James Harden FGM vs FTM

Moderator: Doctor MJ

life_saver
General Manager
And1: 5,842

Re: James Harden FGM vs FTM 

Post#21 » by life_saver » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:10 pm

This comparison makes no sense...especially between Jordan and Durant/Harden's FGM...Harden and Jordan obviously have taken lot more 3 point attempts..if you wanna compare, atleast compare the number of points Harden/Durant scored through field goals vs number of points they scored through free throws
rockmanslim
General Manager
And1: 5,284

Post#22 » by rockmanslim » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:11 pm

click

"Harden's a guy that averages 26 in the NBA, but if he was on the playground with you he'd only average about 5 because they wouldn't let him get those free throws." --Scott Hastings, April 6, 2013

og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,168

Post#23 » by og15 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:12 pm

Gooner wrote:
Pharenheit wrote:Product of the joke NBA as it is today

It's ridiculously soft right now. That's why you can't compare numbers of today's players, to those of players from the past.

Do you guys all really not know about Maggette? I mean I know he wasn't a "star" and wasn't on many winning teams, but he put up 20 ppg seasons doing this even more than Harden is capable, he just wasn't as skilled overall to take it to the max. All this it is product of the NBA today stuff is laughable to Maggette. Maggette's career FTr is higher than Harden's career high.

Maggette finished his career with 4605 FTM and 4065 FGM, 540 more FTM than FGM. He already had a 55.7% FTr in 99-00 as a rookie! In 04-05 when he averaged 22 ppg and 10 FTA, it was 66.6% FTr, and his career high in 06-07 was 78.3%. Imagine what his disparity would be if he was a volume 3PT shooter, lol

Yes it is not a common occurrence, but you guys are being a bit naive if you think Harden couldn't or wouldn't be able to do what he is doing now in the "old" NBA. What Harden is doing is not about any new rules in the last 20 years, or anything like that, it's about a player specifically wanting to play that way, most just don't (and yes, also can't necessarily do it).

Maggette was similarly a master of playing the angles and many times arguably initiate the contact off the drive type guy. Great yell upon contact too.
Johnny Fontane
Head Coach
And1: 11,785

Post#24 » by Johnny Fontane » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:14 pm

Lol cause Maggette is a good measuring stick.
JellosJigglin
RealGM
And1: 9,400

Post#25 » by JellosJigglin » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:19 pm

dynamic duo wrote:only metta and rondo can save us from the biggest flopping duo in nba history.

This is so beautiful. I can't stop watching.
RIP BASKETBALL REASONS (DEC 8TH 2011 - OCT 11TH 2020)
gabri3l3
Junior
And1: 468

Post#26 » by gabri3l3 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:25 pm

OP and all the free throws haters need to funnel all their hate towards defenders reaching and FOULING him. Harden is doing what works for him and his team even if to some people that's not a fun way to play basketball. He doesn't play to please you. Me personally I would sign any day to see a master of his craft like Harden fool opponents into fouling him because it shows again his craftiness, body control, feel for the game and IQ.
He gets his fair share of superstar whistles too but that's what every superstars gets so you either deal with it or just stop watching the NBA; he's just better than other guys at drawing the contacts
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#27 » by NuggetsWY » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:50 pm

Nope, don't like Harden's style of play but he's very good at it and it's the way the game is being called. Sure would hate to see more players taking advantage of this style - oh well, too late, we're seeing more of it.

This is not Harden's fault - it's a result of the rules and the way the refs are being taught to call the game. Blame the NBA, not the player smart enough to take advantage of the rules.

Players adjusted to adding a wider lane and adding offensive 3 seconds and adding 3 pt shots and adding defensive 3 seconds and eliminating hand-checks and ... everyone complains but eventually people adjust. It'll be interesting to see how this whole topic is viewed in 3-5 years.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,168

Post#28 » by og15 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:42 pm

Pharenheit wrote:Lol cause Maggette is a good measuring stick.
What are you measuring exactly? You want to propose that Harden's game is due to the NBA's product and I'm telling you that there was a pre-Harden who was doing this at a greater degree but with lesser usage since almost 20 years ago.

This isn't about being a star or not, in fact people generally tend to argue that non stars would find it harder to draw FT's consistently like that. I don't agree because mainly people forget about usage, but there are a lot of non stars who had high FT rates.

Maggette never consistently had the usage to be in double digit FTA, but when he had the usage to score just 22 ppg, it came along with 10 FTA. Why? Because he played partly to just draw fouls, all of us Clippers fans know it very well. He sought FT's, similar to Harden. Can Harden score very well without FT's? Yes, but Harden also partly plays many possessions specifically to draw fouls, and not that other stars don't, but he does so more than them.

So could a past star have patterned their game on getting FTA, yes, yes they could, they don't need any of the recent rules for that and Maggette as a similar perimeter player to Harden is proof of that, without even being a star. The thing is that while many payers will develop ways to draw FT's, the majority are not just going out to bait defenders into fouling them as much as possible.

So again, what are you measuring exactly?
NoZoLakers
General Manager
And1: 3,358

Post#29 » by NoZoLakers » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:52 pm

prime wade with shaq that beat dall in the finals got NOTHING ON Harden. In that series no dall player could even sneeze on wade vicinity w/o a foup called....Harden on the other hand can draw a foul on a player 2 ft away
Johnny Fontane
Head Coach
And1: 11,785

Post#30 » by Johnny Fontane » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:10 pm

og15 wrote:
Pharenheit wrote:Lol cause Maggette is a good measuring stick.
What are you measuring exactly? You want to propose that Harden's game is due to the NBA's product and I'm telling you that there was a pre-Harden who was doing this at a greater degree but with lesser usage since almost 20 years ago.

This isn't about being a star or not, in fact people generally tend to argue that non stars would find it harder to draw FT's consistently like that. I don't agree because mainly people forget about usage, but there are a lot of non stars who had high FT rates.

Maggette never consistently had the usage to be in double digit FTA, but when he had the usage to score just 22 ppg, it came along with 10 FTA. Why? Because he played partly to just draw fouls, all of us Clippers fans know it very well. He sought FT's, similar to Harden. Can Harden score very well without FT's? Yes, but Harden also partly plays many possessions specifically to draw fouls, and not that other stars don't, but he does so more than them.

So could a past star have patterned their game on getting FTA, yes, yes they could, they don't need any of the recent rules for that and Maggette as a similar perimeter player to Harden is proof of that, without even being a star. The thing is that while many payers will develop ways to draw FT's, the majority are not just going out to bait defenders into fouling them as much as possible.

So again, what are you measuring exactly?

We're seeing it league wide man. NBA officiating is the worst its ever been. Yes Maggette may have been a player before his time as far as FT's and you probably know it first hand being a Clippers fan

Point is though that officiating is a joke and being that Harden is one of the many who get treated as if they were an only child of the league takes away from the product brother. The whole freedom of movement takes the already gray area of officiating and makes it much worse. The consistency if calls is a compete parody
Baski
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,950

Post#31 » by Baski » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:02 am

NBAAnthem wrote:
Baski wrote:Never mind i found them.

Curry-2846 more FGs than FTs
Davis-1472 more FGs than FTs
Westbrook-1700 more FGs than FTs
Leonard-1237 more FGs than FTs
Paul-2085 more FGs than FTs

Harden seems to depend on FTs to get his points to an abnormal extent. I feel he deserved the MVP last season, but I can't see myself rooting for this guy.

Harden started his career off on the bench in okc his first 3 years and still racking up the points at a record pace

Kudos to him. Doesn't change the fact that he basically lives on FTs. Pretty pathetic

Return to Statistical Analysis