Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,045

Tyrese Haliburton 

Post#1 » by GeorgeMarcus » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:15 pm

I watched part of the Iowa State/Texas Tech game yesterday and was extremely impressed by the freshman guard Tyrese Haliburton. Upon checking his numbers, this guy has a BPM of 11.9, .715 TS% and hasn't turned the ball over more than twice in a game (averaging 34.4 mpg). At 6'5'' with a 7'0'' wingspan, Haliburton is 20 lbs away from having an ideal frame for an NBA guard.

I knew next-to-nothing about this guy before yesterday, so I'm curious to hear what people think about him.
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,617

Re: Tyrese Haliburton 

Post#2 » by eminence » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:23 pm

I like him quite a lot, obviously not going to be a star immediately or anything, but I think his paths to improvement are pretty obvious (on ball D and just becoming a bit more assertive as a scorer). I think anybody who likes Tre Jones should be all over this guy.
I bought a boat.
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by GeorgeMarcus » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:23 pm

Offensive Rating: 144.3 (2nd best in NCAA)
Defensive Rating: 92.7

Net Rating: +51.6 :o

GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by GeorgeMarcus » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:19 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:.

Big fan of your prospect analysis- Do you know anything about Haliburton?

nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#5 » by nolang1 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:23 pm

The other thing is he's by far the youngest prospect in the class. Only 4 years old.

Spoiler:
this is a joke about him being born on leap day
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by GeorgeMarcus » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:28 pm

nolang1 wrote:The other thing is he's by far the youngest prospect in the class. Only 4 years old.

Spoiler:
this is a joke about him being born on leap day

:lol: I had no idea what you were getting at.

NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#7 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:34 pm

GeorgeMarcus wrote:

STOP STALKING ME.

Kidding. Thank you! I was confused why I was quoted in here because I think the only time I've talked about him was either on Twitter or texting a few friends(?). :lol:

He's...unique. High hips for a guard, but he's quick with his footwork and hip turns on defense. Not a great athlete vertically, but I think he's a pretty nice one laterally and straight line.

Defensively, I think he anticipates things really well, but when teams choose to not go that route, it kind of backfires a bit - it's less of a gamble, more of a calculated risk with him? Not sure if that makes sense on paper, but watching some of his games I see that a bunch. Recovers well when he is caught out of position, which I like - had a nice block on Moretti (?) yesterday when he was beaten baseline. This could be scheming, but he seems to have more issues switching than other guys on ISU - like, the team switches a solid amount, but he seems to switch everything...even when it's not needed. So lack of communication can leave him / his team scrambling a bit.

Offensively, he's the epitome of the modern NBA - 3s and rims, nothing in between. Last I checked Synergy, he had 2(3?) floaters all year long and 2 pull up jumpers...which is pretty nuts lol. I hate his form, and actually told a few friends the way he arches his back kind of looks like my one of my dog's when he's constipated (TMI?). I don't think he's a great creator, but he's a Lonzo type - swing passes, kickaheads, etc. Smart player passing, though - he won't force much, not going to try to do stupid **** with the ball, etc.

I think he can be a nice 5th option on offense at point in the same way Lonzo can (it's a shame they both have funky shots) - low USG, smart passing, etc. Something like 70% of his offense came either in spot up opportunities (off ball C&S, attacking closeouts, etc) and transition. That SCREAMS low option role player, which isn't a bad thing. I think Tyrese's individual defense is better than Lonzo's was at the same stage, even with the risks he takes, but I think the team defense is at a lower level. My biggest issue with him is if he is chased off the line, his first option is always D&K - doesn't take to the rim that often. Only like 10% of his shots in the halfcourt came around the rim (and he doesn't take contact well and looks like he shies away from it quite a bit), so defenses will play him for the jumper - they have started doing this in college also, actually just a bit.

Basically, I think he's a pretty high IQ two-way player, with clear deficiencies in the half court on offense that need to be improved upon. An interesting player to pair next to ball dominant players really at any position, but I'd probably want him defending 1s first and foremost because his lower body frame is tiny (upper body looks a bit better frame wise, but the high hips worry me in adding strength and would probably limit him in his defensive versatility - similar to Shaun Livingston, kind of).

Hopefully that isn't too all over the place? He's definitely intriguing. I might end up doing a quick video on Twitter on him in the next few weeks?

Also, I miss the old name lol.
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by GeorgeMarcus » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:38 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:

STOP STALKING ME.

Kidding. Thank you! I was confused why I was quoted in here because I think the only time I've talked about him was either on Twitter or texting a few friends(?). :lol:

He's...unique. High hips for a guard, but he's quick with his footwork and hip turns on defense. Not a great athlete vertically, but I think he's a pretty nice one laterally and straight line.

Defensively, I think he anticipates things really well, but when teams choose to not go that route, it kind of backfires a bit - it's less of a gamble, more of a calculated risk with him? Not sure if that makes sense on paper, but watching some of his games I see that a bunch. Recovers well when he is caught out of position, which I like - had a nice block on Moretti (?) yesterday when he was beaten baseline. This could be scheming, but he seems to have more issues switching than other guys on ISU - like, the team switches a solid amount, but he seems to switch everything...even when it's not needed. So lack of communication can leave him / his team scrambling a bit.

Offensively, he's the epitome of the modern NBA - 3s and rims, nothing in between. Last I checked Synergy, he had 2(3?) floaters all year long and 2 pull up jumpers...which is pretty nuts lol. I hate his form, and actually told a few friends the way he arches his back kind of looks like my one of my dog's when he's constipated (TMI?). I don't think he's a great creator, but he's a Lonzo type - swing passes, kickaheads, etc. Smart player passing, though - he won't force much, not going to try to do stupid **** with the ball, etc.

I think he can be a nice 5th option on offense at point in the same way Lonzo can (it's a shame they both have funky shots) - low USG, smart passing, etc. Something like 70% of his offense came either in spot up opportunities (off ball C&S, attacking closeouts, etc) and transition. That SCREAMS low option role player, which isn't a bad thing. I think Tyrese's individual defense is better than Lonzo's was at the same stage, even with the risks he takes, but I think the team defense is at a lower level. My biggest issue with him is if he is chased off the line, his first option is always D&K - doesn't take to the rim that often. Only like 10% of his shots in the halfcourt came around the rim (and he doesn't take contact well and looks like he shies away from it quite a bit), so defenses will play him for the jumper - they have started doing this in college also, actually just a bit.

Basically, I think he's a pretty high IQ two-way player, with clear deficiencies in the half court on offense that need to be improved upon. An interesting player to pair next to ball dominant players really at any position, but I'd probably want him defending 1s first and foremost because his lower body frame is tiny (upper body looks a bit better frame wise, but the high hips worry me in adding strength and would probably limit him in his defensive versatility - similar to Shaun Livingston, kind of).

Hopefully that isn't too all over the place? He's definitely intriguing.

Well, damn. That was everything I hoped it would be and more. As such I will continue to stalk you, shamelessly.

NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#9 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:18 pm

GeorgeMarcus wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:

STOP STALKING ME.

Well, damn. That was everything I hoped it would be and more. As such I will continue to stalk you, shamelessly.

:lol: Just made a mini video with a few clips from last night (all good for most part besides first one, which was still overall good IMO). He had a few mishaps elsewhere (biting on fakes mainly), but didn’t put them in. You’ve inspired me and I’m now watching his defensive clips during a mini lunch break, lol. Still might make a longer video in a few weeks - I really like his overall defensive skill set/tools.

Read on Twitter
?s=21
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by GeorgeMarcus » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:35 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
STOP STALKING ME.

:lol: Just made a mini video with a few clips from last night (all good for most part besides first one, which was still overall good IMO). He had a few mishaps elsewhere (biting on fakes mainly), but didn’t put them in. You’ve inspired me and I’m now watching his defensive clips during a mini lunch break, lol. Still might make a longer video in a few weeks - I really like his overall defensive skill set/tools.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

I guess it's unusual to post a thread like this after a 2 pt performance, but it was his lengthy frame and defensive skill set that caught my attention last night. Then I looked at his numbers on the season and wondered how I never heard of this guy. Well done on the video- you'll have to let me know if you expand on it in a couple weeks. Either way, I'm honored to be a source of inspiration :wink:

EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,182

Post#11 » by EvanZ » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:54 pm

I have him top 10. To me he could be very similar to Lonzo functionally, which in this draft is worth a top 10 pick. He's clearly afraid of going to the free throw line just like Lonzo.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,128

Post#12 » by clyde21 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:02 pm

lanky and needs to gain weight and get stronger, which he should. his frame looks like it should support good amount of weight and muscle. his assist-to-TO ratio is elite, right up there with Tre Jones', and is a REALLY good team defender (read, react, help) for such a young player.

I think the 5th PG in this class spot is up for the taking (Garland, Morant, Jones, White) and right now to me it's between he and Hagans depending on who declares.

on a semi related note, THT is the best prospect on that team.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,182

Post#13 » by EvanZ » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:49 am

clyde21 wrote:

He gonna need TNT to tear down the wall he's building around the basket with all those bricks.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,128

Post#14 » by clyde21 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:39 am

EvanZ wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

He gonna need TNT to tear down the wall he's building around the basket with all those bricks.

granted...he needs to hit more shots for sure, but I'd be more wary if he took bad shots or his mechanics are off but that's not really the case right now. just seems to be missing shots, although he needs to do a better job of finishing at the rim to compensate.

other than that, tho, his game translates extremely well to the NBA, and if he starts hitting shots at a good clip, he'd be one of the best prospects in this entire draft.
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,925

Post#15 » by shakes0 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:10 pm

love this guy as a college PG, but his set shot style of shooting isn't going to work on the next level.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#16 » by No-Man » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:07 pm

I would be shocked if he is in this draft, but potential top20 guy in 2020 if he adds weight properly

Return to NBA Draft