Jayden Gardner

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Jayden Gardner 

Post#1 » by 12footrim » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:13 am

He's already arguably the best player in the AAC as a freshman and the AAC is 6th rated conference in RPI ahead of the Pac 12. After watching him carve up an NCAA caliber team / preseason favorite UCF with arguably the best defensive center in college basketball for 35 points and 20 rebounds on the road I think he deserves a thread as someone to keep an eye on.

He already had the highest PER in the conference comfortably before that monster game averaging 19.4ppg, 9.5rpg in 30 minutes a game and is a good defender 94 defensive rating. He doesn't have any NBA measurables at 6-6, 245 but he's doing it on a crappy team that is ranked 346th in 3 point shooting with zero space where defenses are collapsing on him and he's still killing teams. If he keeps dropping these type of games and numbers it's going to be hard to ignore.

Highlights, not much of him because he's not flashy but he is elite at getting himself to the FT line. 2nd highest rate in the NCAA I believe.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Re: Jayden Gardner 

Post#2 » by doordoor123 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:42 pm

Nothing special about him. Poor man’s Jameel Warney.
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#3 » by 12footrim » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:46 pm

doordoor123 wrote:Nothing special about him. Poor man’s Jameel Warney.

While I agree his measurables are terrible and nothing pops at first glance I disagree with nothing being special about him. You just need to watch him, I think he has a special ability to score in the post and draw fouls which could translate the way the NBA is downsizing, elite ball handling and first step at his size. It's just worth recognizing since he's a freshman in a legit conference almost putting up 20 and 10 IMO. I certainly reject the Jameel Warney comparison already for potiental considering he is putting up 21 and 12 with a 29 PER conference play only in the American not the American East as a freshman not a senior.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#4 » by doordoor123 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:54 pm

12footrim wrote:

While I agree his measurables are terrible and nothing pops at first glance I disagree with nothing being special about him. You just need to watch him, I think he has a special ability to score in the post and draw fouls which could translate the way the NBA is downsizing, elite ball handling and first step at his size. It's just worth recognizing since he's a freshman in a legit conference almost putting up 20 and 10 IMO. I certainly reject the Jameel Warney comparison already for potiental considering he is going to be putting up 21 and 12 with a 29 PER in the American not the American East as a freshman not a senior.

I’ve seen him play twice. He plays below the rim, he kills it on the boards because he’s bigger and stronger than everyone else. He doesn’t get back in transition, super slow getting up and down the floor and he has college level defense. Maybe in the old days he would be drafted, but he doesn’t fit the mold of a modern NBA player. I don’t know if you remember but Warney was killing it in the same way. I think there’s more developing for him to do and maybe he can get to the point where he’ll get drafted, but not this year in that conference. It’s more likely he’s auditioning to transfer.
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by 12footrim » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:05 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
12footrim wrote:

While I agree his measurables are terrible and nothing pops at first glance I disagree with nothing being special about him. You just need to watch him, I think he has a special ability to score in the post and draw fouls which could translate the way the NBA is downsizing, elite ball handling and first step at his size. It's just worth recognizing since he's a freshman in a legit conference almost putting up 20 and 10 IMO. I certainly reject the Jameel Warney comparison already for potiental considering he is going to be putting up 21 and 12 with a 29 PER in the American not the American East as a freshman not a senior.

I’ve seen him play twice. He plays below the rim, he kills it on the boards because he’s bigger and stronger than everyone else. He doesn’t get back in transition, super slow getting up and down the floor and he has college level defense. Maybe in the old days he would be drafted, but he doesn’t fit the mold of a modern NBA player. I don’t know if you remember but Warney was killing it in the same way. I think there’s more developing for him to do and maybe he can get to the point where he’ll get drafted, but not this year in that conference. It’s more likely he’s auditioning to transfer.

I don't disagree with a lot of what you said about him physically but at some point if he still getting 21 and 12 as a freshman in that conference with a 29 PER does it really mater? The FT drawing is a skill and rebounding is one of the most transferable skills through each level.

The American is good BTW. It's rated ahead of the Pac 12 in RPI and is generally considered one of the 7 major conferences in basketball pretty comfortably most writers call it a "power conference". UConn, Cincy, Memphis, Witchita St, Houston etc. Memphis just signed the #1 player in the country. Sure ECU is trash and I say that as an ECU fan but the conference of exposure will not be his problem. AAC is on ESPN all the time and has great players and historically strong teams. ECU had a coaching change after he signed and he didn't de commit. He actually wants to be here I think.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by doordoor123 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:09 pm

12footrim wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
12footrim wrote:

I don't disagree with a lot of what you said about him physically but at some point if he still getting 21 and 12 as a freshman in that conference with a 29 PER does it really mater? The FT drawing is a skill and rebounding is one of the most transferable skills through each level.

The American is good BTW. It's rated ahead of the Pac 12 in RPI and is generally considered one of the 7 major conferences in basketball pretty comfortably. Memphis just signed the #1 player in the country. Sure ECU is trash and I say that as an ECU fan but the conference of exposure will not be his problem. AAC is on ESPN all the time and has great players and historically strong teams.

Jameel Warney also got to the line a lot, but mostly because no one can stop his strength. And the American in particular doesn’t play the speed of the NBA (which is more up and down). They play more half-court offense. I’m not saying he doesn’t do what he does really well, but the NBA is a different beast. I just think it’s more likely he’s a player that needs to develop other areas of his game.
pad300
Sixth Man
And1: 384

Post#7 » by pad300 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:24 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
12footrim wrote:

Not sure I can buy the bolded item - that's Tacko Fall he's playing against UCF, and he got 20 boards. He sure as hell ain't bigger than Fall...
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by doordoor123 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:25 pm

pad300 wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
12footrim wrote:

Not sure I can buy the bolded item - that's Tacko Fall he's playing against UCF, and he got 20 boards. He sure as hell ain't bigger than Fall...

Tacko isn’t strong. But I’ll have to watch that game. I’ll watch it and see how he got those boards.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by doordoor123 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:36 pm

Okay, I’m like 3 minutes into the game. He looks different than I remember. Still think he’s slow, but not terribly slow, more like Williams from Tennessee. But he hustles hard for rebounds. He has a nose for the ball.
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by 12footrim » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:42 pm

Taco is 300lbs so he has to be strong, with a wingspan and standing reach 10" longer than either Yao and Shawn Bradley. He has a 10' 6" standing reach and he played 30 mintues and Garnder still got off on him. Fall led the NCAA in defensive rating a couple years ago and is among the leaders now. He's a great rim defender. They start a 6-11, 230lb guy at PF too beside him and there team is at worst top 35 ranked nationally. That's what made this 35 and 20 so crazy to do it at that wall of size and quality of defender. Literally 7-6 and 6-11 starters in the post and the 7-6 guy has the longest lenght in basketball history and a 6-6 guy trucked them for 35 and 20 in the post. I was skeptical but that game made me a believer he will get his shots off against nearly anyone.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by 12footrim » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:43 pm

doordoor123 wrote:Okay, I’m like 3 minutes into the game. He looks different than I remember. Still think he’s slow, but not terribly slow, more like Williams from Tennessee. But he hustles hard for rebounds. He has a nose for the ball.

I re-watched his HS highlights, honestly he making more flashy plays, allowed to get out in transition and doing more with the ball in his hands in HS and getting above the rim. He's done none of that at ECU. So far here he is just doing blue collar workman stuff around the rim on a team that never runs. He might actually have more game he could be exploring, look at the HS dunks and drives to the rim, stepback jumpers etc.The guy is really fast at that size and hasn't even been unleashed in transition or dunked more than a couple times as conservative as we are.

Defiantly a lot more flashy above the rim play going on than what I've seen at ECU so far he could be exploring.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by doordoor123 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:13 pm

12footrim wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:Okay, I’m like 3 minutes into the game. He looks different than I remember. Still think he’s slow, but not terribly slow, more like Williams from Tennessee. But he hustles hard for rebounds. He has a nose for the ball.

I re-watched his HS highlights, honestly he making more flashy plays, allowed to get out in transition and doing more with the ball in his hands in HS and getting above the rim. He's done none of that at ECU. So far here he is just doing blue collar workman stuff around the rim on a team that never runs. He might actually have more game he could be exploring, look at the HS dunks and drives to the rim, stepback jumpers etc.The guy is really fast at that size and hasn't even been unleashed in transition or dunked more than a couple times as conservative as we are.

Defiantly a lot more flashy above the rim play going on than what I've seen at ECU so far he could be exploring.

I’m kind of sticking with what I was saying originally. Other than not being as slow as I thought. Kind of looks like PJ Tucker out there in the way he moves. Still plays under the rim and is killing guys with his strength. Also has a nice feel for the basket around the basket. He lays in everything. His jumper isn’t always going in and his form is a little weird, but it has a quick and high release. Also plays and shoots in rhythm. Solid passer. Again he has a nose for the ball and goes hard after rebounds.
He looks likes he’s not locked in on defense or even prepared for the ball to come near him. But there might potential there. I think he needs to get in better shape.
I also looked at some of the clips in the video you posted.

He actually looks promising.
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by 12footrim » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:02 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
12footrim wrote:

I’m kind of sticking with what I was saying originally. Other than not being as slow as I thought. Kind of looks like PJ Tucker out there in the way he moves. Still plays under the rim and is killing guys with his strength. Also has a nice feel for the basket around the basket. He lays in everything. His jumper isn’t always going in and his form is a little weird, but it has a quick and high release. Also plays and shoots in rhythm. Solid passer. Again he has a nose for the ball and goes hard after rebounds.
He looks likes he’s not locked in on defense or even prepared for the ball to come near him. But there might potential there. I think he needs to get in better shape.
I also looked at some of the clips in the video you posted.

He actually looks promising.

I could defiantly see Gardner getting in better shape and developing a 3 and getting into an NBA camp and just never getting cut. Re-watching that video actually opened my eyes and I've seen every college game. He gets no transition points here and he looked great running the open court and with the ball in his hands. Here he has done nothing but post up.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by 12footrim » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:47 pm

doordoor123 wrote: but not this year in that conference. It’s more likely he’s auditioning to transfer.

I'm not naive enough to think this can never change but he says he's 100% staying at ECU on twitter.

Read on Twitter

Getting noticed now. CBS and others named him the National Freshman of the Week

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/frosh-watch-east-carolinas-jayden-gardner-wins-freshman-of-the-week-honors-after-absurd-35-and-20-performances/

He's also 7th on CBS's their top 10 freshman performers.

" any player score 35 points and grab 20 rebounds is a rarity. There's only been seven instances of the that happening in college basketball in the past eight seasons, none of which came from freshmen. "

That was a great rim protecting team too, not some crappy team. Plays Temple tonight who is 15th in RPI
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#15 » by No-Man » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:22 pm

He should def transfer, same for Jalen Pickett
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by 12footrim » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:42 pm

Fischella wrote:He should def transfer, same for Jalen Pickett

MAAC is the 30th rated Conference while the AAC is the 6th rated in RPI and NET ahead of the Pac 12. I

http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2019/conferencerpi

I don't think the two are comparable really. Exposure in the AAC is not a problem, ECU is on some ESPN platform most every game. With a new coach who is committed to him and who has had successes I don't see the reason to waste a year sitting out at this point.

The AAC is good enough for James Wiseman #1 recruit in the nation next year and getting players to ECU hasn't really been the issue on why ECU is trash right now as much as keeping them. Elijah Hughes is averaging 15ppg on Syracuse, he should be here too and it looks like Dooley stands a better chance to hang on to our talent if Gardner is any indication. Got the #5 and #11 rated JUCO's nationally on 247 (both PG's) coming in next year to feed him the ball.

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Basketball/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=JuniorCollege
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by 12footrim » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:03 am

27 points
8 rebounds
4 assist
2 blocks
0 turnovers
on 17 shots

vs a team with an RPI of #15.

Not bad for a follow up to a historic game.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by doordoor123 » Fri Feb 8, 2019 5:04 pm

Hes fallen back down to earth recently. He should transfer.
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by 12footrim » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:20 pm

doordoor123 wrote:Hes fallen back down to earth recently. He should transfer.

He had 19 points and 16 rebounds vs a good Tulsa team and still has the 2nd highest PER of any freshman in the country and #1 PER in the AAC according the the broadcast yesterday.

There is plenty of room to grow and little reason to transfer because there is a lot of TV exposure and playing highly ranked teams is not an issue. The only issue is how much ECU improves and what is put around him and he should wait more than one year with a first year coach to see that.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by 12footrim » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:53 pm

Fischella wrote:He should def transfer, same for Jalen Pickett

doordoor123 wrote:He should transfer.

All but 4 games for ECU were on some ESPN platform or CBS Sports this year and this is for a terrible team.

9 conference games on ESPNU/ESPNews
2 conference games on CBS Sports Network
Everything else (7 other conf games OOC) on ESPN 3

That's for a bottom team in the AAC, any improvements and that gets better.

That's better than what bottom teams in the ACC gets IMO

Look at Wake Forrest TV.

6 conference games on ESPN2/ESPNU
5 conference games on Raycom
everything else (7 conference games) on RSN

I think you can make the case this is at worst equivalent exposure. Sure the one or 2 times they play Duke or UNC maybe that's higher profile but UConn, Cincy, Memphis, Witchita State these are schools that can and have been top 5 the last decade and most seem to be on their way back. Houston is there now. Lot of other good schools too. It's a legit big time conference.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource

Return to NBA Draft