ImageImageImageImageImage

John Wall OUT for 12 months; Ruptured Achilles

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,034

Re: John Wall OUT for 12 months; Ruptured Achilles 

Post#161 » by queridiculo » Wed Feb 6, 2019 9:57 am

People **** all over Wall for re-injuring himself seems like the height of stupidity, especially assigning malice or some sort of willful negligence.

You guys have to be kidding with these hot takes, especially calling for the Wizards to find a way to void his deal. WTF is wrong with you?

Out of all the people that have a stake, who do you think is burning the most to be back out there to play?

Some of you need to do some soul searching, you should know something is wrong when you find yourself on the same side of an argument with the std infested one.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#162 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Feb 6, 2019 10:16 am

queridiculo wrote:People **** all over Wall for re-injuring himself seems like the height of stupidity, especially assigning malice or some sort of willful negligence.

You guys have to be kidding with these hot takes, especially calling for the Wizards to find a way to void his deal. WTF is wrong with you?

Out of all the people that have a stake, who do you think is burning the most to be back out there to play?

Some of you need to do some soul searching, you should know something is wrong when you find yourself on the same side of an argument with the std infested one.
I cannot believe how evil and dumb people are.

Wall is a young man they cheered for before. He's injured. Now, suddenly the evil people want to find a way to demonize, denigrate, and nullify all John Wall stands for.

That's what happened to native Americans after the first Thanksgiving day. That's what happened to freed slaves in the Jim Crow south. The Klan was formed .

The fact that some injury took place January 29th and the injury sounds spurious is not even justification for the Wall hate.

Sent from my SM-J337T using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#163 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Feb 6, 2019 10:24 am

Ruzious wrote:
payitforward wrote:
TheKingOfVa360 wrote:It has to be a way we can waive his contract. Hopefully he violated some term in the contract.

You want them to be able to screw a guy b/c he is hurt.

What's the matter with you, man?

Oh stop being sanctimonious. He's getting paid either way, and we're talking about a guy who's already set for life and for generations. The point is that it's possible his negligence led to the achilles tear. It should be okay for fans to discuss that possiblity without others acting like we're inhuman for bringing it up.
Negligence possible? Yes.

How's the contract explicitly worded? Who decides the liability? Conflict of interest possibilities abound between owner, player, insurer, team medical staff who proposed treatments, etc.

The idea of voiding Wall is a slippery slope. All players who get injured would be fair game for scrutiny.

Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#164 » by Ruzious » Wed Feb 6, 2019 10:34 am

Lol, I'm evil and dumb and demonizing Wall for pointing out that the doctor said his instructions to Wall were not to walk without the boot, and the report was that he tore his achilles while not following those instructions, so Wall might bear some responsibility for the injury. I'm a horrible frikkin person! And that makes me responsible for Pilgrims killing Indians and for the formation of the KKK.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
RealGM

Post#165 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Feb 6, 2019 11:04 am

Where were you on November 22, 1963, Ruzious?
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#166 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Feb 6, 2019 11:05 am

I was laughing a bit myself at that KKK part!

Man, Wall being hurt is so, so, so Wizards.

Bye bye Beal.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#167 » by closg00 » Wed Feb 6, 2019 12:08 pm

Just wondering how TF your let your Mega Max player get an infection from the surgery, reminds me of Gilbert running around unsupervised after knee surgery. Yeah, I am exaggerating
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#168 » by Ruzious » Wed Feb 6, 2019 1:29 pm

closg00 wrote:Just wondering how TF your let your Mega Max player get an infection from the surgery, reminds me of Gilbert running around unsupervised after knee surgery. Yeah, I am exaggerating

The first thing I thought of was - we can't let this become another Gilbert situation - that could kill all hope for several seasons and ruin John's career... and voila. The next time John plays for the Wiz, he will likely be 30 years old.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#169 » by Illmatic12 » Wed Feb 6, 2019 2:11 pm

stilldropin20 wrote:this is bull crap. professional athlete cant slip and fall and tear an achilles in their house. not possible. something else happened. he jumped, leaped, ran, sprinted, got drunk and tried dunking...something. something else happened.

also...the site was infected?? did he also not take his antibiotics? cuz there is NO WAY that he had bone spurs removed and the there was no 2 week regimen of antibiotic...which stay in his body for another 7-14 days...so im not buying any of it.

and no...i never liked arenas as a basketball player nor wall. immature selfish head down style of play is often and indicator and an immature human being. same with lavine, westbrook, kobe, MJ, and many others. few players are good enough to be selfish immature players and still win...and they usually do so because they are surrounded by a slew of players willing to fall on their sword for said player.

in the end...this could be a huge blessing in disguise if they simply embrace the tank and trade everyone for picks. tank now and draft for 2024-25!!

in 15 months...if wall makes it back for 3 good months.... some fool will trade for him....trade him then.

Antibiotics aren’t a panacea for infection, bacteria are constantly mutating and with increased exposure they will eventually develop resistance to common antibiotics . Derrick Guice had an infection from his ACL surgery that caused a setback, and ended up needing 3 more surgeries.

Also one side effect of the antibiotics they give you is they cause your body’s soft tissues to break down, which weakens the tendons.

The average person taking these drugs has a 70 percent greater risk of tendinopathy and a 30 percent greater risk for a full-blown rupture than someone taking a different antibiotic, according to a recent review article. Because much of the Achilles tendon has little blood supply, it’s more prone to injury to begin with, Dr. Miller said. It’s also the most affected by fluoroquinolones. The antibiotics quadruple the risk of Achilles tendon rupture.

For the heel operation Wall had, they had to make a minor incision into his achilles , when you combine that with the antibiotics - well, his achilles’ tendon was probably already the equivalent of string cheese. It wouldn’t take very much stress for the tendon to rupture (it wasn’t a full rupture , thankfully)

If you’ve ever had a lower body injury and tried to get around your house, it’s not hard to see how this could have happened. You can easily lose balance and accidentally put weight on the wrong foot.

Read on Twitter

Just an unfortunate situation for all around. The road to rehab for John is going to be long and taxing for him, especially with his newborn son who he won’t be able to run around and play with anytime soon. But I know he’ll stay strong and will do everything in his power to make a come back.
stilldropin20
RealGM
And1: 1,233

Post#170 » by stilldropin20 » Wed Feb 6, 2019 2:48 pm

you guys are pretty much wrong about the antibiotics. especially for some high end hospital clinic where wall had surgery. i mean in some ghetto hospital with weak sterilization staff? sure. anything can happen. Or if some malicious staff member just "had it in" for Wall? Sure! But in the highest end of surgical centers? na...not buying it. And no anti-biotics for wall while removing bonespurs around his achillies?? no way!!

Here's what i'm speculating: the bone spurs were right in and around where the attachment of the achilles inserts on the calcaneus. The surgeon likely undermined the attachment area significantly and even the insert itself...and all Wall had to do was lay off of it for 3 months and he would have healed right up. (no pun). <-- no different than a bone break. I'm guessing that Wall's achilles took the bone with it after the bone was undermined in surgery. but maybe the achilles was undermined while cleaning it up not the bone itself...and it got weaker when infected. either way...this just has no business happening to a professional athlete unless gross mal practice or gross negelct at home. I'm guesing its the latter.

and this is why i hate guaranteed contracts. NBA owners must lock out the players until they get rid of guaranteed contracts. There is no place in the entire world for guarantees for anyone until the working poor pare guaranteed a working livable wage.
like i said, its a full rebuild.
Induveca
Head Coach
And1: 724

Post#171 » by Induveca » Wed Feb 6, 2019 3:24 pm

Ruzious wrote:Lol, I'm evil and dumb and demonizing Wall for pointing out that the doctor said his instructions to Wall were not to walk without the boot, and the report was that he tore his achilles while not following those instructions, so Wall might bear some responsibility for the injury. I'm a horrible frikkin person! And that makes me responsible for Pilgrims killing Indians and for the formation of the KKK.

Anyone who has injured a tendon or has been unable to bear full weight on a leg can easily see how this could happen.

You have to take off those protective boots to shower, and doctors even suggest taking it off a bit daily for air etc. None of this strikes me as remotely worthy of a contract dispute, just sounds like bad luck.
Illmatic12
RealGM

Post#172 » by Illmatic12 » Wed Feb 6, 2019 3:30 pm

stilldropin20 wrote:you guys are pretty much wrong about the antibiotics. especially for some high end hospital clinic where wall had surgery. i mean in some ghetto hospital with weak sterilization staff? sure. anything can happen. Or if some malicious staff member just "had it in" for Wall? Sure! But in the highest end of surgical centers? na...not buying it. And no anti-biotics for wall while removing bonespurs around his achillies?? no way!!

Here's what i'm speculating: the bone spurs were right in and around where the attachment of the achilles inserts on the calcaneus. The surgeon likely undermined the attachment area significantly and even the insert itself...and all Wall had to do was lay off of it for 3 months and he would have healed right up. (no pun). <-- no different than a bone break. I'm guessing that Wall's achilles took the bone with it after the bone was undermined in surgery. but maybe the achilles was undermined while cleaning it up not the bone itself...and it got weaker when infected. either way...this just has no business happening to a professional athlete unless gross mal practice or gross negelct at home. I'm guesing its the latter.

and this is why i hate guaranteed contracts. NBA owners must lock out the players until they get rid of guaranteed contracts. There is no place in the entire world for guarantees for anyone until the working poor pare guaranteed a working livable wage.

It really does not take much to tear an achilles, especially when the structure of the tendon is already compromised from the Haglund's injury + antibiotics weakening the tissue.

Look at when Dan Marino did his achilles, he was just doing a normal 3-step drop and took a wrong step:

Also what do you define as "gross neglect"? Removing your walking boot to take a shower is not gross neglect. It's an accident that can happen to anyone.

And as for the anti-labor drivel at the end, oh please. NBA contracts being non-guaranteed wouldn't do a damn thing for the "working poor", it juts puts more money in the team owner's pockets.
Induveca
Head Coach
And1: 724

Post#173 » by Induveca » Wed Feb 6, 2019 3:33 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:
stilldropin20 wrote:this is bull crap. professional athlete cant slip and fall and tear an achilles in their house. not possible. something else happened. he jumped, leaped, ran, sprinted, got drunk and tried dunking...something. something else happened.

also...the site was infected?? did he also not take his antibiotics? cuz there is NO WAY that he had bone spurs removed and the there was no 2 week regimen of antibiotic...which stay in his body for another 7-14 days...so im not buying any of it.

and no...i never liked arenas as a basketball player nor wall. immature selfish head down style of play is often and indicator and an immature human being. same with lavine, westbrook, kobe, MJ, and many others. few players are good enough to be selfish immature players and still win...and they usually do so because they are surrounded by a slew of players willing to fall on their sword for said player.

in the end...this could be a huge blessing in disguise if they simply embrace the tank and trade everyone for picks. tank now and draft for 2024-25!!

in 15 months...if wall makes it back for 3 good months.... some fool will trade for him....trade him then.

Antibiotics aren’t a panacea for infection, bacteria are constantly mutating and with increased exposure they will eventually develop resistance to common antibiotics . Derrick Guice had an infection from his ACL surgery that caused a setback, and ended up needing 3 more surgeries.

Also one side effect of the antibiotics they give you is they cause your body’s soft tissues to break down, which weakens the tendons.

The average person taking these drugs has a 70 percent greater risk of tendinopathy and a 30 percent greater risk for a full-blown rupture than someone taking a different antibiotic, according to a recent review article. Because much of the Achilles tendon has little blood supply, it’s more prone to injury to begin with, Dr. Miller said. It’s also the most affected by fluoroquinolones. The antibiotics quadruple the risk of Achilles tendon rupture.

For the heel operation Wall had, they had to make a minor incision into his achilles , when you combine that with the antibiotics - well, his achilles’ tendon was probably already the equivalent of string cheese. It wouldn’t take very much stress for the tendon to rupture (it wasn’t a full rupture , thankfully)

If you’ve ever had a lower body injury and tried to get around your house, it’s not hard to see how this could have happened. You can easily lose balance and accidentally put weight on the wrong foot.

Read on Twitter

Just an unfortunate situation for all around. The road to rehab for John is going to be long and taxing for him, especially with his newborn son who he won’t be able to run around and play with anytime soon. But I know he’ll stay strong and will do everything in his power to make a come back.

I’ve been the victim of antibiotic tendon weakness, certain classes literally cause tendons to tighten up to the point of pain, while simultaneously weakening.

If he had an infection he was also likely putting on a topical medication, which would require removing the boot 2-3 times a day for prolonged periods. That and during showers etc.

Guy should have been under strict nursing care, if he was at home doing all of this himself any fault here lies on the Wizards. They could have easily insisted on 24/7 nursing care for the first few months to protect their 150 million+ investment. The risk/reward of spending 35k for such care is pretty apparent.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#174 » by Ruzious » Wed Feb 6, 2019 3:36 pm

What does J Michael slipping have anything to do with John Wall slipping. No offense to J (well, maybe some), but he's a fat slob unathletic looking sports-writer; while John Wall is a professional athlete with a 170 million contract coming up. It ain't exactly brain surgery to know to use a chair in the shower when you're injured. There are literally many millions of people who do that on a regular basis.
gtn130
Analyst
And1: 2,740

Post#175 » by gtn130 » Wed Feb 6, 2019 3:47 pm

So with Wall out 12+ months, possibly missing all of next year - is the direction of the franchise really going to be standing pat at the deadline and holding onto Beal, Porter, Ariza, Green, etc. to make a 'playoff push'?

And then go into next year with more or less the same team but $40m of dead cap and do the same thing again?

This is the dumbest franchise in pro sports
Illmatic12
RealGM

Post#176 » by Illmatic12 » Wed Feb 6, 2019 3:57 pm

Ruzious wrote:What does J Michael slipping have anything to do with John Wall slipping. No offense to J (well, maybe some), but he's a fat slob unathletic looking sports-writer; while John Wall is a professional athlete with a 170 million contract coming up. It ain't exactly brain surgery to know to use a chair in the shower when you're injured. There are literally many millions of people who do that on a regular basis.

DeAngelo Hall had a very similar situation where he slipped in his kitchen and tore his achilles. Is DeAngelo Hall also a fat slob?

Tony Ferguson (UFC fighter) had to cancel his fight vs Khabib because he tore up his knee:

Spoiler:
[instagram]https://www.instagram.com/tonyfergusonxt/?utm_source=ig_embed[/instagram]

You know how it happened? He was walking, tripped over some cables on the ground and fell. That was it. Is he a fat slob also?

Accidents can happen to everyone, why not just leave it at that? I don't understand this culture of "Who can be the biggest douchebag" whenever something unfortunate happens to a public figure.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#177 » by Ruzious » Wed Feb 6, 2019 4:00 pm

Induveca wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Lol, I'm evil and dumb and demonizing Wall for pointing out that the doctor said his instructions to Wall were not to walk without the boot, and the report was that he tore his achilles while not following those instructions, so Wall might bear some responsibility for the injury. I'm a horrible frikkin person! And that makes me responsible for Pilgrims killing Indians and for the formation of the KKK.

Anyone who has injured a tendon or has been unable to bear full weight on a leg can easily see how this could happen.

You have to take off those protective boots to shower, and doctors even suggest taking it off a bit daily for air etc. None of this strikes me as remotely worthy of a contract dispute, just sounds like bad luck.

Again there are literally many millions of people who understand that you use a chair in the shower when you have a physical problem like that and - actually do it.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#178 » by Ruzious » Wed Feb 6, 2019 4:11 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:What does J Michael slipping have anything to do with John Wall slipping. No offense to J (well, maybe some), but he's a fat slob unathletic looking sports-writer; while John Wall is a professional athlete with a 170 million contract coming up. It ain't exactly brain surgery to know to use a chair in the shower when you're injured. There are literally many millions of people who do that on a regular basis.

DeAngelo Hall had a very similar situation where he slipped in his kitchen and tore his achilles. Is DeAngelo Hall also a fat slob?

Tony Ferguson (UFC fighter) had to cancel his fight vs Khabib because he tore up his knee:

Spoiler:
[instagram]https://www.instagram.com/tonyfergusonxt/?utm_source=ig_embed[/instagram]

You know how it happened? He was walking, tripped over some cables on the ground and fell. That was it. Is he a fat slob also?

Accidents can happen to everyone, why not just leave it at that? I don't understand this culture of "Who can be the biggest douchebag" whenever something unfortunate happens to a public figure.

Tell me what I actually said to make you call me a douchebag. This injury is a crushing blow to the franchise, and it's the second time we've had this happen. I think it's fair to question exactly what happened.
stilldropin20
RealGM

Post#179 » by stilldropin20 » Wed Feb 6, 2019 4:13 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:
stilldropin20 wrote:you guys are pretty much wrong about the antibiotics. especially for some high end hospital clinic where wall had surgery. i mean in some ghetto hospital with weak sterilization staff? sure. anything can happen. Or if some malicious staff member just "had it in" for Wall? Sure! But in the highest end of surgical centers? na...not buying it. And no anti-biotics for wall while removing bonespurs around his achillies?? no way!!

It really does not take much to tear an achilles, especially when the structure of the tendon is already compromised from the Haglund's injury + antibiotics weakening the tissue.

Look at when Dan Marino did his achilles, he was just doing a normal 3-step drop and took a wrong step:

Also what do you define as "gross neglect"? Removing your walking boot to take a shower is not gross neglect. It's an accident that can happen to anyone.

And as for the anti-labor drivel at the end, oh please. NBA contracts being non-guaranteed wouldn't do a damn thing for the "working poor", it juts puts more money in the team owner's pockets.

300 pound human fell on marino. plus football players are all over weight save wide receivers...who are only slightly over weight albeit all muscle. A typical 5'10" male is only suppose to be 160 pounds evolutionarily speaking. a 5'10" foot ball player is generally 185-210 pounds. with stronger calves that allows them to push off the turf at forces not intended for the achilles and calcaneus bone insert.

This is why NBA players are getting hurt more often these days than in the 80's. the athletes are almost the same length but are putting on much much more mass and adding much more strength to the muscles...but the ligaments and tendons are the same size as they have always been.

as for the "drivel" at the end. if Wall could be cut right now and only get paid this year's salary...what is it again...$20 million!!!??? The wizards could replace wall in free agency. and in fact the salary cap would force them to replace wall. So the owner doesn't save a penny from cutting wall. the only person to lose is wall...who could stay healthy...some other guy gets a chance. a totally new player...AKA some poor shmuck who's been busting his butt to make it to the NBA. aren't you libs in this for the little guy??????
stilldropin20
RealGM

Post#180 » by stilldropin20 » Wed Feb 6, 2019 4:16 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:

Spoiler:

john wall is worth over $150 million!! if you want to cry for him go ahead. no one is stopping you. Me? I aint cryin for no one especially john effing wall!! a selfish iso ball player sucking up a huge chunk of the cap while his team plays better with him off the court!!!

Wall, the player is the exact reason to abolish guaranteed contracts. he is NEVER going to live up to even 10% of that contracts value!! Not even close!!!

Return to Washington Wizards