ImageImageImage

Who should Falcons hire as new Offensive Coordinator?

Moderator: HMFFL

Who should Falcons look to run Offense moving forward?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:31 pm

Adam Gase
No votes
Darrell Bevell
No votes
Gary Kubiak
50%
Jim Caldwell
50%
Dirk Koetter
No votes

Total votes: 2

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,462

Re: Who should Falcons hire as new Offensive Coordinator? 

Post#21 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:35 pm

Read on Twitter

Sent from my RC555L using RealGM mobile app
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#22 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:40 pm

Do we believe this?

Read on Twitter

Sent from my RC555L using RealGM mobile app
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#23 » by atlantabbq99 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:48 am

Is Tom Moore available? He would be my first choice or Caldwell. But as long as Ryan likes Koetter, that is what is the most important.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#24 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:50 am

RealGM Wiretap wrote:Matt Ryan Excited To Work With Dirk Koetter Again

The Atlanta Falcons have made changes to their offensive staff yet again, but Matt Ryan is welcoming the new voices. Dirk Koetter is back as the team's offensive coordinator. He held the position from 2012-14. Ryan said on 680 The Fan that it is “hard” to see Steve Sarkisian leave the team, but that feeling is tempered by positive feelings about Koetter’s return to Atlanta. “I’m excited to work with Dirk Koetter again, it felt like my time spent with him early in my career was really productive,” Ryan said. “I’ve learned a lot since then, and I think we both can be better as we move forward. But, it’s one of the parts of the job that sucks, for sure. Letting people go and having new people come in and turnover, but it’s a part of this business and you have to deal with it.”
Wiretap
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#25 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:19 pm

An offensive coordinator again, Koetter ready for second stint with Falcons

Not​ even a week​ had​ passed​ when Dan​ Quinn and​ Dirk Koetter​ were in​ a room​ together​ reviewing the game tape​ from​ their​​ late-December season finale.

While re-watching that game, Quinn broke down what he saw, and Koetter explained what he was trying to do against Atlanta. Quinn recalled the moment as funny, considering he had spent the previous few years trying to out-scheme the man sitting near him in the same room.

Throughout the conversation, Quinn realized the football philosophies matched. And not long after this meeting, the Falcons tabbed Koetter to be their offensive coordinator.

“When I was talking to Coach Quinn about possibly coming here, he laid out his vision crystal clear for me,” Koetter said.

Moving forward, the Falcons will continue to address the offensive line, which included a three-year extension for reserve-turned-late-season-starter Ty Sambrailo. While the line needs some upgrades, the skill positions are littered with talent, with Julio Jones, Calvin Ridley, Mohamed Sanu, Austin Hooper and Devonta Freeman at Ryan’s disposal.

“We have a lot of good players,” Koetter said. “Let’s utilize them, let’s play to our strengths.”
The Athletic
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#26 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:05 pm

Even with new offensive coaches, not much will change: ‘It’s still more of a Shanahan style’

While Dirk Koetter was brought back, the offense isn’t expected to look like it did when he was with the franchise from 2012-14. While Koetter will implement (and already has in some cases) some preferred wrinkles, the offensive philosophy set from head coach Dan Quinn will remain intact. You will still see plenty of wide zone runs. You will see wide zone runs complemented with inside zone runs. Play-action will be a crucial piece to the passing game, playing off the run.

In fact, both Koetter and tight ends coach Mike Mularkey, also a former Falcons offensive coordinator, said they have been adjusting to the style of football Quinn wants to see out of that unit.

Mularkey said the offense will still have a Kyle Shanahan-type feel to it.

“I think the important thing is that it fits our personnel, first,” Mularkey said. “We’re not trying to force-feed anything particular on someone who can’t do it. It’s less of Dirk and I’s offense. It’s still more of a Shanahan style."

“It’s the Atlanta Falcons offense,” Koetter said. “The players are the owners of the offense. Coach Quinn is ultimately the guy who will have a lot of input in any major scheme changes that we have. I don’t think the average person is going to see a big difference. There isn’t a shortage of football plays out there. We have plenty of plays.”
The Athletic
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#27 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:25 pm

Answering biggest NFC South questions

Can the Atlanta Falcons be as dominant on offense with coordinator Dirk Koetter as they were during the 2016 Super Bowl run, when they averaged 33.8 points per game?

The Falcons have all the tools to be explosive on offense, with 2016 MVP Matt Ryan at quarterback, arguably the most dangerous receiver in the league in Julio Jones, plus a shifty running back in Devonta Freeman. Throw in receivers Calvin Ridley and Mohamed Sanu along with Pro Bowl tight end Austin Hooper and that makes for a rather intimidating crew. Ryan's familiarity with Koetter, who is back for his second stint as offensive coordinator, should help the offense flow a little better than last season. Having Mike Mularkey as the tight-ends coach, with his history for taking a smash-mouth approach, should be an asset in short-yardage, goal-line situations. If Jones and Freeman, who have dealt with nagging injuries over their careers, remain healthy, and if the rebuilt offensive line, with rookie first-rounders Chris Lindstrom and Kaleb McGary, stands strong, the Falcons should push for 30 points per game. Then the question becomes, will Dan Quinn's defense keep opposing offenses out of the end zone? -- Vaughn McClure
ESPN

Return to Atlanta Falcons