ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Caris LeVert Thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Re: Official Caris LeVert Thread 

Post#1781 » by gigantes » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:57 pm

MGrand15 wrote:... Russell's been great. This idea that he carried us like James Harden to this record is ridiculous. Severely downplays all the contributions of everyone else on the team. Harris, Dinwiddie, Allen, Davis, Kurucs, etc. We're 3-5 since Dinwiddie went down with some terrible losses. That's what it looks like when one guy has to do it all on his own. ...

This is pretty much how I feel. And there's even a classic phrase that nicely describes players like Dinwiddie, LeVert and Russell-- "first among equals." Because as you say, without the essential contributions and cohesion the 1B's provide, like Harris, Allen & others, the effectiveness of the 1A's is seriously hampered.

In the same way, it seems strange to make this a Russell vs. LeVert debate without factoring in what a big part of the equation Dins has been. To be the guy who can provide an alternative, more athletic, floor-leading approach when DLo's having a tough night. (and vice-versa)

I think it can also be argued that without LeVert going down, both DLo & Dins probably wouldn't have blossomed to the extent they did during his absence. This is a great 'problem' to have... a fully-functional three-headed snake that can scorch you in any number of ways. Quite possibly a nightmare for some hapless top-seed to deal with, come the playoffs. :)
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#1782 » by Prokorov » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:07 pm

DarkXaero wrote:
MGrand15 wrote:Not surprised this argument is kicking off one day after LeVert comes back from a devastating almost career altering injury.

Russell's been great. This idea that he carried us like James Harden to this record is ridiculous. Severely downplays all the contributions of everyone else on the team. Harris, Dinwiddie, Allen, Davis, Kurucs, etc. We're 3-5 since Dinwiddie went down with some terrible losses. That's what it looks like when one guy has to do it all on his own.

It is cute that Prok keeps mentioning 11 points on 11 shots. Ignoring the 4 assists, 5 steals, no TOs, and positive +/- on a night we lost by 20. Ignoring how he actually looked on the floor.
This 100%.

Prokorov has an obvious agenda against Levert, which is really sad, because as a fan of the team, you should be ultimately rooting for all your players, rather than downplaying one. I'll admit that I wasn't high on D Lo before, but he has improved a lot since the first month or so of the season, and has played tremendously in 2019. I still have my question marks about him, but ultimately, what's best for this team is for D Lo to become a legit all star caliber player. So I'm delighted to see that start to happen. Levert is a tremendous talent as well, I don't care about his age, he showed dramatic improvement this season, after an offseason full of hard work and praise. But prokorov still has to come out with his "D Lo carried the Nets to ___ record in January, we were a losing team with Levert" crap.

i love how i "hate" levert because i said he wasnt the teams best player based on an 11 point perfomance in a blowout loss to the bulls.

I love levert. i was defending him last year when people wanted him cut after a terrible november.

The is an enormous double standard. the bar is set so much lower for levert. Russell acutally makes an all-star team, plays all year, helps us to where we are now, and its "whatever i didnt like him but i guess its ok". Levert shows improvement, plays good for 20-25 games and itz "ZOMG he is such an amaing player and future star"

If Russell was graded on the same scale here that levert is people would be calling him the next Jordan.

Levert has reached near Lin levels of overreaction while Dlo is getting marquis teague level hate in an all-star season. people talk about levert improving. yeah he has looked great clearly stepped up his game. Russell hasnt though i guess :roll:
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,844

Post#1783 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:28 pm

gigantes wrote:
MGrand15 wrote:... Russell's been great. This idea that he carried us like James Harden to this record is ridiculous. Severely downplays all the contributions of everyone else on the team. Harris, Dinwiddie, Allen, Davis, Kurucs, etc. We're 3-5 since Dinwiddie went down with some terrible losses. That's what it looks like when one guy has to do it all on his own. ...

This is pretty much how I feel. And there's even a classic phrase that nicely describes players like Dinwiddie, LeVert and Russell-- "first among equals." Because as you say, without the essential contributions and cohesion the 1B's provide, like Harris, Allen & others, the effectiveness of the 1A's is seriously hampered.

In the same way, it seems strange to make this a Russell vs. LeVert debate without factoring in what a big part of the equation Dins has been. To be the guy who can provide an alternative, more athletic, floor-leading approach when DLo's having a tough night. (and vice-versa)

I think it can also be argued that without LeVert going down, both DLo & Dins probably wouldn't have blossomed to the extent they did during his absence. This is a great 'problem' to have... a fully-functional three-headed snake that can scorch you in any number of ways. Quite possibly a nightmare for some hapless top-seed to deal with, come the playoffs. :)

And that's something that we should be elated about, and not sniping at each other over "whose team" this is. None of this stuff works with the backcourt steering the ship. It's not about just one guy.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Post#1784 » by DarkXaero » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:04 am

Prokorov wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:
MGrand15 wrote:Not surprised this argument is kicking off one day after LeVert comes back from a devastating almost career altering injury.

Russell's been great. This idea that he carried us like James Harden to this record is ridiculous. Severely downplays all the contributions of everyone else on the team. Harris, Dinwiddie, Allen, Davis, Kurucs, etc. We're 3-5 since Dinwiddie went down with some terrible losses. That's what it looks like when one guy has to do it all on his own.

It is cute that Prok keeps mentioning 11 points on 11 shots. Ignoring the 4 assists, 5 steals, no TOs, and positive +/- on a night we lost by 20. Ignoring how he actually looked on the floor.
This 100%.

Prokorov has an obvious agenda against Levert, which is really sad, because as a fan of the team, you should be ultimately rooting for all your players, rather than downplaying one. I'll admit that I wasn't high on D Lo before, but he has improved a lot since the first month or so of the season, and has played tremendously in 2019. I still have my question marks about him, but ultimately, what's best for this team is for D Lo to become a legit all star caliber player. So I'm delighted to see that start to happen. Levert is a tremendous talent as well, I don't care about his age, he showed dramatic improvement this season, after an offseason full of hard work and praise. But prokorov still has to come out with his "D Lo carried the Nets to ___ record in January, we were a losing team with Levert" crap.

i love how i "hate" levert because i said he wasnt the teams best player based on an 11 point perfomance in a blowout loss to the bulls.

I love levert. i was defending him last year when people wanted him cut after a terrible november.

The is an enormous double standard. the bar is set so much lower for levert. Russell acutally makes an all-star team, plays all year, helps us to where we are now, and its "whatever i didnt like him but i guess its ok". Levert shows improvement, plays good for 20-25 games and itz "ZOMG he is such an amaing player and future star"

If Russell was graded on the same scale here that levert is people would be calling him the next Jordan.

Levert has reached near Lin levels of overreaction while Dlo is getting marquis teague level hate in an all-star season. people talk about levert improving. yeah he has looked great clearly stepped up his game. Russell hasnt though i guess :roll:
None of us are that stupid, we can all see an agenda. This reply by you further proves that point.
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#1785 » by MGrand15 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:08 am

On the topic of LeVert, I was really impressed by how athletic he looked his first game back. He got to the rim at will. Ran the break like a gazelle. He caused a ton of chaos at the top of the zone.

I thought he would've looked a little slower, more hesitant. Kenny even threw him out there at PG for a stretch. Outside of fatigue (he missed a wide open layup at the end + all his jumpers we're short) dude looked super regular for a guy who just missed 3 months.

Dinwiddie is already doing on court drills with his left hand. I don't think he'll be out too much longer. Can't wait for the squad to be at full strength.
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#1786 » by gigantes » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:14 am

None of us are that stupid, we can all see an agenda. This reply by you further proves that point.

This is probably (almost certainly) NONE of my business, but--

I say we don't need to be automagically friends here, and a wild diversity of opinions amongst sports fans is pretty much the standard, but IMO it's a bad look when we attack each other along the lines of "you always say this, you always hated that guy, etc."

Like... get to the point, please. Just say what's really bothering you about the other person. Put it on the table please, even if it leads to a spell of awkwardness. Because in the end, things will be clearer, and there'll probably be less sniping than you might have feared. We can't all be friends after all, but respecting each others' differences is part of what keeps us together IMO.

Cheers y'all, and pardon my little RANT!
Curns13
Pro Prospect
And1: 267

Post#1787 » by Curns13 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:13 am

DarkXaero wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:This 100%.

Some people on here are that stupid though. Dlo is an actual all-star, like he’s in the actual team and yet there are people on here saying leVert is “clearly” our best player after a good 15 minutes, but his first 15 minutes in 2 months. Dlo is a **** all-star and the leader of a team that is the 6th seed in the East. Some people need to give that man his respect.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1788 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:25 pm

MGrand15 wrote:On the topic of LeVert, I was really impressed by how athletic he looked his first game back. He got to the rim at will. Ran the break like a gazelle. He caused a ton of chaos at the top of the zone.

I thought he would've looked a little slower, more hesitant. Kenny even threw him out there at PG for a stretch. Outside of fatigue (he missed a wide open layup at the end + all his jumpers we're short) dude looked super regular for a guy who just missed 3 months.

Dinwiddie is already doing on court drills with his left hand. I don't think he'll be out too much longer. Can't wait for the squad to be at full strength.

What caught my attention most was his activity in the passing lane on defense. We really missed having that kind of presence defensively, getting those extra possessions per game/transition baskets will go a long way.

His form still looked a bit wild on his long ball attempts. It's like he rushes those shots.

Prokorov
RealGM

Post#1789 » by Prokorov » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:44 pm

DarkXaero wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:This 100%.

if you think that "levert is clearly our best player and anyone who thinks otherwise needs their eyes checked" is accurate and "Russell is our best player, statisitcally, named to an all-star game, and we played well with him" is enormous hating on levert then YES... you are all that stupid
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#1790 » by Prokorov » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:46 pm

MGrand15 wrote:On the topic of LeVert, I was really impressed by how athletic he looked his first game back. He got to the rim at will. Ran the break like a gazelle. He caused a ton of chaos at the top of the zone.

yea i thought after maybe the fist 1 or 2 trips up court to get warm he as playing full speed with no fear... didnt seem to miss any speed or athleticism. i would think short shots would be more rust then anything lingering from his injury.

when we have all 3 PGs healthy we will be rolling. its one thing to miss 1 of those guys but 2 of them is rough... too much relying on napier as the #2 guy to score and create offense.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#1791 » by Prokorov » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:49 pm

Curns13 wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

Some people on here are that stupid though. Dlo is an actual all-star, like he’s in the actual team and yet there are people on here saying leVert is “clearly” our best player after a good 15 minutes, but his first 15 minutes in 2 months. Dlo is a **** all-star and the leader of a team that is the 6th seed in the East. Some people need to give that man his respect.

^ This....

It is like any time you try and give Russell any respect is either hating on someone else or "yeah ok but he takes too many jumpers
" or "he doesnt get enough FTs". On the flip end, the bar is really low for other guys, 1 week of good play and its "he is a star in the making!"

Russell ACTUALLY EARNED a spot as an All-star. he needs some respect for that... especially for what he did in January. he is 22 years old. People talk about Levert and dinwiddie will improve... russell is younger then both, he is far from a finished product.

Saying Russell is our best player is not an attack on anyone else on the Nets roster. it is a statistical fact.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#1792 » by Prokorov » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:51 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:

What caught my attention most was his activity in the passing lane on defense. We really missed having that kind of presence defensively, getting those extra possessions per game/transition baskets will go a long way.

His form still looked a bit wild on his long ball attempts. It's like he rushes those shots.

Yeah, for a stretch Kurucs was getting 1 or 2 of those a game... the jump the lane steal at the top of the circle. he has clearly hit a bit of a wall. We have seen levert jump lanes before but we havent seen him much in the zone... which kenny went to more heavily once he went down. i think Caris will eventually be a great fit in the zone, if not immedietly
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1793 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:06 pm

Curns13 wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

I don't think there was any reason to even bring up Russell in the first place. The negativity towards him from the same two people on here is tiring and just derails positive discussion. I'd rather be dissecting what we saw from Caris LeVert, which was some great activity overall from him on both ends of the floor.

I'm looking forward to him and Russell reestablishing their chemistry and finding that good balance like they did to start the season.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1794 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:18 pm

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Yeah, for a stretch Kurucs was getting 1 or 2 of those a game... the jump the lane steal at the top of the circle. he has clearly hit a bit of a wall. We have seen levert jump lanes before but we havent seen him much in the zone... which kenny went to more heavily once he went down. i think Caris will eventually be a great fit in the zone, if not immedietly

Yeah the Nets didn't really use the zone much before he went down, seeing in it pretty much should excite the coaching staff because any errant pass that comes through his area of the floor is getting picked off.

kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#1795 » by kamaze » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:42 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Yeah the Nets didn't really use the zone much before he went down, seeing in it pretty much should excite the coaching staff because any errant pass that comes through his area of the floor is getting picked off.

It's harder to get steals in the zone though.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#1796 » by MGrand15 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:52 pm

kamaze wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

Not for Caris LeGOAT
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1797 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:43 pm

kamaze wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't we in zone when LeVert got one or two of his steals the other night?

Prokorov
RealGM

Post#1798 » by Prokorov » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:29 pm

kamaze wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

is there data that supports this?
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,177

Post#1799 » by Keith Van Horn » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:15 pm

I think Caris needs to be running the point until Dinwiddie returns. Napier has been killing us in the losses, and there needs to be a limit on his play time. Caris is a proven ball handler and nightmare matchup.

keep the rotation:
Russell -- Levert
Harris -- Crabbe
Kurucs -- Carroll
Graham -- Rondae
Allen -- Davis
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#1800 » by kamaze » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:05 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
kamaze wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't we in zone when LeVert got one or two of his steals the other night?

I don't think so I could be wrong though.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton

Return to Brooklyn Nets