Zion - The only one that matters

Moderator: bwgood77

stoo
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,095

Zion - The only one that matters 

Post#1 » by stoo » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:27 pm

Anybody else feels all of the teams are tanking, making silly trades and manufacturing problems/bad results excuses - for reason Zion only? (Except Suns - they are moving to Vegas, but still might get Zion :) )
NotSinceWilt
Axolotl
Starter
And1: 2,201

Re: Zion - The only one that matters 

Post#2 » by Axolotl » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:28 pm

stoo wrote:Anybody else feels all of the teams are tanking, making silly trades and manufacturing problems/bad results excuses - for reason Zion only? (Except Suns - they are moving to Vegas, but still might get Zion :) )

With the new lottery odds, not really.
From the basketball's perspective, travel is a nice pause from being pounded to the floor.
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,633

Post#3 » by DaGawd » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:32 pm

Yeah the new odds make the lottery standings even more of a crapshoot than it was before
BaF
Washington Wizards
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,292

Post#4 » by Cavsfansince84 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:32 pm

Its not just Zion. Its Zion + feeling like there are a few other guys who could be mvp type players but its really like that almost every year.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,961

Post#5 » by DusterBuster » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:34 pm

stoo wrote:Anybody else feels all of the teams are tanking, making silly trades and manufacturing problems/bad results excuses - for reason Zion only? (Except Suns - they are moving to Vegas, but still might get Zion :) )

What silly trades of manufactured problems have been made by teams?

I'm not really seeing anything out of the ordinary for teams that were expected to be bad vs teams that weren't expected to be bad. No one has blown their team up yet in an attempt to be worse.

Come back to us in another month or two after some real moves have been made, than we'll know if anyone is deliberately tanking or not.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,961

Post#6 » by DusterBuster » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:34 pm

DaGawd wrote:Yeah the new odds make the lottery standings even more of a crapshoot than it was before

I'm actually really interested to see how that works out.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Post#7 » by SpeedyG » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:41 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
DaGawd wrote:Yeah the new odds make the lottery standings even more of a crapshoot than it was before

I'm actually really interested to see how that works out.
Just go back and look at the Hornets/Magic lottery results that got Charlotte Zo/LJ and Orlando Shaq/Webber (Penny).

That's the kind of stuff that can happen under new lottery rules.

Sent from my SM-G925T using RealGM mobile app
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
ProfessorJM
Starter
And1: 1,176

Post#8 » by ProfessorJM » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:50 pm

I don't think it's just Dyin' for Zion alone with the lottery odds anyway but tanking obviously increases your chance of getting a superstar that can get your team out of the doldrums...
DarthTeufel
Junior
And1: 641

Post#9 » by DarthTeufel » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:50 pm

Which teams? Every West team is competitive as **** minus the Suns. I could definetly see the East teams all fighting at the end of the year not to be one of those bottom seeds though looool. So looks like the inept East front offices want to tank, while no Western team(the better front offices) are interested in him. :rofl:

from my point of view this looks like a weak draft class. I don't see any game changers and Zion(the most heralded prospect) has plenty of red flags/bust potential His knees are going to take a pounding due to that weight/explosiveness combination. at the NBA I don't think he has the skills to be dominant and he won't have the size/athletic advantage he has against college guys.

who knows maybe he'll be the next Charles Barkley, but I'm not betting on it.
stoo
Bench Warmer

Post#10 » by stoo » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:58 pm

DarthTeufel wrote:Which teams? Every West team is competitive as **** minus the Suns. I could definetly see the East teams all fighting at the end of the year not to be one of those bottom seeds though looool. So looks like the inept East front offices want to tank, while no Western team(the better front offices) are interested in him. :rofl:

from my point of view this looks like a weak draft class. I don't see any game changers and Zion(the most heralded prospect) has plenty of red flags/bust potential His knees are going to take a pounding due to that weight/explosiveness combination. at the NBA I don't think he has the skills to be dominant and he won't have the size/athletic advantage he has against college guys.

who knows maybe he'll be the next Charles Barkley, but I'm not betting on it.

Haven't you guys been telling that about Zion prior to him enrolling college???
NotSinceWilt
stoo
Bench Warmer

Post#11 » by stoo » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:59 pm

I am saying... imagine you got Lebron 15 years back... There is a big chance your team wins championship... and sells tons of merchandise
NotSinceWilt
Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 15,208

Post#12 » by Patches Perry » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:10 pm

stoo wrote:I am saying... imagine you got Lebron 15 years back... There is a big chance your team wins championship... and sells tons of merchandise

Zion belongs nowhere near LeBron in terms of surefire prospects. He is probably more Blake Griffin.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,636

Post#13 » by Johnny Bball » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:19 pm

stoo wrote:I am saying... imagine you got Lebron 15 years back... There is a big chance your team wins championship... and sells tons of merchandise

Officially now the most overrated prospect ever.
stoo
Bench Warmer

Post#14 » by stoo » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:20 pm

Patches Perry wrote:

Zion belongs nowhere near LeBron in terms of surefire prospects. He is probably more Blake Griffin.

Why not... I don't believe you have to be the same type of player, but same type of influencer... There are a lot of people around predicting Zion is the next big thing (with difference to all other next big things being "he is different"... and that's why I noted Zion and not Barret)... Not everybody 15 years back predicted Lebron the next big thing (though it was close :) ), but not significantly lesser amount of people (including basketball proffesionals) are saying similar thing about Zion today
NotSinceWilt
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,042

Post#15 » by Sixerscan » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:25 pm

There are fewer teams tanking this year than in past years. The teams aren't really tanking that hard either.
Funcrusher
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,130

Post#16 » by Funcrusher » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:42 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:

:lol: He's having one of the best college basketball seasons of all time and he's the most overrated prospect ever? Lemme guess, "RJ is the best prospect on the team."
gh123 wrote:Zion lucky if he gets 18 ppg on decent efficiency. Midget big man is a no-career in NBA. Chuck being the only wonder. Zion is the next Tractor Trailer at best.
Funcrusher
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by Funcrusher » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:44 pm

Patches Perry wrote:

He's closer to the AD/KD/Oden tier of prospect than he is to Griffin, who wasn't a OAD.
gh123 wrote:Zion lucky if he gets 18 ppg on decent efficiency. Midget big man is a no-career in NBA. Chuck being the only wonder. Zion is the next Tractor Trailer at best.
Johnny Bball
RealGM

Post#18 » by Johnny Bball » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:49 pm

Funcrusher wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:

:lol: He's having one of the best college basketball seasons of all time and he's the most overrated prospect ever? Lemme guess, "RJ is the best prospect on the team."

They're the most overrated pair I have ever seen at this point. So no, guess again.

Lol comparing him to James, It's just **** hilarious. :lol:
Funcrusher
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by Funcrusher » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:54 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
Funcrusher wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:

They're the most overrated pair I have ever seen at this point. So no, guess again.

Yeah, stick to your day job, bud, you're out of you're element here.

It's an insult to compare him to other great prospects because...
Johnny Bball
RealGM

Post#20 » by Johnny Bball » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:58 pm

Funcrusher wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
Funcrusher wrote: :lol: He's having one of the best college basketball seasons of all time and he's the most overrated prospect ever? Lemme guess, "RJ is the best prospect on the team."

Yeah, stick to your day job, bud, you're out of you're element here.

It's an insult to compare him to other great prospects because...

You just accused me of overrating Barrett, then rated Zion as one of the greatest prospects ever? Are you even old enough to have a day job? That's a rhetorical question.

Return to NCAA Basketball