Jimmy Butler?

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Jimmy Butler?  

Post#1 » by HMFFL » Tue Jan 8, 2019 12:46 am

Any interest for us to pursue Jimmy Butler? The recent news is that the drama has continued in Philly. The media is reporting that many GM's are pursuing Butler. He is a free agent at the end of the season.

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,917

Re: Jimmy Butler? 

Post#2 » by jayu70 » Tue Jan 8, 2019 12:58 am

:nonono: :nonono: :nonono:
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,629

Post#3 » by kg01 » Tue Jan 8, 2019 1:36 am

HMFFL wrote:Any interest for us to pursue Jimmy Butler? The recent news is that the drama has continued in Philly. The media is reporting that many GM's are pursuing Butler. He is a free agent at the end of the season.

Not no, heyul nawl.
king01 :king:
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#4 » by atlantabbq99 » Tue Jan 8, 2019 2:02 am

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,470

Post#5 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jan 8, 2019 2:03 am

If we're serious about making a run at the post season next year, yes. I'd be in favor of it.

Our young'ns might get their feelings hurt a bit. But they'd see up close the type of preparation and intensity it takes to compete in this league.

He isn't a perfect mentor, with his tendency to upstage coaches/GMs. But his practices are legend for a reason.

And a lineup of

Len
Collins
J Butler
Huerter
Trae

is kind of a perfect fit on the court.

I'd give him the max on a 2 year contract with a player option in year 2.
kg01
General Manager

Post#6 » by kg01 » Tue Jan 8, 2019 2:18 am

Jamaaliver wrote:If we're serious about making a run at the post season next year, yes. I'd be in favor of it.

Our young'ns might get their feelings hurt a bit. But they'd see up close the type of preparation and intensity it takes to compete in this league.

He isn't a perfect mentor, with his tendency to upstage coaches/GMs. But his practices are legend for a reason.

And a lineup of

Len
Collins
J Butler
Huerter
Trae

He's never won anything but acts like he's on Lebron level. That doesn't help anyone.

He's pyrite. Sound and fury signifying nothing.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#7 » by HMFFL » Tue Jan 8, 2019 2:23 am

Jamaaliver wrote:If we're serious about making a run at the post season next year, yes. I'd be in favor of it.

And a lineup of

Len
Collins
J Butler
Huerter
Trae

With eveeything, negatives go with the positives, but like you said, if we're serious about making a run we go for it.
On the other hand, the lottery is valuable to us this year, so the likelihood is zero. It's still interesting to discuss it.

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,470

Post#8 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jan 8, 2019 2:31 am

kg01 wrote:He's pyrite. Sound and fury signifying nothing.

Perhaps. But he is a difference maker. I saw Minny struggle for 12 years without a playoff appearance. JB shows up and rthey instantly get over the hump for a winning season and playoff appearance.

I've always liked him. But he is volatile.

I wouldn't call him a cancer, though.

He's more like TNT. Properly handled, he can cut through a great number of obstacles to help your franchise progress to the next level.

Mishandled, and it could all blow up in your face.
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,077

Post#9 » by High 5 » Tue Jan 8, 2019 4:04 am

I don't know if LP and our young guys would be ready for Butler. Ready to deal with his attitude or ready to play at the level he demands. We could make the playoffs with him, but I don't think we'd make much noise. So he'd probably look elsewhere regardless of our desires.
benhillboy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,649

Post#10 » by benhillboy » Tue Jan 8, 2019 4:25 am

I’ve always been a fan of his game, he hasn’t had problems with anyone who didnt deserve to be called out or challenged:

Rondo spits in people’s face
Wade has been widely reported as a diva in his later years
Hoiberg is rightfully unemployed
Thibs’ best role is assistant
KAT allowed Butler to belittle him, Wiggins doesn’t care either way
I never could take Brett Brown serious

I think Coach Pierce and Vince would demand and earn much more respect than any of these people. The Bulls and Minny teams he was on were extremely soft, so much that it makes our roster look slightly stout with our recent defense and rebounding.

He said as much when he left Minny, he wants teammates and coaches who won’t be afraid to bark on him as well. I wouldn’t want to play with and for a bunch of church mouses either. This report wouldn’t have come out if Brown simply told Butler in front of the team that his offensive numbers and advanced defensive metrics are down, “f&@k you, your minutes, and your touches, you need better conditioning to stay on the floor anyway, this is Joel’s team, fall in line, and learn how to shoot threes you pompous diva,” or something along those lines. Controversy averted. The fact that he doesn’t care how badly all of his complaints makes him look is actually a plus for me.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,375

Post#11 » by King Ken » Tue Jan 8, 2019 6:35 am

He fits ability wise but man... He has a personality. I know Pierce is good with personalities. I still think LAC is likely in the lead if they can get Leonard as well over us. Not to mentioning, staying in Philly.
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#12 » by Spud2nique » Tue Jan 8, 2019 8:26 am

I want a younger guy. I mean Jimmy has a lot of mileage on him. Plus the tude..I’d pass and continue to build.
kg01
General Manager

Post#13 » by kg01 » Tue Jan 8, 2019 2:29 pm

benhillboy wrote:I’ve always been a fan of his game, he hasn’t had problems with anyone who didnt deserve to be called out or challenged:

I think Coach Pierce and Vince would demand and earn much more respect than any of these people. The Bulls and Minny teams he was on were extremely soft, so much that it makes our roster look slightly stout with our recent defense and rebounding.

He said as much when he left Minny, he wants teammates and coaches who won’t be afraid to bark on him as well. I wouldn’t want to play with and for a bunch of church mouses either. This report wouldn’t have come out if Brown simply told Butler in front of the team that his offensive numbers and advanced defensive metrics are down, “f&@k you, your minutes, and your touches, you need better conditioning to stay on the floor anyway, this is Joel’s team, fall in line, and learn how to shoot threes you pompous diva,” or something along those lines. Controversy averted. The fact that he doesn’t care how badly all of his complaints makes him look is actually a plus for me.

Give me Spittin' Rondo a thousand times before Jimi. Rondo contributes to winning, Jimi just talks about it.
Hazer
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,127

Post#14 » by Hazer » Tue Jan 8, 2019 3:27 pm

Hard pass
Hazerbeamidge :guitar:
jayu70
RealGM

Post#15 » by jayu70 » Tue Jan 8, 2019 3:57 pm

kg01 wrote:
benhillboy wrote:I’ve always been a fan of his game, he hasn’t had problems with anyone who didnt deserve to be called out or challenged:

Give me Spittin' Rondo a thousand times before Jimi. Rondo contributes to winning, Jimi just talks about it.

I don't care for guys who spit at people but Rondo is a better teammate than Jimmy. Rondo is all about team, Jimmy is all about Jimmy.
EazyRoc
Senior
And1: 389

Post#16 » by EazyRoc » Tue Jan 8, 2019 5:14 pm

Jimmy would be a perfect fit skill wise. If we had a veteran coach like Bud, I’d be for it. I don’t know how a rookie coach and young roster would respond to someone outspoken like he is.
hawkmanreturns
Junior
And1: 735

Post#17 » by hawkmanreturns » Tue Jan 8, 2019 5:43 pm

If Jimmy is a viable option then Cousins is an option. Personally, I'd keep both guys as far away from the young Hawks as possible. As soon as Butler's skills erode, he will be out of the NBA because nobody wants him in their locker room. He is the anti-Vince Carter.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#18 » by jayu70 » Tue Jan 8, 2019 5:47 pm

EazyRoc wrote:Jimmy would be a perfect fit skill wise. If we had a veteran coach like Bud, I’d be for it. I don’t know how a rookie coach and young roster would respond to someone outspoken like he is.

Jimmy had HIS veteran coach in Thibs and he was still a locker room issue for young players....keep him far away.
He wants more ISO in Philly as opposed to free flowing offense which is also what Bud would run, so he'd still be unhappy.
macd-gm
Starter
And1: 2,515

Post#19 » by macd-gm » Tue Jan 8, 2019 6:03 pm

I was a huge fan 2 years ago. He seems to think he's a leader now but he's not. He doesn't understand how to lead.

Here's what it feels like to be Jimmy's teammate these days

Atlanta Hawk Fan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 659

Post#20 » by Atlanta Hawk Fan » Tue Jan 8, 2019 8:46 pm

KAT allowed Butler to belittle him,

Sounds a lot like:

Return to Atlanta Hawks