ImageImage

2019 Packers Off Season Thread - Cut Day Saturday

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

Dandridgefav
Junior
And1: 66

Re: 2019 Off Season Thread 

Post#21 » by Dandridgefav » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:00 am

I HATE Rodgers insists on playing. IF he gets hurt worse its a disaster for the franchise - not so for big $ Aaron. And if we drop in the draft order and fail (again) to get impact pass rusher..But OK I'll go with it (what choice do I have?) IF Rodgers really uses these last games to meld with MVS, StBrown, Jake & Tonyon and doesn't waste snaps throwing to Cobb.& Kendricks

As the first guy anywhere who called for Pack to trade for Mack - even if it took both 1sts the Pack had. I heard Oakland chose Bears because they wanted earlier picks - dumb a$$e$ - Raiders didn't know what they had in Mack - they didn't see getting Mack would put Packers record beneath and draft picks ahead of Bears?

Even with this colossal f&@k up that will plague us for years - the Pack can regroup quickly and beat the Bears into the ground. Hell we had plenty of chances to beat them this past game. For GB to be super again - First and foremost -

Aaron Rodgers has to quit being a pussy - about young receivers - stop the aweful body language crap and pained, suffering facial expressions. This is where his real legacy ends or begins. Does he jump up - dust himself off - recommit to being the best and embrace all the new young faces who will look to him to lead the team to the Superbpwl or does he not?
Dandridgefav
Junior
And1: 66

Post#22 » by Dandridgefav » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:03 am

Also if Aaron plays that pretty much means Bahktiari & Adams must play even tho those 2 REALLY should be shut down.
CWoodfan
Junior
And1: 288

Post#23 » by CWoodfan » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:19 pm

The Packers are truly at a crossroads and GM Brian Gutekunst has some really big decisions ahead of him in 2019. Ted Thompson left Gutekunst with a number of overpaid players in Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, Clay Matthews, and Nick Perry. Gutekunst cut Nelson, will he do the same to Perry and let Cobb and Matthews walk away as free agents?

Then you have Brian Bulaga who is not so much overpaid as he is always hurt. And Mason Crosby probably does not deserve to be one of the highest paid kickers based on his play in 2019.

And does Gutekunst bring back Jimmy Graham and Tramon Williams who he signed last year?

Going to be a very interesting 2019 in Green Bay.
rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,082

Post#24 » by rilamann » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:25 pm

The Packers would need a bunch of help, but if they lose these final 2 it's mathematically possible they could get the 2nd pick.
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,844

Post#25 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:26 pm

rilamann wrote:The Packers would need a bunch of help, but if they lose these final 2 it's mathematically possible they could get the 2nd pick.

That means they're winning them both. We all understand that.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,844

Post#26 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:29 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:No one wants to hear it re: Rodgers but it appears they've made the fatal mistake of paying a player for past production. He's still a good player, but for him to justify that contract he has to be the Godgers that it's quite possible he's no longer capable of.

They need a significant rebuild with new faces across most positions. Here they actually do need to "draft and develop" versus trying for quick fixes with Jimmy Graham types IMO. So if they do that, Rodgers contract technically shouldn't kill you while you sort out whether he has anything left in the tank.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,913

Post#27 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:56 pm

Read on Twitter
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,365

Post#28 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:29 pm

And this is why you don't botch salary on free agent deals for aging veterans like so many of the casual fans have been clamoring for. Graham has been a massive disappointment. Clean sweep of the TE position this offseason would probably be appropriate.

Perry, Bulaga, and Cobb are forever hurt and not reliable. Have absolutely zero interest in bringing Clay back unless it's on a massively reduced salary and we move him inside. His days as an effective pass rusher are done. Only guy that I think we need to prioritize re-signing is Breeland (and move him to Safety where he belongs).
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,155
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#29 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:30 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:And this is why you don't botch salary on free agent deals for aging veterans like so many of the casual fans have been clamoring for. Graham has been a massive disappointment. Clean sweep of the TE position this offseason would probably be appropriate.

Perry, Bulaga, and Cobb are forever hurt and not reliable. Have absolutely zero interest in bringing Clay back unless it's on a massively reduced salary and we move him inside. His days as an effective pass rusher are done. Only guy that I think we need to prioritize re-signing is Breeland (and move him to Safety where he belongs).

I agree with this other than Clay. I'll admit to not paying a ton of attention to the Packers the past few weeks, but if he's moderately effective as a pass-rusher, he may be one of the best guys on the free agent market. One year at a modest price could be doable.
msiris
RealGM
And1: 1,678

Post#30 » by msiris » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:31 pm

Why on earth would anyone want Clay back. Pretty much useless.
Ride the tank
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#31 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:36 pm

msiris wrote:Why on earth would anyone want Clay back. Pretty much useless.

If one believes that the window is somewhat small with Rodgers and that we also cannot go all Washington Redskins on the offseason and buy 5 free agents that have $ that trickles into 2023...

It probably wouldn't hurt to sign some shorter-term free agents to fill some holes. Let's go out and check some articles for the best OLBs available...

*checks notes*

Oh, there's this Clay Matthews guy that is ranked in the top 3 or 4 by most places as the top pass rusher available. If he'd come back for 1 year, $5 million, I'd consider it.
msiris
RealGM
And1: 1,678

Post#32 » by msiris » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:50 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:

If one believes that the window is somewhat small with Rodgers and that we also cannot go all Washington Redskins on the offseason and buy 5 free agents that have $ that trickles into 2023...

It probably wouldn't hurt to sign some shorter-term free agents to fill some holes. Let's go out and check some articles for the best OLBs available...

*checks notes*

Oh, there's this Clay Matthews guy that is ranked in the top 3 or 4 by most places as the top pass rusher available. If he'd come back for 1 year, $5 million, I'd consider it.
Your telling me we cant a find a guy to replace 3.5 sacks? Good thing we have 2 1st round picks.
Ride the tank
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,315

Post#33 » by trwi7 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:52 pm

Matthews never should've been moved back outside once we used him inside. He was losing effectiveness as a rusher a while ago and was clearly our best inside backer until Martinez broke out last year. He would still be our second best and a pretty good ILB now imo.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#34 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:59 pm

msiris wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

*checks notes*

Your telling me we cant a find a guy to replace 3.5 sacks? Good thing we have 2 1st round picks.

Well, if not for the stupid penalties, he'd have more/have made more of a positive impact.

I am not really set on bringing him back by any means. What I am saying, though, is that if we make some cuts and have a giant pool of cap space, there aren't that many good free agents out there. If he wants to play inside more or will come back for very cheap on a 1 year deal...he might be one of the better options out there.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,244

Post#35 » by jakecronus8 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:02 pm

I'm ok with clay back exclusively as an ILB, on a snap count and a very small salary.
Do it for Chuck
MAC1987
Starter
And1: 526

Post#36 » by MAC1987 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:56 pm

CWoodfan wrote:The Packers are truly at a crossroads and GM Brian Gutekunst has some really big decisions ahead of him in 2019. Ted Thompson left Gutekunst with a number of overpaid players in Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, Clay Matthews, and Nick Perry. Gutekunst cut Nelson, will he do the same to Perry and let Cobb and Matthews walk away as free agents?

Then you have Brian Bulaga who is not so much overpaid as he is always hurt. And Mason Crosby probably does not deserve to be one of the highest paid kickers based on his play in 2019.

And does Gutekunst bring back Jimmy Graham and Tramon Williams who he signed last year?

Going to be a very interesting 2019 in Green Bay.

I don't think many of these are questions. They are almost sure things. And I'm really optimistic about next year. 2 1st round picks, will have over 50 million available with the sure cuts above. If there is 1 dominate pass rusher in free agency I think that should be considered along with 1 guy on the offensive line. Then duplicate that pass rusher / o line in the first round of the draft. 2nd/3rd round dominate TE. And a coach that makes a Bud like impact....fun...
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,357

Post#37 » by M-C-G » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:56 pm

Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,236

Post#38 » by Matches Malone » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:01 am

Do you guys think Josh Jackson could make the move to safety? I want to see that ball hawk we saw at Iowa but idk if he's too slow to do that at corner in the NFL. Thoughts?
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,913

Post#39 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:59 pm

Read on Twitter
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#40 » by crkone » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:23 pm

Matches Malone wrote:Do you guys think Josh Jackson could make the move to safety? I want to see that ball hawk we saw at Iowa but idk if he's too slow to do that at corner in the NFL. Thoughts?

I think it's too early in his career to move him. If they lock up Breeland then maybe but he can still compete for some time at CB with King being injured every other game. I guess a good sign is the in season pickups haven't been too terrible in games at CB.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |

Return to Green Bay Packers