ImageImageImage

Kelly Oubre news and highlights

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

How has Oubre performed in regards to your expectations for him so far this season?

Exceeded my expectations
55%
About where I expected him to perform
41%
Subpar performance so far
5%

Total votes: 44

Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,637

Kelly Oubre news and highlights 

Post#1 » by Qwigglez » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:25 am

Pre-draft profile

Draft Express wrote:The intrigue around Oubre starts with his prototypical tools for a NBA wing player, standing 6-7 in shoes, an ideal basketball frame, and a wingspan measured between 7-1 and 7-2. Although not a freakish athlete, he is nevertheless an extremely smooth and fluid player. The place where he'll be able to put those tools to use most prominently early in his NBA career should be on the defensive end, where he is far from a finished product, but shows terrific potential as a wing stopper. Oubre moves his feet exceptionally well for his size and has the length to contain pretty much any type of backcourt player. He can put terrific pressure on the ball and has excellent instincts for getting in the passing lanes (2.2 steals per-40). He also rebounds well for his position (7.6 D-Reb per-40) and comes up with an occasional block at times as well. Once his frame fills out (he has plenty of room to add another 10-15 pounds, if not more) and he figures out how to play with the same type of intensity level on every possession, he has a chance to be an absolute handful on this end of the floor, as long as he puts his mind to it. Offensively, Oubre's most NBA-ready attribute is likely his jump-shot, as he has soft touch, natural scoring instincts, a nice follow through, and smooth mechanics when in rhythm. He was a little bit streaky at times (36% 3P%) as a freshman, partially due to shot-selection issues, but he has a nice foundation in place to make this part of his game a dangerous weapon with repetition. Oubre has a tendency to change up his release point at times when rushed, sometimes shooting the ball on the way down, off the side of his hand, or with very little arc, but he's improved steadily on this part of his game over the past few years and should continue to do so in time with proper instruction. -

As a shot-creator, Oubre is very much a work in progress still. His ball-handling skills are rudimentary, almost entirely confined to his stronger (left) hand, and with a fairly high dribble that slows him down off the bounce and neutralizes his excellent natural tools to a certain extent. He doesn't get to the rim in the half-court all that prolifically for that reason, and is just an average finisher when he does, making 53% of his shots around the basket, a fairly average rate for a player with his physical tools. Part of that is due to his still-developing frame, some of that is because of his extreme reluctance to finish with his right hand, and part is because he simply isn't the type of monster leaper vertically to overcome those challenges at this stage of his career against a rotating defense waiting for him in the paint. Oubre doesn't compensate for that with a tremendous feel for creating offense for his teammates, as his 8% assist percentage ranks last among wing players in our Top-100 prospect rankings. He is a reluctant passer at times, but also doesn't have a great understanding of time, score, and situations at this stage, which hopefully will improve as his career moves on. While defensively he should be able to defend both wing positions in the NBA, offensively he is more of a small forward right now due to his average shot-creation ability for himself and others. Oubre wasn't ready to be a go-to guy for Kansas as a freshman, and shouldn't be expected to be anything close to that as a NBA rookie. While he is extremely gifted physically and is blessed with a great deal of natural talent, he'll need to get much more consistent with his approach to the game, and improve his overall awareness and polish on both ends of the floor to reach his very high potential down the road.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Kelly-Oubre-NBA-Draft-Scouting-Report-and-Video-Breakdown-4850/

Last year's highlights
;

Some games this year.

Looking at some advanced stats, I don't think Oubre necessarily needs a quality PG to get buckets. He's catch and shoot threes % is right around what he's averaging at 30.4%. His pull up pts per game is at 1.6, however he's shooting 47.5% on these type of shots. His corner 3PT is at 35%, which is slightly lower than Ariza's season corner 3PT% at 36. I'd like to think with Ayton in the middle, Oubre has an outlet for passes and can get his assists numbers up. Everyone keeps mentioning the cancerous locker room that the Wizards have, and I'd imagine it stems from Wall/Beal since they are considered the leaders. Really hoping our locker room is more stable and Oubre can thrive here, where perhaps he can be a key rotational player for us.
Looking at his highlights he is a long athletic 3 who can explode and get to the rim at will. His FG% by distance from 0-3 feet is 64% whereas Josh Jackson is shooting just 49% from this distance. Oubre was playing about 26 minutes per game, and Ariza was playing 34 minutes per game, so we could give Oubre the same amount of minutes and the other 8 minutes Ariza was getting, we could give those to Bridges/Jackson.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,588

Re: Welcome Kelly Oubre!! 

Post#2 » by Skybox » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:32 am

I think you guys got a steal in Oubre, from a financially-strapped and generally confused WAS organization. You’ll have to pay him, but I think Oubre is a pretty complete SF who may thrive outside the Wall/Beal star dysfunction and the Porter “we paid him so...” shadows. Oubre has skill, athleticism, and a healthy toughness. Giving up Ariza, at this point, isn’t that big a deal- especially for a building team. Let his audition begin.
Joel Embust
Head Coach
And1: 3,055

Post#3 » by Joel Embust » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:39 pm

Building block! The people of Phoenix will see soon enough. Love the addition especially during this hot streak.
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,911

Post#4 » by Fo-Real » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:46 pm

Both he and Josh went to Kansas, hope they turn this into a brotherhood thing instead of competition with each other. Josh looked great against the Knicks!!!!
darealjuice
Suns Forum Future All Star
And1: 8,784

Post#5 » by darealjuice » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:27 pm

I'm actually pretty excited about this acquisition, and I seem to be one of the few here that prefers Oubre to Brooks. Big opportunity for him to go from 4th fiddle on a reportedly dysfunctional team to a team currently playing a rookie and a pretty inconsistent sophomore at his primary position.

I feel good about his fit in the offense. His game is kind of a mid-point between Bridges and Jackson's: more dynamic on the ball than Bridges, better shooter than Jackson. He's a streakier shooter than Bridges and not the passer that Jackson is, but better around the rim than both. Hopefully he brings it on defense like them, he certainly has the tools to be a good defender.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#6 » by Illmatic12 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:29 pm

Qwigglez wrote:

Kelly's high fg% at the rim is due to wide open dunks in transition and things of that nature, not because he's good on drives. His off-ball game is pretty solid in terms of making opportunistic cuts and knowing how to fill lanes, when Wall & Beal are on the court he could sneak around unnoticed and get himself easy baskets. The issue is any type of contested layup/dunk attempt.

He is a poor finisher on drives because 1) he hasn't developed his right hand at all and 2) he's a strictly 2-footed jumper and unable to explode off of 1 foot. Simply put, Oubre's lack of balance around the basket is the most frustrating thing about his game - athleticism without body control is nothing. You'll see that's what separates him from someone like say, TJ Warren who has a natural sense of balance and shooting touch.

Oubre is a very hyperactive player on the court, both in good and bad ways. He has unnaturally quick reflexes for a player his size and can make Kawhi-esque deflections due to his length and twitchy hands+feet. When he's sicc'ed on smaller opposing PGs he turns into an attack dog and can absolutely harrass them with length and quickness . Examples:

That does NOT mean he's a plus defender though - he loses focus off the ball and usually lets players drive by him in 1v1 situations (the only explanation I can think of is that he's self-conscious about getting into foul trouble). Unfortunately he realized, as Jabari Parker put it, they don't play guys to play defense and despite lip service in interviews he seems more interested in being a scorer in his contract year.

Despite his overall inconsistency KO will definitely have some big games every now and then where his threes are falling. His jumper is mechanically beautiful from the waist up but he often doesn't set his feet before shooting, which should be an easy fix if he can ever get it down.

KO was not an issue in the locker room and was well liked by his teammates. Wall and Beal particularly were sad to see him go bc they worked out in the summers and spent a lot of time off the court. Markieff loved him (Kansas Jayhawks fraternity), he even hung out with the G-League guys on our team. The issue is his lack of awareness ON the court about his game and understanding what he is good at, it has nothing to do with any locker room friction. Kelly aspires to be a flashy scorer and fashion modeling mogul , and I think the interest in growing his "brand" has sort of blurred the vision of how he should be playing. He has to embrace that young Ariza or Marcus Smart-type role instead of trying to be a Devin Booker or Jason Tatum in this league.

All told, I very much enjoyed Oubre's personality and general verve for life - I wish him the best and will continue checking in to follow his career. He's a hard-worker and will be well-liked around the Phoenix organization once people get to know him (assuming they don't trade him again). Also, if you attend Suns games expect to see a devoted fan section of teenage girls in Oubre jerseys and middle aged aunties screaming his name :lol:
sunsfever68
Sixth Man
And1: 310

Post#7 » by sunsfever68 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:30 pm

I think there is minutes for everyone in the future especially since Troy Daniels, Jamal Crawford, and Ryan Anderson will be gone next year.

You can play Booker Bridges Warren Jackson Oubre at the 2-4 spots
Melton and Okobo at the 1

Ayton and Holmes at the 5
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#8 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:03 pm

sunsfever68 wrote:I think there is minutes for everyone in the future especially since Troy Daniels, Jamal Crawford, and Ryan Anderson will be gone next year.

Are we sure Crawford's not returning next season?
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#9 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:27 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:

Kelly's high fg% at the rim is due to wide open dunks in transition and things of that nature, not because he's good on drives. His off-ball game is pretty solid in terms of making opportunistic cuts and knowing how to fill lanes, when Wall & Beal are on the court he could sneak around unnoticed and get himself easy baskets. The issue is any type of contested layup/dunk attempt.

He is a poor finisher on drives because 1) he hasn't developed his right hand at all and 2) he's a strictly 2-footed jumper and unable to explode off of 1 foot. Simply put, Oubre's lack of balance around the basket is the most frustrating thing about his game - athleticism without body control is nothing. You'll see that's what separates him from someone like say, TJ Warren who has a natural sense of balance and shooting touch.

Oubre is a very hyperactive player on the court, both in good and bad ways. He has unnaturally quick reflexes for a player his size and can make Kawhi-esque deflections due to his length and twitchy hands+feet. When he's sicc'ed on smaller opposing PGs he turns into an attack dog and can absolutely harrass them with length and quickness . Examples:

That does NOT mean he's a plus defender though - he loses focus off the ball and usually lets players drive by him in 1v1 situations (the only explanation I can think of is that he's self-conscious about getting into foul trouble). Unfortunately he realized, as Jabari Parker put it, they don't play guys to play defense and despite lip service in interviews he seems more interested in being a scorer in his contract year.

Despite his overall inconsistency KO will definitely have some big games every now and then where his threes are falling. His jumper is mechanically beautiful from the waist up but he often doesn't set his feet before shooting, which should be an easy fix if he can ever get it down.

KO was not an issue in the locker room and was well liked by his teammates. Wall and Beal particularly were sad to see him go bc they worked out in the summers and spent a lot of time off the court. Markieff loved him (Kansas Jayhawks fraternity), he even hung out with the G-League guys on our team. The issue is his lack of awareness ON the court about his game and understanding what he is good at, it has nothing to do with any locker room friction. Kelly aspires to be a flashy scorer and fashion modeling mogul , and I think the interest in growing his "brand" has sort of blurred the vision of how he should be playing. He has to embrace that young Ariza or Marcus Smart-type role instead of trying to be a Devin Booker or Jason Tatum in this league.

All told, I very much enjoyed Oubre's personality and general verve for life - I wish him the best and will continue checking in to follow his career. He's a hard-worker and will be well-liked around the Phoenix organization once people get to know him (assuming they don't trade him again). Also, if you attend Suns games expect to see a devoted fan section of teenage girls in Oubre jerseys and middle aged aunties screaming his name
All of this.

Oubre is a good dude. Ernie Grunfeld is not. The Wizards have a knack for throwing money at bad players (Mahinmi, Nicholson, Jason Smith, Jan Vesely); but not retaining solid veterans (Ariza, Temple, Mack).

Oubre is going to excel and Grunfeld will further showcase his ineptitude.

Sent from my SM-J337T using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,798

Post#10 » by Saberestar » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:31 pm

sunsfever68 wrote:I think there is minutes for everyone in the future especially since Troy Daniels, Jamal Crawford, and Ryan Anderson will be gone next year.

Crawford needs to stay if he wants to...an I hope so.

Best veteran player that we have had since Nash and Hill.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#11 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:46 pm

If he comes in and embraces the move and plays team ball he could be here a long time.... if not it will be a short stay.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
stoo
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,095

Post#12 » by stoo » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:47 pm

Saberestar wrote:

what about moreland we just aquire at 5?

He looks like Holmes that can pass. I think he is brought to stay. Eyetest shows he is kinda little slower then Holmes, but his numbers don't
NotSinceWilt
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,798

Post#13 » by Saberestar » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:02 pm

stoo wrote:
Saberestar wrote:

what about moreland we just aquire at 5?

He has not even played a single minute yet for the Suns, so I don't have any opinion about him.
He probably has an unguaranteed contract, he is not a big part of our team. Just a third string C that give us some insurance for injuries/fouls.

Regarding Oubre, I am OK with his acquisition but I would have preferred a player with better basketball IQ and passing ability.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#14 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:03 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:If he comes in and embraces the move and plays team ball he could be here a long time.... if not it will be a short stay.

The Wizards had real problems with rebounding and paint protection. Kelly has famously long arms, and all of Jackson, Bridges and TJ are pretty good at protecting the rim for small forwards, but certainly you'd think Kelly + Markieff + Porter would have been better than our group on the boards.... then again, so much is about heart, and we seem to have had a transplant in that department recently....

Kelly and TJ might struggle sharing the court due to the fact that neither passes the ball (though in TJ's case, the focus on scoring makes much more sense). I'm skeptical Kelly will be okay being TJ's backup primarily. I'm skeptical we'd pay market for Kelly to play that role, too.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,365

Post#15 » by bwgood77 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:13 pm

darealjuice wrote:I'm actually pretty excited about this acquisition, and I seem to be one of the few here that prefers Oubre to Brooks. Big opportunity for him to go from 4th fiddle on a reportedly dysfunctional team to a team currently playing a rookie and a pretty inconsistent sophomore at his primary position.

I feel good about his fit in the offense. His game is kind of a mid-point between Bridges and Jackson's: more dynamic on the ball than Bridges, better shooter than Jackson. He's a streakier shooter than Bridges and not the passer that Jackson is, but better around the rim than both. Hopefully he brings it on defense like them, he certainly has the tools to be a good defender.

I think Oubre might be the better player than Brooks, but given the fact we could have retained Brooks with a team option for $1.5 million (I think, unless he would have been a RFA), and the fact Oubre would make a lot more on the market, even if Brooks is a RFA, I think Brooks may have made more sense for financial purposes and having max cap space this summer. Though as has been pointed out, we don't have to match any offer sheet for Oubre until we know who else we might be able to sign, so at least we know at worst case we probably have him and probably at least another $8-$15 million or so on Holmes and maybe a PG.
darealjuice
Suns Forum Future All Star
And1: 8,784

Post#16 » by darealjuice » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:43 pm

bwgood77 wrote:I think Oubre might be the better player than Brooks, but given the fact we could have retained Brooks with a team option for $1.5 million (I think, unless he would have been a RFA), and the fact Oubre would make a lot more on the market, even if Brooks is a RFA, I think Brooks may have made more sense for financial purposes and having max cap space this summer. Though as has been pointed out, we don't have to match any offer sheet for Oubre until we know who else we might be able to sign, so at least we know at worst case we probably have him and probably at least another $8-$15 million or so on Holmes and maybe a PG.

True, Brooks is cheaper next year and will almost certainly be cheaper on his next contract. It'll be interesting to see what kind of offers Oubre gets, especially if he plays well with us. Also curious to see if we're able to do anything with our cap space.
Kerrsed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,578

Post#17 » by Kerrsed » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:28 pm

Read on Twitter
Its #DUMPSTERFIRE SEASON! #TeamTRAINWRECK -KERRSED- The Mod, The Myth, The Legend
stoo
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,095

Post#18 » by stoo » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:42 pm

Kerrsed wrote:
Read on Twitter

You think it means he s stayin.. That was the deal with our front office and him prior to trade proabbly (or right after)
NotSinceWilt
Kerrsed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,578

Post#19 » by Kerrsed » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:57 pm

stoo wrote:
You think it means he s stayin.. That was the deal with our front office and him prior to trade proabbly (or right after)

Yeah, i think he is staying. We got rid of our "Power Forward", and Warren has been playing great as our makeshift undersized stretch 4, so that creates opportunity at SF. Pretty much SG/SF/PF is position-less on our team. We have Warren/Bridges/Jackson and now Oubre that will be in the game playing anyone of those positions (Maybe notso much SG when Booker is in).
Its #DUMPSTERFIRE SEASON! #TeamTRAINWRECK -KERRSED- The Mod, The Myth, The Legend
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,365

Post#20 » by bwgood77 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:29 pm

Kerrsed wrote:
stoo wrote:

Yeah, i think he is staying. We got rid of our "Power Forward", and Warren has been playing great as our makeshift undersized stretch 4, so that creates opportunity at SF. Pretty much SG/SF/PF is position-less on our team. We have Warren/Bridges/Jackson and now Oubre that will be in the game playing anyone of those positions (Maybe notso much SG when Booker is in).

I think he might stay if we play well, but given we didn't ask for him initially I am guessing our plan isn't to keep him.

Return to Phoenix Suns