ImageImageImage

Stillwater's monster draft thread (consolidated)

Moderator: ijspeelman

Since these threads have been combined who you got at 5

Culver
43%
Sekou
4%
Hunter
14%
Hayes
4%
Porter K
7%
Garland
7%
Bitdatze
4%
White
No votes
Bol
7%
other
11%

Total votes: 28

Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Re: tank thread/ draft watch 

Post#21 » by Stillwater » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:59 am

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/draft_simulator/view/531085/
Here is my latest mock.
Not sold Cavs would pick Zion over Barrett just yet. I might but not sold they would if Love is going to remain on this roster through the rebuild.
threw some names in there that have been making some noise and based some of my projections on pick locations based on potential scenarios where teams playing well now drop in the standings in the west etc.
I think if the Cavs are no able to get the top 2 for a choice of either Zion or Barrett they will likely go with someone noone expects like Hachimura or Langford.Maybe not as high as 3rd where Little and Porter are in play but anywhere after that I think the odds increase on it.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#22 » by Stillwater » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:23 am

It's only one win but the way they beat Philly makes me project them to continue to improve and end the season strong.
Maybe 5th by record is more realistic than top 3
But I'm also thinking they might play themselves right out of the pick.
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#23 » by gflem » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:38 pm

I really hope they dont play themselves out of the pick, and I think the FO is smart enough to not let that happen. They really need to be top two or three in this upcoming draft.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#24 » by Stillwater » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:16 pm

gflem wrote:I really hope they dont play themselves out of the pick, and I think the FO is smart enough to not let that happen. They really need to be top two or three in this upcoming draft.

Unless they win a top 4 spot via lottery, I don't see it provided the current team keeps showing up.
Probably still keep pick but I'm now focusing my attention on prospects like Dort,Kevin Porter,Paschall and Hachimura in the 6 and down range with a slim chance Grimes slips.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,374

Post#25 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:31 pm

:sour:

Cleveland Cavaliers Could Get Two Future NBA Stars And Create A Powerful Franchise

The Cleveland Cavaliers are tanking. They recently just parted ways with JR Smith because he came out and said so. They just lost the best player in the world and now have no other hope than to try and lose as many games as possible.

The Cavs currently have a great chance to get the number 1 pick in this year’s draft and if they were to acquire it they could draft Zion Williamson from Duke.

The Cavs will likely be bad in his rookie season as well, and that’s a good thing. Teams usually want to tank for at least 2-3 seasons so they can acquire lots of young talent and let it grow. The Cavs could do this in the 2019-2020 season and try and get LaMelo Ball who will probably have declared himself for the NBA draft in the summer of 2020.

Nick Young suggested that teams should tank and get both stars in the future.

Read on Twitter
Fadeaway World.net
tundraknight
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,907

Post#26 » by tundraknight » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:57 pm

^ They even made a Lamelo Ball billboard in downtown Cleveland doing a Lebron pose. :noway:

http://www.cleveland19.com/2018/11/09/lamelo-ball-gets-lebron-treatment-billboard-welcomes-him-ohio/

This is so cringe worthy and sadly hilarious at the same time.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#27 » by Stillwater » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:20 am

No way Ball family gets a job for Gilbert
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#28 » by Stillwater » Tue Dec 4, 2018 10:15 pm

By the moves that have been made I do not think "tanking" is the correct definition of this org's plan at all right now.
That could change more if Love does not play well in his return etc or dependent on if Hill is moved at the dl etc.
Right now I have the Cavs slipping out of the high lottery as the season progresses and losing enough games to retain their draft pick
but not enough barring lottery luck to get a 5 star prospect.
This is my current mock :https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/draft_simulator/view/533367/
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#29 » by Stillwater » Thu Dec 6, 2018 5:10 pm

Heres my Cavs big board for potential picks 1-10

Zion
Reddish
Little
Barrett
K.Porter
Bol
Hachimura
Culver
Hunter
Langford
--------
Others that will likely go after the 10th but be gone before any late firsts the Cavs acquire :
McDaniels
SImiShixxu
Doumbouya
K.Johnson
Gafford
Grimes
Paschall
Hoard
Bassey
Alexander-Walker
Cavs potential targets if a late 1st is acquired for Hill or Smith:
B.Clarke
K.Grady
Brissett
Hayes
Okpala
Reid
---------
Morant ,Garland,Dort,Ponds and White omitted unless they are picked for another team in a trade.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#30 » by Stillwater » Sat Dec 8, 2018 1:44 pm

Watch for Cavs to be getting a mid first in a TT deal in the next week after more players available.
tundraknight
Lead Assistant

Post#31 » by tundraknight » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:37 pm

Stillwater wrote:Watch for Cavs to be getting a mid first in a TT deal in the next week after more players available.

I haven’t heard anything about a TT trade yet. But I think that would have a big impact for our tank.

TT is quietly having a very good season and is like a glue guy and leader. I don’t think the Cavs would win half as many games without him. I would be thrilled to get a 1st for him.

The only trade rumor I heard about recently is the Rockets and Pelicans both having interest in JR Smith.

Edit: And I just found out TT will be out 2-4 weeks.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25509147/tristan-thompson-cleveland-cavaliers-weeks-sprained-foot
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#32 » by Stillwater » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:08 pm

tundraknight wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Watch for Cavs to be getting a mid first in a TT deal in the next week after more players available.

I haven’t heard anything about a TT trade yet. But I think that would have a big impact for our tank.

TT is quietly having a very good season and is like a glue guy and leader. I don’t think the Cavs would win half as many games without him. I would be thrilled to get a 1st for him.

The only trade rumor I heard about recently is the Rockets and Pelicans both having interest in JR Smith.

Edit: And I just found out TT will be out 2-4 weeks.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25509147/tristan-thompson-cleveland-cavaliers-weeks-sprained-foot

Yep the 2 week-1month off gives him time to look for a new crib wherever they are tentatively shipping him too :nod: / a solid
move out of respect to him for his lunch pale mentality throughout his years here.
No honestly I have no idea if they would even try to trade him.Definitely wouldn't if the return wasn't significant given his leadership has been understated, But they probably had to at least consider it, as there was plenty of buzz building with his best season as a pro raising the interest. I don't actually think a sprained toe is going to lessen his value either, but it will definitely help the draft pick placement.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#33 » by Stillwater » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:51 am

Here's my latest mock where Cavs flip Smith for Knight/filler and pick up a mid-late firsthttps://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/draft_simulator/view/534640/
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#34 » by Stillwater » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:35 am

After how well this team is playing going toe to toe with the Pacers I don't see them having a high lottery pick even if Love stays out all season. They are building their chemistry and so here is where I have them right now projecting a 7-12 range pick obviously if it falls after 10 it aint theirs. https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/draft_simulator/view/535866/
tundraknight
Lead Assistant

Post#35 » by tundraknight » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:05 am

Stillwater wrote:After how well this team is playing going toe to toe with the Pacers I don't see them having a high lottery pick even if Love stays out all season.

Yeah this Cavaliers team is reminding me of the Nets last season that played very hard.

Just think though, if the Pacers hadn’t choked the game away with all those missed feee throws then the Cavaliers would be tied for the worst record overall.

All the top 4-5 worst teams are very close to each other record wise.

One thing I didn’t anticipate is for the Bulls to be THIS BAD this season. I’m stlll hoping the Bulls can turn things around when everyone is finally healthy and they build more chemistry.

Also too I’ve heard several trade rumors of other teams interested in several of our productive players like Hood and Clarkson. I’m not sure if the front office wants to trade them to continue and stock pile picks while deliberately trying to get worse this season to make the tank much stronger. It’s difficult to predict how everyone will unfold at this time.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#36 » by Stillwater » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:22 am

tundraknight wrote:
Stillwater wrote:After how well this team is playing going toe to toe with the Pacers I don't see them having a high lottery pick even if Love stays out all season.

Yeah this Cavaliers team is reminding me of the Nets last season that played very hard.

Just think though, if the Pacers hadn’t choked the game away with all those missed feee throws then the Cavaliers would be tied for the worst record overall.

All the top 4-5 worst teams are very close to each other record wise.

One thing I didn’t anticipate is for the Bulls to be THIS BAD this season. I’m stlll hoping the Bulls can turn things around when everyone is finally healthy and they build more chemistry.

Also too I’ve heard several trade rumors of other teams interested in several of our productive players like Hood and Clarkson. I’m not sure if the front office wants to trade them to continue and stock pile picks while deliberately trying to get worse this season to make the tank much stronger. It’s difficult to predict how everyone will unfold at this time.

Yep this is why I'm reluctant to think we have a high lottery pick by record because unless they do trade Love,which seems highly unlikely to garner a solid return anytime before next summer it's seems highly unlikely to me they won't be winning more games with him on the floor and add the way they are playing hard as hell as developing chemistry for the most part it just seems this org will be reluctant to tank by trading good players that actually want to be here such as Hood even though they moved Korver and Hill who wanted no part of a retool/rebuild.
I am going to be holding out all season for that draft day trade of Swish due to his old cba contract...unless they just give him a buyout, which seems unlikely as well given how it ended.
I think it's a strong possibility as well they don't make any deadline deals without significant justification beyond tanking so if there are any more then yeah we could be right in the top 1-5 easy.
tundraknight
Lead Assistant

Post#37 » by tundraknight » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:39 am

Bulls and Hawks both picked up nice wins tonight.

The Cavaliers and Bulls are now tied for the worst overall record. And their next game happens to be against each other this Sunday.

How huge will this tank game be?

It think Cavaliers have a better chance of winning.

The Bulls continue to be hit hard with injuries. Portis and Lavine both out, and I forget who else.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#38 » by Stillwater » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:07 pm

^ I'm having a difficult time figuring this team out... they were playing great aggressive defense one game then it went to hell in the next 2. Inconsistency could possibly put them in the top 3 on draft night esp with
Sexton struggling with mental errors of late and it's magnified by Delly's better IQ etc.
If Sexton doesn't figure it out soon they could lose enough games through FEB that whatever improvements happen with Love won't change the outcome enough to be out of the high lottery.
I think right now though it will be difficult for them to "lose" the top 10 pick unless 4 teams jump into the top 4 on lottery drawing day, I mean I cannot see Sexton slowing down his progression even if these types of barriers he's running into continue as I think he will overcome it all so anything is possible.
I can't see them being this erratic all season either where they would get any worse,only better,esp with Love and TT back in the lineup soon.
1 final note Burks is taking way to many shots, and is helping the tank effort if that is the orgs true goal.
Osman & Sexton need to attack attack attack and keep working on their shot, because right now it isn't there consistently at all.
My biggest gripe is we are bad in a year where their are no AD's or Lebron caliber prospects. Zion is a freak athlete with a lot of skill for a bigger player but he isn't that type of ceiling prospect and nobody else after him is a complete package at all.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#39 » by Stillwater » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:32 am

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/draft_simulator/view/536859/
Here is my mock based on seemingly great fit for each team as is accounting for expiring's etc with depth needs also a factor.
There are several players that have moved into the first round due to this for me and often is the case in the actual drafts.
It wouldn't surprise me prospects like Herro, Hayes or Shittu all go in the first as well if they stay in the draft.
With others like Smailagic ,Randolph & Hoard also being valued higher by some orgs.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#40 » by Stillwater » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:56 pm

Zion : the extreme explosive athletic ability and a high IQ set him apart for his body type and it is basically impossible to compare his skill set and body type with previous nba comps. I am wondering just how high on the Cavs board he really is other than most other top prospects also are lacking complete games or even signs of one.
Barrett is very iso dominant which would not be an asset unless we want to go back to Lebron ball.
others have shown small bursts of upside but nothing that screams future all star at all.
Bol is weak as hell & would take a couple years to fill out if he even can.
Reddish seems the opposite of Sexton when it comes to motor and work ethic & not what this org would look for.
K. Porter is not a great shooter despite the Jalen Brown athleticism( similar college player) but does have a high motor.
Little is far from a high iq player and needs a lot of coaching to catch up to his athleticism and ability to drive and defend.
Rui is too old to take in the top 5 and seems to have little upside left with no guarantee he's even a starter at the next level.
Morant is redundant with Sexton
Hunter does everything pretty well but nothing elite.
Langford seems like another Chucker type who can't shoot the 3.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers