Funcrusher
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,216

Re: Zion - The only one that matters 

Post#21 » by Funcrusher » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:05 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
Funcrusher wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
They're the most overrated pair I have ever seen at this point. So no, guess again.

Lol comparing him to James, It's just **** hilarious. :lol:

Yeah, stick to your day job, bud, you're out of you're element here.

It's an insult to compare him to other great prospects because...

You just accused me of overrating Barrett, then rated Zion as one of the greatest prospects ever? Are you even old enough to have a day job? That's a rhetorical question.

To argue that Zion isn't a great prospect, and that he isn't approaching an elite tier in that regard makes it clear you don't know what you're talking about. And then the old age retort, you're really precious. Are you smarter than a fifth grader? That's a rhetorical question.
gh123 wrote:Zion lucky if he gets 18 ppg on decent efficiency. Midget big man is a no-career in NBA. Chuck being the only wonder. Zion is the next Tractor Trailer at best.
Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 15,338

Post#22 » by Patches Perry » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:12 pm

stoo wrote:
Patches Perry wrote:
stoo wrote:I am saying... imagine you got Lebron 15 years back... There is a big chance your team wins championship... and sells tons of merchandise

Zion belongs nowhere near LeBron in terms of surefire prospects. He is probably more Blake Griffin.

Why not... I don't believe you have to be the same type of player, but same type of influencer... There are a lot of people around predicting Zion is the next big thing (with difference to all other next big things being "he is different"... and that's why I noted Zion and not Barret)... Not everybody 15 years back predicted Lebron the next big thing (though it was close :) ), but not significantly lesser amount of people (including basketball proffesionals) are saying similar thing about Zion today

Zion is uniquely athletic, but any evaluation of basketball skills should tell he is not on the same planet as an 18 year old LeBron James.
stoo
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,149

Post#23 » by stoo » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:16 pm

Patches Perry wrote:
stoo wrote:
Patches Perry wrote:
Zion belongs nowhere near LeBron in terms of surefire prospects. He is probably more Blake Griffin.

Why not... I don't believe you have to be the same type of player, but same type of influencer... There are a lot of people around predicting Zion is the next big thing (with difference to all other next big things being "he is different"... and that's why I noted Zion and not Barret)... Not everybody 15 years back predicted Lebron the next big thing (though it was close :) ), but not significantly lesser amount of people (including basketball proffesionals) are saying similar thing about Zion today

Zion is uniquely athletic, but any evaluation of basketball skills should tell he is not on the same planet as an 18 year old LeBron James.

That is true... But he has way cooler name
NotSinceWilt
Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 15,338

Post#24 » by Patches Perry » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:21 pm

Funcrusher wrote:
Patches Perry wrote:
stoo wrote:I am saying... imagine you got Lebron 15 years back... There is a big chance your team wins championship... and sells tons of merchandise

He's closer to the AD/KD/Oden tier of prospect than he is to Griffin, who wasn't a OAD.

The overall point is that this is not a once in 10-15 years prospect. Its a once in 2-3 years prospect at best.
Funcrusher
Lead Assistant

Post#25 » by Funcrusher » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:25 pm

Patches Perry wrote:
Funcrusher wrote:
Patches Perry wrote:

He's closer to the AD/KD/Oden tier of prospect than he is to Griffin, who wasn't a OAD.

The overall point is that this is not a once in 10-15 years prospect. Its a once in 2-3 years prospect at best.

I disagree, Zion's not LeBron but he's also not simply a unique athlete. He's closer to present day Blake Griffin in terms of skillset, while being more athletic than any iteration of Blake. He absolutely is a once in 10-15 years prospect.
gh123 wrote:Zion lucky if he gets 18 ppg on decent efficiency. Midget big man is a no-career in NBA. Chuck being the only wonder. Zion is the next Tractor Trailer at best.
JockItch43
Analyst
And1: 353

Post#26 » by JockItch43 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:35 pm

Just the fact that we’ve never seen a prospect with his athletic ability at his unique size makes him a once in a lifetime prospect. Now what that develops into at the NBA level is up for debate.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,607

Post#27 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:42 am

He's not LeBron level prospect, I think that's clear. I also think it's too early to put him in the KD/AD/Oden level of prospect as well. We have to remember the majority of his games so far are against horrible teams.

He has looked fantastic against the top tier teams so far the few times he has played them. But it's been a small sample so far. If he can keep up close to this level of play, I think it will be hard not to put him in the AD/KD/Oden level of prospect.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,452

Post#28 » by bwgood77 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:34 pm

A once in a 10-15 or 2-3 year prospect. You mean in the type of prospect or type of impact? I mean this past year we had Luka who I'd rather have on my team than Zion.
Funcrusher
Lead Assistant

Post#29 » by Funcrusher » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:09 am

bwgood77 wrote:A once in a 10-15 or 2-3 year prospect. You mean in the type of prospect or type of impact? I mean this past year we had Luka who I'd rather have on my team than Zion.

I would say Luka's a really great prospect and definitely not a 2-3 year guy. With that being said, I'm still not sure he's generational and would for sure rather have Zion, who is trending toward generational status IMO.
Von Bismarck
Pro Prospect
And1: 651

Post#30 » by Von Bismarck » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:40 am

Funcrusher wrote:I would say Luka's a really great prospect and definitely not a 2-3 year guy. With that being said, I'm still not sure he's generational and would for sure rather have Zion, who is trending toward generational status IMO.

So, you'd rather have an athletic freak from college, who might be a star, but also a bust, than already a star in this league? Luka puts 20-6-5 on 37% from 3pt line at the age of 19. Lulz.
ric munchn
Senior
And1: 443

Post#31 » by ric munchn » Wed Jan 9, 2019 6:11 pm

This guy is awesome! Obviously Lebron was a better prospect but even Lebron developed way more than anyone thought, so its an unfair bar. One of the best prospects ever who turned into one of the best players ever. Zion is freaking electric, he will sell out every stadium next year, and be must see probably more than any rookie since Lebron. Id say if he turns into Blake Griffin thats a great thing for him, who know maybe he will be even better but not every player is Lebron or Jordan.
afarmenian
Analyst
And1: 3,504

Post#32 » by afarmenian » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:01 am

ric munchn wrote:This guy is awesome! Obviously Lebron was a better prospect but even Lebron developed way more than anyone thought, so its an unfair bar. One of the best prospects ever who turned into one of the best players ever. Zion is freaking electric, he will sell out every stadium next year, and be must see probably more than any rookie since Lebron. Id say if he turns into Blake Griffin thats a great thing for him, who know maybe he will be even better but not every player is Lebron or Jordan.

I think Blake Griffin just in terms of the sheer physical gravity is a great comp. Everyone knew that Blake was so powerful and just polished enough that barring injury he would come in as a force. Thats the way people should start looking at Zion. There is zero chance an injury free Zion is going to be bust. 7 footers are going to be getting out of his way next years its going to be fun to watch.
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,650

Post#33 » by prophet_of_rage » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:27 pm

JockItch43 wrote:Just the fact that we’ve never seen a prospect with his athletic ability at his unique size makes him a once in a lifetime prospect. Now what that develops into at the NBA level is up for debate.
We saw it in Lebron, LJ, Barkley...

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
KLS
Ballboy
And1: 8

Post#34 » by KLS » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:42 am

stoo wrote:
Patches Perry wrote:
stoo wrote:

That is true... But he has way cooler name

Zion is physically another freak of nature like Lebron and more. But what makes Lebron the best player in the world (as least recently) is his superior basketball iq and his passing game besides his scoring. He simply makes his teammates so much better and his teams have been going to the Final for how many years now? 8? Gosh! Saying that Zion is not just athletic freak either. He does have amazing dribbling skill of a guard and can pass plus shooting 3s. Will see how he will perform playing against NBA defenders though. No doubt he will be a star but to be a legend like Lebron will take a lot of hard work besides talent, the mark of a tough competitor that you can see in players like Lebron, Kobe and MJ. But Zion will be another human highlight reel for NBA fans in the years to come.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#35 » by Jedzz » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:36 pm

Zion is meeting another freak today. Tacko Falls is keeping him away from the basket so far early in their UCF/Duke matchup. Zion's only points so far, a three from beyond the right elbow. Stuffed by Tacko at the net at least once already.
cloud8111
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#36 » by cloud8111 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:37 am

Cavsfansince84 wrote:Its not just Zion. Its Zion + feeling like there are a few other guys who could be mvp type players but its really like that almost every year.

So true...

Return to NCAA Basketball