Nic Claxton

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,375

Nic Claxton 

Post#1 » by King Ken » Mon Jan 7, 2019 7:43 am

This 6'11 former PG in HS was highly rated by me for his potential. I didn't think he was a 2 and done player but more of a three year and we should see type. Since Coach Crean came in, his profile has been elevated to another level and he has a shot at being a potential 1st rounder in this year's class. He has an unpolished versatile game where he can do it all. Think a smaller Rasheed Wallace without the polish and frame in terms of his can do it all status. While he is skinny and was extremely skinny, he does have broad shoulders average width. So you wonder how much weight can he carry. He is already bigger than Brandan Wright so it should be more than that. His versatile nature and ability to switch and guard perimeter players should appeal to teams looking for modern 5s.

For him, his ability to put on weight will be critical. I think he will peak at Frank Kamanisky size and weight. Not great but he does provide a lot of value on both ends. Father played for UGA in the 90's as did his mother.

Here is one of his best games v. UGA's rival, GT:

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=25595124

Coach Crean on him:
http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=25594660
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,183

Re: Nic Claxton 

Post#2 » by clyde21 » Mon Jan 7, 2019 10:44 am

definitely a first round talent if he declares imo, his per40 numbers are pretty elite. I like him a lot more than Moses Brown.

Rayshaun Hammonds is a prospect too on that team.
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#3 » by nolang1 » Tue Jan 8, 2019 7:20 pm

He really strikes me as being two years away from being two years away, but this draft is weak enough that sure he could be a 1st rounder.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,211

Post#4 » by EvanZ » Sat Feb 9, 2019 4:29 pm

I'm on board. I think he's not far behind Hayes defensively and actually quite a bit more skilled. First round pick if he comes out.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#5 » by King Ken » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:06 am

EvanZ wrote:I'm on board. I think he's not far behind Hayes defensively and actually quite a bit more skilled. First round pick if he comes out.

I think he is a 2020 but a 2020 top 10 pick. If Edwards comes to UGA, they might have a national contender with Hammonds. They need a #1 option BAD!
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#6 » by EvanZ » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:56 am

King Ken wrote:
EvanZ wrote:I'm on board. I think he's not far behind Hayes defensively and actually quite a bit more skilled. First round pick if he comes out.

I think he is a 2020 but a 2020 top 10 pick. If Edwards comes to UGA, they might have a national contender with Hammonds. They need a #1 option BAD!

Here’s my philosophy. If you think a guy is a guy next year then he’s a guy this year.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#7 » by King Ken » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:35 am

EvanZ wrote:
King Ken wrote:

Here’s my philosophy. If you think he a guy is a guy next year then he’s a guy this year.

He needs to work on his consistency and strength
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#8 » by EvanZ » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:37 am

King Ken wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
King Ken wrote:I think he is a 2020 but a 2020 top 10 pick. If Edwards comes to UGA, they might have a national contender with Hammonds. They need a #1 option BAD!

Here’s my philosophy. If you think he a guy is a guy next year then he’s a guy this year.

He needs to work on his consistency and strength

As does every young big. If he has the talent he can work on that in then NBA with a pro training staff. Even better.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#9 » by clyde21 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:41 am

EvanZ wrote:
King Ken wrote:

Here’s my philosophy. If you think a guy is a guy next year then he’s a guy this year.

ding ding ding
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#10 » by EvanZ » Fri May 17, 2019 6:23 am

Already had him in the first round but had to move him higher after seeing his measurements. I may end up moving him into the Lottery.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#11 » by GimmeDat » Fri May 17, 2019 8:25 am

I'm interested to know at what point do teams just stop drafting C's in the 1st round this year?

I can definitely see the argument for Claxton over some of the other bigs considered 1st's this year (Kab/Gafford/Fernando/Jontay etc.) (didn't include Bol/Clarke/Hayes etc. because they're close to lottery locks), but that's a lot of 5's to go in the 1st, and when you go through the teams and actually do a mock I feel like it's inevitable that at least a couple will slip to the 2nd round.

If teams deem that Claxton is a better prospect than Gafford/Kab/Fernando/Jontay* (*heath wise idk where he's going to actually be picked), then I can see him going as high as mid-1st. But if he doesn't quite get the edge he could easily be an early 2nd as well.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#12 » by clyde21 » Fri May 17, 2019 8:53 am

GimmeDat wrote:I'm interested to know at what point do teams just stop drafting C's in the 1st round this year?

I can definitely see the argument for Claxton over some of the other bigs considered 1st's this year (Kab/Gafford/Fernando/Jontay etc.) (didn't include Bol/Clarke/Hayes etc. because they're close to lottery locks), but that's a lot of 5's to go in the 1st, and when you go through the teams and actually do a mock I feel like it's inevitable that at least a couple will slip to the 2nd round.

If teams deem that Claxton is a better prospect than Gafford/Kab/Fernando/Jontay* (*heath wise idk where he's going to actually be picked), then I can see him going as high as mid-1st. But if he doesn't quite get the edge he could easily be an early 2nd as well.

a lot of C prospects, and you didnt even include Reid and Bassey and Goga.

i think Bol/Hayes/Clarke/Goga for sure go in the first...I'd have Kab as a surefire first rounder too. other than that, I can see the rest dropping to the 2nd. just too much C talent and not enough demand.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#13 » by No-Man » Fri May 17, 2019 9:25 am

Claxton is the 3rd best big for me, after Goga and Hayes, if you consider Zion, PJ, Grant and Clarke only bigs, then 7th, Jontay next

Those are the guys I'd consider in the 1st really, nobody else, and with Jontay I'd need medical clearance

I had Tillie there too, but just too many issues with his body for me to take the risk, everybody else is a 2nd round type
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#14 » by Coeur » Fri May 17, 2019 9:32 am

GimmeDat wrote:I'm interested to know at what point do teams just stop drafting C's in the 1st round this year?

I can’t even get past bolbol and goga to even feel good about Hayes. Much less the next group.

Do not like this draft at pg or center
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#15 » by GimmeDat » Fri May 17, 2019 11:46 am

clyde21 wrote:

a lot of C prospects, and you didnt even include Reid and Bassey and Goga.

i think Bol/Hayes/Clarke/Goga for sure go in the first...I'd have Kab as a surefire first rounder too. other than that, I can see the rest dropping to the 2nd. just too much C talent and not enough demand.

Yeah exactly, I left those other guys out because I don't see a chance they make it in to the 1st (apart from Goga, just forgot about him).

I think Claxton may just slip to the early 2nd and be great value there.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#16 » by No-Man » Fri May 17, 2019 12:45 pm

Nic Claxton is like souped up version of Jared Jeffries
Hoopz Afrik
Veteran
And1: 2,064

Post#17 » by Hoopz Afrik » Fri May 17, 2019 12:56 pm

Fischella wrote:Nic Claxton is like souped up version of Jared Jeffries

I like this comparison a lot.

I kinda hope he goes back to UGA for another year but I can't fault him should he decide to keep his name in the draft.
Super Eagles GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#18 » by EvanZ » Fri May 17, 2019 1:56 pm

I think Claxton is kinda Kevon Looney.
kobyz
Rookie
And1: 270

Post#19 » by kobyz » Fri May 17, 2019 4:44 pm

Christian Wood clone, too erratic and weak, second rounder type prospect...
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#20 » by nolang1 » Fri May 17, 2019 5:32 pm

Coeur wrote:

I can’t even get past bolbol and goga to even feel good about Hayes. Much less the next group.

Do not like this draft at pg or center

Hayes: Clint Capela measurements, highest BPM of any non-Zion freshman, on a development trajectory where he's less than two years removed from being more focused on football and a benchwarmer for his high school team. I don't think it's that complicated with him.

Return to NBA Draft