AND WITH THE SECOND PICK OF THE 2019 NFL DRAFT

Moderators: MHSL82, CalamityX12

Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 226

Re: AND WITH THE SECOND PICK OF THE 2019 NFL DRAFT 

Post#181 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:10 am

Ray_Dogg wrote:
wco81 wrote:No but can he get 8 sacks a year after a couple of years?

Put it this way. We have three set starters on defense next season. So adding a guy at any position on defense is fine. It’s who is worth the #2 pick. You don’t want to reach for a guy at that spot. Unfortunately I don’t see a trade down scenario for us. I think we might be stuck picking at 2.

I love Q and Simmons at DT. Only one of those guys is worth the #2. The other pass rushers after Bosa aren’t worth the #2 imo. I don’t agree with Barrows that Q is a bad fit in our D next to Buckner. I think that is bull. Q is an all around DT. He excels in every facet. If you double one of those two that is gonna free up the other one most likely unless you double both with a RB. You don’t need to take Q out for a big body run stuffing DT. He excels at defending the run.

Free agency is going to have multiple options at defensive end. We could and should get two there. I’d do that and take Q at 2. Then see what pass rushers make it to the second round to develop behind the vets.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2019-nfl-mock-draft-giants-land-kyler-murray-steelers-replace-antonio-brown-jaguars-redskins-trade-up-for-qb/amp/

As for me if we don’t get either Bosa or Q at #2, i’d love to trade down and draft Oliver at #6. Move back up to draft Byron Murphy in the mid/late first round. Murphy is my second favorite corner in this class, and I think he’s going to be a stud in the league. Or Ed Oliver and Devin White combo would also work.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,314

Post#182 » by wco81 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:55 am

Too bad it's the Raiders who have 3 first round picks.

I think if it was any other team, there could be a potential to make a trade.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#183 » by NinerSickness » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:50 pm

wco81 wrote:Too bad it's the Raiders who have 3 first round picks.

With Mayock in charge now, would things be different?
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#184 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:50 pm

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,314

Post#185 » by wco81 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:37 pm

NinerSickness wrote:

Not if Mayock wants to stay on the good side of the boss.

Not Gruden but Davis.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#186 » by NinerSickness » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:38 pm

wco81 wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:

Not if Mayock wants to stay on the good side of the boss.

Not Gruden but Davis.

How many years is his contract? If it's 3 or more, he has carte blanche to do whatever he wants because Davis isn't gonna fire him after 1 year (unless his picks all bust immediately or something). And if he does well, Davis will have no choice but to keep him.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Re: AND WITH THE THIRD PICK OF THE 2019 NFL DRAFT 

Post#187 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:23 am

CalamityX12 wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
Ray_Dogg wrote:

He hasn’t won me over yet. He looks too much like an OLB to me. No pass rush repertoire. Hands aren’t there yet either. He gets locked up and stoned by college TEs.

I saw the video of Allen's three sacks because such a big deal is being made of it. But in each case he went untouched. NFL lineman are not going to miss him like that. At least Kyle will get a good look at him at the Senior Bowl

first sack was a blown assignment
second sack was weak hold up by the guard but Allen threw a little stunt in there
third sack is what I want, he shot off the edge, beat his man.

1.)

Read on Twitter
?s=20

2.)
Read on Twitter
?s=20

3.)
Read on Twitter
?s=20

4.)
Read on Twitter
?s=20
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 961

Post#188 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:04 pm

I don't see all that much refinement in Allen, though I haven't seen a ton of him. He's got a good, but not elite speed rush. I don't see a lot of counters, etc. He seems to win with his natural ability and benefit a bit from blown assignments because of how he's used in the defense. That's a bit of a mixed bag, because it makes you wonder what he could be if/when he gets that refinement. But the question is whether he will ever get it. And if he doesn't, can he hold up as a pass rusher against superior athletes? I'm certainly not saying he'll be a bust, but he doesn't scream top-3 pick to me.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 265

Post#189 » by Ray_Dogg » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:28 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:I don't see all that much refinement in Allen, though I haven't seen a ton of him. He's got a good, but not elite speed rush. I don't see a lot of counters, etc. He seems to win with his natural ability and benefit a bit from blown assignments because of how he's used in the defense. That's a bit of a mixed bag, because it makes you wonder what he could be if/when he gets that refinement. But the question is whether he will ever get it. And if he doesn't, can he hold up as a pass rusher against superior athletes? I'm certainly not saying he'll be a bust, but he doesn't scream top-3 pick to me.

Yep. Not a lot of hand in the dirt pass rushing snaps to see this season. Mostly lined up out wide in a two point stance. Lots of drops in coverage. Way more LB than DE. I have no idea how he was used the season prior.
ChrisPozz
RealGM
And1: 450

Post#190 » by ChrisPozz » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:53 pm

Ray_Dogg wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:I don't see all that much refinement in Allen, though I haven't seen a ton of him. He's got a good, but not elite speed rush. I don't see a lot of counters, etc. He seems to win with his natural ability and benefit a bit from blown assignments because of how he's used in the defense. That's a bit of a mixed bag, because it makes you wonder what he could be if/when he gets that refinement. But the question is whether he will ever get it. And if he doesn't, can he hold up as a pass rusher against superior athletes? I'm certainly not saying he'll be a bust, but he doesn't scream top-3 pick to me.

Yep. Not a lot of hand in the dirt pass rushing snaps to see this season. Mostly lined up out wide in a two point stance. Lots of drops in coverage. Way more LB than DE. I have no idea how he was used the season prior.

Had even fewer the year before.

258 pass-rushing attempts this season which was 160th most pass-rushing attempts in the nation. 57 total pressures which was 10th most in the nation. Pressure on 22% of his pass-rushing attempts.

Last two years lots of experience dropping into coverage and has graded out well both seasons there.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#191 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:06 pm

At this early stage, I could live with Allen. Worst case he'd probably make a good SLB, and he could make a really good Leo. I just don't see him ending up as my top choice at #2. We'll see.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#192 » by NinerSickness » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:26 am

Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#193 » by Ray_Dogg » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:34 am

NinerSickness wrote:Image

Looking forward to seeing Nelson during the Senior Bowl
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#194 » by CalamityX12 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:58 pm

My preference is Bosa over Allen but if Bosa is gone, Allen is the guy IMO.
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#195 » by NinerSickness » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:32 am

CalamityX12 wrote:My preference is Bosa over Allen but if Bosa is gone, Allen is the guy IMO.

At 2? Over Q?
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#196 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:53 pm

Webzone has a pretty solid review of Allen. These can be pretty hit or miss depending upon the author, but I think this one makes sound points (possibly because his points align with my own thoughts).

https://www.49erswebzone.com/commentary/2007-josh-allen-worthwhile-risk-second-overall-pick/
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#197 » by CalamityX12 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:26 pm

NinerSickness wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:My preference is Bosa over Allen but if Bosa is gone, Allen is the guy IMO.

At 2? Over Q?

Picking Allen over Q isn't meant to dismiss how good Q can be.

For me, i wouldn't cry foul if we draft Q necessarily however drafting a talented DT does not solve our pass rushing woes from the edge.
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#198 » by NinerSickness » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:29 pm

CalamityX12 wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:

At 2? Over Q?

For me, i wouldn't cry foul if we draft Q necessarily however drafting a talented DT does not solve our pass rushing woes from the edge.

You can't try to solve every problem in one draft. You pick the best player; reaching for a position is how you end up passing on Julius Peppers for David Carr. And passing on Q for Allen would go down as one of the biggest mistakes in the history of the draft. You don't draft a good DE over the best DT in 5 years (by far).

Trying to solve every personnel issue in one offseason is how you become the Redskins. You have to be patient and treat 2019 like the rebuilding year it is. Get the best players, possibly get a DE in FA and keep building for next season. Then start signing FAs and / or making trades when the window is open.

...But I have a feeling the Cards will draft Q anyway, making this a moot point.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#199 » by Ray_Dogg » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:38 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Webzone has a pretty solid review of Allen. These can be pretty hit or miss depending upon the author, but I think this one makes sound points (possibly because his points align with my own thoughts).

https://www.49erswebzone.com/commentary/2007-josh-allen-worthwhile-risk-second-overall-pick/

Yep. What we have been saying. If he was a more polished traditional pass rusher then I'd be totally fine taking him at 2. He had a chance to show that this week and passed. He thinks he's worthy of the #1 pick in the draft so it will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#200 » by Ray_Dogg » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:42 pm

NinerSickness wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:
At 2? Over Q?

You can't try to solve every problem in one draft. You pick the best player; reaching for a position is how you end up passing on Julius Peppers for David Carr. And passing on Q for Allen would go down as one of the biggest mistakes in the history of the draft. You don't draft a good DE over the best DT in 5 years (by far).

Trying to solve every personnel issue in one offseason is how you become the Redskins. You have to be patient and treat 2019 like the rebuilding year it is. Get the best players, possibly get a DE in FA and keep building for next season. Then start signing FAs and / or making trades when the window is open.

...But I have a feeling the Cards will draft Q anyway, making this a moot point.

The depth at pass rusher in free agency and the second round plays a factor in me wanting Q at 2. I see two dominant DTs and then a major drop off in the draft. There is a ton of pass rushers imo. I think some make it to our second round pick. I also think it is certain that we sign Ansah. I just hope they draft a pass rusher as well. Going WR in round 2 will make me sick.

Return to San Francisco 49ers