Iman Shumpert to the Rockets

Moderators: ken6199, TMU

K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 4,467

Re: Iman Shumpert to the Rockets 

Post#21 » by K_chile22 » Fri Feb 8, 2019 10:21 pm

MaxRider wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:That's not how it works they still don't have the full mle likely

i'm pretty sure that's how it work
you get the full MLE when you aren't paying luxury tax
you get the taxpayer MLE when you are paying luxury tax
No, that's why I hate that it's called the tax payer mle. Anyone can use the full MLE. The catch is
1. You give up any cap space you may or may not have
2. It activates a hardcap that you cannot go over no matter what at about $7M over the tax line

So the Rockets would be about 9M below the tax line with 8 players, using the full mle on one player and minimums on everyone else puts them right over the hard cap which you can't do so they'd have to only use part of the MLE. So it would be better to not activate the hard cap by using the tax payer MLE and re-sign Shumpert and use those trade exceptions they just got to add players and not worry about hard cap
MaxRider
RealGM
And1: 5,792

Post#22 » by MaxRider » Fri Feb 8, 2019 10:39 pm

K_chile22 wrote:
MaxRider wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:That's not how it works they still don't have the full mle likely

i'm pretty sure that's how it work
No, that's why I hate that it's called the tax payer mle. Anyone can use the full MLE. The catch is
2. It activates a hardcap that you cannot go over no matter what at about $7M over the tax line

So the Rockets would be about 9M below the tax line with 8 players, using the full mle on one player and minimums on everyone else puts them right over the hard cap which you can't do so they'd have to only use part of the MLE. So it would be better to not activate the hard cap by using the tax payer MLE and re-sign Shumpert and use those trade exceptions they just got to add players and not worry about hard cap

what?
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 4,467

Post#23 » by K_chile22 » Fri Feb 8, 2019 10:53 pm

MaxRider wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:
MaxRider wrote:i'm pretty sure that's how it work

what?
Literally the only difference between the tax payer mle and regular mle is the amount it's worth (duh) and that using the full MLE puts a hard cap on your team, using the tax payer mle does not, you're allowed to go as deep into the tax as you want. It doesn't matter if you were in the tax or not. The name "tax payer mle" is misleading. Paying the tax has nothing to do with it. It's only called that because the only teams close to the hard cap are tax teams

For the Rockets it makes more sense to resign Shumpert, use the $5.5M Tax MLE and use in season signings and trade exceptions to add talent. Using the full MLE and putting a hard cap on this team makes it impossible to add buyout guys or trade for more salary than you're sending out, or even having a 15th player. Also means letting Shumpert walk after spending a 1st on him
moofs
General Manager
And1: 538
Location: "if the warriors win the title this season ill tattoo their logo in my di ck" -- 000001

Post#24 » by moofs » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:11 pm

Strategically, considering how the repeater tax works and that our odds, for whatever reasons, did go way down this year, going for the tax reset IS the right call, and while avoiding paying money IS involved, because Fertitta, **in reality**, simply doesn’t have the liquidity to recklessly handle deep luxury taxes if he can’t monetize it (It’s not because he’s cheap. An MBA at Red94 did an excellent writeup).

Cost savings aside, being over the cap for multiple years is pretty good at hamstringing anyone not named Ballmer, Buss, or Dolan. Any sensible team would reset it if they can in a non-high odds year, and your odds are pretty obvious based on point differential.

The 95 rockets were about as low as anyone’s been on that (~3.5 iirc). The 2019 rockets are right around 1 last I checked.
Morey 2020.

Q:How are they experts when they're always wrong?
A:Ask a stock market analyst or your financial advisor
BB_Fan
Sophomore
And1: 37

Post#25 » by BB_Fan » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:09 am

I think rockets should not have signed chris paul for the 40M deal. The rockets team with Harden alone cannot win a championship.
Can we trade him to lakers for Lonzo or Ingram.

Return to Houston Rockets