Moderator: JaysRule15

Ado05
RealGM
And1: 5,929

Halladay will NOT go into the Hall Of Fame as a Blue Jay 

Post#1 » by Ado05 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:31 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Not going to lie, this kind of sucks. But if its her wishes, then the HOF shouldn't say no.
sule
RealGM
And1: 34,205

Re: Halladay will NOT go into the Hall Of Fame as a Blue Jay 

Post#2 » by sule » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:03 pm

HoF could overrule the decision if they don't want to set precedent. From the wiki list of players in the HoF, every single one is attached to a team. I can see them putting Roy in as a Jay just so future players don't request the same.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,046

Post#3 » by Schad » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:12 pm

sule wrote:HoF could overrule the decision if they don't want to set precedent. From the wiki list of players in the HoF, every single one is attached to a team. I can see them putting Roy in as a Jay just so future players don't request the same.

There are at least two that don't have team hats: Catfish Hunter and Greg Maddux. If a player (or their family, in this case) who had multiple stops feels that the blank hat better represents their career arc than picking one team that seems okay by me. Definitely better than having the league arbitrarily pick a team for them.
**** your asterisk.
vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Post#4 » by vaff87 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:09 am

This is odd. Guy clearly said he wanted to go in as a Blue Jay.
al3x1980
Junior
And1: 240

Post#5 » by al3x1980 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:43 am

Wow brutal this is probably against his wishes 12 years as a Jay vs. 4 as a Philly... He even retired as a blue jay...

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,461
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#6 » by SharoneWright » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:36 am

Just a bad decision. Brandy needed some better guidance here. This is a cop out dressed up as egalitarianism.
Based both on logic and on Roy's own wishes, he goes in as a Jay.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/halladay-knew-wanted-remembered-blue-jay/
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Tanner
Veteran
And1: 4,173

Post#7 » by Tanner » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:41 am

Brandy selfishly putting herself over her husband on this one. If Roy wanted a blank hat at the Hall then that’s one thing, but he not only said he wanted to go in as a Jay but he made it a point to retire as a Jay.

Not sure what Brandy’s motives are here. Maybe it’s just sincere ignorance on her part but she’s wrong here either way. Don’t make a decision that contradicts your husband’s wishes.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,064

Post#8 » by Randle McMurphy » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:45 am

Now maybe if he was “going in” as a Phillie there might be some reason to be bothered, but I can’t think of one good reason to actually care about this.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Schad » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:49 am

SharoneWright wrote:Just a bad decision. Brandy needed some better guidance here. This is a cop out dressed up as egalitarianism.
Based both on logic and on Roy's own wishes, he goes in as a Jay.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/halladay-knew-wanted-remembered-blue-jay/

I mean, sure. At the same time, I'm not sure that I'm going to tell the young widow that she's memorializing her husband in the wrong way. Roy was a Jay. Roy's in the Hall of Fame. Those are the important bits.

(Besides, if they chose the Jays hat in which Roy did his best work, it'd be that awful stylized letter J/angry bird, and we really shouldn't be reminding the world that we did that)
**** your asterisk.
rapstarter
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,144

Post#10 » by rapstarter » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:50 am

But after Halladay died tragically in a one-person, light-plane crash in November of 2017, it was the Phillies that took charge of the memorial and ceremonies, hosting a celebration of life co-hosted by the Jays but staged at their spring training ballpark in Clearwater. Brandy Halladay was touched.

That gracious gesture in leading the final tribute certainly will carry weight with the family. The decision of which hat to wear into the hall is always a combined decision of hall and player. That decision will come soon.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/bluejays/opinion/2019/01/22/roy-halladay-built-a-hall-of-fame-career-while-building-with-the-blue-jays.html

Disappointing, but if this is what the family wants, understandable.
SharoneWright
RealGM

Post#11 » by SharoneWright » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:09 am

Schad wrote:(Besides, if they chose the Jays hat in which Roy did his best work, it'd be that awful stylized letter J/angry bird, and we really shouldn't be reminding the world that we did that)

I was going to make this quip. Which of these Jays' hats should live for eternity?? Blank might actually be best!

But just to be clear ---- the cap does actually add meaning. It conveys identity, allegiance, the desire to win for your team, and adds "story" to who you are/were. The average kid walking through the HOF in 50 years will glaze right over some guy wearing a generic cap whose wife decided to sanitize his history and remember him only as "a baseball player". Well, he was more than that. He was a Toronto Blue Jay baseball player. The community connected with him, loved him, and still celebrates him. And it was mutual.
BigLeagueChew
RealGM
And1: 4,088

Post#12 » by BigLeagueChew » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:36 am

Powder blues we're probably my favorite around that time with the traditional Jays hat.
SharoneWright
RealGM

Post#13 » by SharoneWright » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:01 am

From the Raps board:
sule wrote:
Lucky 24 wrote:Some insights about why this decision from the family from the Toronto Star

But after Halladay died tragically in a one-person, light-plane crash in November of 2017, it was the Phillies that took charge of the memorial and ceremonies, hosting a celebration of life co-hosted by the Jays but staged at their spring training ballpark in Clearwater. Brandy Halladay was touched.

"That gracious gesture in leading the final tribute certainly will carry weight with the family. The decision of which hat to wear into the hall is always a combined decision of hall and player. That decision will come soon"

This article was posted yesterday before the news came out today. Looks like another reason to hate Shapiro and Atkins for not leading the charge on the honouring of Roy.

This may have also been a contributing factor (from last year)

This off season he wanted to work with Blue Jays minor leaguers. He applied -- yes Roy Halladay was made to apply for a job with the Blue Jays -- with the high performance committee.

And then the decision whether to hire him was kicked upstairs.

The Jays did not hire him. Instead, he was re-hired by the Phillies to work with their young pitchers.

https://www.canadianbaseballnetwork.com/canadian-baseball-network-articles/elliott-r-i-p-roy-halladay?format=amp

:jawdrop: That's pretty egregious.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Schad » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:08 am

SharoneWright wrote:But just to be clear ---- the cap does actually add meaning. It conveys identity, allegiance, the desire to win for your team, and adds "story" to who you are/were. The average kid walking through the HOF in 50 years will glaze right over some guy wearing a generic cap whose wife decided to sanitize his history and remember him only as "a baseball player". Well, he was more than that. He was a Toronto Blue Jay baseball player. The community connected with him, loved him, and still celebrates him. And it was mutual.

If it helps, the logos (especially the more complicated ones, like ours, because you have no contrasting colours to work with) aren't exceptionally pronounced, because that **** has got to be incredibly difficult to carve in bronze. On the bright side, it'll have a bunch of text that describes his time with the Jays.

Take a look at Alomar's:

https://baseballhall.org/hall-of-famers/alomar-roberto

And if it was the "more aggressive" Jays logo, which would make sense given that he wore it the longest...how many kids are going to even recognize that in 50 years? None kids. None kids will recognize it. I'm not sure most people would recognize that logo if carved in bronze today.
**** your asterisk.
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,749

Post#15 » by spykelee » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:31 am

I'm disappointed by this. I don't really care one way or another, like, it doesn't effect my life, but our first drafted and developed home grown HOF'er who spent 3/4 of his career with us should go in as a jay. Im hard pressed to believe he would have preferred anything otherwise.

Sent from my LG-H873 using RealGM mobile app
edgehead411
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,142

Post#16 » by edgehead411 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:59 pm

Regardless of what the plaque says, his career narrative will always show Toronto as where he made the biggest impact.
PM me if interested in writing about the Toronto Raptors!
Bank Shot
RealGM
And1: 10,217

Post#17 » by Bank Shot » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:28 pm

Not that it means anything in regards to what ends up on the plaque, but the Hall's website lists Doc's primary team as Jays (does the same for Maddux with the Braves) so whenever someone looks up Jays Hall of Famers, he'll pop up.
JaysRule15
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 119,974

Post#18 » by JaysRule15 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:08 pm

Very disappointing. There is a reason Doc signed a one-day contract to retire with Toronto when he could've just retired as a Philly. He said himself many times that he always saw himself as a Blue Jay.

Just because his family felt closer to Philly than with Toronto, doesn't mean that they should've overruled Roy's wishes like this. If anything, Roy's legacy could've been greater in Canada down the line if he was a Blue Jays HOFer.

It's all the more disappointing because this was going to be our first home-grown Hall of Fame player. Someone who came up and dominated the league with us for years. Alomar is a Blue Jays HOFer, but he was already an all-star when we acquired him. Not to mention that he only played 5 seasons for us. Doc was with this team for 12 seasons. For his family to say that those 12 years equal the 4 years he spent in Philly, it just feels unfair. But it's their decision at the end of the day.

RIP Doc, and congrats on making it to the Hall.

Edit: Philly media lol

LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,174

Post#19 » by LLJ » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:26 pm

Return to Toronto Blue Jays