ImageImage

Obnoxiously early 2019 Offseason Thread

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

What direction should the franchise be taking this summer?

Poll ended at Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:57 pm

Still in Phase 1: Asset Acquisition
37%
Phase 2: Filling in team needs around our cornerstones
40%
Compete for the playoffs -- it's time
19%
Ready to switch to win-now mode
5%

Total votes: 43

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,470

Obnoxiously early 2019 Offseason Thread 

Post#1 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Feb 8, 2019 6:48 pm

It's a tad premature, I know. But we now know the cap numbers for the summer and have an idea of what range we'll be drafting in. Consider this a place to consolidate the numerous conversations about what we can and should do this off season.

Read on Twitter

updated 6/26:

Spoiler:
Previous Version

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Re: Obnoxiously early 2019 Offseason Thread 

Post#2 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Feb 8, 2019 6:52 pm

I didn'nt realize we still projected to have that much cap space this summer.

With $43 million open, we seem likely to still utilize it as a way to absorb bad contracts for future assets and then sign veteran role players out of the bargain bin.

But with the progress of Trae, Collins, Huerter (and Taurean) plus the addition of two likely lottery selections, we still seem likely to make a playoff push next season.

This is a terrific spot to be in.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,375

Post#3 » by King Ken » Fri Feb 8, 2019 6:54 pm

1. Sign an elite level center: Horford or Cousins
2. Shop Prince, good player, just not the right fit for the cost for us in 2020. He will attract a lot of interest in the offseason
3. We could shop Bazemore but I don't see any suitors.
4. Sign more decent vets. Especially at the 1 and 4.
5. Consider possibly cutting Plumlee and his roster spot
6. Travis has already said in an older interview that wings are what we are looking for in the draft. I think we need to draft a wing at our pick and DAL.
7. Bring over Alpha Kaba
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#4 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Feb 8, 2019 7:00 pm

hawks_fan25 wrote:Who are our top targets this year in free agency? I love Klay and Boogie would be great, but I don't think either will come to Atl and they will both have plenty of massive offers. Middleton? Tobias? I just don't know which center out there would make us better. I've been talked out of Vucevic. I believe we are going for the playoffs next year and we have a chunk of change to spend the next couple of years.

Prince is actually starting to look like a starter, that injury was actually a good thing for him to sit back and understand what his role should be. I'd much rather have Dedmon than Len as our backup, but if we can't find a center upgrade on a reasonable deal then we should try to resign Dedmon. Len/Plumlee are gone after next year, so Dedmon could be the primary backup after that.

I'm sure one of the two firsts this year will be an immediate rotation guy and the other will be more of a development piece on a playoff team. The luxury of not being good enough this year is that all three of our firsts are developing on the court and making drastic improvements.

Thoughts on how we fill out the team this offseason?

If we decide to move into actual team building phase, I'd consider....acquiring Draymond Green's expiring contract from GSW. His lack of shooting is problematic, but his passing, defense, experience in a weaker East could help us get over the hump.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#5 » by King Ken » Fri Feb 8, 2019 7:02 pm

I believe we got our core with Trae, Collins and Kevin. We just need to add to it which we will with the picks.

I am okay with Bazemore starting at SF if Prince is traded for temporary till our picks are ready.

We need a legit impact vet at 5. An all star level big. No backup level ones like Dedmon.

We still have a lot of assets. But we need to fill gaps. If we take two wings and bring Kaba, we still need a backup PG. We could use a decent vet PG like a Patrick Beverly especially to prevent Trae from playing so many minutes. Even resigning Lin as an option.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#6 » by King Ken » Fri Feb 8, 2019 7:04 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
hawks_fan25 wrote:Who are our top targets this year in free agency? I love Klay and Boogie would be great, but I don't think either will come to Atl and they will both have plenty of massive offers. Middleton? Tobias? I just don't know which center out there would make us better. I've been talked out of Vucevic. I believe we are going for the playoffs next year and we have a chunk of change to spend the next couple of years.

Prince is actually starting to look like a starter, that injury was actually a good thing for him to sit back and understand what his role should be. I'd much rather have Dedmon than Len as our backup, but if we can't find a center upgrade on a reasonable deal then we should try to resign Dedmon. Len/Plumlee are gone after next year, so Dedmon could be the primary backup after that.

I'm sure one of the two firsts this year will be an immediate rotation guy and the other will be more of a development piece on a playoff team. The luxury of not being good enough this year is that all three of our firsts are developing on the court and making drastic improvements.

Thoughts on how we fill out the team this offseason?

If we decide to move into actual team building phase, I'd consider....acquiring Draymond Green's expiring contract from GSW. His lack of shooting is problematic, but his passing, defense, experience in a weaker East could help us get over the hump.

It's an option but Collins is not a center. Do you think Green can defend centers full time?

I want someone who can but I like the idea. His defense is a major need for us and he does fit. I would like for him to shoot like the old Draymond.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#7 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Feb 8, 2019 7:05 pm

If we're rejecting additional 2019 draft picks (we currently project to have 5), then that tells me we're approaching the point where we are no longer accepting assets blindly.

We're approaching a time when we're looking for specific needs based players.

Read on Twitter

“I would say that, going into this trade deadline, our objectives were the same as they were day one when I got here,” Schlenk said. “We were going to look to accumulate assets if we could. We were going to look to maintain our financial flexibility into the future. But we listened to a whole bunch of different offers. In the end, we never really found anything that met those two major objectives to us.”

Schlenk pointed to cohesion and not wanting to “tinker” with the positive vibes within the locker room.

“We are very pleased with the direction of the team,” said Schlenk prior to tip-off on Thursday.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#8 » by King Ken » Fri Feb 8, 2019 7:12 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:If we're rejecting additional 2019 draft picks (we currently project to have 5), then that tells me we're approaching the point where we are no longer accepting assets blindly.

We're approaching a time when we're looking for specific needs based players.

Read on Twitter

“I would say that, going into this trade deadline, our objectives were the same as they were day one when I got here,” Schlenk said. “We were going to look to accumulate assets if we could. We were going to look to maintain our financial flexibility into the future. But we listened to a whole bunch of different offers. In the end, we never really found anything that met those two major objectives to us.”

Schlenk pointed to cohesion and not wanting to “tinker” with the positive vibes within the locker room.

“We are very pleased with the direction of the team,” said Schlenk prior to tip-off on Thursday.

Travis has stated often that he doesn't do need based drafting. Fit and talent based, yes but not need based.
hawks_fan25
Sophomore
And1: 119

Post#9 » by hawks_fan25 » Fri Feb 8, 2019 7:20 pm

If we use some of the money to absorb another bad salary, then maybe we do sign Dedmon assuming the deal is reasonable. That way, he becomes the backup the following year when we try to sign an elite center. Horford is not elite. I'm a Gator and I have always loved watching Al, but he's proven over and over that he is not a postseason-caliber center. I'd rather spend my money elsewhere. I think Al would fit with Collins, but in the playoffs against a real center we would get beaten underneath just like all those playoff years with Al before.

I think we might be one foot in the door next year on winning. We will have to see how it goes early with our young players to know if we will be buyers or sellers at the deadline. It could also be a chance to bring over Alpha and see if he is ready to contribute. I'm not sure what his buyout is or if he's ready, but if we approach next year as one more year away from competing for real, then it's an option.

Lot of dead money coming off the books this year and $30m+ in bad salary coming off next year. I like where we are right now with all the exciting youngsters.
Hazer
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,127

Post#10 » by Hazer » Fri Feb 8, 2019 7:29 pm

Keep it simple: TrATL, The Huert, Fresh Printz, J-Bap, star acquisition C, plus 2 lottery picks should be the simple yet effective playbook for 2019. Especially getting a top 5 with our own and a top 10 with the Mavs' picks. Battle hard for playoff spot in 3rd year of rebuild. Len is a capable backup C, target an affordable vet backup PG (Lin if he'll take a big pay cut to stay, very doubtful). Tah dah!
Hazerbeamidge :guitar:
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,917

Post#11 » by jayu70 » Fri Feb 8, 2019 8:48 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:I didn'nt realize we still projected to have that much cap space this summer.

With $43 million open, we seem likely to still utilize it as a way to absorb bad contracts for future assets and then sign veteran role players out of the bargain bin.

But with the progress of Trae, Collins, Huerter (and Taurean) plus the addition of two likely lottery selections, we still seem likely to make a playoff push next season.

Yep, we're loaded with capspace.
Like I said in the other thread, I do think we take on bad salary for a future pick again this offseason and sign value FAs.
Unless by some miracle a top FA gives us a look.
Look to a teams like Portland depending on their playoff performance - maybe we can grab Zach Collins and Turner's bad salary. Detroit etc.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,629

Post#12 » by kg01 » Fri Feb 8, 2019 8:53 pm

Wish there was a way for us to nab Sabonis from IND but, if I were them, he wouldn't (reasonably) be available.
king01 :king:
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,430

Post#13 » by CP War Hawks » Fri Feb 8, 2019 9:08 pm

kg01 wrote:Wish there was a way for us to nab Sabonis from IND but, if I were them, he wouldn't (reasonably) be available.

Just have to max him out when the time comes, and see if Indy wants to deal. Otherwise, Pistons are about to release Ellenson. Nice young big to start there.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,629

Post#14 » by kg01 » Fri Feb 8, 2019 10:16 pm

CP War Hawks wrote:
kg01 wrote:Wish there was a way for us to nab Sabonis from IND but, if I were them, he wouldn't (reasonably) be available.

Just have to max him out when the time comes, and see if Indy wants to deal. Otherwise, Pistons are about to release Ellenson. Nice young big to start there.

Well, I like sabonis but he ain't a max player.

And Ellenson belongs out of the league imho but I'd be curious to see if CLP can develop him as long as he comes cheap.
king01 :king:
King Ken
General Manager

Post#15 » by King Ken » Fri Feb 8, 2019 10:26 pm

kg01 wrote:
CP War Hawks wrote:

And Ellenson belongs out of the league imho but I'd be curious to see if CLP can develop him as long as he comes cheap.

I don't know why guys here love Sabonis so much. His defense is bad and his size isn't great. I understand he fits what we used to have with Bud in terms of the quality we look for but he isn't worth it for us. His max isn't even that high to get Indy to not resign him as he will be RFA on a rookie deal in 2020 when EVERYONE has a lot of cap space.
CP War Hawks
Analyst

Post#16 » by CP War Hawks » Fri Feb 8, 2019 10:31 pm

kg01 wrote:
CP War Hawks wrote:

Sure he is, as the 2020 FA class is poor so that should almost conclude his 17.5m extenstion from atleast one other team than Indy. He would develop into a 20 and 10 player under the Hawks system.

Ellenson just can't stay healthy, but he has talent. Gotta let the medical staff see if they can revive him somewhat.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#17 » by King Ken » Fri Feb 8, 2019 10:34 pm

jayu70 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:I didn'nt realize we still projected to have that much cap space this summer.

Yep, we're loaded with capspace.
Like I said in the other thread, I do think we take on bad salary for a future pick again this offseason and sign value FAs.
Unless by some miracle a top FA gives us a look.
Look to a teams like Portland depending on their playoff performance - maybe we can grab Zach Collins and Turner's bad salary. Detroit etc.

I keep saying, this is a horrible idea and one I wish we would stop suggesting.
No one is trying to get bailed out of a contract that's willing to trade an major asset with 2020 clearing all books. A late first from a playoff team is ass and we have a core now. It would be stupid to not sign an elite level impact at the 5 and try to build these guys up to superstar status. Absolutely stupid.

We need to be a smart team. We have youngins who are ready to win big. We need to give them some damn help. Give them a Horford. Give them a Cousins. Give them a star. We need to be smart. That's what I love about Schlenk, he gets it. I been feeling like so many GMs we have had are dumb as bricks. This is the first one that's like, he can make better decisions than me and I feel confident about that in his full time job.

Travis is already the GM GOAT. But signing Cousins or Horford. That's big boy Masai, Morey, Ainge, and Presti status. That's what the elites do.

https://omny.fm/shows/92-9-the-game-morning-show-w-john-and-hugh/schlenk-on-trade-deadline-looking-at-options-to-cr

Being stupid is what we seen from BudCox, BK, Ferry, Babcock, and the rest of the clowns we had. We finally got a MVP level GM who knows what the hell he is doing. I am happy as hell about it. Listening to his pressers make me feel good. Same with his Assistant GM in Peterson.

King Ken
General Manager

Post#18 » by King Ken » Fri Feb 8, 2019 10:40 pm

hawks_fan25 wrote:If we use some of the money to absorb another bad salary, then maybe we do sign Dedmon assuming the deal is reasonable. That way, he becomes the backup the following year when we try to sign an elite center. Horford is not elite. I'm a Gator and I have always loved watching Al, but he's proven over and over that he is not a postseason-caliber center. I'd rather spend my money elsewhere. I think Al would fit with Collins, but in the playoffs against a real center we would get beaten underneath just like all those playoff years with Al before.

I think we might be one foot in the door next year on winning. We will have to see how it goes early with our young players to know if we will be buyers or sellers at the deadline. It could also be a chance to bring over Alpha and see if he is ready to contribute. I'm not sure what his buyout is or if he's ready, but if we approach next year as one more year away from competing for real, then it's an option.

Lot of dead money coming off the books this year and $30m+ in bad salary coming off next year. I like where we are right now with all the exciting youngsters.

Horford is an elite center.

https://hoopshabit.com/2019/01/28/boston-celtics-how-al-horford-figures-into-beating-leagues-elites/

You can be a Gator, still doesn't mean you know Al's impact or game. This idea of bringing back Dedmon is lunacy to me. He's not good at all. While Al is a beast. Al seem to lead Boston to two straight NBA ECF and almost took Bron in game 7. Don't blame us not having enough talent and being a wack team on him in 2015. That wasn't on him. That was on DMC who couldn't keep Bron out of the paint and Thabo for going out that night in NY during the RS which had the NYPD abuse him that night.

If we got a shot to add an elite center like Al, we need to do it. Only a novice wouldn't add someone like him. He unlike VC can truly improve these guys not just off the court but ON the court as well. The amount of credit he should get of Tatum and Brown development is next level.
CP War Hawks
Analyst

Post#19 » by CP War Hawks » Fri Feb 8, 2019 10:59 pm

KK, go get some sleep man, you are going off the rails. Horford has been declining steadily since 2013. Dedmon is already filling that role except one is declining while the other is inclining.

Horford projects to a top end backup once his deal expires. You actually think Ressler is going to resign an old Horford when he spat at the last Hawks offer.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#20 » by ATL Boy » Fri Feb 8, 2019 11:23 pm

I want to see us compete next season. John Collins, Kevin Huerter and Trae Young playing together have garnered a positive net efficiency rating, and they should all be better next season. Two lottery picks (hopefully both in the top 10) should be able to contribute immediately. We have an incredible amount of cap to sign another contributor at the very least.

I'm so sick of the tank. Even if we don't get a playoff spot next year I at least want to be at a point where I'm rooting for actual wins without being conflicted every game. At least compete for a playoff spot, and if you get in let that be gravy.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.

Return to Atlanta Hawks