I worry that the Pacers will sell out and keep everybody this summer

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Re: I worry that the Pacers will sell out and keep everybody this summer 

Post#81 » by Wizop » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:21 pm

Pacers_Freak wrote:I'm with you on being creative. But in a 1-2-2 zone those guys are going to be responsible for covering the corner 3 which kind of puts us back to where we are. In the 1-3-1 one of them is going to have to either be on the wing or the one running the baseline. Not sure those are valid options.

I've written before that I think we need to practice a zone defense if only to give our own players practice time running an offense against a zone. still, I expect what we will do will be more in the Vogel, smash-mouth mode, where we play big, dominate on offense, and try to force the opponent to match up. we have been playing them together almost every game, just not in the opening minutes.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,713

Post#82 » by Pacers_Freak » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:26 pm

Wizop wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:I'm with you on being creative. But in a 1-2-2 zone those guys are going to be responsible for covering the corner 3 which kind of puts us back to where we are. In the 1-3-1 one of them is going to have to either be on the wing or the one running the baseline. Not sure those are valid options.

I've written before that I think we need to practice a zone defense if only to give our own players practice time running an offense against a zone. still, I expect what we will do will be more in the Vogel, smash-mouth mode, where we play big, dominate on offense, and try to force the opponent to match up. we have been playing them together almost every game, just not in the opening minutes.

I'm with you on a little 2-3 action.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,254

Post#83 » by wco81 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:21 am

Are they going to re-sign Young though?

Pacers have a lot of UFAs after this season, though maybe the only ones they'd consider retaining would be Young, Bogdanovic, Joseph and Collison?
Wizop
RealGM

Post#84 » by Wizop » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:20 am

wco81 wrote:Are they going to re-sign Young though?

Pacers have a lot of UFAs after this season, though maybe the only ones they'd consider retaining would be Young, Bogdanovic, Joseph and Collison?
Young is a captain. his value in the locker room alone brings him back.

Evans will determine his fate now.

Sent from my phone.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#85 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:00 am

It's going to be a tough negotiation, and maybe a bit contentious. It's his last big NBA deal, so he'll want to maximize it. But, he's a great glue guy, and plays really well with either of Myles or Dom. He's also the locker room leader. And his defense is invaluable, too.

wco81 wrote:Pacers have a lot of UFAs after this season, though maybe the only ones they'd consider retaining would be Young, Bogdanovic, Joseph and Collison?

We as fans are operating under the assumption that we'll only look to re-sign one of Joseph and Collison. Holiday looks like he could develop into a real keeper, maybe even a key contributor. We also are assuming that Bogdanovic is going to get a big offer elsewhere we may not be willing to match. He's a bit older than the rest of the core, and I think we'll only stretch with either of Thad or Bogs, and it may be Thad due to his leadership and chemistry.

But yeah, lots of balls in the air this summer.
Vorda
Senior
And1: 131

Post#86 » by Vorda » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:49 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:

It's going to be a tough negotiation, and maybe a bit contentious. It's his last big NBA deal, so he'll want to maximize it. But, he's a great glue guy, and plays really well with either of Myles or Dom. He's also the locker room leader. And his defense is invaluable, too.

wco81 wrote:Pacers have a lot of UFAs after this season, though maybe the only ones they'd consider retaining would be Young, Bogdanovic, Joseph and Collison?

We as fans are operating under the assumption that we'll only look to re-sign one of Joseph and Collison. Holiday looks like he could develop into a real keeper, maybe even a key contributor. We also are assuming that Bogdanovic is going to get a big offer elsewhere we may not be willing to match. He's a bit older than the rest of the core, and I think we'll only stretch with either of Thad or Bogs, and it may be Thad due to his leadership and chemistry.

Collison and Thad are older than Bojan? And I dont know why would we resign 33 year old defensive hole when we have chance to find better and younger PG in free agency...
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#87 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:23 pm

Vorda wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Collison and Thad are older than Bojan? And I dont know why would we resign 33 year old defensive hole when we have chance to find better and younger PG in free agency...

I didn’t say we were re signing Collison. But if you want us to re sign Bogey, we likely won’t be able to hit free agency for a new PG. that cap space comes from somewhere. And if Collison came back affordable as the bench piece and Holiday progressed to the starter? It’s possible.

And again, we can’t force Bogey to re sign here. It’s free agency. He gets to pick.
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#88 » by winter_mute_13 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:13 pm

As others have said, I think Pacers will try hard to re-sign Young. It might look a bit odd to outsiders because of the potential frontcourt logjam, but he has really been important to the team both on court and off court. I think Thad will end up with a sizeable contract.

Bojan is probably next in priority. Ideally, the Pacers would go after a big name wing, like Klay or Butler or Middleton, but the Pacers have never been big FA players so signing a guy like that seems unlikely. The next level of FA wings would feature guys like Ariza or Gay... and I'm not sure Bojan is worse than those guys. So it's possible that Bojan might be the best SF that the Pacers could realistically sign.

Then the guards. It's really a fluid situation, especially with Dipo's injury. Pre-injury, I wouldn't have expected Tyreke back, DC is iffy, and CoJo only if he's happy with a bench role and contract. Now obviously, everything can change. What's more, there's a lot of guard depth in the league, so there are potentially options in FA or trades. So the guards are toughest to predict, I think.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#89 » by pacers33granger » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:19 pm

winter_mute_13 wrote:As others have said, I think Pacers will try hard to re-sign Young. It might look a bit odd to outsiders because of the potential frontcourt logjam, but he has really been important to the team both on court and off court. I think Thad will end up with a sizeable contract.

I think most will be surprised with how much he gets. I've seen numbers thrown around for Thad here that seem super low to me. We'll reward him with a new deal for how well he's played, but as you said, how much of a leader he has been. I will not be shocked if we end up giving him a 2/40 (basically his cap hold anyways) deal or something similar with the understanding that he'll be shifting to a bench role in the second year and go from there.

If we give him a deal like that (or again, just keep his cap hold), we basically have to renounce all of Bogie, DC, Cory, Tyreke, and KOQ to get enough space to get a decent free agent, and that's still quite not enough to offer Kemba a max I believe.

So it seems the smart move, contrary to the whole idea behind this thread, will be to run it back, see how Vic comes back, and have short deals for our free agents that we can use to make a move if need be.
HurricaneDij25
Junior
And1: 276

Post#90 » by HurricaneDij25 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:07 am

Pacers_Freak wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
HurricaneDij25 wrote:
If you were going to sign a Top FA at PG or SF, who would it be? Difficult to picture Middleton going anywhere given his comfort level in Milwaukee. Kemba costs too much and even though I like him as a player, I'm just not sure I like him for this team. The one guy at those positions that makes remote sense is Bledsoe, and you couldn't stop bashing him.

I knew all along that Vic was bound to get hurt without a true second scorer. We got blown out by the Philadelphia 76ers at home last week. Obviously I hate Philly with a passion, but they probably beat us in a seven-game series even with Vic.

To me, Harris was the guy to fill our scoring needs. A frontcourt player so be it, for it adds to our strength. One guy was bound to come off the bench anyway, and I fail to see that as a bad thing. Worst thing that could happen is that one of them becomes an intriguing trade chip after year one.

What the hell man. You don’t ever have to use discriminatory language. Ever.

And also, get the hell off your high horse. You KNEW Vic was gonna rupture his patellar quad while slipping on a wet spot while rushing back on defense and playing all out all the time because we dont have a “true second scorer”. Nah. Bull. Get outta here with that. Trading away Myles so we can max out Eric Bledsoe wouldn’t have changed this.

Hurricane I know you don't like me but after knowing that would happen do you mind sharing the powerball numbers for the upcoming draw? I'll give you half!

My obscene language was made in regards to the 76ers, not you as a poster.

I have no issues with you and I'll drop it now. I just didn't appreciate last fall being referenced in a thread I had yet to post in, considering I don't post a great deal on RealGm as it is.
HurricaneDij25
Junior

Post#91 » by HurricaneDij25 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:15 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
HurricaneDij25 wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:
I like Harris he is a fine player. I've got no problems with him. If we are going to spend money in free agency I prefer it be at PG or SF. We have bigs with a bright future and once Sabonis gets paid would have too much money tied up in the 4-5 position.

If you were going to sign a Top FA at PG or SF, who would it be? Difficult to picture Middleton going anywhere given his comfort level in Milwaukee. Kemba costs too much and even though I like him as a player, I'm just not sure I like him for this team. The one guy at those positions that makes remote sense is Bledsoe, and you couldn't stop bashing him.

I knew all along that Vic was bound to get hurt without a true second scorer. We got blown out by the Philadelphia 76ers at home last week. Obviously I hate Philly with a passion, but they probably beat us in a seven-game series even with Vic.

To me, Harris was the guy to fill our scoring needs. A frontcourt player so be it, for it adds to our strength. One guy was bound to come off the bench anyway, and I fail to see that as a bad thing. Worst thing that could happen is that one of them becomes an intriguing trade chip after year one.

And also, get the hell off your high horse. You KNEW Vic was gonna rupture his patellar quad while slipping on a wet spot while rushing back on defense and playing all out all the time because we dont have a “true second scorer”. Nah. Bull. Get outta here with that. Trading away Myles so we can max out Eric Bledsoe wouldn’t have changed this.

My theory of Vic getting hurt had nothing to do with Myles, Bledsoe or anyone else. It strictly had to do with the burden he's had to carry for us, especially last year , as perhaps the only true playmaker on the roster.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#92 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:51 am

HurricaneDij25 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
HurricaneDij25 wrote:

My theory of Vic getting hurt had nothing to do with Myles, Bledsoe or anyone else. It strictly had to do with the burden he's had to carry for us, especially last year , as perhaps the only true playmaker on the roster.

If carrying a burden guaranteed injury, Lebron would be missing both legs by now.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran

Post#93 » by Pacers_Freak » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:59 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
HurricaneDij25 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

If carrying a burden guaranteed injury, Lebron would be missing both legs by now.

Harden scored like 300 straight unassisted points.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#94 » by Wizop » Wed Feb 6, 2019 3:54 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Remember, we can plan on signing whomever we want. That doesn't mean that they will reciprocate and sign here too.

I moved this into what I hope you agree is a longer lasting thread.

Yes, we certainly can be out bid. I do think chemistry counts for something though. I don't expect to get big discounts but I think our core players will return if the price is fair.

I like the idea of Holiday and Sumner as the 2nd unit back court next year. I'd bring back DC or CoJo to start alongside Vic and find a 3rd string combo guard somewhere.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran

Post#95 » by Pacers_Freak » Wed Feb 6, 2019 4:26 pm

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:Remember, we can plan on signing whomever we want. That doesn't mean that they will reciprocate and sign here too.

I moved this into what I hope you agree is a longer lasting thread.

Yes, we certainly can be out bid. I do think chemistry counts for something though. I don't expect to get big discounts but I think our core players will return if the price is fair.

I like the idea of Holiday and Sumner as the 2nd unit back court next year. I'd bring back DC or CoJo to start alongside Vic and find a 3rd string combo guard somewhere.

I'm not sold yet. I'm more sold on holiday (because he has played more). Sumner has played well, just want to see more of a body of work before he is penciled in as the backup 2. Maybe he is the 3rd string combo guard and we find a backup 2.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#96 » by Wizop » Wed Feb 6, 2019 4:32 pm

Pacers_Freak wrote:I'm not sold yet. I'm more sold on holiday (because he has played more). Sumner has played well, just want to see more of a body of work before he is penciled in as the backup 2. Maybe he is the 3rd string combo guard and we find a backup 2.

that's fair. Douggie might also be able to play some 2. then Alize might be in the mix at 3.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran

Post#97 » by Pacers_Freak » Wed Feb 6, 2019 4:34 pm

Wizop wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:I'm not sold yet. I'm more sold on holiday (because he has played more). Sumner has played well, just want to see more of a body of work before he is penciled in as the backup 2. Maybe he is the 3rd string combo guard and we find a backup 2.

that's fair. Douggie might also be able to play some 2. then Alize might be in the mix at 3.

Same with Alize on seeing more. Now granted the folks that make these decisions get to see these guys every single day. So.... what I've seen or haven't seen doesn't really mean squat. Lol.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#98 » by Wizop » Wed Feb 6, 2019 4:49 pm

Pacers_Freak wrote:Same with Alize on seeing more. Now granted the folks that make these decisions get to see these guys every single day. So.... what I've seen or haven't seen doesn't really mean squat. Lol.

He's been putting up numbers in the G-League. Sumner did too. Given that Sumner is active and Alize has only seen garbage time minutes, I'd say Sumner is a year ahead of Alize as he should be. I can see Sumner and Holiday on the 2nd unit next year and Alize on the 3rd although Ft Wayne is a definite possibility.
HurricaneDij25
Junior

Post#99 » by HurricaneDij25 » Thu Feb 7, 2019 4:44 am

Pacers_Freak wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
HurricaneDij25 wrote:

Harden scored like 300 straight unassisted points.

Yes, he too is prone to get hurt...And did in fact miss a significant chunk last year
HurricaneDij25
Junior

Post#100 » by HurricaneDij25 » Thu Feb 7, 2019 4:52 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
HurricaneDij25 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Well he's on steroids, so he doesn't count. LOL

Return to Indiana Pacers