Does anyone think Harden is on pace to pass Steph Curry’s peak this year?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Will Harden pass Curry’s peak this year?

Yes
19%
No
62%
Maybe
19%

Total votes: 37

HBK_Kliq_33
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,844

Re: Does anyone think Harden is on pace to pass Steph Curry’s peak this year? 

Post#21 » by HBK_Kliq_33 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:39 am

70sFan wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:
70sFan wrote:What does it even mean? I've seen many BS calls on Curry (just like on any superstar), many times he gets calls on drives when the contact is so negible that I could finish with that.

The only reason why Harden shoots much more FTs is because he's better at drawing fouls. Curry has different game (and many advantages over Harden on his own) but only Warriors fans can say what you just wrote.

Many non-Warriors fans remark about Harden's propensity to draw fouls—weren't Lakers players holding their hands behind their backs at one point to protest?

As for Curry, of all 20+ point scorers in NBA history he has either the lowest or second lowest foul rate. You can call that a lack of skill on his part to draw fouls if you wish. One can also remark on the oddity and marvel at how he still manages to have superior efficiency despite this impediment.

It's easy to explain - Curry shot a lot of threes and he doesn't drive nearly as much as Harden. I'd bet that he shot more jumpers in 2016 than any other 30+ppg scorer in NBA history. That's not a style for foul drawer. I don't say that he lacks ability to draw fouls, but he's not close to Harden there.

As far as drawing fouls skills, only Adrian Dantley is comparable to James Harden from players I've seen and Curry isn't close in that aspect to Dantley either.

Harden gets fouled on jumpshots a lot more than Curry does as well.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/james-harden-is-still-drawing-3-point-fouls-better-than-entire-nba-teams/

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/james-harden-gets-fouled-on-3s-more-than-any-nba-team/
ahmetmekin
Pro Prospect
And1: 476

Post#22 » by ahmetmekin » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:02 am

I don't know how one can say it is only about style when Curry cannot buy a foul even if he tries to get one. When it is Curry the referees prefer to swallow their whistles most of the time. I don't know the refs' motivations but the disparity between the foul calls for KD and Curry makes it clear that some superstars can get superstar calls and some superstars do not even get regular foul calls. Maybe the league management thinks that it would be unfair for the league if a guy has 70%+ TS.

HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:
70sFan wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:

Many non-Warriors fans remark about Harden's propensity to draw fouls—weren't Lakers players holding their hands behind their backs at one point to protest?

As for Curry, of all 20+ point scorers in NBA history he has either the lowest or second lowest foul rate. You can call that a lack of skill on his part to draw fouls if you wish. One can also remark on the oddity and marvel at how he still manages to have superior efficiency despite this impediment.

It's easy to explain - Curry shot a lot of threes and he doesn't drive nearly as much as Harden. I'd bet that he shot more jumpers in 2016 than any other 30+ppg scorer in NBA history. That's not a style for foul drawer. I don't say that he lacks ability to draw fouls, but he's not close to Harden there.

As far as drawing fouls skills, only Adrian Dantley is comparable to James Harden from players I've seen and Curry isn't close in that aspect to Dantley either.

Harden gets fouled on jumpshots a lot more than Curry does as well.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/james-harden-is-still-drawing-3-point-fouls-better-than-entire-nba-teams/

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/james-harden-gets-fouled-on-3s-more-than-any-nba-team/
thekdog34
Starter
And1: 782

Post#23 » by thekdog34 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:02 am

magicman1978 wrote:Seeing a lot of comments saying Harden - in just about any comparison to other greats it's stated that he carries s bigger load. He's currently a plus 8.5 net rating on offense - 121.6 on 113.1 off. Curry in comparison in 2016: +13.8 (119.3 vs 105.3). If Harden's teammates are so bad, how do they manage to do so well when he's not on the court? not having really watched the Rockets much, i'd be curious to know why that is.

D'Antoni offense plus Morey aggressively finding solid role players.

With harden out they still shoot a ton of 3s. They run the same system and without harden play a little faster and turn it over a bit less.

Chris Paul when he played was still pretty good. Gordon can score. Green and Rivers have been surprisingly good in the system. Also, they didn't hesitate to dump Carmelo and cut the minutes of Ennis.
CodeBreaker
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,272

Post#24 » by CodeBreaker » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:13 am

is Harden leading this team win 70 games this season?
Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM
And1: 6,602

Post#25 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:17 am

Going for Curry because he's impacting the game on and off the ball, while Harden when on the floor takes full control of the offence.

Sent from my Nokia 3210 using RealGM mobile app
Слава Украине!
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#26 » by HeartBreakKid » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:38 am

Dr Spaceman wrote:
No-more-rings wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:Curry was balls-to-the-wall from game 1 of the regular season while Harden kinda took the first 15 games off. I think Harden may be playing at a level over the last 20 games that’s superior to anything I saw from Curry (and that’s saying A LOT) but realistically unless they pull something out of their asses they’re too bad defensively to compete for a title. It would take a monstrous playoff run for Harden to pass Curry overall IMO but we’ll see. It’s been a fun ride so far and I’m along for the rest of it

Would his playoffs really need to be “monstrous”? Curry’s playoffs in 16’ were nothing that special.

Well I assume when Paul comes back Harden won’t keep playing at this level. Curry led his team to 73 wins which means there will be a regular season gap pretty much no matter how you slice it.

He wasn't exactly leading a ragtag group - the 16 Warriors are a much better team than the Houston Rockets, and I don't think we can conclude it is because Curry > Harden.
Dr Spaceman
General Manager
And1: 11,206

Post#27 » by Dr Spaceman » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:51 am

HeartBreakKid wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
No-more-rings wrote:Would his playoffs really need to be “monstrous”? Curry’s playoffs in 16’ were nothing that special.

Well I assume when Paul comes back Harden won’t keep playing at this level. Curry led his team to 73 wins which means there will be a regular season gap pretty much no matter how you slice it.

He wasn't exactly leading a ragtag group - the 16 Warriors are a much better team than the Houston Rockets, and I don't think we can conclude it is because Curry > Harden.

I think Harden is the better player but as I said in my OP the fact that Curry was giving max effort from day 1 and taking the RS much more seriously is important to me. 73 wins doesn’t happen if Curry took 15 games to get in gear like Harden did.
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,693

Post#28 » by WarriorGM » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:59 am

HeartBreakKid wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
No-more-rings wrote:Would his playoffs really need to be “monstrous”? Curry’s playoffs in 16’ were nothing that special.

Pray tell what else Curry could have done in that situation besides leading his team to 73 wins, getting a unanimous MVP, sinking 400 3s, and having likely the most efficient season of all-time to make you come to such a conclusion.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM

Post#29 » by HeartBreakKid » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:38 am

WarriorGM wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

Pray tell what else Curry could have done in that situation besides leading his team to 73 wins, getting a unanimous MVP, sinking 400 3s, and having likely the most efficient season of all-time to make you come to such a conclusion.

Huh? Stop making these weird martyr esque arguments, I didn't say Curry could have done more nor is that even a relevant point...
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,346

Post#30 » by PistolPeteJR » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:27 pm

CodeBreaker wrote:is Harden leading this team win 70 games this season?

Does Harden have players a la 2016 Klay and Draymond by his side?
Vladimir777
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,121

Post#31 » by Vladimir777 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:28 pm

So whoever is on the better team is automatically the better player?

I’m not saying 16 Curry is or isn’t better than what Harden could be this season, but I just strongly disagree with that logic.
Pipp33
Rookie
And1: 650

Post#32 » by Pipp33 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:44 pm

For me it's Curry and it's not that close.

Harden's usage rates and shot attempts are off the charts and when he is on the court, that ball is in his hands. Yes, he's a fantastic player, but if Curry was in that same situation, I think he is more effective.

I'm not a fan of Harden's style of play and flopping for free throws. I think it's terrible basketball and whilst he is not the only one doing it, he's the best at it. Should he be punished for taking advantage of the interpretation of the rules??? No, but it doesn't mean I have to like watching it either. I do think he is an excellent player on offense, but not better than Curry

Not trying to sidetrack topic, but the NBA needs to seriously look at offensive players initiating contact whilst shooting and not award free throws. It's an absolute blight on the game
Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team
CodeBreaker
Lead Assistant

Post#33 » by CodeBreaker » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:37 am

Vladimir777 wrote:

So whoever is on the better team is automatically the better player?

I’m not saying 16 Curry is or isn’t better than what Harden could be this season, but I just strongly disagree with that logic.

Not necessarily. It just shows that Curry's value is significantly higher than Harden
CodeBreaker
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by CodeBreaker » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:38 am

PistolPeteJR wrote:

No. But Curry holds more value to that team than Harden now
thekdog34
Starter

Post#35 » by thekdog34 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:28 am

PistolPeteJR wrote:

How high do you rank klay and Draymond? Are they better than Chris Paul last year? I say no.

Put another way, how many games do they win without curry?
HeartBreakKid
RealGM

Post#36 » by HeartBreakKid » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:27 am

thekdog34 wrote:
PistolPeteJR wrote:

How high do you rank klay and Draymond? Are they better than Chris Paul last year? I say no.

Chris Paul played only 55 games last season, and also you are comparing 2 players to 1.

If the Rockets had the same health as the Warriors they would likely have a more comparable record and SRS (not that it matters, because after a certain point RS and SRS becomes arbitrary. I think it is actually kinda obvious the 2018 Rockets would beat the 2016 Warriors).

Better record does not equate to better team.

Like, the argument that Curry is better than Harden because Harden isn't going to win 70+ games makes no sense. What is the value of a 70+ game win season? It literally doesn't accomplish anything differently than a 65 win season. Scarcity of a feat is not the same thing as goodness (ie, Westbrook's triple doubles doesn't mean he's the best player in the league), the RS has never meant that much - case in point by how the Warriors didn't win the title, and almost did not go to the finals either.

It just seems strange, Curry anchored a 10 SRS team but Harden "only" anchored an 8 SRS team that was less healthy, and somehow this is logic for why Curry is better? Curry has much better arguments than that...at least I would hope.
thekdog34
Starter

Post#37 » by thekdog34 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:38 am

HeartBreakKid wrote:
thekdog34 wrote:
PistolPeteJR wrote:

Chris Paul played only 55 games last season, and also you are comparing 2 players to 1.

If the Rockets had the same health as the Warriors they would likely have a more comparable record and SRS (not that it matters, because after a certain point RS and SRS becomes arbitrary. I think it is actually kinda obvious the 2018 Rockets would beat the 2016 Warriors).

Like, the argument that Curry is better than Harden because Harden isn't going to win 70+ games makes no sense. What is the value of a 70+ game win season? It literally doesn't accomplish anything differently than a 65 win season. Scarcity of a feat is not the same thing as goodness (ie, Westbrook's triple doubles doesn't mean he's the best player in the league), the RS has never meant that much - case in point by how the Warriors didn't win the title, and almost did not go to the finals either.

It just seems strange, Curry anchored a 10 SRS team but Harden "only" anchored an 8 SRS team that was less healthy, and somehow this is logic for why Curry is better? Curry has much better arguments than that...at least I would hope.

The question is whether Curry's supporting cast was that strong that they should have been so utterly dominant, or was it because he was so good.

People downplaying Curry now have to say klay and Draymond are truly great. Otherwise how were the pre-durant warriors so good?

Even with Paul healthy last year (and healthy Paul is better than either Klay or Draymond), and with one of the best defenses in the league plus a great bench, the rockets really didn't reach that level, although they came surprisingly close to beating them in the WCF.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,205

Post#38 » by clyde21 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:41 am

HeartBreakKid wrote:
thekdog34 wrote:
PistolPeteJR wrote:

the point is that Curry unlocks a lot more for a team than Harden. Even when Harden had CP3 taking playmaking duties last season, Harden's assisted shots rate was obscenely low. He's almost completely irrelevant as an off-ball player.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM

Post#39 » by HeartBreakKid » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:52 am

thekdog34 wrote:
The question is whether Curry's supporting cast was that strong that they should have been so utterly dominant, or was it because he was so good.
I'd say it's pretty much a resounding yes.

A superstar + 2 all-stars+ 1 All defense big + the best bench player in the league (by a decent amount)+ a starting caliber SF + 10 players deep in the bench + no injuries = pretty stellar season. I mean to make it seem like Curry could do that but no other superstar could - then well, prove it. What other team had that make up?

Think about it - take the 1986 Boston Celtics. They have a superstar, 2 all-stars, a deep bench - they're considered one of the most stacked teams all time. They "only" won 67 games - so they were 3 games removed from the arbitrary number of 70. Yet they don't even fit that criteria because Kevin McHale was hurt that season - if McHale played 10 games more, would his presence help them win 3 more games - ...probably. That's how cut throat that measure is, but if we just use the confirmation bias argument then the real reason why the Warriors won 73 games and the 86 Celtics "only" won 67 games is because Curry is so much more dominant than Larry Bird.

Now, you could make other arguments why Curry was better than Bird in the RS. But I have never been convinced that superstars are that much better than other superstars - teams win, not superstars.

People downplaying Curry now have to say klay and Draymond are really, really good. Otherwise how were the pre-durant warriors so good?
Klay Thompson and Draymond Green are really really good - how is this even a question? I know it is fashionable to beat on them because they're not the bees knees this season, but if you asked this 2 years ago people would scratch their heads.

Even with Paul healthy last year (and healthy Paul is better than either Klay or Draymond), and with one of the best defenses in the league plus a great bench, the rockets really didn't reach that level, although they came surprisingly close to beating them in the WCF.
You said they never reached that level when they pretty clearly did otherwise they wouldn't have had the success that they had. The Rockets success are comparable to the Warriors success, not sure how people are not seeing this. Also, the Durant era Warriors would beat the Curry era Warriors in a series (this is pretty self evident by what we have seen in the post season), so the Rockets nearly beating the Durant era Rockets is even further proof that they certainly "played" up to the 16 Warriors.

You are also ignoring they lost Mbouh Moute. Everyone knows CP3 is better than Draymond Green - but the Warriors have Draymond Green AND Klay Thompson, and also an army of good players after them. The Rockets were deep also, but not 10 people deep(and deepness is important for RS wins) - there is a reason why people thought the Rockets were not a real threat to the 2018 Warriors until deep in the playoffs even though that proved to be a gross underestimation of their abilities.

The Houston Rockets and 16 GSW have almost the same ORTG with CP3 missing 1/3rd of the season. The main advantage the 16 Warriors have over the Rockets was defense (104 DRTG to 106 DRTG), and the defensive gap between Curry and Harden isn't enough to cause 2 points of a teams defensive DRTG. Explain that.

Again - I am not saying Harden is better than Curry. But I am challenging this notion that Curry is better than Harden because he made the 16 Warriors better than the 18 Rockets because it doesn't seem like to me they were better at all. The argument the 16 Warriors have over the 18 Rockets seems very surface leveled. If the 18 Rockets had comparable health to the 16 Warriors there would be basically no difference between them other than the Rockets would have higher ORTG but lower DRTG and the Rockets might have a title.
thekdog34
Starter

Post#40 » by thekdog34 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:11 am

HeartBreakKid wrote:
thekdog34 wrote:
I'd say it's pretty much a resounding yes.

A superstar + 2 all-stars+ 1 All defense big + the best bench player in the league (by a decent amount)+ a starting caliber SF + 10 players deep in the bench + no injuries = pretty stellar season. I mean to make it seem like Curry could do that but no other superstar could - then well, prove it. What other team had that make up?

Think about it - take the 1986 Boston Celtics. They have a superstar, 2 all-stars, a deep bench - they're considered one of the most stacked teams all time. They "only" won 67 games - so they were 3 games removed from the arbitrary number of 70. Yet they don't even fit that criteria because Kevin McHale was hurt that season - if McHale played 10 games more, would his presence help them win 3 more games - ...probably. That's how cut throat that measure is, but if we just use the confirmation bias argument then the real reason why the Warriors won 73 games and the 86 Celtics "only" won 67 games is because Curry is so much more dominant than Larry Bird.

Now, you could make other arguments why Curry was better than Bird in the RS. But I have never been convinced that superstars are that much better than other superstars - teams win, not superstars.

People downplaying Curry now have to say klay and Draymond are really, really good. Otherwise how were the pre-durant warriors so good?
Klay Thompson and Draymond Green are really really good - how is this even a question? I know it is fashionable to beat on them because they're not the bees knees this season, but if you asked this 2 years ago people would scratch their heads.

You said they never reached that level when they pretty clearly did otherwise they wouldn't have had the success that they had. The Rockets success are comparable to the Warriors success, not sure how people are not seeing this. Also, the Durant era Warriors would beat the Curry era Warriors in a series (this is pretty self evident by what we have seen in the post season), so the Rockets nearly beating the Durant era Rockets is even further proof that they certainly "played" up to the 16 Warriors.

You are also ignoring they lost Mbouh Moute. Everyone knows CP3 is better than Draymond Green - but the Warriors have Draymond Green AND Klay Thompson, and also an army of good players after them. The Rockets were deep also, but not 10 people deep(and deepness is important for RS wins) - there is a reason why people thought the Rockets were not a real threat to the 2018 Warriors until deep in the playoffs even though that proved to be a gross underestimation of their abilities.

The Houston Rockets and 16 GSW have almost the same ORTG with CP3 missing 1/3rd of the season. The main advantage the 16 Warriors have over the Rockets was defense (104 DRTG to 106 DRTG), and the defensive gap between Curry and Harden isn't enough to cause 2 points of a teams defensive DRTG. Explain that.

Again - I am not saying Harden is better than Curry. But I am challenging this notion that Curry is better than Harden because he made the 16 Warriors better than the 18 Rockets because it doesn't seem like to me they were better at all. The argument the 16 Warriors have over the 18 Rockets seems very surface leveled. If the 18 Rockets had comparable health to the 16 Warriors there would be basically no difference between them other than the Rockets would have higher ORTG but lower DRTG and the Rockets might have a title.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying curry is better than bird. I agree with you that Curry is a superstar and Klay plus Draymond are very good. Where I get confused is people arguing that one or two of them is overrated. Wouldnt they implicitly be saying the 3rd guy is grossly underrated in that scenario?

But I don't think the rockets really reached the warriors level who were a 10+ srs team. And even if they were, couldn't there be just as much an argument for Chris Paul being the better player? Harden never raised a team to that level before. And the team collapsed without him in the playoffs (though held up without either him or harden in the RS). And I do think hardens defense is that bad.

Return to Player Comparisons