Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,231

Re: 2019 Off Season Thread 

Post#41 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:51 pm

Read on Twitter
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Dandridgefav
Junior
And1: 66

Post#42 » by Dandridgefav » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:54 am

Because Bryan only ever plays half a season - ever since that cheap shot block by warren sapp on interception return. I like Bryan but I'd at this point rather have a YOUNGER RT that rates in HIGH 80s and RARELY misses a snap than Bulaga whose in and out status contributes to our RG instability.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,941

Post#43 » by humanrefutation » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:25 pm

I came across a highlight package of Rodgers from 2013, when he threw for a career high 480 yards against Washington.

Look at the difference in his playstyle versus today - lots of three step drops and quick throws; a willingness to check down and let his receivers make plays; the confidence to make throws with accuracy into tight spaces; etc. He's not spending every play dancing for 10 seconds waiting for one throw.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#44 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:19 pm

Dandridgefav wrote:Because Bryan only ever plays half a season - ever since that cheap shot block by warren sapp on interception return. I like Bryan but I'd at this point rather have a YOUNGER RT that rates in HIGH 80s and RARELY misses a snap than Bulaga whose in and out status contributes to our RG instability.

That was Chad Clifton that Sapp cheap shotted :D Super dirty play.

But overall you're right his health just can't be counted on; he's has so many leg injuries that it's taken a cumulative toll on him.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
RubberSoul
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,755

Post#45 » by RubberSoul » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:14 pm

humanrefutation wrote:I came across a highlight package of Rodgers from 2013, when he threw for a career high 480 yards against Washington.

Look at the difference in his playstyle versus today - lots of three step drops and quick throws; a willingness to check down and let his receivers make plays; the confidence to make throws with accuracy into tight spaces; etc. He's not spending every play dancing for 10 seconds waiting for one throw.

I realize this is just a highlight video but it makes me believe we are not wasting Aaron Rodgers’s prime but that we have already wasted Aaron Rodgers’s prime. He isn’t remotely even close to as accurate or as decisive anymore.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,941

Post#46 » by humanrefutation » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:29 pm

RubberSoul wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:I came across a highlight package of Rodgers from 2013, when he threw for a career high 480 yards against Washington.

I realize this is just a highlight video but it makes me believe we are not wasting Aaron Rodgers’s prime but that we have already wasted Aaron Rodgers’s prime. He isn’t remotely even close to as accurate or as decisive anymore.

The thing that is evident to is the extent to which he's playing within the system here, in contrast to his current approach. I think it's evident that as his trust in MM as eroded, his willingness to play within the system has as eroded as well. Couple that with his remarkable ability to improvise and make spectacular plays, it has lead to a toxic mix in which he simply tries to improvise constantly, and it is hard to be accurate if you are dependent on telepathic route-running with rookies.

A new coach + a better scheme will hopefully lead to better throws and more confidence from Aaron.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,328

Post#47 » by crkone » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:51 pm

humanrefutation wrote:
RubberSoul wrote:

The thing that is evident to is the extent to which he's playing within the system here, in contrast to his current approach. I think it's evident that as his trust in MM as eroded, his willingness to play within the system has as eroded as well. Couple that with his remarkable ability to improvise and make spectacular plays, it has lead to a toxic mix in which he simply tries to improvise constantly, and it is hard to be accurate if you are dependent on telepathic route-running with rookies.

A new coach + a better scheme will hopefully lead to better throws and more confidence from Aaron.

A lot of these checkdowns are also wide open and not poorly executed messes. The OL also looks pretty damn good.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
ColeWorld23
Sixth Man
And1: 679

Post#48 » by ColeWorld23 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:46 am

Can’t believe that game was five years ago, holy **** time goes by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dandridgefav
Junior

Post#49 » by Dandridgefav » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:29 pm

No way Rodgers has suddenly deteriorated that much in one season. Either there were undisclosed health issues or his upset with McCarthy was far worse than he admits. Or maybe Danica is on the verge of dumping him
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#50 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:04 pm

A snippet on an early McGinn draft research

Defensive linemen, of all shapes, sizes and positions, will be dominant in the National Football League draft of 2019.

“If there aren’t nine in the first round I’ll be shocked,” one general manager said Friday.

Another personnel man has 10 headed for the first round depending on how many of the underclassmen opt for the draft.

“I’ve never seen anything like it,” said the scout, a veteran with more than 30 drafts under his belt. “Call off the names.

“Most NFL teams don’t have defensive lines as good as Clemson’s. Then they have three backups that are just as good.”

Almost every team could use at least one defensive lineman. After that, it’s hit or miss.

“The weakness of the draft this year looks to be running back and defensive back,” one executive in personnel said. “The strength looks to be defensive line and linebackers. Quarterback won’t be good unless (Dwayne) Haskins (Justin) Herbert come out.”
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,308

Post#51 » by Mags FTW » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:57 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:A snippet on an early McGinn draft research

“The strength looks to be defensive line and linebackers. Quarterback won’t be good unless (Dwayne) Haskins (Justin) Herbert come out.”

Exactly what we need. Front 7.
Dandridgefav
Junior

Post#52 » by Dandridgefav » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:52 am

How many of the 10 1s-fire 1st rounders excel at rushing the passer from the edge? and how many are just inside guys and how many are mainly run stuffers?

Pack doesn't need guys who are great inside run stuffers if they are only ordinary at rushing the passer
same goes for LB need pressure from the outside most

LOVE to get both pass rushing DE & OLB with our two 1sts

then take best RT & RG with 2nd & 3rd

Pack will be soild in the trenches

then in 4th (2-with compensentory)- FS and TE
OR - Any good TE's or FS in FA or a trade?

(since draft is thin at CB we need to keep Breeland at CB especially depending on King's injurries
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,308

Post#53 » by Mags FTW » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:55 pm

Despite some here saying the rookie WRs suck, I tend to agree with this opinion:

Fifteen games into their rookie seasons, St. Brown and Valdes-Scantling look like bona fide NFL receivers, and there’s a good chance in a couple years we’ll look back on this draft and say Gutekunst did well getting them in the late rounds (Valdes-Scantling in the fifth and St. Brown in the sixth). In fact, with the improvement they’ve shown in their first seasons, it’s not out of line to wonder if either or both could eventually reach a Jordy Nelson-level of performance, if not better.

Analysis: Packers' pair of rookie receivers look like genuine draft bargains

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/12/24/analysis-packers-pair-rookie-wrs-look-like-genuine-draft-bargains/2408114002/
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,565

Post#54 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:46 am

The rookie receivers don't suck. Well, J'Mon Moore might, but MVS and EQ have been great revelations considering how raw they were coming out of college.
Wisky4life
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,071

Post#55 » by Wisky4life » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:26 pm

Packers "Updated" 2019 Master Plan

1 Year Deals:
Matthews...........$5 mil
Cobb.................$5 mil
Kendricks/Lewis...$3 mil
WIlkerson...........$5 mil
Ryan.................$3 mil
Breeland..............................3 years $21 mil

Cut Nick Perry now.

Sign 1 Guard 3 years $24 mil...........Sign 1 Safety 3 years $18 mil

Spend your draft capital on OLB (2), Offensive Line (2) Safeties (1) Defensive-Line (1) Tight End (1) for a majority of your picks.
“We’re going to turn this team around 360 degrees.” –Jason Kidd
0BobLobLaw0
Starter
And1: 2,018

Post#56 » by 0BobLobLaw0 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:29 pm

Bad thing about Rodgers concussion is that we won't have weekly updates on recovery, who knows how serious it will be. His 3rd now in the NFL?

Not good.
Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed? You don't need double talk... You need Bob Loblaw.
BallinBucks420
Pro Prospect
And1: 108

Post#57 » by BallinBucks420 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:15 am

Wisky4life wrote:Packers "Updated" 2019 Master Plan

1 Year Deals:
Kendricks/Lewis...$3 mil

Cut Nick Perry now.

Spend your draft capital on OLB (2), Offensive Line (2) Safeties (1) Defensive-Line (1) Tight End (1) for a majority of your picks.

absolutley no on Kendricks and Lewis..Let Cobb walk..Not paying Breeland 7 mil per year either...You really wanna bring Lance Kendricks back? have you watched him play this year?
Wisky4life
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,071

Post#58 » by Wisky4life » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:58 am

BallinBucks420 wrote:
Wisky4life wrote:Packers "Updated" 2019 Master Plan

1 Year Deals:
Kendricks/Lewis...$3 mil

Cut Nick Perry now.

absolutley no on Kendricks and Lewis..Let Cobb walk..Not paying Breeland 7 mil per year either...You really wanna bring Lance Kendricks back? have you watched him play this year?

Only one of Kendricks/Lewis. Cheap 1 year 3 mil deal. Totally
Bringing all of those guys back on that cheap of deal is worth its risk in depth.
Breeland might be able to be had for cheaper but he is the only one I would extend past 1 year.

Sure you can easily cut out some of those guys but I would try and bring them back. But I'd put more chips in the pot for the Guard and Safety as I mentioned as well. You bring all those guys back and sign 2 more + draft picks. This team will be solid next year with a new coach.
“We’re going to turn this team around 360 degrees.” –Jason Kidd
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#59 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:13 am

Home opponents: Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins, Denver Broncos, Oakland Raiders, Carolina Panthers, Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Minnesota Vikings.

Road opponents: Dallas Cowboys, New York Giants, Kansas City Chiefs, Los Angeles Chargers, San Francisco 49ers, Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Minnesota Vikings.
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,746

Post#60 » by Treebeard » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:27 am

MickeyDavis wrote:Home opponents: Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins, Denver Broncos, Oakland Raiders, Carolina Panthers, Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Minnesota Vikings.

Road opponents: Dallas Cowboys, New York Giants, Kansas City Chiefs, Los Angeles Chargers, San Francisco 49ers, Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Minnesota Vikings.

Well, that's a fairly tough set of tasks on the road.... (Bears, Vikes, and Lions are always tough road games)

Return to Green Bay Packers