ImageImageImage

Tavares a Financial mistake for Leafs?

Moderator: Crowned

Ado05
RealGM
And1: 5,931

Re: Tavares a Financial mistake for Leafs? 

Post#61 » by Ado05 » Fri Dec 7, 2018 3:21 am

It's literally just next year that will be tough for them cap wise. If they get rid of Marleau, then they're perfectly fine. I doubt they'll be able to, so they'll have to get creative. But again, thats just for next season. Their cap problems are so overstated and its just because of the market that Toronto is.

Once Marleau expires (6.25 million), they could potentially get 10+ million in cap space if the cap rises 3.5-4 million (which it should).
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,759

Post#62 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Fri Dec 7, 2018 5:31 am

Yeah, totally Leafs will be fine. Whoever wants to worry about this fine/go ahead.

I am not one of those peeps.

Again *my* expectations for this year: Get to the 3rd round of the play offs with Home ice advantage.

Preferably *WIN* the 3rd round & get to the ECF & win 2 or 3 games in the ECF.

I know some peeps in some other forums are expecting Cup finals...but...eehhh..Rome wasn't built in a day.

I ASSume we will fix the D# this upcoming offseason/draft.
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#63 » by whysoserious » Fri Dec 7, 2018 4:02 pm

As pointed out, next year is the big cap crunch. After that things clear up. I'm sure i'm not thinking of all the risks involved from both sides but any way to to tell Matthews to sign a 1 year deal at much lower amount, sign Marner long term to his big deal and then sign Matthews to his big deal the following season. Or both sign 1 year deals at lower with the hopes of signing in a higher cap a year later. Obviously injuries are the big concern. I'm not sure the impact on their FA status or if 1 year deals are possible in the NHL.

If the Leafs can just get past next year, everything opens up again to keep most of these guys. Gardiner and Marleau are the two guys that are most likely to feel the crunch.
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,288

Post#64 » by JB7 » Fri Dec 7, 2018 5:04 pm

Salary Cap:
2014-15: $69M
2015-16: $71.4M
2016-17: $73M
2017-18: $75M
2018-19: $79.5M

Over the last 5 years, the cap has grown in small increments (between $1.5M and $2.5M), with an exception last year of $4.5M. I imagine the league will not want it growing too quickly, and since it jumped dramatically last year, I would expect the league to try and contain the growth over the next 2 or 3 years (back to smaller increases).

This is of course where the owners make their money.

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs