ImageImageImageImageImage

John Wall OUT for 12 months; Ruptured Achilles

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,351

Re: John Wall OUT for 12 months; Ruptured Achilles 

Post#181 » by Kanyewest » Wed Feb 6, 2019 4:16 pm

Curious to know why Wall was wearing a walking booth rather than a cast. I remember wearing a cast on my arm and not being able to wash my arm, having to wear a plastic bag around it. My arm felt pretty gross after 6 weeks +. Or was Wall already in the initial recovery phase where they removed the cast over his foot?
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#182 » by Illmatic12 » Wed Feb 6, 2019 4:19 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:What does J Michael slipping have anything to do with John Wall slipping. No offense to J (well, maybe some), but he's a fat slob unathletic looking sports-writer; while John Wall is a professional athlete with a 170 million contract coming up. It ain't exactly brain surgery to know to use a chair in the shower when you're injured. There are literally many millions of people who do that on a regular basis.

DeAngelo Hall had a very similar situation where he slipped in his kitchen and tore his achilles. Is DeAngelo Hall also a fat slob?

Tony Ferguson (UFC fighter) had to cancel his fight vs Khabib because he tore up his knee:

Spoiler:
[instagram]https://www.instagram.com/tonyfergusonxt/?utm_source=ig_embed[/instagram]

You know how it happened? He was walking, tripped over some cables on the ground and fell. That was it. Is he a fat slob also?

Accidents can happen to everyone, why not just leave it at that? I don't understand this culture of "Who can be the biggest douchebag" whenever something unfortunate happens to a public figure.

Tell me what I actually said to make you call me a douchebag.

No it's cool man, speculating on how his contract can be voided is a totally normal response to an athlete suffering a debilitating injury in an accident. We know that's what you're trying to imply.
Illmatic12
RealGM

Post#183 » by Illmatic12 » Wed Feb 6, 2019 4:20 pm

stilldropin20 wrote:300 pound human fell on marino. plus football players are all over weight save wide receivers...who are only slightly over weight albeit all muscle. A typical 5'10" male is only suppose to be 160 pounds evolutionarily speaking. a 5'10" foot ball player is generally 185-210 pounds. with stronger calves that allows them to push off the turf at forces not intended for the achilles and calcaneus bone insert.

This is why NBA players are getting hurt more often these days than in the 80's. the athletes are almost the same length but are putting on much much more mass and adding much more strength to the muscles...but the ligaments and tendons are the same size as they have always been.

as for the "drivel" at the end. if Wall could be cut right now and only get paid this year's salary...what is it again...$20 million!!!??? The wizards could replace wall in free agency. and in fact the salary cap would force them to replace wall. So the owner doesn't save a penny from cutting wall. the only person to lose is wall...who could stay healthy...some other guy gets a chance. a totally new player...AKA some poor shmuck who's been busting his butt to make it to the NBA. aren't you libs in this for the little guy??????

Ahh so you're one of those. Will be putting this poster on ignore
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#184 » by miller31time » Wed Feb 6, 2019 4:23 pm

Ruzious wrote:Lol, I'm evil and dumb and demonizing Wall for pointing out that the doctor said his instructions to Wall were not to walk without the boot, and the report was that he tore his achilles while not following those instructions, so Wall might bear some responsibility for the injury. I'm a horrible frikkin person! And that makes me responsible for Pilgrims killing Indians and for the formation of the KKK.

I think this is the first time I've ever been called "evil" before. Heh, I guess I should be glad I made it this far!

For the record, there's a couple points that need to be clarified...

1. Wall MAY have actually been negligent in caring for his injury. When you are a professional athlete, your body is (generally) how you make your money. If you are being paid mega-millions and don't properly care for yourself and do something negligent, then you are putting your own contract at risk. Should I want Wall to be paid if he decided to ride a motorcycle with no helmet, did a wheelie and crashed, causing a serious injury?

2. Wall is already filthy, stinking rich. Not that that means he shouldn't be paid according to his production and contributions but can we please drop the Holier Than Thou attitude acting like this man will be a vagabond if he doesn't get his "SUPERMAX" contract that he won't be playing for?

3. Take the past into account before labeling people "evil." Has this person/poster exhibited "evil" characteristics or actions before? If not, then maybe just say that you disagree with what they say and state why.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#185 » by Ruzious » Wed Feb 6, 2019 4:27 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:DeAngelo Hall had a very similar situation where he slipped in his kitchen and tore his achilles. Is DeAngelo Hall also a fat slob?

Tony Ferguson (UFC fighter) had to cancel his fight vs Khabib because he tore up his knee:

Spoiler:
[instagram]https://www.instagram.com/tonyfergusonxt/?utm_source=ig_embed[/instagram]

You know how it happened? He was walking, tripped over some cables on the ground and fell. That was it. Is he a fat slob also?

Accidents can happen to everyone, why not just leave it at that? I don't understand this culture of "Who can be the biggest douchebag" whenever something unfortunate happens to a public figure.

Tell me what I actually said to make you call me a douchebag.

No it's cool man, speculating on how his contract can be voided is a totally normal response to an athlete suffering a debilitating injury in an accident. We know that's what you're trying to imply.

Again, this is the second time we've had a problem like this that's crushed the franchise. We should find out the facts. And either way, there's 100% chance that Wall's getting paid, so I don't get your comtempt.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#186 » by Ruzious » Wed Feb 6, 2019 4:30 pm

miller31time wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Lol, I'm evil and dumb and demonizing Wall for pointing out that the doctor said his instructions to Wall were not to walk without the boot, and the report was that he tore his achilles while not following those instructions, so Wall might bear some responsibility for the injury. I'm a horrible frikkin person! And that makes me responsible for Pilgrims killing Indians and for the formation of the KKK.

I think this is the first time I've every been called "evil" before. Heh, I guess I should be glad I made it this far!

1. Wall MAY have actually been negligent in caring for his injury. When you are a professional athlete, your body is (generally) how you make your money. If you are being paid mega-millions and don't properly care for yourself and do something negligent, then you are putting your own contract at risk. Should I want Wall to be paid if he decided to ride a motorcycle with no helmet, did a wheelie and crashed, causing a serious injury?

2. Wall is already filthy, stinking rich. Not that that means he shouldn't be paid according to his production and contributions but can we please drop the Holier Than Thou attitude acting like this man will be a vagabond if he doesn't get his "SUPERMAX" contract that he won't be playing for?

3. Take the past into account before labeling people "evil." Has this person/poster exhibited "evil" characteristics or actions before? If not, then maybe just say that you disagree with what they say and state why.

Ftr, I always thought you were evil. :wink: I kid, because apparently I'm a douche in addition to being evil. Actually, great post.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
ozthegap
Senior
And1: 159

Post#187 » by ozthegap » Wed Feb 6, 2019 4:49 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Tell me what I actually said to make you call me a douchebag.

Again, this is the second time we've had a problem like this that's crushed the franchise. We should find out the facts. And either way, there's 100% chance that Wall's getting paid, so I don't get your comtempt.

The fact is the organization gave him a stupid ass contract and now it has backfired on them and they have to pay up according to what they promised him. Why should they get an easy out? They didn't know an accident was a risk over the course of the contract? You'd think this kind of thing hadn't happened to them before and they didn't know any better.
Shanghai Kid
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#188 » by Shanghai Kid » Wed Feb 6, 2019 4:52 pm

Just have to say, I do feel for John. In 2017, there was a moment where John started to creep up on everybody's top 10 list. For a brief moment I think he was getting the attention and validation he craved. The truth is, most people even on the general board did not bat an eye when John was given the supermax because the consensus in that exact moment was that he was probably worth it.

But ever since 2017 his game and reputation have been derailed. As a 6x all-star you could argue that he was on a Hall of Fame pace. Now to lose essentially 2-3 seasons in his prime is horrible and you gotta feel for the guy (even though he will be handsomely paid). Money aside, I'm sure John's legacy and how his career is viewed is extremely important to him and that will probably motivated him to come back strong.
Illmatic12
RealGM

Post#189 » by Illmatic12 » Wed Feb 6, 2019 4:54 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Tell me what I actually said to make you call me a douchebag.

The facts are that he had an accident and suffered injury.
Why would a previous incident 10 years ago have any bearing on this? Some cricket player getting injured in India is just as relevant as you bringing up Arenas' injury.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#190 » by Ruzious » Wed Feb 6, 2019 5:00 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:No it's cool man, speculating on how his contract can be voided is a totally normal response to an athlete suffering a debilitating injury in an accident. We know that's what you're trying to imply.

Why would a previous incident 10 years ago have any bearing on this? Some cricket player getting injured in India is just as relevant as you bringing up Arenas' injury.

So maybe we can learn from it this time?
Illmatic12
RealGM

Post#191 » by Illmatic12 » Wed Feb 6, 2019 5:02 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Again, this is the second time we've had a problem like this that's crushed the franchise. We should find out the facts. And either way, there's 100% chance that Wall's getting paid, so I don't get your comtempt.

The Redskins should have learned from the Theisman injury in 1985 and not allowed Alex Smith to break his leg last year.

That's the equivalent of what you are saying right now.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#192 » by Ruzious » Wed Feb 6, 2019 5:14 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:The facts are that he had an accident and suffered injury.

The Redskins should have learned from the Theisman injury in 1985 and not allowed Alex Smith to break his leg last year.

Not even close. But it's okay to disagree about something like this without making personal judgments about people. I'm probably a douchebag for a lot of other reasons but not about this.
Induveca
Head Coach
And1: 724

Post#193 » by Induveca » Wed Feb 6, 2019 5:16 pm

Kanyewest wrote:Curious to know why Wall was wearing a walking booth rather than a cast. I remember wearing a cast on my arm and not being able to wash my arm, having to wear a plastic bag around it. My arm felt pretty gross after 6 weeks +. Or was Wall already in the initial recovery phase where they removed the cast over his foot?

I broke my ankle many years ago, and had surgery. I wore a boot for 4 months no cast. With a surgical incision/post-op care it’s the only option.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,320

Post#194 » by nate33 » Wed Feb 6, 2019 5:37 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:The facts are that he had an accident and suffered injury.

I think the lesson to be learned here is that when handing out a Max contract to a guy with a significant injury history, one should weight the "risk" side of the risk-reward equation a bit more heavily.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,351

Post#195 » by Kanyewest » Wed Feb 6, 2019 5:47 pm

Shanghai Kid wrote:Just have to say, I do feel for John. In 2017, there was a moment where John started to creep up on everybody's top 10 list. For a brief moment I think he was getting the attention and validation he craved. The truth is, most people even on the general board did not bat an eye when John was given the supermax because the consensus in that exact moment was that he was probably worth it.

But ever since 2017 his game and reputation have been derailed. As a 6x all-star you could argue that he was on a Hall of Fame pace. Now to lose essentially 2-3 seasons in his prime is horrible and you gotta feel for the guy (even though he will be handsomely paid). Money aside, I'm sure John's legacy and how his career is viewed is extremely important to him and that will probably motivated him to come back strong.

I think the opinion on giving him the super max was mixed here. In 2017, Wall's play was tailing off in the 2nd half of that season on the defensive end and was made more apparent in the playoffs against the Celtics. Some people were blaming that on the acquisition of Bojan, although the Pacers have been able to construct a top defense despite his weakness on that end. The problem in his game sill remained where he was weak on the perimeter shooting, would take mid range shots early in the shot clock, and didn't move without the ball.

I remember making the case that Kyrie was playing better specifically because what he was doing in the playoffs against the Celtics and Warriors, who did not make an all star team. Weirdly enough, Kyrie has progressed better defensively than Wall despite being less physically gifted.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#196 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Feb 6, 2019 6:22 pm

Ruzious wrote:What does J Michael slipping have anything to do with John Wall slipping. No offense to J (well, maybe some), but he's a fat slob unathletic looking sports-writer; while John Wall is a professional athlete with a 170 million contract coming up. It ain't exactly brain surgery to know to use a chair in the shower when you're injured. There are literally many millions of people who do that on a regular basis.
I'm 5'8" and 283.

I almost fought a guy the other day. There is a picture of my upper back, shoulders, neck and head as I'm standing next to a group of men at our Men's Retreat 2017.

I'm overweight.

I'm not a slob. My property manager wants to hire me to provide security. Ruzious, I now swim a long time without tiring. I run backwards, dance and do 360s on a treadmill.

Fat is SOMETHING that you might think when you see me. I recall seeing jiggling fat as Josh Barnett won an MMA tournament. Fat guy beatdown and choked out three different opponents over four or five ours.

What I do not like is that some folks are skinny, weak, inflexible, cannot dance, have poor balance, very poor functional strength...Yet they're the first to laugh at what they perceive to be fat slob.

At 4:30 I'm out running and walking on paved streets...Sometimes barefoot.

Yeah, I'm a bit nuts. :)

I'm also sexy and a fledgling actor. I'm a freak of nature. I can do warrior pose while holding heavy gym bag...

And I just turned 58.

Not mad at you, Ruz. Fat shaming? Not going anywhere but I know better.

God is good all the time!

Sent from my SM-J337T using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#197 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Feb 6, 2019 6:23 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:

DeAngelo Hall had a very similar situation where he slipped in his kitchen and tore his achilles. Is DeAngelo Hall also a fat slob?

Spoiler:

Tell me what I actually said to make you call me a douchebag. This injury is a crushing blow to the franchise, and it's the second time we've had this happen. I think it's fair to question exactly what happened.
Ernie made the call.

You seem to be blaming Wall for a fall.

Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#198 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Feb 6, 2019 6:28 pm

miller31time wrote:

I think this is the first time I've ever been called "evil" before. Heh, I guess I should be glad I made it this far!

However rich Wall may be, Theodore Leonsis is richer.

The Wizards are going to be financially constrained by the supermax deal. The NBA is probably going to do ownership a solid by BBC relaxing the cap for injured players.

In the meantime, the Wizards are nothing more than just a 5 through 8 seed in the east. They can still be that without Wall for the next year and a half or two

Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#199 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Feb 6, 2019 6:32 pm

Shamorie Ponds
Trey Jones
Ja Morant
Kyle Bowman
Carsen Edwards

What other PGs am I missing?

Face forward

Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#200 » by Ruzious » Wed Feb 6, 2019 6:34 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:DeAngelo Hall had a very similar situation where he slipped in his kitchen and tore his achilles. Is DeAngelo Hall also a fat slob?

Spoiler:

Tell me what I actually said to make you call me a douchebag. This injury is a crushing blow to the franchise, and it's the second time we've had this happen. I think it's fair to question exactly what happened.
Ernie made the call.

You seem to be blaming Wall for a fall.

I'm saying he might be partialy at fault and I'd like to know to what extent he was.

Return to Washington Wizards