ImageImageImage

Who should Falcons hire as new Offensive Coordinator?

Moderator: HMFFL

Who should Falcons look to run Offense moving forward?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:31 pm

Adam Gase
No votes
Darrell Bevell
No votes
Gary Kubiak
50%
Jim Caldwell
50%
Dirk Koetter
No votes

Total votes: 2

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Who should Falcons hire as new Offensive Coordinator? 

Post#1 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:38 pm

Sarkisian is a goner. That much seems inevitable.

Any thoughts on who should replace him?

I vote for former Falcons OC Dirk Koetter who was just let go as HC of the Buccaneers. He's a proven play caller and has a good working relationship with Matt Ryan.
Spoiler:
Koetter was hired as Tampa Bay’s offensive coordinator in 2015, just months before the team drafted Winston no. 1 overall. Koetter was promoted to head coach the following season...

Buccaneers OC seems a guy worth considering also.
Spoiler:
Under offensive coordinator Todd Monken, Tampa Bay’s offense was one of the best in franchise history, entering Week 17 ranked 13th in the league in points scored (tied for the second-best mark in franchise history) and third in the league in total yards (the best finish in franchise history).

Monken’s contract is up at the end of the season, and it’s unclear if he’ll be retained.

Ian Rapoport wrote:...offensive coordinator Todd Monken will be a sought-after OC candidate, as well as in consideration for head coach jobs.
NFL.com

Update: It's official.

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Re: Who should Falcons hire as new Offensive Coordinator? 

Post#2 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:57 pm

This would be an interesting option.

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#3 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:03 pm

Adam Gase also is worthy of a look. He'd make a really good option, but if I was D Quinn, I'd be worried if I was hiring my own replacement at HC.

Adam Gase Was Sean McVay Before Sean McVay. Now He’s Out of a Job.

Once considered an offensive wunderkind, Gase was fired on Monday after Miami fell short of the playoffs for the second straight season. Where does the team go from here?

A half-dozen teams will be looking for new head coaches this offseason, and all of them want to find the next Sean McVay. But before most people had heard of McVay, everyone wanted Adam Gase.

When Nick Saban left Michigan State for LSU in 2000, Gase was the only assistant he brought with him.

Gase was the offensive coordinator for the Peyton Manning–led Denver Broncos offense that broke the NFL record for points, touchdowns, 50-plus-point games, and second-half points while Manning broke the single-season records for passing touchdowns and passing yards. Not bad for Gase’s first year as an offensive coordinator at any level.

Then–head coach John Fox called Gase a “master of innovation.” General manager John Elway called him a genius. Manning called him “the smartest guy I know.”

Gase finishes with a record of 23-25 as Miami head coach. The Dolphins never had an above-average offense with Gase—the team failed to surpass 24th in yards or to reach the top half of the league in points scored—and made the playoffs just once in his three years.
The Ringer
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#4 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:09 pm

This is encouraging:

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#5 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:26 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Ummm....
Spoiler:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#6 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:41 pm

Read on Twitter
macd-gm
Starter
And1: 2,515

Post#7 » by macd-gm » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:11 pm

Bevell? WTF? Isn't he responsible for what is considered the worst play call in NFL history? At least until Shanahan guided us to a super bowl collapse.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,008

Post#8 » by HMFFL » Tue Jan 1, 2019 12:22 am

Wonderful day for Atlanta Falcons football. We now build the coaching staff and hope we make the right decisions.

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app
pssshhhrrr87
Sophomore
And1: 58

Post#9 » by pssshhhrrr87 » Wed Jan 2, 2019 3:43 pm

I'm hoping for an experienced OC such as McCarthy or Gase. I would be happy with Kubiak as well. I suspect McCarthy will get the Browns or Jets job though, especially with both having young, talented QB's that McCarthy could mold.

Koetter and Bevell would be huge nos. I can't accept Quinn bring in another Seattle connection and we fired Koetter once already.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#10 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jan 2, 2019 4:29 pm

I love it!!!

Read on Twitter

Report: Ex-Buccaneers HC Dirk Koetter to Interview for Falcons OC Job

Former Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Dirk Koetter is reportedly scheduled to interview with the Atlanta Falcons on Saturday about their vacancy at offensive coordinator. He previously held that role in Atlanta from 2012 through 2014.

Vaughn McClure of ESPN.com reported the update Wednesday and noted Darrell Bevell, who served in the same capacity with the Minnesota Vikings (2006-10) and Seattle Seahawks (2011-17), is also set to meet with the Falcons this week.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#11 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jan 3, 2019 3:04 pm

Vaughn McClure wrote:Will be hard for the Falcons not to go with Dirk Koetter as the OC, knowing Matt Ryan's fondness for Koetter. This hire has to be about what's best for Ryan, and Darrell Bevell might not be that guy after working in Seattle with Russell Wilson. Can't be any guessing games between Ryan and the OC; has to be someone he's confident and comfortable with. Koetter definitely is that guy. Said Ryan a few years ago after Koetter's first stint with the Falcons: "You know, Dirk taught me a lot about being confident in what we do. I think he believed in -- and rightfully so because, at the time, we had a lot of really good players -- he believed if I was comfortable with it, go. It made me take ownership of what I liked; what I didn't like. He pushed me to be better in that department.''
ESPN

Vaughn McClure wrote:Dirk Koetter scheduled to interview for the Falcons' offensive coordinator position on Saturday, according to a source. Koetter, just let go as the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' head coach, was the Falcons' offensive coordinator from 2012-2014. Koetter's last Falcons' offense in 2014 averaged 378.2 yards per game (8th), 284.6 passing yards per game (5th), and 23.8 points per game (12th). His Buccaneers' offense this past season averaged 415.5 yards per game (3rd), 320.3 passing yards per game (1st), and 24.8 points per game (12th). Matt Ryan praised Koetter before for making him a more confident quarterback. Falcons looking for a new coordinator after firing Steve Sarkisian. Former Seahawks OC Darrell Bevell also scheduled to interview this week.
ESPN
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#12 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jan 3, 2019 4:20 pm

Quinn right to make changes and run Falcons’ defense, now needs to get Kubiak

Dan​ Quinn led​ the​ Falcons​ to a Super​ Bowl in​ his second​ season. Two​ years​ later,​ he’s smart enough to​ understand​ the​​ realities of the coaching profession — that at this time next season he could be out of a job if things go horribly wrong again. But this has the potential to work out well for the Falcons if the correct hires are made moving forward.

Quinn has strengths as a head coach but also weaknesses. Here’s one: He struggles at times with game management/clock management decisions. Because he is now taking on the duties of defensive coordinator, expect the Falcons to hire an assistant coach to help him in those areas.

The offense wasn’t nearly as bad as has been painted, but Sarkisian has been a human pin cushion since being hired. Despite poor pass protection and running issues stemming from line problems, the Falcons ranked sixth in total offense, 10th in scoring, 10th in touchdowns and 11th in red-zone touchdown percentage.

But even with injuries and blocking problems, there were too many times when a high-powered, well-compensated offense led by Matt Ryan and Julio Jones failed — against Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Dallas, New Orleans, Baltimore and Green Bay. In each of those seven games, the Falcons scored 20 points or less and lost.

Gary Kubiak, who has won four Super Bowls as a coach, including one as the head coach of Denver, has said he wants back in the game as a coordinator after taking a year off for health issues.

Kubiak would be a home run hire, both because of his proven success and his familiarity with the Falcons’ scheme. He reportedly is intrigued by the chance to work with the Falcons’ talent, which dwarfs that on the Denver roster. His choice of quarterbacks: Ryan in Atlanta or Case Keenum in Denver?

The only thing that could keep him in Denver would be his long-standing relationship with general manager John Elway. Because if it’s a football decision, it’s not even close.

The next best choice would be former Denver and Chicago offensive coordinator Adam Gase, who was fired as Miami’s head coach. But Gase may get other head coaching offers, as could Pittsburgh offensive coordinator Mike Munchak (another potential candidate for the Falcons). There also has been much discussion about former Seattle offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell, a friend of Quinn’s who was fired after the 2017 season.
The Athletic
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#13 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jan 4, 2019 2:02 pm

Jeff Schultz wrote:There are a number of major personnel decisions the team must make, but the single most important decision will be the naming of a new offensive coordinator.

The potential candidacy of Gary Kubiak rises above all others. The former Denver and Houston head coach has expressed an interest in getting back into coaching, possibly as an offensive coordinator, after two years off for health reasons.

Quinn acknowledged Thursday that there is at least one candidate, possibly more, he’s waiting to speak with after the playoffs. Keep an eye on Jedd Fisch, a friend of Quinn’s and a former offensive coordinator in Minnesota and Jacksonville who’s currently with the Los Angeles Rams as a “senior offensive assistant.”

If you’re into connecting dots, here are a few other things to consider: Kubiak is the best fit for the Falcons’ scheme, which isn’t going to change. He is close with Falcons quarterback coach Greg Knapp; the two worked together in Denver and Houston.

One more thing, for conspiracy theorists: Quinn has fired four coaches to date: three coordinators (Sarkisian, Manuel, special teams coordinator Keith Armstrong) and one position coach. That assistant: tight ends coach Wade Harman. Why the rush to fire the tight ends coach now? One possibility: Brian Pariani, a tight ends coach, has been with Kubiak at every stop in his career, other than one season at Syracuse. Pariani was fired by the Broncos after Kubiak stepped down after the 2016 season and now works as a consultant.

If Quinn can’t get Kubiak or former Miami head coach Adam Gase (who is interviewing for head coaching jobs), expect the coordinator to come from a group that includes former Seattle offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell, former Falcons offensive coordinator and Tampa Bay head coach Dirk Koetter, possibly Fisch and others. NFL Radio reported the team interviewed former offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey.
The Athletic
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#14 » by HMFFL » Fri Jan 4, 2019 9:15 pm

I'm very concerned about Quinn being the HC and DC. A lot of pressure on him but he wants it.
I'd love to see Quinn with us longterm as long as he's successful but we'll see how he does with this role next season.

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#15 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Jan 6, 2019 7:30 pm

Read on Twitter

Sent from my RC555L using RealGM mobile app
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#16 » by HMFFL » Mon Jan 7, 2019 5:11 am

I won't get my hopes up.
I hope we sign a guy this week. We have so many offensive weapons but we need the right guy to guide them.
Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

Sent from my RC555L using RealGM mobile app

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#17 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jan 7, 2019 12:53 pm

HMFFL wrote:I won't get my hopes up. I hope we sign a guy this week. We have so many offensive weapons but we need the right guy to guide them.

Agreed. And I hope this last hire is the final OC of the Matt Ryan era. A guy who'll be here for the next half decade and help Maty Ice ride out into the sunset.

A la Elway.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#18 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jan 8, 2019 2:27 am

Dirk Koetter has been offered the position of Falcons offensive coordinator, according to one person familiar with the situation. A high-ranking team official when asked to confirm would say only there is no agreement at this time.

Koetter previously served as offensive coordinator with the Falcons from 2012-14 and work with quarterback Matt Ryan.

“We're not having wholesale changes on how we play in terms of a system,” Falcons coach Dan Quinn said last week. “Not only is it important for the players and the staff, but also for Thomas (Dimitroff) and his staff as well in terms of the players that we're scouting for, to fit the system. I think adaptability is probably the top factor going in.”

In 2012 under Koetter, Ryan led the league in completion percentage at 68.9 percent. He threw for 32, 26 and 28 touchdowns with Koetter and went to two of his four Pro Bowls.
AJC
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#19 » by HMFFL » Tue Jan 8, 2019 2:57 am

I hope he accept.
It will be one hole filled and we can proceed forward.

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#20 » by HMFFL » Wed Jan 9, 2019 12:25 am

Another new addition is a former face.

Falcons hired ex-Titans coach Mike Mularkey as TEs coach.
It's quite a fall for a coach who was most recently the two-year head man of the Titans. Mularkey will be the next man up if/when new Falcons OC Dirk Koetter gets fired.

Return to Atlanta Falcons