Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Re: Bruno Fernando 

Post#21 » by EvanZ » Fri Feb 8, 2019 7:09 pm

I think Fernando is a better Bam.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#22 » by King Ken » Sat Feb 9, 2019 6:06 am

GimmeDat wrote:I need to have him even higher than I do. He's probably fringe lottery. He's a real plus athlete who makes the most of it. I've been riding Gafford>Fernando in that sort of archetype most of the season but I think I may end up flipping that.

From 6-26 in this draft, they could go as high at 6 and as low as 26. Just one of those years.
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#23 » by nolang1 » Sat Feb 9, 2019 7:33 am

Harrell is much faster running the floor and despite being shorter is frequently able to dunk from a standstill position or after taking contact. I don't see why I'd even need to go into specifics to say Harrell is a freak athlete given that he's an effective center in the NBA despite being 6'8" tops and having no outside shot.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,767

Post#24 » by Upperclass » Sat Feb 9, 2019 7:54 am

He's closer to Bismack biyombo and he won't be impractful
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#25 » by clyde21 » Sat Feb 9, 2019 8:07 am

Upperclass wrote:He's closer to Bismack biyombo and he won't be impractful

what is that comp even based on?
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#26 » by Ruzious » Sat Feb 9, 2019 2:08 pm

EvanZ wrote:I think Fernando is a better Bam.

Bam's probably the best comp I've heard.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
kobyz
Rookie
And1: 270

Post#27 » by kobyz » Sat Feb 9, 2019 11:57 pm

Reminds me Vin Baker
King Ken
General Manager

Post#28 » by King Ken » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:35 am

I don't know why, but these Maryland guys fit our system hella well around Trae. He might be an option as a developmental big.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#29 » by GimmeDat » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:54 am

King Ken wrote:I don't know why, but these Maryland guys fit our system hella well around Trae. He might be an option as a developmental big.

I don't think he's necessarily even a 'developmental' guy. He'll have to polish things up as many young bigs do, but he should be pretty productive in his role from the get-go imo.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#30 » by King Ken » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:40 pm

GimmeDat wrote:
King Ken wrote:I don't know why, but these Maryland guys fit our system hella well around Trae. He might be an option as a developmental big.

I don't think he's necessarily even a 'developmental' guy. He'll have to polish things up as many young bigs do, but he should be pretty productive in his role from the get-go imo.

He might be somewhat ready for a vet laden team but we need guys who can protect our youth as it is especially Collins. Fernando can be great once he develops but for now, we need a quality vet which we currently don't have
Barnsey
Junior
And1: 88

Post#31 » by Barnsey » Sat Apr 6, 2019 7:11 am

I don't know why more people aren't talking about Fernando. I'm sure he has his question marks just like anyone else in this draft, but to me his foundations are as good as anyone in this draft (bar Zion). He's a strong and fluid athlete at 6'10". His shooting mechanics are nice. He carves out space easily and jumps quickly. He seems to play with aggression and fire. He has really nice body control/balance. He can attack closeouts with straight line drives and looks good doing it. He has some nice offensive moves in his arsenal and looks to be able to defend and rebound too.

Look at this:

^ Players with his kind of body control/fluidity are usually able to develop more quickly because they can add moves more easily.

Considering how many question marks every single player from 3 to 20 have, i don't understand why Fernando isn't in that mix. Am i missing something? Or is this a legitimate sleeper?

He's shooting 62% from 2pt range as a sophomore. His FT% is 77.9%. His TS% is 65.3%. He's averaging a double-double, and his per40 stats are: 18.1 pts, 14.2 rebs, 2.7 asts, 0.9 stls, 2.5 blks, 3.7 TO's.

There's huge upside there, I don't think it'd be unreasonable for him to be drafted between 5 and 10. And if it was me personally drafting 4th, i'd give Fernando a serious look.
Hell, if he develops at a good rate his peak season could end up being better than RJ Barrett's peak season.

EvanZ wrote:I think Fernando is a better Bam.

Bam was who came to my mind while watching him too.

The problem with the Harrell comparison that some are throwing around here is that the reason why Harrell comes off the bench is because of lack of height for the center position + lack of shooting. He makes up for lack of height with incredible athleticism, but you can't start him. He doesn't space the floor. Bruno wont have the height problem, and his shooting mechanics look promising, as does his FT%.
Twitter: @Barnsketball
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#32 » by doordoor123 » Sat Apr 6, 2019 7:17 am

He’s not Harrell at all, but he can play the same role, or the same role as Nene right away where he can just go in off the bench and score from the inside, pass out of the post, take mid-range jumpers, roll to the rim, defend the inside a little, rebound.
Benjamin Linus
Veteran
And1: 1,268

Post#33 » by Benjamin Linus » Sun Apr 7, 2019 3:18 pm

This guy feels like the typical player that finds their way to Houston and kills it
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by doordoor123 » Sun Apr 7, 2019 3:48 pm

Players that get double teamed night to night and still find production are so underrated and players that aren’t guarded by the best guards on the other team/aren’t doubled are overrated.
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#35 » by Coeur » Sun Apr 7, 2019 6:30 pm

I get worried a lot about drafting guys to these new age “small ball” positions. Is this guy a small ball center or can he play legit center or legit power forward.

I really like him as a center in today’s game. Until he matches up with the real legit sized centers. And that list is actually growing not shrinking right now.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#36 » by Ruzious » Mon Apr 8, 2019 1:48 pm

Coeur wrote:I get worried a lot about drafting guys to these new age “small ball” positions. Is this guy a small ball center or can he play legit center or legit power forward.

I really like him as a center in today’s game. Until he matches up with the real legit sized centers. And that list is actually growing not shrinking right now.

He's not small-ball, he's a legit center - probably stronger than most NBA centers. He does have a ways to go in developing his skills, but he can over-power small-ball bigs, and he can out-quick bigger centers. But when he's going 1 on 1, he's gotta be quicker in decision-making - otherwise, it's too easy for a second defender to come and strip the ball from him - a problem Okafor had. He's a very good foul shooter, so there is hope for him developing a good perimeter shot.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
clyde21
RealGM

Post#37 » by clyde21 » Mon Apr 8, 2019 4:41 pm

Coeur wrote:I get worried a lot about drafting guys to these new age “small ball” positions. Is this guy a small ball center or can he play legit center or legit power forward.

small? Bruno is a legit 6'10 with a 7-4 winspan and 9-1 standing reach.
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#38 » by Coeur » Mon Apr 8, 2019 4:47 pm

clyde21 wrote:

Adams, nurkic, embiid, gobert... yeah small. Just wondering. Not aware of the wingspan. He has big arms but is prototype pf size.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#39 » by clyde21 » Mon Apr 8, 2019 4:56 pm

Coeur wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Adams, nurkic, embiid, gobert... yeah small. Just wondering. Not aware of the wingspan. He has big arms but is prototype pf size.

so if he's not Joel Embiid size he's small?

what about Montrezl Harrell and Domantas Sabonis?
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#40 » by doordoor123 » Mon Apr 8, 2019 5:12 pm

Ruzious wrote:

He's not small-ball, he's a legit center - probably stronger than most NBA centers. He does have a ways to go in developing his skills, but he can over-power small-ball bigs, and he can out-quick bigger centers. But when he's going 1 on 1, he's gotta be quicker in decision-making - otherwise, it's too easy for a second defender to come and strip the ball from him - a problem Okafor had. He's a very good foul shooter, so there is hope for him developing a good perimeter shot.

A couple things with this. First, I actually don’t think he’s very strong. He gets pretty abused by stronger guys and gets less rebounds in those games. Second, he’s actually great at passing out of doubles.

Return to NBA Draft