Welcome Furkan Korkmaz

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,046

Re: Welcome Furkan Korkmaz 

Post#621 » by Sixerscan » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:11 pm

SexDrugsPnR wrote:what's confusing me is how many people in this forum have moved on from a mindset of "every asset is valuable" to now saying that giving away young players for free "doesn't move the needle". a few years ago every late 2nd rounder that hinkie squeezed out of a 3 team deal was celebrated. these little things still matter. the fact that the team is now winning 50 games doesn't change that.
brett is running an 8-man rotation on most nights because the team is so thin, but somehow young improving role players are called "replacable" and then you look at how to replace them and you realise that we're paying the ghost of wilson chandler almost 13 mil. a year.

He's "replaceable" on the buyout market, or in next year's draft or free agency. Given that none of those things have happened yet, I'm not sure why you would expect him to replaced just yet given that basically every other player on the roster is currently injured and they made a depth for star move with the Butler trade. They obviously don't think he's replaceable today, but luckily he's under contract today.

I guess I just don't get what the point is of constantly complaining about a very small move that already happened. Too many people have no actual thoughts on how to improve the team going forward and instead just want to retrospectively discuss every decision or result that didn't work out perfectly. Part of the whole optionality and "process" stuff is understanding that not every move is going to work out perfectly and learning how to move on.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,446

Post#622 » by youngcrev » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:15 pm

SexDrugsPnR wrote:what's confusing me is how many people in this forum have moved on from a mindset of "every asset is valuable" to now saying that giving away young players for free "doesn't move the needle". a few years ago every late 2nd rounder that hinkie squeezed out of a 3 team deal was celebrated. these little things still matter. the fact that the team is now winning 50 games doesn't change that.
brett is running an 8-man rotation on most nights because the team is so thin, but somehow young improving role players are called "replacable" and then you look at how to replace them and you realise that we're paying the ghost of wilson chandler almost 13 mil. a year.

That's a good point in terms of looking at how they've done things from a macro perspective. Small, seemingly inconsequential moves can add up over time. But that's also a different conversation than harping over an individual, seemingly inconsequential move.

As for Furkan being replaceable, he better be. And this year if the team wants to make any waves. He's young and improving, but he still has no business being in the rotation of a team that's trying to win the east, and EB needs to address that.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,057

Post#623 » by sixers hoops » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:48 pm

Sixerscan wrote:

He's "replaceable" on the buyout market, or in next year's draft or free agency. Given that none of those things have happened yet, I'm not sure why you would expect him to replaced just yet given that basically every other player on the roster is currently injured and they made a depth for star move with the Butler trade. They obviously don't think he's replaceable today, but luckily he's under contract today.

I guess I just don't get what the point is of constantly complaining about a very small move that already happened. Too many people have no actual thoughts on how to improve the team going forward and instead just want to retrospectively discuss every decision or result that didn't work out perfectly. Part of the whole optionality and "process" stuff is understanding that not every move is going to work out perfectly and learning how to move on.

Exactly. The front office has made some dumb moves since the Colangelo firing, but Elton got the most important move done with the Butler trade. In my opinion, this team is closer to a championship than they were 6 months ago.

Korkmaz is a nice bench option, but if the summer goes the way they hope, they expected to renounce him anyway to clear cap space. That he got minutes and became tradeable, but has basically no trade value because of that decision sucks. Ultimately, it was a bad decision that I hope
we don’t end up regretting too much in the long term.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,733

Post#624 » by Mik317 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:03 pm

no one is saying that not picking up his option was a good move. It was dumb. Very dumb.

However, at the end of the day it should not be a big deal in the long run so constantly harping on it is even more dumb. Korkmaz as he is should not be difficult to replace...either via a trade, the draft, or a buyout. He has some potential but the bottom line is that he probably didn't have much of a future here. This team is on a certain track and it doesn't have time for a ton of prospects....as such ones that they have put more time and assets into will get first dibs...Korkmaz was simply behind Fultz, Smith, and Shamet...and probably tied w/ Shake. It is what it is. Sucks and at the very least we should have picked up his option if only to trade him but what's done is done and unless we **** up big time, it shouldn't really kill the team longterm.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Mrcrockpots
Junior
And1: 172

Post#625 » by Mrcrockpots » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:48 pm

Furkan Korkmaz November and December highlight reel :rockon:

BigSleep333
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,632

Post#626 » by BigSleep333 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:07 pm

tbh, hes disappointing me the last weeks. his shooting mechanic looks good, but somehow he shoots just a tick above 32% from 3, and less than 40 % overall. add his subpar defense and i understand the decision on him more and more. hes also not quick enough. he looks smooth in his movements, but too slow.
Chris76
Sixth Man
And1: 318

Post#627 » by Chris76 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:50 pm

BigSleep333 wrote:tbh, hes disappointing me the last weeks. his shooting mechanic looks good, but somehow he shoots just a tick above 32% from 3, and less than 40 % overall. add his subpar defense and i understand the decision on him more and more. hes also not quick enough. he looks smooth in his movements, but too slow.

Good points. The decision limits his value past this year for the Sixers. He doesn't have the strength to play SF or worse switch onto a PF.

Future, he could be a good combo guard with his length, shooting, and play making.
pootbrah
Bench Warmer
And1: 897

Post#628 » by pootbrah » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:03 pm

Worth an option. Lucky him tbh, he will get a similar amount at the team of his choice now
el_turco
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#629 » by el_turco » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:18 pm

To be honest as a turkish guy i am extremely dissapointed in furkan. Not because of his defense, not because of some turnovers just because of his poor shooting.

Until november the 76ers gave him no opportunity but since november he got plenty of minutes and his first 10 games or so went fine.

But since then his shooting is so poor and thats what i dont understand. This guy shot over 40% from beyond the arc and shooting usually translates very well from europe to the nba.

Funny thing he missed especially very wide open threes and made contested threes way easier.

Of course i didnt expect him to reach the 40% mark at this point but come on he should be able to get 37.5% somehow

76ers are using him primarly as a shooter and thats his job and when he shoots just over 30% he is not doing his job and doesnt deserve minutes on a top team in the east.

I hope philly will waive him or they reach a buyout because no one will trade for him with the restriction. Ideal destination for him is every team that is tanking or doing a nice job in player development without contending ambitions (jazz or spurs).

I am not giving up on him but everything starts and falls with his shooting, thats considered as his nba skill and if he cant show it he is not nba - worthy. Shooting is his bread and butter..

As long you are not talented as ben simmons or embiid the 76ers cant develop you thats what i have got in the last years by scouting philly.
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#630 » by PhilasFinest » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:24 am

Landry Shamet has taken any chance (Barring injuries) for Furkan to get minutes this season.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#631 » by agiaco » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:43 am

el_turco wrote:
I am not giving up on him but everything starts and falls with his shooting, thats considered as his nba skill and if he cant show it he is not nba - worthy. Shooting is his bread and butter..

As long you are not talented as ben simmons or embiid the 76ers cant develop you thats what i have got in the last years by scouting philly.

These two paragraphs are contradictory. If shooting is his bread and butter, and he's sucking, what is there to develop? That's his NBA calling card and it will never be anything else. He's just not very good. Doesn't even have any trade value.

And Robert Covington is the epitome of player development.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,002

Post#632 » by Bum Adebayo » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:18 am

el_turco wrote:To be honest as a turkish guy i am extremely dissapointed in furkan. Not because of his defense, not because of some turnovers just because of his poor shooting.

Until november the 76ers gave him no opportunity but since november he got plenty of minutes and his first 10 games or so went fine.

But since then his shooting is so poor and thats what i dont understand. This guy shot over 40% from beyond the arc and shooting usually translates very well from europe to the nba.

Funny thing he missed especially very wide open threes and made contested threes way easier.

Of course i didnt expect him to reach the 40% mark at this point but come on he should be able to get 37.5% somehow

76ers are using him primarly as a shooter and thats his job and when he shoots just over 30% he is not doing his job and doesnt deserve minutes on a top team in the east.

I hope philly will waive him or they reach a buyout because no one will trade for him with the restriction. Ideal destination for him is every team that is tanking or doing a nice job in player development without contending ambitions (jazz or spurs).

Same happened with Mario Hezonja, he was supposed to be an elite shooter with really good mechanics, in europe he was elite shooter his last season before draft, but never translated.
With Korkmaz I would like to see a bigger sample size to determine his true shooting ability.
Horrible takes since 2016
el_turco
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#633 » by el_turco » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:10 pm

agiaco wrote:These two paragraphs are contradictory. If shooting is his bread and butter, and he's sucking, what is there to develop? That's his NBA calling card and it will never be anything else. He's just not very good. Doesn't even have any trade value.

And Robert Covington is the epitome of player development.

Not sure about that. Beside shooting he can provide you some kind of playmaking skills because his ballhandling looks very natural and comfortable. But you are right with Covington. The problem with Korkmaz is the timeline. Last year he could have got more chances but sadly he injured himself but now the 76ers are a borderline contender and i get that they cant offer more patience than they already did.

Bum Adebayo wrote:Same happened with Mario Hezonja, he was supposed to be an elite shooter with really good mechanics, in europe he was elite shooter his last season before draft, but never translated.
With Korkmaz I would like to see a bigger sample size to determine his true shooting ability.

Maybe you are right, cause this season is his first real season and could be to soon to give up on him already but if he gets a breakthrough season it wont happen with the 76ers.

Korkmaz was considered as an even better shooter than Hezonja was. Furkan cracked the 40% mark with ease nearly every year in Europa but Hezonja did it just once.

Not sayin that Furkan is a better player but just sayin his shooting was better but he needs to improve physically :banghead:

Look as a turkish guy of course i am rooting for Furkan but i was realistic in my personal expectations. When i compared him to Cedi i knew that Cedi was gonna make his way in the NBA somehow but furkan was a much more high risk high reward player.

Cedi Osman:
best Case = Sixth Man
realistic = 7th or 8th in rotation
worst case = 9th or 10 in rotation

Furkan Korkmaz:
Best Case = Starter
Realistic = Sixth Man /Roleplayer
Worst Case = Out of the league

Dont get fooled by Cedis minutes because its just the Cavs.
BenSimmons4MVP
Sophomore
And1: 38

Post#634 » by BenSimmons4MVP » Sat Feb 9, 2019 4:47 am

How about another back-up guard in the mix?
Iverson2Simmons. Its 1996 all over again! :D
76ersfan
Pro Prospect
And1: 205

Post#635 » by 76ersfan » Sat Feb 9, 2019 6:25 am

That put back dunk he had tonight was sweet.
Long Live Sam Hinkie :D
notericjr
Sophomore
And1: 132

Post#636 » by notericjr » Sat Feb 9, 2019 9:35 am

Not a fan of his but he played really well.

Weird how the one guy who actually wanted to be traded this whole time ended up the one staying.
Lou_23
Bench Warmer
And1: 724

Post#637 » by Lou_23 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:03 pm

Read on Twitter
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,057

Post#638 » by sixers hoops » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:45 pm

Lou_23 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Sounds like surgery. I assume out for the season since playoffs start in two months.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,746

Post#639 » by Negrodamus » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:52 pm

So does that mean Shake takes what's left of Furkan's minutes?
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,797

Post#640 » by XtremeDunkz » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:56 pm

Well weve seen the last of him.
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers