Around the NBA: Regular Season Edition

Moderator: G R E Y

Donald Kaufman
General Manager
And1: 601

Re: Around the NBA: Regular Season Edition 

Post#41 » by Donald Kaufman » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:11 pm

Is it that bad though? I thought the Wolves did pretty well, all things considered.

Butler is older than Kawhi, and not quite as good IMO. He wasn't going to demand as much in a trade as Kawhi could.

Plus, look at how loose Minny looked in their first game without Butler. I know it's just one game, but they looked happy. Free.

KAT's numbers took a nosedive as soon as they got Butler. Now he can go back to being compared favorably to AD. Same with Wiggins. He had to take a backstep to Butler. Now he can develop as he was supposed to.
JohnVancouver
General Manager
And1: 236

Post#42 » by JohnVancouver » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:33 pm

Hey San Antonio - just wondering how Quincy P is doing. Good luck this year
"Deng and Mozgov was some 1980s Clippers sh*t. So, so dumb" - Sedale Threatt

"If you can't get banned for threatening to rape a mod, what can you get banned for?" Jigga_Man/2013

"Everybody love Everybody." - Jackie Moon
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,179

Post#43 » by imagump1313 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:47 am

JohnVancouver wrote:Hey San Antonio - just wondering how Quincy P is doing. Good luck this year

He has been minimal at best. Having problems hitting the three and struggling defensively.

He has not gotten much of a chance to get in any rhythm soo far.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#44 » by imagump1313 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:51 am

Donald Kaufman wrote:Is it that bad though? I thought the Wolves did pretty well, all things considered.

Butler is older than Kawhi, and not quite as good IMO. He wasn't going to demand as much in a trade as Kawhi could.

Plus, look at how loose Minny looked in their first game without Butler. I know it's just one game, but they looked happy. Free.

KAT's numbers took a nosedive as soon as they got Butler. Now he can go back to being compared favorably to AD. Same with Wiggins. He had to take a backstep to Butler. Now he can develop as he was supposed to.

Everything you mentioned is because Butler isn't there, not because of Covington or Saric. They are marginal 6th men at best in this league IMO. Guess I'm just not a big fan of either of them.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#45 » by SD2042 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:09 am

Here's a question for Spurs fans. Is there any intent that the Spurs are looking to the trade deadline to make a move to improve any areas of weaknesses?
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#46 » by imagump1313 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:35 am

SD2042 wrote:Here's a question for Spurs fans. Is there any intent that the Spurs are looking to the trade deadline to make a move to improve any areas of weaknesses?

I keep hearing rumors that we are looking at Stanley Johnson. I don't understand why, he really doesn't make us better. Why would we want a wing that can't shoot? Why would anybody?

Giving up Forbes or D. White for him would be silly as both are miles better than Johnson IMO.

Now if you want a conspiracy theory how about us getting Marc Gasol somehow for a one year rental? We would definitely improve at that position and the Gasol family does owe us a favor for that Pau contract :lol:
I dont know if that helps us much because it further slows the development of Poeltl and makes us less athletic defensively. But Marc's offense would certainly be welcome. Also I don't know if I want to resign him to another pricey long term deal.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#47 » by SD2042 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:23 am

imagump1313 wrote:
SD2042 wrote:Here's a question for Spurs fans. Is there any intent that the Spurs are looking to the trade deadline to make a move to improve any areas of weaknesses?

I keep hearing rumors that we are looking at Stanley Johnson. I don't understand why, he really doesn't make us better. Why would we want a wing that can't shoot? Why would anybody?

Giving up Forbes or D. White for him would be silly as both are miles better than Johnson IMO.

Now if you want a conspiracy theory how about us getting Marc Gasol somehow for a one year rental? We would definitely improve at that position and the Gasol family does owe us a favor for that Pau contract :lol:
I dont know if that helps us much because it further slows the development of Poeltl and makes us less athletic defensively. But Marc's offense would certainly be welcome. Also I don't know if I want to resign him to another pricey long term deal.

I've always heard Stanley Johnson's name synonymous with the Spurs for some reason. SJ's defense has been alright by standard measure. However his offense, has been anything but good.

As for Marc Gasol as a Spur, I don't like the package the Spurs are offering for Gasol. Even if it's for a year rental. lol

As for Poethl, how has he been coming along? Because I've had my concerns about him being somewhat reliable for the Spurs for the sake of the future.

As for who to look at at SF. depends on financial obligations and fit

DeAndre Bembry
DeMarre Carroll
T.J. Warren
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#48 » by imagump1313 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:29 am

SD2042 wrote:I've always heard Stanley Johnson's name synonymous with the Spurs for some reason. SJ's defense has been alright by standard measure. However his offense, has been anything but good.

As for Marc Gasol as a Spur, I don't like the package the Spurs are offering for Gasol. Even if it's for a year rental. lol

As for Poethl, how has he been coming along? Because I've had my concerns about him being somewhat reliable for the Spurs for the sake of the future.

DeAndre Bembry
DeMarre Carroll
T.J. Warren

Poeltl has been meh IMO. He shows flashes at times but he is far more invisible than he is noticeable if you ask me. Which is exactly what he was with Toronto. I don't see any improvement but its still early for him here.

I'm not interested in Johnson at all and I really don't want to give any assets for Marc Gasol unless its Pau, Pondexter, Cunningham or Mills and I doubt Memphis wants any of that.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#49 » by SD2042 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:35 pm

imagump1313 wrote:
SD2042 wrote:I've always heard Stanley Johnson's name synonymous with the Spurs for some reason. SJ's defense has been alright by standard measure. However his offense, has been anything but good.

DeAndre Bembry
DeMarre Carroll
T.J. Warren

Poeltl has been meh IMO. He shows flashes at times but he is far more invisible than he is noticeable if you ask me. Which is exactly what he was with Toronto. I don't see any improvement but its still early for him here.

I'm not interested in Johnson at all and I really don't want to give any assets for Marc Gasol unless its Pau, Pondexter, Cunningham or Mills and I doubt Memphis wants any of that.

My thoughts on Poethl is that he fits into the Nesterovic, Mahimni, Oberto, type of catagory. Just another serviceable plug in center for SA to have on their roster. SA hasn't had a true center in nearly two decades going back to D-Rob when he was on top of his game. They have managed so far. However, with LMA getting older and the verdict still out on Poethl, maybe the Spurs should consider looking into drafting a center and work on developing his game for the better of the future.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#50 » by imagump1313 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:45 pm

SD2042 wrote:My thoughts on Poethl is that he fits into the Nesterovic, Mahimni, Oberto, type of catagory. Just another serviceable plug in center for SA to have on their roster. SA hasn't had a true center in nearly two decades going back to D-Rob when he was on top of his game. They have managed so far. However, with LMA getting older and the verdict still out on Poethl, maybe the Spurs should consider looking into drafting a center and work on developing his game for the better of the future.

I agree there. From what I've seen, Poeltl will be a little better when he is comfortable but his ceiling is just a serviceable bench player.
The team seems to be fairly excited about Chimezie Metu. I like his energy but he is very raw.
If I remember right, we have a Euro stash center. But I dont know the status of him. Nikola Mulitinov?

Drew Eubanks is playing pretty well in Austin but I wouldn't hold my breath on him being a good NBA player at this point.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#51 » by SD2042 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:06 am

imagump1313 wrote:
SD2042 wrote:My thoughts on Poethl is that he fits into the Nesterovic, Mahimni, Oberto, type of catagory. Just another serviceable plug in center for SA to have on their roster. SA hasn't had a true center in nearly two decades going back to D-Rob when he was on top of his game. They have managed so far. However, with LMA getting older and the verdict still out on Poethl, maybe the Spurs should consider looking into drafting a center and work on developing his game for the better of the future.

I agree there. From what I've seen, Poeltl will be a little better when he is comfortable but his ceiling is just a serviceable bench player.
The team seems to be fairly excited about Chimezie Metu. I like his energy but he is very raw.
If I remember right, we have a Euro stash center. But I dont know the status of him. Nikola Mulitinov?

Drew Eubanks is playing pretty well in Austin but I wouldn't hold my breath on him being a good NBA player at this point.

I forgot about Mulitinov since he's overseas. Sounds like Metu is showing some promise. Mostly a defense first player. Very raw on offense.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#52 » by imagump1313 » Fri Feb 1, 2019 12:20 am

Well......
If Porzingis stays healthy its going to suck for us the next few years as our main rival is going to be pretty tough.
It remains to be seen if he can stay healthy but I applaud Dallas for going for it.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#53 » by SD2042 » Sat Feb 2, 2019 12:36 am

imagump1313 wrote:Well......
If Porzingis stays healthy its going to suck for us the next few years as our main rival is going to be pretty tough.
It remains to be seen if he can stay healthy but I applaud Dallas for going for it.

After the fiasco with how things when down with Phil Jackson and Melo two years ago. Porzingas soured on the Knicks organization and as expected would likely move on from them. I just wasn't expecting via trade and to the Mavs of all teams.
-Sammy-
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,668

Post#54 » by -Sammy- » Sat Feb 2, 2019 11:32 am

SD2042 wrote:

After the fiasco with how things when down with Phil Jackson and Melo two years ago. Porzingas soured on the Knicks organization and as expected would likely move on from them. I just wasn't expecting via trade and to the Mavs of all teams.

It does sort of seem like Houston is the present and Dallas the future for Texas NBA, doesn't it? We'll see.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#55 » by SD2042 » Sat Feb 2, 2019 8:18 pm

BombsquadSammy wrote:
SD2042 wrote:

It does sort of seem like Houston is the present and Dallas the future for Texas NBA, doesn't it? We'll see.

If Houston is present and Dallas is the future, where do the Spurs stand right now?
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#56 » by imagump1313 » Sat Feb 2, 2019 10:18 pm

BombsquadSammy wrote:
SD2042 wrote:

I'm not big on Porzingis myself because of the injuries. And many people forgot how he was in the media last season before the injury saying how tired he was and that was early in the year. Obviously with a healthy Porzingis Dallas will be formidable but that will also force us to be better which can only be a good thing IMO.

I know I am on an island here but I have never understood the Houston over-hype. They may have won some games the last couple seasons but I have never considered them a title contender at all. The narrative last year that they would have won that series last year if Chris Paul didn't get hurt is laughable IMO. They were NEVER winning that series. Houston is the typical D'Antoni team that generates a ton of stats in the regular season, less than meaningful games which gets people all excited. Then collapse against good teams who know how to defend.

I would say if Houston is the present and Dallas is the future, then San Antonio is the constant.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#57 » by SD2042 » Sun Feb 3, 2019 1:38 am

imagump1313 wrote:
BombsquadSammy wrote:
SD2042 wrote:

I'm not big on Porzingis myself because of the injuries. And many people forgot how he was in the media last season before the injury saying how tired he was and that was early in the year. Obviously with a healthy Porzingis Dallas will be formidable but that will also force us to be better which can only be a good thing IMO.

I know I am on an island here but I have never understood the Houston over-hype. They may have won some games the last couple seasons but I have never considered them a title contender at all. The narrative last year that they would have won that series last year if Chris Paul didn't get hurt is laughable IMO. They were NEVER winning that series. Houston is the typical D'Antoni team that generates a ton of stats in the regular season, less than meaningful games which gets people all excited. Then collapse against good teams who know how to defend.

I would say if Houston is the present and Dallas is the future, then San Antonio is the constant.

D'Antoni led teams I dub them entertainment teams. Instant offense and no defense like you said. Crowds luv it as it's high octane system is intriguing and ratings driven. Regardless if James Harden is on the team or not, they will never win the big one at all.

I was a Zingas skeptic before he was drafted, because I wasn't so sure he would have what it takes to conform to the NBA side of things. In spite of his injuries, he has prove me wrong in some instances. I'm curious to how well will he and Doncic will make it work for the Mavs next season. Depending on Zingas health of course.

Speaking of the Spurs, do you see them making a move or waiting until the off season to do their business then?
-Sammy-
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,668

Post#58 » by -Sammy- » Sun Feb 3, 2019 1:50 am

SD2042 wrote:If Houston is present and Dallas is the future, where do the Spurs stand right now?

At this point, it's a quantity unknown... most likely 'the past', to predict the harsh way some might put it. There's nothing wrong with that-- we've had it really good for a really long time. But Houston has been more of a contender and Dallas has the most rising talent, so I think the analogy holds. Of course, we're ahead of them in the standings now, but both SA and HOU have been dealing with injuries and personnel changes, and I'm hesitant to base my analysis on February standings anyhow. The playoffs will tell us a lot.

imagump1313 wrote:I'm not big on Porzingis myself because of the injuries. And many people forgot how he was in the media last season before the injury saying how tired he was and that was early in the year. Obviously with a healthy Porzingis Dallas will be formidable but that will also force us to be better which can only be a good thing IMO.

Yeah, I have reservations about KP, too, but we all know Doncic is the future of that franchise anyhow. KP has a high ceiling, and a fully-realized KP as their second-best player-- that's a pretty formidable foundation. Factor a proven coach whose players love him and an owner who isn't afraid to spend money and the future looks bright. If they were to get someone like Klay in the offseason? Look out.

imagump1313 wrote:I know I am on an island here but I have never understood the Houston over-hype. They may have won some games the last couple seasons but I have never considered them a title contender at all. The narrative last year that they would have won that series last year if Chris Paul didn't get hurt is laughable IMO. They were NEVER winning that series. Houston is the typical D'Antoni team that generates a ton of stats in the regular season, less than meaningful games which gets people all excited. Then collapse against good teams who know how to defend.

I'm on-board with some of this and I used to be on-board with more of it. I always felt D'Antoni was overrated, but he has addressed his biggest coaching shortfall by coaching defense in H-Town, and at least as far back as the last full season and playoff, they were undeniably the second-best WC team, taking the champs the distance in the conference finals. And I think they absolutely could've won the series last year-- they were winning it when CP went down. I think the Ws were still probably going to win, but it was no lock.

imagump1313 wrote:I would say if Houston is the present and Dallas is the future, then San Antonio is the constant.

My present/future analogy was just in regards to contention. When healthy, the Rox are currently the best of the three, and Dallas has the most upside. I like the notion of the good guys being the constant, though... with a historical 22nd consecutive playoff berth looking likely, it's hard to argue with that. It's a good chunk of NBA players who didn't even exist the last time we saw the lottery.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#59 » by SD2042 » Sun Feb 3, 2019 2:33 am

BombsquadSammy wrote:
SD2042 wrote:If Houston is present and Dallas is the future, where do the Spurs stand right now?

At this point, it's a quantity unknown... most likely 'the past', to predict the harsh way some might put it. There's nothing wrong with that-- we've had it really good for a really long time. But Houston has been more of a contender and Dallas has the most rising talent, so I think the analogy holds. Of course, we're ahead of them in the standings now, but both SA and HOU have been dealing with injuries and personnel changes, and I'm hesitant to base my analysis on February standings anyhow. The playoffs will tell us a lot.

imagump1313 wrote:I'm not big on Porzingis myself because of the injuries. And many people forgot how he was in the media last season before the injury saying how tired he was and that was early in the year. Obviously with a healthy Porzingis Dallas will be formidable but that will also force us to be better which can only be a good thing IMO.

Yeah, I have reservations about KP, too, but we all know Doncic is the future of that franchise anyhow. KP has a high ceiling, and a fully-realized KP as their second-best player-- that's a pretty formidable foundation. Factor a proven coach whose players love him and an owner who isn't afraid to spend money and the future looks bright. If they were to get someone like Klay in the offseason? Look out.

imagump1313 wrote:I know I am on an island here but I have never understood the Houston over-hype. They may have won some games the last couple seasons but I have never considered them a title contender at all. The narrative last year that they would have won that series last year if Chris Paul didn't get hurt is laughable IMO. They were NEVER winning that series. Houston is the typical D'Antoni team that generates a ton of stats in the regular season, less than meaningful games which gets people all excited. Then collapse against good teams who know how to defend.

I'm on-board with some of this and I used to be on-board with more of it. I always felt D'Antoni was overrated, but he has addressed his biggest coaching shortfall by coaching defense in H-Town, and at least as far back as the last full season and playoff, they were undeniably the second-best WC team, taking the champs the distance in the conference finals. And I think they absolutely could've won the series last year-- they were winning it when CP went down. I think the Ws were still probably going to win, but it was no lock.

imagump1313 wrote:I would say if Houston is the present and Dallas is the future, then San Antonio is the constant.

My present/future analogy was just in regards to contention. When healthy, the Rox are currently the best of the three, and Dallas has the most upside. I like the notion of the good guys being the constant, though... with a historical 22nd consecutive playoff berth looking likely, it's hard to argue with that. It's a good chunk of NBA players who didn't even exist the last time we saw the lottery.

I was hesitant about using the past part in the event if fans were to become offended although it's the truth in some ways. The Spurs have done well in the last two decades. No shame in it. The one thing the Spurs must be given credit for is that they always maintain and work well with what they have.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#60 » by imagump1313 » Sun Feb 3, 2019 6:42 am

I have to say I'm a little bit excited about the Spurs future seeing how White and Forbes are contributing and Bertans is finally starting to "get it". I wouldn't be surprised if SA stays competitive with or even surpasses both Houston and Dallas for the next few years.
Chris Paul's hamstring and contract have destroyed Houston. I don't see that team getting better than they were last year even when healthy. Dallas gets better, yes. But they aren't even close to contending next year.
As far as the Spurs go, we still have a small window with Aldridge and DeRozan and a deep supporting cast for a year or two if we get lucky with a couple of right moves this off season and stay healthy.

Return to San Antonio Spurs