ImageImage

Making Charlotte Pop - The Kemba Walker Thread 4

Moderators: BigSlam, yosemiteben, Diop, fatlever, JDR720

He staying?

Yes
29
74%
No
10
26%
 
Total votes: 39

User avatar
catch20two
RealGM
Posts: 21,424
And1: 4,665
Joined: Nov 04, 2012
       

Re: Making Charlotte Pop - The Kemba Walker Thread 4 

Post#81 » by catch20two » Sat Dec 1, 2018 5:18 pm

LofJ wrote:Tobias Harris trained with Kemba, and Middleton is from South Carolina and shares the same agent as Kemba (which has paid dividends for us before). If we could land one of them in free agency how much better would that realistically make the team? And would it be enough to convince Kemba that he has a chance to have playoff success here?

Both of those players are in better situations than Charlotte currently. I don’t see how we can land neither to be honest.

But Tobias in Marv’s role would be a severe upgrade and Middleton would be the best scorer we’ve had alongside Kemba in his 8 seasons here.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
User avatar
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,620
And1: 1,543
Joined: Jan 19, 2011
Location: Asheville, NC
 

Re: Making Charlotte Pop - The Kemba Walker Thread 4 

Post#82 » by Snidely FC » Mon Dec 3, 2018 12:28 pm

Since Kemba's monster back to back 100 pts games last month he has shot 26% from 3 (12-46) and 38% overall.

It seemed to me in the ATL loss Kemba played to make a statement to the refs that he deserved star foul call status, repeatedly driving to the hoop and getting stuffed. He has appeared increasingly noticeably frustrated about his treatment by refs (2 techs in last wk), and effected by reduced focus and tired legs (last 3 games 55% from free throw line).

He definitely doesn't get the calls other stars do from refs. But part of that is his style of play, using dekes and acrobatics to get to the rim. In both the PHI loss (Butler block) and ATL loss (Collins block), if had gone hard into the body of the defender (such as, say Lebron would do), he'd give the ref a chance to make the call. I believe this is a factor (along with our lack of reliable 3 pt shooters other than Kemba) in our losses in so many close game. Stars like Lebron and Harden get to the foul line when their shots don't fall at game's end. Kemba doesn't.

Meanwhile, he looks like he needs a night or two off. Star Kemba not as focused as unheralded Kemba.
User avatar
-Ian-
Veteran
Posts: 2,800
And1: 592
Joined: Nov 22, 2008
Location: Philippines
Contact:
 

Re: Making Charlotte Pop - The Kemba Walker Thread 4 

Post#83 » by -Ian- » Wed Dec 5, 2018 5:23 pm

For anyone who would like a #WallpaperWednesday of Kemba.
Read on Twitter
Vanderbilt_Grad
Analyst
Posts: 3,474
And1: 1,253
Joined: Sep 22, 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: Making Charlotte Pop - The Kemba Walker Thread 4 

Post#84 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Sat Dec 8, 2018 2:51 pm

CatgutStitches wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:Good stuff catch.

What that really tells me though is wtf is our deal with not giving Lamb the ball in Q4 if he hits contested 3's at 44%.


Because Kemba is really busy dribbling around and trying to draw a foul on a wild layup at the buzzer?

Stealing this from the Monk thread, because it reminded me of something that I read on twitter about this. Wish I could find the tweet, but the gist was that Kemba was frustrated at not getting calls like other star players near the end of games ... but noted that he rarely tries to draw body contact the way other guys do. Officials will call the body contact, but will not call the arm or other incidental contact nearly as much.
Hope is free.
User avatar
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 15,448
And1: 6,920
Joined: Mar 20, 2013
   

Re: Making Charlotte Pop - The Kemba Walker Thread 4 

Post#85 » by yosemiteben » Sat Dec 8, 2018 3:35 pm

Kemba's December splits...ew. Craziest thing is the -13.7 +/-.

https://stats.nba.com/player/202689/traditional/

When do we get worried?
bravor
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,859
And1: 414
Joined: Dec 30, 2015
 

Re: Making Charlotte Pop - The Kemba Walker Thread 4 

Post#86 » by bravor » Sat Dec 8, 2018 4:13 pm

If you look at the team stats in the 4th, Borrego has tried hundreds of line up and i did not find - unless i am mistaken - any line up with even 10mn played together
The problem is beyond Kemba. There is no one consistent to close the games except maybe MKG (but within his role).
Hornet Mania
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,078
And1: 3,169
Joined: Jul 05, 2014
Location: Dornbirn, Austria
     

Re: Making Charlotte Pop - The Kemba Walker Thread 4 

Post#87 » by Hornet Mania » Sat Dec 8, 2018 4:50 pm

yosemiteben wrote:Kemba's December splits...ew. Craziest thing is the -13.7 +/-.

https://stats.nba.com/player/202689/traditional/

When do we get worried?


I'd give it til the new year. Kemba was bound to regress to the mean (which is still pretty good) eventually, it would be great if he permanently evolved into an every-game 30ppg player but there have only been a handful of those in history.

I agree with the board consensus that he needs to ease up on chasing foul calls at the end of games though. I understand his frustration, 2x (soon 3x) all-star who gets rooked constantly at the end of games, but he can't let the bad treatment have a negative effect on his game.
User avatar
catch20two
RealGM
Posts: 21,424
And1: 4,665
Joined: Nov 04, 2012
       

Re: Making Charlotte Pop - The Kemba Walker Thread 4 

Post#88 » by catch20two » Sat Dec 8, 2018 4:50 pm

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:Kemba was frustrated at not getting calls like other star players near the end of games ... but noted that he rarely tries to draw body contact the way other guys do. Officials will call the body contact, but will not call the arm or other incidental contact nearly as much.

The irony is that you’d think the referees would favor the guy who’s not trying to draw a foul. Often I remember during my basketball days referees would use the excuse for not giving players calls is because they were the one that initiated the contact. There’s just too much inconsistency within the officials that it makes the experience of watching the games aggravating at times.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
wco81
General Manager
Posts: 8,003
And1: 2,054
Joined: Jul 04, 2013
     

Re: Making Charlotte Pop - The Kemba Walker Thread 4 

Post#89 » by wco81 » Sat Dec 8, 2018 5:46 pm

The decision facing the Hornets on Kemba is not that different from what the Celtics faced a few years ago with Isaiah Thomas.

Even before his injury and Kyrie becoming available to the Celtics for trade, there were questions about whether the Celtics should sign Thomas to a big extension, just as he was around 30, even though he was having an MVP-like season, because the history with smaller guards as they aged wasn't favorable.

Despite the numbers he's put up, it's difficult to evaluate if he's someone to build a playoffs contender around, since he's only played 11 playoffs games in his career.

Before giving him an extension which starts at $30 or $35 million or more, you'd ideally want this kind of data. Can the team pay Kemba and vie for other all-star type players? Or do they have to wait until they can get rid of contracts -- Biyombo, Batum, Zeller?

Or does Charlotte give Kemba the big extension just to sell tickets and contend for a low playoff seed for the next couple of years?
User avatar
KEMBAtheMETEOR
RealGM
Posts: 36,326
And1: 6,365
Joined: Feb 05, 2012

Re: Making Charlotte Pop - The Kemba Walker Thread 4 

Post#90 » by KEMBAtheMETEOR » Sat Dec 8, 2018 6:22 pm

Kemba isn't just important to the franchise. He IS the franchise. Pay him what he wants in order to stick around, and worry about everything else second. If we let Kemba walk due to salary concerns and we turn into a Sacramento/Orlando type team that isn't fortunate enough to draft a franchise player for years, I would be worried about eventual relocation.

Marvin and Biz are 18 months away from coming off the books, meaning in six months they will be semi-productive 1-year contracts that can easily be moved, valued as filler rather than albatross contracts. We have all our picks, additional seconds from bad teams, and some young prospects to be excited about. I hope we can swing a trade now rather than later, but we'll be in a position to make moves to alleviate our cap problems and/or significantly improve the team around him.

I hate how much of Kemba's prime we've wasted, but there are still ways forward. If Kemba leaves money on the table to go to a better team, nobody will blame him, but all signs point to him liking Charlotte and wanting to stay here forever.

Kemba isn't Isaiah Thomas. Prime IT was so tiny and reliant on high end athleticism that even a slight loss of athleticism would wreck his game. He was never going to age well. Kemba doesn't have a massive hip injury to worry about, is bigger, and a much better shooter. He'll age better. The 5 year max is a risk but one that's worth the risk. Our team will look very different by the 2nd or 3rd year of that deal.
formerly BizGilwalker
euphorbus
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,865
And1: 447
Joined: Sep 28, 2015
 

Re: Making Charlotte Pop - The Kemba Walker Thread 4 

Post#91 » by euphorbus » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:03 am

As long as they have been playing together, why is it that Walker and Zeller do not run a smooth pick-and-roll? Not this season, at least.
User avatar
catch20two
RealGM
Posts: 21,424
And1: 4,665
Joined: Nov 04, 2012
       

Re: Making Charlotte Pop - The Kemba Walker Thread 4 

Post#92 » by catch20two » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:05 am

euphorbus wrote:As long as they have been playing together, why is it that Walker and Zeller do not run a smooth pick-and-roll? Not this season, at least.

Because Cody don’t have good enough hands to catch the ball in traffic often and saying he can barely finish over the average NBA SG at the rim might be a overstatement.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
User avatar
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 15,448
And1: 6,920
Joined: Mar 20, 2013
   

Re: Making Charlotte Pop - The Kemba Walker Thread 4 

Post#93 » by yosemiteben » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:10 am

catch20two wrote:
euphorbus wrote:As long as they have been playing together, why is it that Walker and Zeller do not run a smooth pick-and-roll? Not this season, at least.

Because Cody don’t have good enough hands to catch the ball in traffic often and saying he can barely finish over the average NBA SG at the rim might be a overstatement.

I don't buy that. The Batum - Cody PNR was a thing of beauty for a while. Cody doesn't have bad hands.
User avatar
catch20two
RealGM
Posts: 21,424
And1: 4,665
Joined: Nov 04, 2012
       

Re: Making Charlotte Pop - The Kemba Walker Thread 4 

Post#94 » by catch20two » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:14 am

yosemiteben wrote:
catch20two wrote:
euphorbus wrote:As long as they have been playing together, why is it that Walker and Zeller do not run a smooth pick-and-roll? Not this season, at least.

Because Cody don’t have good enough hands to catch the ball in traffic often and saying he can barely finish over the average NBA SG at the rim might be a overstatement.

I don't buy that. The Batum - Cody PNR was a thing of beauty for a while. Cody doesn't have bad hands.

Cody drops a lot of passes in traffic right off his hands.

I’m not even familiar with Batum doing a PnR. He’s more of a fake the pick n slip guy.

However Kemba and Cody PnR has success albeit mostly being Kemba shooting off the pick or taking advantage of the big on the switch.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
User avatar
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 15,448
And1: 6,920
Joined: Mar 20, 2013
   

Re: Making Charlotte Pop - The Kemba Walker Thread 4 

Post#95 » by yosemiteben » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:16 am

catch20two wrote:I’m not even familiar with Batum doing a PnR. He’s more of a fake the pick n slip guy.

Really dude? The Batum - Cody PNR was a staple when Batum got here and the next season. We talked about it all the time on here.

EDIT: Lamar even did a YouTube vid documenting it -
User avatar
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 30,742
And1: 11,883
Joined: Jul 24, 2004
Location: House of Diop
 

Re: Making Charlotte Pop - The Kemba Walker Thread 4 

Post#96 » by Diop » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:35 am

yosemiteben wrote:
catch20two wrote:I’m not even familiar with Batum doing a PnR. He’s more of a fake the pick n slip guy.

Really dude? The Batum - Cody PNR was a staple when Batum got here and the next season. We talked about it all the time on here.

EDIT: Lamar even did a YouTube vid documenting it -

why dont they attempt that anymore??

what a way to get 2 of our underachievers involved
Image
User avatar
catch20two
RealGM
Posts: 21,424
And1: 4,665
Joined: Nov 04, 2012
       

Re: Making Charlotte Pop - The Kemba Walker Thread 4 

Post#97 » by catch20two » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:47 am

yosemiteben wrote:
catch20two wrote:I’m not even familiar with Batum doing a PnR. He’s more of a fake the pick n slip guy.

Really dude? The Batum - Cody PNR was a staple when Batum got here and the next season. We talked about it all the time on here.

EDIT: Lamar even did a YouTube vid documenting it -

Seems like eons ago.

Definitely something that they should go to when Kemba is struggling and Lamb can’t create to change things up a bit.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
User avatar
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 44,704
And1: 2,458
Joined: Jul 01, 2005

Re: Making Charlotte Pop - The Kemba Walker Thread 4 

Post#98 » by BigSlam » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:54 pm

Diop wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:
catch20two wrote:I’m not even familiar with Batum doing a PnR. He’s more of a fake the pick n slip guy.

Really dude? The Batum - Cody PNR was a staple when Batum got here and the next season. We talked about it all the time on here.

EDIT: Lamar even did a YouTube vid documenting it -

why dont they attempt that anymore??

what a way to get 2 of our underachievers involved

Because JB runs a pass and replace, motion type offense.
BBMF'ers
CatgutStitches
Junior
Posts: 300
And1: 174
Joined: Jun 27, 2015
     

Re: Making Charlotte Pop - The Kemba Walker Thread 4 

Post#99 » by CatgutStitches » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:19 pm

Redick: The way you play, too, a lot is asked of you in terms of playing both sides of the ball. I mean, when we played Charlotte, you had to guard Kemba Walker in the second half of the game.

Butler: Kemba gave me 60. Let’s go to a different game.

Redick: The other night, second half, you had to guard Blake Griffin.

Butler: Locked that up. Blake can’t score on me. I don’t care what you say. You heard that, Blake. Ain’t worried about you.


:lol:
euphorbus
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,865
And1: 447
Joined: Sep 28, 2015
 

Re: Making Charlotte Pop - The Kemba Walker Thread 4 

Post#100 » by euphorbus » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:00 pm

Free Agency Looming:

https://sports.yahoo.com/kemba-walker-hornets-free-agency-looming-183429098.html

<“I’ve been doing this. Of course, my points are higher, but that’s really it,” Walker said. “The way I’m playing, I’ve been playing like this the last couple years.”>

Amen, brother.

Return to Charlotte Hornets