Re: Pelicans Could Have Received $100K Fine Per Game For Sitting Anthony Davis

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Pelicans Could Have Received $100K Fine Per Game For Sitting Anthony Davis  

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Feb 9, 2019 5:53 pm

The NBA informed the New Orleans Pelicans that they could be fined $100K per game for resting Anthony Davis, citing a 2017 rule that prevents teams from sitting healthy players.

There were rumors that Pelicans would hold Davis out for their remaining 27 games after he requested a trade in order to prevent injury and preserve his value.

Davis returned last night, scoring 32 points in 25 minutes.

"That was definitely awkward. Boo? OK. It doesn't matter to me. I'm going to go out there and play basketball. I was [surprised]. But hey, that's life, man. Some people are not gonna like me. I'm just happy to be back on the floor playing the game that I love," said Davis after the game. 

Via Brian Windhorst/ESPN

Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,534

Post#2 » by Furinkazan » Sat Feb 9, 2019 6:58 pm

So If a player (emplyoee) decides not to play (Leonard) its fine and he still gets paid.
But when employer want his employee to stay at home (and still pay him) its penalised and illegal?:D
makes sense :)
Wish it wokred for all of us not only NBA.
oceanlife
Junior
And1: 727

Post#3 » by oceanlife » Sat Feb 9, 2019 7:25 pm

Furinkazan wrote:So If a player (emplyoee) decides not to play (Leonard) its fine and he still gets paid.
But when employer want his employee to stay at home (and still pay him) its penalised and illegal?:D

Leonard doctor shopped to get out of playing for the Spurs, you can do that at your job too! Except you probably don't have a guaranteed contract and a union backing you up so you could be terminated later. Frankly the Spurs could have sued for non-performance and possibly won, but it wouldn't have been worth it to piss off the entire league at the end of Pop's career.

The NBA wants a good product out there and sitting players to preserve value wouldn't be a good look. If I were the Pelicans I would just play Davis like normal, the fans want to see him play so give your customers what they want.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Post#4 » by Pickled Prunes » Sat Feb 9, 2019 7:31 pm

oceanlife wrote:
Furinkazan wrote:So If a player (emplyoee) decides not to play (Leonard) its fine and he still gets paid.

Leonard doctor shopped to get out of playing for the Spurs, you can do that at your job too! Except you probably don't have a guaranteed contract and a union backing you up so you could be terminated later. Frankly the Spurs could have sued for non-performance and possibly won, but it wouldn't have been worth it to piss off the entire league at the end of Pop's career.

The NBA wants a good product out there and sitting players to preserve value wouldn't be a good look. If I were the Pelicans I would just play Davis like normal, the fans want to see him play so give your customers what they want.

I agree on both counts, but I will not be surprised when there is a lockout over this issue when the CBA comes up again. I think the players are going to lose some ground for sure!
LukasBMW
Suns Forum SlamDRUNK Contributor
And1: 4,286

Post#5 » by LukasBMW » Sat Feb 9, 2019 9:20 pm

2.7 million is a small price to pay to piss off the guy who just gave you the middle finger and ensure his trade value stays high.

If I were the Pelicans, I'd just sit him and pay $2.7 mil.
alienpick
Starter
And1: 619

Post#6 » by alienpick » Sat Feb 9, 2019 10:22 pm

Ok, I don't get this. So why aren't the CAVS and ROCKETS getting fined? They told JR and Melo to go sit at home?
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#7 » by Pickled Prunes » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:16 am

alienpick wrote:Ok, I don't get this. So why aren't the CAVS and ROCKETS getting fined? They told JR and Melo to go sit at home?

That was basketball related. There are players at the end of every bench that rarely see the floor. Besides, I think those guys wanted to go home.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#8 » by Pickled Prunes » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:17 am

LukasBMW wrote:2.7 million is a small price to pay to piss off the guy who just gave you the middle finger and ensure his trade value stays high.

If I were the Pelicans, I'd just sit him and pay $2.7 mil.

You're right, and not just for the spite of it. It would be like paying insurance that he's healthy to trade over the summer.
ccvle
Head Coach
And1: 1,714

Post#9 » by ccvle » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:38 am

alienpick wrote:Ok, I don't get this. So why aren't the CAVS and ROCKETS getting fined? They told JR and Melo to go sit at home?

Not sure about JR but I'm pretty sure it was a mutual decision by both rockets and melo.
hype_2004
RealGM
And1: 4,664

Post#10 » by hype_2004 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:52 am

Should've sit him down that 3 mil is chump change compare to Davis getting injured and lowering his trade value. Aside from that, what can the Pelicans gain from a player that doesn't even want to be there? Nothing.

Return to Wiretap Discussion