The Tyreke Evans Problem

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Major Cold
Freshman
And1: 28

Re: The Tyreke Evans Problem 

Post#21 » by Major Cold » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:40 pm

boomershadow wrote:I'm not really sure how getting a knee injection reminds a basketball player how to pass the ball, but I'm certainly not complaining about the results.

If he was young with no experience I could see being injured affecting other parts of his game. But Reke is a vet. The blatant throw always pissed me off. But it didn’t piss off the right person , Nate McMillian.

Let’s just say that if he plays the rest of the season like he did in Atlanta then this is the biggest turn around I’ve seen in a season from a Pacer. But that is a BIG IF.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#22 » by Tom White » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:11 pm

If he was playing with any amount of pain or discomfort, then sure, it was going to impact his entire game. If he was having pain in a knee, then he might not plant that leg solidly when passing, driving to the hoop, defending, and all sorts of things. It happens.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,073

Post#23 » by Wizop » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:23 pm

Tom White wrote:If he was playing with any amount of pain or discomfort, then sure, it was going to impact his entire game. If he was having pain in a knee, then he might not plant that leg solidly when passing, driving to the hoop, defending, and all sorts of things. It happens.

Quinn mentioned that Tyreke lacked lift. if his jumps weren't getting him as high as he was used to, that would sure throw all his practice out the window.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#24 » by pcbothwel » Wed Jan 2, 2019 5:11 pm

Wiz fan here. In looking for an Ariza trade to get us under the tax I came across you'll. You seem to be deep at Guard and Bigs, but lack some athletic wing defenders.
I think an Ariza for Evans trade has legs.
We ship Evans to a 3rd team, but we save 3M immediately which helps facilitate a trade

Ariza immediately becomes your super sub wing behind Bogey and Young... while opening up more minutes for Holiday now with Dipo back.
Thoughts?
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#25 » by pacers33granger » Wed Jan 2, 2019 7:17 pm

pcbothwel wrote:Wiz fan here. In looking for an Ariza trade to get us under the tax I came across you'll. You seem to be deep at Guard and Bigs, but lack some athletic wing defenders.
I think an Ariza for Evans trade has legs.
We ship Evans to a 3rd team, but we save 3M immediately which helps facilitate a trade

Ariza immediately becomes your super sub wing behind Bogey and Young... while opening up more minutes for Holiday now with Dipo back.
Thoughts?

The value is certainly there for us but we probably need what Evans could (theoretically) bring more given we have issues scoring/creating at times.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#26 » by Wizop » Tue Jan 8, 2019 8:54 pm

Ruaidri wrote:So what reasonable trade can we make to get closer to Toronto?

I moved the quote from the Holiday thread. I chose to put it here because I think the answer is to see what Evan's expiring contract will bring from teams like the Knicks who are going nowhere with a big payroll. for example, we could ask about Lee and Vonleh or even Hardaway. Chicago is also shedding players. there must be others.

another option would be a 10 day contract with someone who got cut this week to keep a contract from becoming guaranteed.

however, Sumner and Alize are now with the team in Cleveland and several players may be sitting out. the best case scenario would be for one or both of them to be ready to join the rotation so we don't need to make a move.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#27 » by pacers33granger » Tue Jan 8, 2019 11:47 pm

Wizop wrote:

I moved the quote from the Holiday thread. I chose to put it here because I think the answer is to see what Evan's expiring contract will bring from teams like the Knicks who are going nowhere with a big payroll. for example, we could ask about Lee and Vonleh or even Hardaway. Chicago is also shedding players. there must be others.

I'd want some serious incentive to give up an expiring for Lee or Hardaway. Unless the plan is to bring back all of our free agents and forego any cap space, we can do so much better, Lee especially.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,064

Post#28 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jan 9, 2019 2:46 am

pacers33granger wrote:
Wizop wrote:

I'd want some serious incentive to give up an expiring for Lee or Hardaway. Unless the plan is to bring back all of our free agents and forego any cap space, we can do so much better, Lee especially.

And that's where it's real hard to make something work. New York's "incentive" is either too valuable, or not valuable enough in any combination. They don't own their own 2nd rounders for the next couple years, and the one's they're getting are probably late (worst of Houston, Cleveland, Orlando this year), or further off in the future (two 2nd rounders from Charlotte in the future). Kevin Knox, Porzingis, and a first round pick are all too valuable to dump Lee with. Trier is literally untradeable due to signing the BAE midseason to convert his two way. Vonleh expires and comes with no bird rights. Mitchell Robinson is probably too valuable in the Knicks eyes, and he plays pure center, so a devalued position in return for us with Myles/Dom there. Frank Ntilikina would maybe be available, but he doesn't look NBA worthy, nor does Hezonja. It's hard making something work there.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#29 » by basketballwacko2 » Wed Jan 9, 2019 5:18 am

Wizop wrote:

another option would be a 10 day contract with someone who got cut this week to keep a contract from becoming guaranteed.

however, Sumner and Alize are now with the team in Cleveland and several players may be sitting out. the best case scenario would be for one or both of them to be ready to join the rotation so we don't need to make a move.

Micheal Carter-Williams? That dude is the biggest disappointment what the heck happened to him.

I don't know what is up with Courtney Lee he hasn't played in a while but I haven't seen anything about him being hurt. Is he still a good defender? Can he still shoot it?

Hardaway is a younger guy who puts up some points with a poor efficiency rating, and he's got 2 yrs after this on at $18.1 and $18.9 million.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#30 » by basketballwacko2 » Wed Jan 9, 2019 5:28 am

I've been hearing that Marc Gasol might be on the market. Not like you can drive down the street and see the for sale sign like the house on the corner.

What about Evans, Thad and O'Quinn for Gasol, and Garret Temple?

Pacers start Gasol at center, moved Turner back to the power forward and splits time backing up Gasol with Domas off the bench at center. We roll with a 3 man rotation at the 4/5 and challenge anyone with tough defense.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jan 9, 2019 2:13 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Wizop wrote:

Micheal Carter-Williams? That dude is the biggest disappointment what the heck happened to him.

I don't know what is up with Courtney Lee he hasn't played in a while but I haven't seen anything about him being hurt. Is he still a good defender? Can he still shoot it?

Hardaway is a younger guy who puts up some points with a poor efficiency rating, and he's got 2 yrs after this on at $18.1 and $18.9 million.

The Knicks are rebuilding for the future, which Lee doesn’t fit. He’s basically been the useful vet who’s too useful to help them develop and lose games for a draft pick so he’s relegated to the bench. So guys like Trier, Dotson, Knox, and even Mudiay and Ntilikina are getting run over him. They also have really tried to see if Hezonja is an nba player, so there just hasn’t been a chance for Lee to play.

Hardaway also has a 15% trade kicker too.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#32 » by Wizop » Wed Jan 9, 2019 2:47 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:And that's where it's real hard to make something work. New York's "incentive" is either too valuable, or not valuable enough in any combination. They don't own their own 2nd rounders for the next couple years.

oops. before writing that post, I checked a draft site to see what picks the Knicks had and they showed a 2nd rounder and if there was a footnote saying they owed it in a trade, I missed it. without that, I agree the Knicks are not a great trading partner.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#33 » by basketballwacko2 » Wed Jan 9, 2019 5:20 pm

I wouldn't take Hardaway for that kind of money and the trade kicker just makes it worse.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#34 » by pacers33granger » Wed Jan 9, 2019 5:22 pm

If I had to choose I would choose THJ over Lee 10/10 times. He makes more, but Lee is done as a starter and may not be more than an 8th man at this point.

But both require incentive that, as Scoot pointed out, NY simply can't give. Ntilikina is the only potentially reasonable piece, but we have little use for him honestly.
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#35 » by 8305 » Wed Jan 9, 2019 10:39 pm

Pacers trade
Tyreke Evans, Darren Collison, 2019 first
Memphis trades
Mike Conley

Clear upgrade to the weakest position in our starting lineup. The second ball handler we've talked about. Takes away most of the cap space for next summer but, I'm not sure what we could attract in that market would be better than Conley.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:49 am

8305 wrote:Pacers trade
Memphis trades
Mike Conley

Clear upgrade to the weakest position in our starting lineup. The second ball handler we've talked about. Takes away most of the cap space for next summer but, I'm not sure what we could attract in that market would be better than Conley.

I mean, we’re not including a 1st for Conleys contract.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#37 » by Wizop » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:40 am

Quinn clearly feels Reke is just getting healthy.

Sent from my phone.
Assistant Coach

Post#38 » by 8305 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:45 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Memphis trades
Mike Conley

If Conley can be acquired with expiring contracts only great. But, if the objective is to better compete with Toronto (or Boston, Philly or the Bucks) I don't think you worry about a pick that will be 25 or later.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#39 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:11 pm

8305 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Memphis trades
Mike Conley

If Conley can be acquired with expiring contracts only great. But, if the objective is to better compete with Toronto (or Boston, Philly or the Bucks) I don't think you worry about a pick that will be 25 or later.

I think it does matter a little in that you'll need that 1st to dump McDermott's contract to avoid the tax going forward, or to acquire the rest of your roster, as you're effectively capped out by adding Conley's $32+m a year contract. I mean, in two years, you're capped out with just Conley, Oladipo, Turner, and trying to re-sign Dom. Avoiding the tax then will be quite difficult.
Assistant Coach

Post#40 » by 8305 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:38 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
8305 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

I think it does matter a little in that you'll need that 1st to dump McDermott's contract to avoid the tax going forward, or to acquire the rest of your roster, as you're effectively capped out by adding Conley's $32+m a year contract. I mean, in two years, you're capped out with just Conley, Oladipo, Turner, and trying to re-sign Dom. Avoiding the tax then will be quite difficult.

yeah, you might have a year where you are paying the tax. To be expected when fielding a team competing for a championship.

Return to Indiana Pacers