Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Re: Future of the Trailblazers 

Post#61 » by Sinobas » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:32 am

d-train wrote:
Sinobas wrote:
d-train wrote:It's to late to correct the non-problems and no-damage caused by the 2016 spending spree. Time has eleminted the effects and all that remains is an investment that so far didn't payoff. So far, 2016 cost money but nothing in lost opportunity.

You don't think we would have retained Ed Davis for what he got if weren't for the luxury tax implications?

No, I think Davis was let go because Blazers want to develop Collins, Leonard, and Biggie. Had they kept Davis, we would have no minutes for him. We don't really have minutes for Leonard and Biggie. It would be a terrible situation for Davis. Blazers want their bigs to have high post shooting and passing skills. So, they can be a threat in pick and rolls, and be a playmaking outlet to relieve trapping pressure from Lillard. Collins, Leonard, and Biggie have these skills. Davis doesn't have these skills.

Oi...."develop" Leonard who will be turning 27 this season. The Blazers rarely ever played Leonard last year except under certain circumstances (injuries, foul trouble, 4th quarter of a blowout). Biggie will only play out of necessity this year as well. Collins was getting regular minutes last year, even with Ed Davis. With what Ed got...heck, bump him his minutes and play Collins more if you want, but keep him around because he's a good player and as it stands, we only have 3 players at the 4/5 that Stotts wanted in the rotation last year.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#62 » by d-train » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:10 am

Sinobas wrote:
d-train wrote:
Sinobas wrote:
You don't think we would have retained Ed Davis for what he got if weren't for the luxury tax implications?

No, I think Davis was let go because Blazers want to develop Collins, Leonard, and Biggie. Had they kept Davis, we would have no minutes for him. We don't really have minutes for Leonard and Biggie. It would be a terrible situation for Davis. Blazers want their bigs to have high post shooting and passing skills. So, they can be a threat in pick and rolls, and be a playmaking outlet to relieve trapping pressure from Lillard. Collins, Leonard, and Biggie have these skills. Davis doesn't have these skills.

Oi...."develop" Leonard who will be turning 27 this season. The Blazers rarely ever played Leonard last year except under certain circumstances (injuries, foul trouble, 4th quarter of a blowout). Biggie will only play out of necessity this year as well. Collins was getting regular minutes last year, even with Ed Davis. With what Ed got...heck, bump him his minutes and play Collins more if you want, but keep him around because he's a good player and as it stands, we only have 3 players at the 4/5 that Stotts wanted in the rotation last year.

We have more than 3 players at the 4/5 positions. Leonard and Biggie could be 5-8th options. If you add Davis into the mix, it's not certain that Davis would be ahead of Leonard and Biggie in the rotation. What makes you believe Davis wants to be a 13-15th man with no regular minutes?
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,798

Post#63 » by The Sebastian Express » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:48 am

d-train wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:the disposition of the Blazers and an eventual sale might take lots of time:

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/paul-allens-death-leaves-many-questions-around-whats-likely-the-largest-estate-in-washington-history/

one problem is that the Blazers are not a liquid asset, so once that part of the estate is settled and the estate tax is 'due', there could be a 500-600M (or more if the Moda is sold at the same time) encumbrance. Whether that accelerates the sale timeline is the question

I'm also guessing the NBA will, at some point, start putting pressure on interim owner to resolve the ownership issue.

I doubt anything happens within the next few months though

If the Moda Center adds $500-600M value to the Blazers, I'll eat my shorts. The value of the Moda Center is likely its value without Blazers as a tenant and as a competitor to the building that does house the Blazers. The owner of the Blazers might want a new building and control over the Moda Center. Although, the tax question could change things as well. It might be bundling the Moda Center with the Blazers provides tax benefits that adds some value. I don't know what the tax implications would be.

He isn't saying the moda center adds 500-600 million. He's saying that there could be a 5-6 hundred million encumbrance from the due estate tax, and if the moda center is sold at the same time it'll add more to the total. Not that it'll add 500-600. It's why he put it in parentheses.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#64 » by Wizenheimer » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:50 am

d-train wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:the disposition of the Blazers and an eventual sale might take lots of time:

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/paul-allens-death-leaves-many-questions-around-whats-likely-the-largest-estate-in-washington-history/

one problem is that the Blazers are not a liquid asset, so once that part of the estate is settled and the estate tax is 'due', there could be a 500-600M (or more if the Moda is sold at the same time) encumbrance. Whether that accelerates the sale timeline is the question

I'm also guessing the NBA will, at some point, start putting pressure on interim owner to resolve the ownership issue.

I doubt anything happens within the next few months though

If the Moda Center adds $500-600M value to the Blazers, I'll eat my shorts. The value of the Moda Center is likely its value without Blazers as a tenant and as a competitor to the building that does house the Blazers. The owner of the Blazers might want a new building and control over the Moda Center. Although, the tax question could change things as well. It might be bundling the Moda Center with the Blazers provides tax benefits that adds some value. I don't know what the tax implications would be.

I never said what the value of the Moda was

most recently, Forbes assessed the value of the Blazers at 1.3B. Ballmer bought the Clippers for 2B shortly after it was estimated to be about 600M, IIRC

even if the Blazers are sold for 1.3B, the estate taxes could be in the 500-600 million range. And those taxes could be assessed before the team is sold. The Moda is also going to accrue a tax liability. I don't know what it's worth....300M? If it's around that the taxes could be 150M. Those are pretty big incentives for Jody Allen to sell
Wickzki
Starter
And1: 291

Post#65 » by Wickzki » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:25 am

Is the rumor that Phil Knight's son being interested in owning the Blazers true?
Vega
Pro Prospect
And1: 151

Post#66 » by Vega » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:13 pm

Wickzki wrote:Is the rumor that Phil Knight's son being interested in owning the Blazers true?

Do you mean Chilly Tee? I guess that would be interesting at least... if he and Dame ever had a contract dispute they could settle it with a rap battle.

Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,307

Post#67 » by Shem » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:46 am

wco81 wrote:If a new owner pays $2 billion, he'd probably look to increase revenues and sees a 23-year old arena.

He or she may try to extract concessions from the public governments to build a new arena, which would have higher ticket prices, luxury boxes for corporations, etc.

So as well as the community has supported the team, there is a risk that the new owner would move the team unless the city, county and state makes generous concessions for a new arena.

I've been meaning to get back to this. I think you need to see the list of oldest to youngest arenas in the NBA and note the years they were opened:

NBA arena ages:

1. Warriors 1966
2. Knicks 1968
3. T'Wolves 1990
4. Jazz 1991
5. Suns 1992
6. Bulls 1994
-- Cavs 1994
8. Blazers 1995
-- Celtics 1995
10. Sixers 1996
11. Wizards 1997
12. Clippers 1999
--Hawks 1999
--Heat 1999
--Lakers 1999
--Nuggets 1999
--Pacers 1999
--Pelicans 1999
--Raptors 1999
20. Mavericks 2001
21. Spurs 2002
--Thunder 2002
23. Rockets 2003
24. Grizzlies 2004
25. Hornets 2005
26. Magic 2010
27. Nets 2012
28. Kings 2016
29. Pistons 2017
30. Bucks 2018

16 of the 29 arenas were opened in the 90's. Seven of those were opened in 1999; four years after the Blazers open theirs. And when I'm in the Moda Center, I still feel that's a great current arena.
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,136

Post#68 » by wco81 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:35 am

They don't have to build a new arena but a new arena would help maximize revenues.

There will be higher ticket prices, luxury suites, PSLs. Not good for the fans but good for prospective owners looking to get a return on a $2 billion investment.

As it turns out, there's an ESPN story today about how several teams, especially the Warriors, plan to raise both BRI and non-BRI revenues with new arenas.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25218998/the-nba-real-estate-company-now
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran
And1: 4,158

Post#69 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:37 pm

i wonder how jody allen feels about portland trail blazers

Read on Twitter
d-train
RealGM

Post#70 » by d-train » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:00 am

Dzon Dilindzer wrote:i wonder how jody allen feels about portland trail blazers

Read on Twitter

She thinks keeping the Blazers afloat will cost more than getting her toenails done but there is plenty of money to do both.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,221

Post#71 » by monopoman » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:59 am

Vega wrote:
Wickzki wrote:Is the rumor that Phil Knight's son being interested in owning the Blazers true?

Do you mean Chilly Tee? I guess that would be interesting at least... if he and Dame ever had a contract dispute they could settle it with a rap battle.

Looks like Phil Knights son owns about 2.3 billion dollars in Nike stock so he could potentially make it happen especially if he got a partner that would cover say half the cost.
wco81
RealGM

Post#72 » by wco81 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:07 am

I guess an NFL team, especially one that is well-supported, will just mint money.

Trailblazers are well-supported too but probably isn't bringing in the same level of profits. On top of that, maybe someone told her that they're going to need a new stadium sooner or later, which is going to demand a lot of time, money and energy to navigate local politics to do such a project.

Plus I guess while close, Portland is out of town for her -- presuming she lives in Seattle.
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 11,882

Post#73 » by Effigy » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:52 pm

Dzon Dilindzer wrote:i wonder how jody allen feels about portland trail blazers

Has Jodie come to a single Blazers game this year?
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,221

Post#74 » by monopoman » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:07 am

From what the word is on Jody she really doesn't care about the team and will look to sell soon. I don't think she has any interest in keeping the Blazers.
wco81
RealGM

Post#75 » by wco81 » Fri Feb 8, 2019 12:53 am

Portland city officials believe the Trailblazers will be put up for sale.

The Trail Blazers’ lease with the city of Portland runs through 2025. It includes iron-clad language that would ensure the team stays through at least 2023. But it’s the uncertainty that Fish and some others would like to put to rest in front of a potential sale. And I don’t blame him.

Be clear, the NBA is working in Portland.

The Blazers will likely make the playoffs and have a functional home arena. Through 30 home dates, they’ve drawn more than 582,000 fans. The franchise is eighth in the league in home attendance (19,400). Also, Forbes released its valuations of the league’s franchises this week, putting the Blazers and their home arena at $1.6 billion.

Allen bought the team in 1988 for $70 million.

Commissioner Adam Silver would have a difficult time pitching a potential move of the Portland NBA franchise to the public and other league owners as an urgent matter. But Fish and some other city leaders know how quickly things can change. They also know Seattle would love to have an NBA team.

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/2019/02/canzano-trail-blazers-likely-to-be-sold-creating-some-angst-at-city-hall.html

There would be hell to pay if the team is moved to Seattle of all places.

But there are certainly deep-pocket potential owners up there and you would think a new owner would want a new arena, which would house not just the Trailblazers but as many non-NBA events as possible.

That is where the money is for a lot of newer owners who are going to pay a couple of billion for an NBA team in a top market. Despite smaller market size than many other NBA cities, it sounds like Blazers are in the top 10 in attendance.

City needs to be supportive of a new arena though if a new owner tries to extort the city and state for public money, like Milwaukee did for its new arena, then there will be pushback, one would think.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,935

Post#76 » by DusterBuster » Fri Feb 8, 2019 1:30 am

wco81 wrote:Portland city officials believe the Trailblazers will be put up for sale.

The Trail Blazers’ lease with the city of Portland runs through 2025. It includes iron-clad language that would ensure the team stays through at least 2023. But it’s the uncertainty that Fish and some others would like to put to rest in front of a potential sale. And I don’t blame him.

Be clear, the NBA is working in Portland.

The Blazers will likely make the playoffs and have a functional home arena. Through 30 home dates, they’ve drawn more than 582,000 fans. The franchise is eighth in the league in home attendance (19,400). Also, Forbes released its valuations of the league’s franchises this week, putting the Blazers and their home arena at $1.6 billion.

Allen bought the team in 1988 for $70 million.

Commissioner Adam Silver would have a difficult time pitching a potential move of the Portland NBA franchise to the public and other league owners as an urgent matter. But Fish and some other city leaders know how quickly things can change. They also know Seattle would love to have an NBA team.

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/2019/02/canzano-trail-blazers-likely-to-be-sold-creating-some-angst-at-city-hall.html

There would be hell to pay if the team is moved to Seattle of all places.

But there are certainly deep-pocket potential owners up there and you would think a new owner would want a new arena, which would house not just the Trailblazers but as many non-NBA events as possible.

That is where the money is for a lot of newer owners who are going to pay a couple of billion for an NBA team in a top market. Despite smaller market size than many other NBA cities, it sounds like Blazers are in the top 10 in attendance.

City needs to be supportive of a new arena though if a new owner tries to extort the city and state for public money, like Milwaukee did for its new arena, then there will be pushback, one would think.

It's a Canzano article.... He literally writes nothing but sensational "sky is falling" articles about the Blazers to generate clicks. This article is based off of some random city official with no real inside knowledge but is just worried about what "could" happen.

This article isn't worth the pixels it's taking up.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
wco81
RealGM

Post#77 » by wco81 » Fri Feb 8, 2019 1:55 am

Hmm, I wasn't familiar with the reporter.

I'd also heard that Lillard can sign a big extension this summer, though he isn't a free agent until summer of 2021.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ripcity/comments/957a4s/does_lillard_sign_the_supermax_extension_in_the/

That's a big decision for the franchise, whether or not the team's sold.

Or is there no doubt the Blazers will give him the super max if he's eligible, regardless of whether the team does better in the playoffs this year or next?
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,080

Post#78 » by DaVoiceMaster » Fri Feb 8, 2019 7:59 am

The Blazers are going nowhere. Anybody would be stupid to try and move this team.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
d-train
RealGM

Post#79 » by d-train » Fri Feb 8, 2019 6:47 pm

I don't know what the NBA's guidelines are for supporting cities that have NBA franchises and cities that want franchises. I believe the guidelines are the same. I also believe the NBA was upfront and unambiguous with Sacramento, Seattle, and OKC with their requirements. So, there are no open questions about the Blazers that are dependant upon ownership unless the city has a problem meeting the NBA's requirements for support.
d-train
RealGM

Post#80 » by d-train » Fri Feb 8, 2019 6:51 pm

The last thing I would worry about as a Blazers fan, is that the Blazers might be moved to Seattle. Seattle couldn't keep the team they had. I worry more that Portland might not be any better than Seattle, which could put our franchise in jeopardy.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers