No votes

Total votes: 19

codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,505

2019 Trade Deadline Reactions 

Post#1 » by codydaze » Thu Feb 7, 2019 8:08 pm

The trade deadline has now officially passed and while some deals could still be announced within the next couple hours, it seems like the Kings are more than likely done dealing. This was our net haul:

Out: Iman Shumpert, Justin Jackson, Zach Randolph, Skal Labissiere
In: Harrison Barnes, Alec Burks, Caleb Swanigan, 2020 SRP

We now have an open roster spot and could very possibly go after Kanter in the buyout market, sounds like New York is holding on to Deandre Jordan.

Let's try to keep discussion on deadline moves here.
sacking123
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,348

Re: 2019 Trade Deadline Reactions 

Post#2 » by sacking123 » Thu Feb 7, 2019 8:57 pm

I gave it a B.
It wasn't the home run TD we were all hoping for, however it achieved a couple of major things for me.
The obvious one was SF, and while Barnes certainly wasn't my first choice he will be good on the proviso this doesn't turn into Barnes ISO guy team. This is Fox's team and Barnes needs to play his role, hopefully being the 4th option and will be played at the 4 for decent amounts of time.
The Burks trade gave us something I've been saying for the last couple of weeks which is going to be crucial if we are to make the POs. That is depth. Yes we could have kept Shump and put him to the bench, however Burks will give us offence and decent shooting off the bench and that is something that will help.
The only thing I don't like about these two additions is there is a chance they will go ISO too much, if that happens I would be upset about the deals.
Lastly was Swanigan, I really like this deal for us, it gets a young big that is cost controlled for one more year than Skal, is a year younger, and overall it just lets Skal go to a team and fight for a position again.
I'm hoping the change of scenery gives Swanigan a chance to improve and grow as a player too, which I'm going to say he does with Bagley and Giles around the same age.
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
pillwenney
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,474

Post#3 » by pillwenney » Thu Feb 7, 2019 9:24 pm

Happy with acquiring Barnes. I think people are being too forgiving though to call the Shump trade a precursor of some kind. The two deals were unrelated, and I still ultimatley dislike the Shump trade. Messes too much with the chemistry for what's not even really an upgrade.

But again, happy getting Barnes, so ultimately, I'll agree on the B.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,568

Post#4 » by LightTheBeam » Thu Feb 7, 2019 9:56 pm

pillwenney wrote:Happy with acquiring Barnes. I think people are being too forgiving though to call the Shump trade a precursor of some kind. The two deals were unrelated, and I still ultimatley dislike the Shump trade. Messes too much with the chemistry for what's not even really an upgrade.

I somewhat agree with what you are saying. For chemistry reasons I preferred to keep Shump around. However I think this was a favor to Shump. Rather than demoting him to the bench, we pick up another scorer and give him a bigger role in Houston.

I do think they were connected, however I think we could have convinced Shump to take the backup sf role and play 10-15 minutes. He loved this city and team. I think he will immediately get bigger minutes in Houston than he would have here with Barnes coming on board.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,236

Post#5 » by blind prophet » Thu Feb 7, 2019 10:26 pm

C

Barnes for cap space & expirings, fair deal. We need his size at the sf, possibly small ball pf too. Hard to grade until we see how he does here and if he opts in/out.

Shump trade. I get it, Hinkie style grab a second for a guy not likely to be here next year. But we had 9 in the next 3 drafts, sure every asset even a minor one helps, but this one is tough to swallow.

Skal for Swanigan. We need some toughness, so maybe this works out down the road. Better than status quo I guess.

We didn't get a 1st, we've upgraded our SF spot for now let's see what happens with the contract in the off season, grabbed a second.

Seems bare minimum, barely qualifying deadline for what we had to work with. Meh.
pillwenney
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,474

Post#6 » by pillwenney » Thu Feb 7, 2019 10:27 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
pillwenney wrote:Happy with acquiring Barnes. I think people are being too forgiving though to call the Shump trade a precursor of some kind. The two deals were unrelated, and I still ultimatley dislike the Shump trade. Messes too much with the chemistry for what's not even really an upgrade.

I somewhat agree with what you are saying. For chemistry reasons I preferred to keep Shump around. However I think this was a favor to Shump. Rather than demoting him to the bench, we pick up another scorer and give him a bigger role in Houston.

I do think they were connected, however I think we could have convinced Shump to take the backup sf role and play 10-15 minutes. He loved this city and team. I think he will immediately get bigger minutes in Houston than he would have here with Barnes coming on board.

This is a good point. You might be right. He'll have a good chance to earn a new contract in Houston. I wonder if he starts in Houston.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#7 » by SacKingZZZ » Thu Feb 7, 2019 10:35 pm

Shump was an awesome fit for the team but the truth was the team needed players that can help them get through those stretches where the offense bogs down and both Burks and Harrison can do that. Ideally they just picked up two pieces that will put an end to the frequency of those quarters where the Kings score 15-17 points while not ruining the offensive structure they've built. Those dry spells is what's killed them this year. Defensively Barnes is good when dialed in. Joerger will be a good coach for him because he'll push him to put the energy in on that side. Fox and Buddy now have some help when teams focus all they defensively have on them. This is in your hands now coach.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,236

Post#8 » by blind prophet » Thu Feb 7, 2019 10:58 pm

SacKingZZZ wrote:Shump was an awesome fit for the team but the truth was the team needed players that can help them get through those stretches where the offense bogs down and both Burks and Harrison can do that. Ideally they just picked up two pieces that will put an end to the frequency of those quarters where the Kings score 15-17 points while not ruining the offensive structure they've built. Those dry spells is what's killed them this year. Defensively Barnes is good when dialed in. Joerger will be a good coach for him because he'll push him to put the energy in on that side. Fox and Buddy now have some help when teams focus all they defensively have on them. This is in your hands now coach.

Having two combo guards off the bench (Yogi, Burks) paired with Bogi may be interesting to see. That's a good point about the offensive stagnation.
Sacramento_King
Rookie
And1: 76

Post#9 » by Sacramento_King » Fri Feb 8, 2019 3:16 am

RipPizzaGuy wrote:

Been reading a lot of great things of Burks though and his locker room presence. Seems he is a great teammate and well respected. Hopefully this translates quickly and we gel as a team. I think having such a young team is a positive in this as they will have to grow up and hopefully band together.

Not a huge Barnes fan but I can see the fit and why we did it. Jackson was starting to grow on me and I really liked his defensive intensity. Anything for Skal is a bonus. Guy needed a new environment and chance to play. Not sure if Portland will be that but let's hope for him. Swanigan is a great Summer League player. Hopefully we can develop him to be a potential trade asset in future.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#10 » by LightTheBeam » Fri Feb 8, 2019 3:36 am

blind prophet wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:Shump was an awesome fit for the team but the truth was the team needed players that can help them get through those stretches where the offense bogs down and both Burks and Harrison can do that. Ideally they just picked up two pieces that will put an end to the frequency of those quarters where the Kings score 15-17 points while not ruining the offensive structure they've built. Those dry spells is what's killed them this year. Defensively Barnes is good when dialed in. Joerger will be a good coach for him because he'll push him to put the energy in on that side. Fox and Buddy now have some help when teams focus all they defensively have on them. This is in your hands now coach.

Having two combo guards off the bench (Yogi, Burks) paired with Bogi may be interesting to see. That's a good point about the offensive stagnation.

Ya i thought Bagley was starting to be that guy, but theres no harm in Barnes who can get his own when needed. We needed more shot creators. As much as I love Buddy and hes working on it, hes still not the best at getting his own shot. Fox is too passive sometimes, and Bogdan can force it to much when hes off. Having more options who can get a bucket when needed will be nice.

As for the ball handling, I think anytime you can add guys who can handle its good. Now our 1-4 on both lineups have some sort of ball handling ability. Quite the change from 3 years ago.
SacSanity
Senior
And1: 89

Post#11 » by SacSanity » Fri Feb 8, 2019 6:12 am

I say B because we did not overpay for Barnes. If he ends up working, amazing, if not it isnt the worst. I really am excited to see how Giles and Bags pan out. I do not want to pay WCS anywhere near max or a big deal he will be looking for. I hope Giles can man the Center spot long term.
enderwilson
Pro Prospect
And1: 152

Post#12 » by enderwilson » Fri Feb 8, 2019 6:38 am

Perhaps it's something in the Denver air here :wink: but my misgivings around trading Shump and JJ have relaxed a bit.

While on paper, we're a much more competitive team than we were before the trade. I was as concerned as other about the shake up of the locker room dynamic. However, neither Shump nor JJ were really considered to be the long-term core of this team. I think a less appreciated silver lining would be these trades would cause the young core to bond even more. Isn't it always the case that a shared loss brings people closer together?
bleeds_purple
Analyst
And1: 1,809

Post#13 » by bleeds_purple » Fri Feb 8, 2019 6:45 am

blind prophet wrote:C

Barnes for cap space & expirings, fair deal. We need his size at the sf, possibly small ball pf too. Hard to grade until we see how he does here and if he opts in/out.

Shump trade. I get it, Hinkie style grab a second for a guy not likely to be here next year. But we had 9 in the next 3 drafts, sure every asset even a minor one helps, but this one is tough to swallow.

Skal for Swanigan. We need some toughness, so maybe this works out down the road. Better than status quo I guess.

We didn't get a 1st, we've upgraded our SF spot for now let's see what happens with the contract in the off season, grabbed a second.

Seems bare minimum, barely qualifying deadline for what we had to work with. Meh.

We can move WCS in the off-season to get in the draft if we want. It's better that way since you'll have certainty regarding your pick position.

And I honestly think moving Shump was a favor to him. He would be a border line DNP after bringing in Barnes. And as much as I love what he brought to the table building a culture, he has terrible decision-making. End of the day, our best players have to become the leaders. Let's see if they're ready.
sacking123
Assistant Coach

Post#14 » by sacking123 » Fri Feb 8, 2019 7:07 am

bleeds_purple wrote:

We can move WCS in the off-season to get in the draft if we want. It's better that way since you'll have certainty regarding your pick position.

And I honestly think moving Shump was a favor to him. He would be a border line DNP after bringing in Barnes. And as much as I love what he brought to the table building a culture, he has terrible decision-making. End of the day, our best players have to become the leaders. Let's see if they're ready.

Regarding WCS
At this stage it looks like the only teams that definitely can't sign him outright are:
Detroit: Drummond
Denver: Jokic
Houston: Capela
Portland: Nurkic
Cleveland: Thompson
OKC: Adams

Is that what you're meaning, via S&T due to a team already over the cap?

Of course there will be others as they sign their own players with their cap space, but I think the market for WCS is going to be pretty dry so I wouldn't be surprised to see us keep him at a lower number than everyone thinks. I just can't see a team out there that would see him as a 14-15 mill guy.
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#15 » by LightTheBeam » Fri Feb 8, 2019 7:44 am

simonbampfield wrote:
bleeds_purple wrote:

Regarding WCS
At this stage it looks like the only teams that definitely can't sign him outright are:

Of course there will be others as they sign their own players with their cap space, but I think the market for WCS is going to be pretty dry so I wouldn't be surprised to see us keep him at a lower number than everyone thinks. I just can't see a team out there that would see him as a 14-15 mill guy.
Maybe a sign and trade for Tristan Thompson? If we think Giles/Bagley are ready to take over next year he would be the perfect guy off the bench for us.

Giles/Thompson
Bagley/bjelica
Barnes/Bogdan
Buddy/Burks?
Fox/Yogi

I'd love to see this. Guys could really benefit from a tough player like Thompson putting his head down and banging inside night in and night out.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using RealGM mobile app
sacking123
Assistant Coach

Post#16 » by sacking123 » Fri Feb 8, 2019 7:53 am

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
simonbampfield wrote:
bleeds_purple wrote:

Regarding WCS

Maybe a sign and trade for Tristan Thompson? If we think Giles/Bagley are ready to take over next year he would be the perfect guy off the bench for us.

Giles/Thompson
Bagley/bjelica
Barnes/Bogdan
Buddy/Burks?
Fox/Yogi

I'd love to see this. Guys could really benefit from a tough player like Thompson putting his head down and banging inside night in and night out.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using RealGM mobile app

I could certainly get behind that. Thompson has been around the block, would compete really well and is one of those backups that can step in at any stage. Also wouldn't be worried about taking shots off the other guys.
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
bleeds_purple
Analyst
And1: 1,809

Post#17 » by bleeds_purple » Fri Feb 8, 2019 4:32 pm

He's a RFA. So even if a team has cap to sign him outright we can do a trade. Especially if we take money back.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#18 » by City of Trees » Sat Feb 9, 2019 12:26 am

I voted B

An A vote from me would have required trading for Porter and keeping Shumpert

However I'm very pleased with the deadline moves. Each one makes sense and we can clearly see the plan. I'm happy.

Sent from my SM-N950U using RealGM mobile app

Return to Sacramento Kings