De'Andre Hunter

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

De'Andre Hunter 

Post#1 » by King Ken » Mon Jan 7, 2019 3:39 pm

This is probably the draftniks on the board favorite prospect. This advanced BBIQ physical marvel will have a positive impact on any team he is on.

He has plus wingspan and size at 6'7 228 and a 7'2 wingspan with big paws. He has plus lateral quickness and thinks the game quicker than most with excellent positioning on offense and defense. He is somewhat like an Al Horford of wings. A playmaker from the wing, his 2.2 ast to .9 tov is amazing considering the system they have at UVA. Off the ball marvel on offense and defense, he fits the modern NBA to a tee. Has a 52/42/83 split which is highly efficient. While I am not a huge fan of the BPM, he has a BPM of 11.9 which is elite and an offensive rating of 133.6 while having a DefRtg of 85.2. Due to playing in a system that wants you to keep the man in front of you, doesn't have the most impressive steals and blocks numbers but watching the film, it's clear to say a coach can coach him into this aspect of the game as the ability and instincts is there.

I have him a top 5-10 grade in this draft. Here is some analysis from one of our draftniks, Knickstape1214 on vid: Please be sure to And 1 him for his contributions.

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,197

Re: De'Andre Hunter 

Post#2 » by clyde21 » Mon Jan 7, 2019 8:08 pm

the guy is built to play in the NBA. big fan of Hunter.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#3 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Mon Jan 7, 2019 8:19 pm

I approve of this post.

Honestly, I love his game. Easy plug and play guy who is a big team defense guy, with good iso defense ability as well. I think he's a 3 defender who can defend 2s as well and, when in a stance, is quick enough (and uses length well enough) to defend some 1s. The issue with him on defense right now is strength and physicality in the post, but the guy's frame is awesome. Once he gets that, he'll be at least a 1-4 switch defender who could get minutes as a small ball 5.

Offensively, he's a small role guy. He'll do his part without making mistakes - hit threes, finish in paint, and a little bit of D&K. Took a nice leap over the summer in terms of skill set, which is awesome, but I don't think he'll ever be a 20 PPG guy - a mid teens one probably at his peak, but his team-first and two-way impact will overcome any issue that may come from his low scoring totals.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#4 » by clyde21 » Mon Jan 7, 2019 8:21 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:I approve of this post.

Honestly, I love his game. Easy plug and play guy who is a big team defense guy, with good iso defense ability as well. I think he's a 3 defender who can defend 2s as well and, when in a stance, is quick enough (and uses length well enough) to defend some 1s. The issue with him on defense right now is strength and physicality in the post, but the guy's frame is awesome. Once he gets that, he'll be at least a 1-4 switch defender who could get minutes as a small ball 5.

Offensively, he's a small role guy. He'll do his part without making mistakes - hit threes, finish in paint, and a little bit of D&K. Took a nice leap over the summer in terms of skill set, which is awesome, but I don't think he'll ever be a 20 PPG guy - a mid teens one probably at his peak, but his team-first and two-way impact will overcome any issue that may come from his low scoring totals.

i think he can slide to the 4 as well and play there easily on both sides
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#5 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Mon Jan 7, 2019 8:24 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:I approve of this post.

i think he can slide to the 4 as well and play there easily on both sides

Yah, so I think today's NBA with fewer postup guys helps him slide into the 4 for sure. Against guys with some post skill, even if it is just brute force, I wouldn't trust him there yet. He's strong, but right now it's more of the Ayton-not-so-functional strength. I do think he'll learn to use it though as he continues to get even stronger - has a great frame and already has good leg strength (at least from pictures). Can't wait until he gets on an NBA weight-training program.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Post#6 » by doordoor123 » Fri Feb 8, 2019 5:09 pm

Probably a top 10 pick and it’s warranted. He’ll be one of the better players of this draft.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,610

Post#7 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Feb 8, 2019 8:09 pm

I wont lie the only thing that makes me hesitant to have him competing for the #2 spot is his age. Love his physical profile, love his athleticism, love his defense, love his IQ on both ends, really like the form on his jumper. I like the growth in his game off the dribble, I didnt catch the first few Virginia games this year, then I finally watched him and was shocked at the step he took with his creativity off the dribble. I dont think it transfers to the NBA, I dont think he is ever going to be a guy you just give the ball to and can count on him to get a bucket. But I really like the growth he has shown in that area.

Most drafts I would never take a guy like this as high as #2, I still just havent fallen in love with anyone at #2. I think Hunter is my Culver for Knickstape haha. I just trust his jumper more than Culver's, though Culver definitely has the edge in creativity off the dribble.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#8 » by King Ken » Sat Feb 9, 2019 3:26 am

Duke4life831 wrote:I wont lie the only thing that makes me hesitant to have him competing for the #2 spot is his age. Love his physical profile, love his athleticism, love his defense, love his IQ on both ends, really like the form on his jumper. I like the growth in his game off the dribble, I didnt catch the first few Virginia games this year, then I finally watched him and was shocked at the step he took with his creativity off the dribble. I dont think it transfers to the NBA, I dont think he is ever going to be a guy you just give the ball to and can count on him to get a bucket. But I really like the growth he has shown in that area.

Most drafts I would never take a guy like this as high as #2, I still just havent fallen in love with anyone at #2. I think Hunter is my Culver for Knickstape haha. I just trust his jumper more than Culver's, though Culver definitely has the edge in creativity off the dribble.

Hard to see him go before the 8th pick just due to his lower ceiling. After Reddish, he is my favorite pick for the Hawks. My coup for this off-season is signing Al Horford and drafting Hunter. That would give us two guys who can cover for Trae's and Collins defensive issues, especially Collins and give us a lot of potential with tremendous fits. I think his ceiling is higher than people think in the right system. A lot of scouts are all over the place on him. I've talked to some who have him at #2 or #3 and I've talked to some who flat out said, he's a late 1st rounder. His ceiling just doesn't give him the upsides. You know me though, I am always high on UVA guys long term. Those guys seem to be fail proof role players if they have NBA talent and tool.

The thing is, no one wants to be that guy who passed up on the next Donovan Mitchell for a role player like Hunter. He is high on my best available. I just love his floor. I question his ceiling as well but that's why fit matters when ranking guys like him.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#9 » by Prokorov » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:45 pm

I love hunte... my hopes is the nets package 17, 27, and 31 one and move up to the 13 or so range and take this guy.

would love to see kenny atkinson develop him
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,885

Post#10 » by MotownMadness » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:34 pm

Prokorov wrote:I love hunte... my hopes is the nets package 17, 27, and 31 one and move up to the 13 or so range and take this guy.

would love to see kenny atkinson develop him

I don’t think he last that far. Everyone pretty much wants that type of wing/forward and I think he’s higher on the minds of GMs draft board then the consensus shows.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#11 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:43 am

Read on Twitter

Still one of my favorite players in this draft.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#12 » by VCfor3 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:10 pm

I think I'm hoping Memphis lands either Hunter of Culver if they aren't able to convey their pick. Hunter just seems like he is going to be a quality two-way starter. Never a star but a guy you want on your team.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#13 » by Stillwater » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:56 pm

Easily the safest pick in the draft outside of Zion. As soon as teams start hem-hawing about high upside vs high floor prospects which Hunter is clearly the highest floor of anyone, his name will be called. I think his draft range is very small between 4-7 unless the worst teams get pushed down to those spots and want higher upside prospects for longer rebuilds.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Saints14
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,464

Post#14 » by Saints14 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:27 pm

Asking out of ignorance, what makes him better as a prospect than Mikal Bridges? Or is it quality of the 2019 class that might make him a higher pick?
clyde21
RealGM

Post#15 » by clyde21 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:30 pm

Saints14 wrote:Asking out of ignorance, what makes him better as a prospect than Mikal Bridges? Or is it quality of the 2019 class that might make him a higher pick?

he's about the same tier as Mikal Bridges for me so I wouldn't say he's a better prospect.

both project as starting level 3+D guys with possibility for more. biggest difference is Hunter can probably also play the 4 in the NBA.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by doordoor123 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:35 pm

Saints14 wrote:Asking out of ignorance, what makes him better as a prospect than Mikal Bridges? Or is it quality of the 2019 class that might make him a higher pick?

First of all, Mikal Bridges is going to be a great player/all-star type so it isn’t bad to compare the two. Second, Hunter is a different kind of player. Bridges is a shooter/slasher while Hunter is a scorer with a bigger body. Bridges is more of a 2/3/4 (interchangeable position-wise) while Hunter is more of a 3/4/5, but more likely a 4/small-ball 5. Hunter can finish better with contact, can draw more fouls, is a better rebounder and he has much better footwork. With that said, Bridges is a much better shooter/on-ball defender and he’s generally a smarter player. It’s hard for me to give a good comp to Hunter, maybe the best comparison is something like a less athletic Aaron Gordon/what Aaron Gordon should be.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#17 » by King Ken » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:40 pm

I liked Bridges more as a prospect but I like Hunter a lot and I can entertain this
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by doordoor123 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:41 pm

One of my issues with Hunter is that his jumper takes time to get off. Think he’s a knockdown standstill jumper in the NBA with the space. Problem is he doesn’t take NBA threes right now and will need to adjust. Think he can be a good post player but I also think he lacks awareness when he has the ball. While I think he can score in the post and around the basket, I’m not confident he can pass out of the post.

With that said, I think he should be a lock for the top 5.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#19 » by King Ken » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:43 pm

doordoor123 wrote:One of my issues with Hunter is that his jumper takes time to get off. Think he’s a knockdown standstill jumper in the NBA with the space. Problem is he doesn’t take NBA threes right now and will need to adjust. Think he can be a good post player but I also think he lacks awareness when he has the ball. While I think he can score in the post and around the basket, I’m not confident he can pass out of the post.

I really believe he is a lot like Otto Porter Jr. Then again, I love Otto Porter Jr.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by doordoor123 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:44 pm

King Ken wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:One of my issues with Hunter is that his jumper takes time to get off. Think he’s a knockdown standstill jumper in the NBA with the space. Problem is he doesn’t take NBA threes right now and will need to adjust. Think he can be a good post player but I also think he lacks awareness when he has the ball. While I think he can score in the post and around the basket, I’m not confident he can pass out of the post.

I really believe he is a lot like Otto Porter Jr. Then again, I love Otto Porter Jr.

That is actually a pretty good comp. Porter was able to do more stuff off the dribble in college than he’s doing now. I still think Hunter is a better prospect than Porter was. Maybe a mix of Aaron Gordon and Otto Porter.

Return to NBA Draft