UFC 235 (3/3): Jones vs. Some Guy

Moderator: lilfishi22

Steelo Green
RealGM
And1: 24,799

Post#1 » by Steelo Green » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:29 pm

Bit early but with a lot of this card out, I'm already super excited to discuss.

Here are the fights:

Jones v Smith
Woodley v Usman
Askren v Lawler
Garbrant v Munhoz
Holm v Ladd
Torres v Zhang
Gall v Sanchez
Stephens v Zabit
OSP v Cirukunov

Maybe not the top fights having a big chance for a coin flip, but the sheer talent here is amazing.

Zabit is the most exciting fight. First fight against a real high level guy instead of the cans he has fought.
AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

Re: UFC 235 

Post#2 » by AirCanadaMouse » Sat Feb 2, 2019 12:09 am

Are they just skipping “233” as a PPV number entirely? Lol wtf

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Thank you Clutch0z24
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Re: UFC 235 

Post#3 » by REDDzone » Sat Feb 2, 2019 3:31 am

Stephens is the ultimate gatekeeper. Really not a better fight that could have been made for Zabit.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,877
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Re: UFC 235 (3/3): Jones vs. Some Guy 

Post#4 » by NO-KG-AI » Sat Feb 2, 2019 11:42 pm

The top fights have a ton of talent, but all have the potential to be snooze fests.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#5 » by REDDzone » Mon Feb 4, 2019 4:03 pm

This is pretty funny. Usman attempts to intimidate Askren, Ben never even takes his hands from behind his back or wipes the smile off his face. Also cracks a few jokes: "Are Marty and I sitting next to each other though? That's just bad planning." LOL.

For context, Usman has been saying Ben is the type of guy to talk sh*t online but wouldn't do so in person and of course Usman doesn't play that and WOULD slap Ben when he sees him in person. Needless to say that didn't happen.

Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#6 » by REDDzone » Mon Feb 4, 2019 4:11 pm

The more I think about it the funnier that is. Usman is about to challenge for a title and considers himself the best fighter on the planet. He steps up to a dude wearing sandals and the dude laughs in his face, doesn't uncross his legs, and keeps his hands behind his back. Hilarious way to defuse a situation with a dude who takes himself wayyyy too seriously.

I'm guessing Usman got a better reaction from the WSOF spectators he beat up in the crowd that time.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#7 » by REDDzone » Mon Feb 4, 2019 4:15 pm

That reminded me of the 10 minute exchange Woodley and Usman had at the presser. It was pretty entertaining. Woodley IMO got the better of it. He basically said I'm better than you everywhere, if we put boxing gloves on and they tell us to go box, I knock you out. If we put wrestling shoes on and they tell us to go wrestle, I pin you. If we go do and do jiu jitsu then I'll break your arm. LOL.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#8 » by Headliner » Tue Feb 5, 2019 1:58 pm

Usman looks like such a punk in that video.
Askren, in full dad bod, just laughs in his face without the smallest heart rate raise. I can't wait to see him scrap, but I have this small feeling that he's about to be Cro Copped, and by that i mean KO'ed in his highly anticipated debut.

I've only watched a few of his fights and his stand up looked really really really bad. Combine that with Lawler having crazy KO power and solid take down D, it could be a bad night for him. Hope im wrong though.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#9 » by REDDzone » Tue Feb 5, 2019 2:05 pm

Headliner wrote:Usman looks like such a punk in that video.
Askren, in full dad bod, just laughs in his face without the smallest heart rate raise. I can't wait to see him scrap, but I have this small feeling that he's about to be Cro Copped, and by that i mean KO'ed in his highly anticipated debut.

I've only watched a few of his fights and his stand up looked really really really bad. Combine that with Lawler having crazy KO power and solid take down D, it could be a bad night for him. Hope im wrong though.

This fight is such an enigma to me. If you told me Askren rode Lawler while making a cowboy lasso motion for 15 straight minutes or if you told me Lawler KOed Ben within the first 3 minutes, neither outcome would surprise me. I just don't know.

I agree his standup offense is bad, but with that said, he's been pretty open that he literally built his entire standup game around not getting punched in the face. In that way, his standup is actually pretty effective lol.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Headliner » Tue Feb 5, 2019 2:06 pm

Usman "No one digs like I do, I bring a shovel. I dig deep. ain't no one dig like i do"
Tyron "Who have you dug against, you fought no body"
Usman "It doesn't matter"
Tyron "Yes it does, you can't dig .. in water lol"

LOL Tyron is hilarous. I hope he starches Usman. I hate that fake bravado, and Tyron keeps growing on me.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Headliner » Tue Feb 5, 2019 2:07 pm

REDDzone wrote:

This fight is such an enigma to me. If you told me Askren rode Lawler while making a cowboy lasso motion for 15 straight minutes or if you told me Lawler KOed Ben within the first 3 minutes, neither outcome would surprise me. I just don't know.

I agree his standup offense is bad, but with that said, he's been pretty open that he literally built his entire standup game around not getting punched in the face. In that way, his standup is actually pretty effective lol.

Yup same.
It's the fight Im most excited for, by far because of that.
duppyy
RealGM
And1: 13,101

Post#12 » by duppyy » Wed Feb 6, 2019 5:35 pm

Zabit not being on the main card is a crime.
AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

Post#13 » by AirCanadaMouse » Thu Feb 7, 2019 1:38 am

Lawler being constantly praised for his TDD by fans... still doesn’t make sense to me. One of the most overrated skill set of any fighter. Maybe just behind Nate’s rubber guard. Lawler’s TDD is not good, in fact, it has been pretty bad for quite some time now, maybe since the Hendricks fights

And given the continued issues he has with his knees, and decline in athleticism, it’s going to be an issue anytime Askren gets in a clinch

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Thank you Clutch0z24
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#14 » by Bernman » Thu Feb 7, 2019 4:27 am

Well, Lawler ultimately shut Rory's attempts down. But Robbie is out of his athletic prime now and Askren is at another level from that.

Dana is just lying (playing the conspiracy card) when he claims the UFC doesn't set up some fighters to lose. That's part of being a matchmaker. You're often looking for a specific outcome. But I don't know this is one of those cases, or if so they could execute a lot better by pitting Ben up against Marty.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,826

Post#15 » by Jasen777 » Thu Feb 7, 2019 4:59 am

AirCanadaMouse wrote:And given the continued issues he has with his knees, and decline in athleticism, it’s going to be an issue anytime Askren gets in a clinch

Yes, it's big question what Lawler has left, but it's perhaps an even bigger question if Askren has bothered to get any better since he left Bellator, and he's on a big lay-off as well.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,877
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#16 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:59 pm

Something just rubs me wrong when guys try to brand themselves as some killer that everyone is afraid to fight, and continue to go out there and grind guys against the fence, or win decisions using takedowns and control, like Usman.

Ben’s point of “you’re trying to intimidate a guy who signed to fight you, we can just fight professionally” is great too.

Usman got clowned by everyone, and the LL Cool J comparison was apt hahahahhaa.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,459

Post#17 » by cowboyronnie » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:06 am

Prediction: Smith falls sick, Johnny Walker moved from Circunov as last minute replacement vs Jones, 11 second KO, new champ.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#18 » by REDDzone » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:18 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:Prediction: Smith falls sick, Johnny Walker moved from Circunov as last minute replacement vs Jones, 11 second KO, new champ.

You forgot: "Johnny Walker has to be restrained as he humps Bruce Buffer's leg as Buffer is reading the result."
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#19 » by REDDzone » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:35 pm

:lol:

Read on Twitter
Slo
Head Coach
And1: 8,532

Post#20 » by Slo » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:49 am

Thats a 10-8 for the UFC :lol:

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts