Welcome Tobias Harris

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Re: Welcome Tobias Harris 

Post#61 » by LloydFree » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:22 am

Negrodamus wrote:I think the rest of this season is a good stress test to see if Butler works with the team moving forward. When we are faced with adversity, is he going to be a thorn in our side? Will he start taking and making threes? A few questions that need answering before we sink a massive portion of our cap in an aging star with questionable fit, especially with Ben.

Butler works with the team fine, it's just that his skillset gets diminished returns playing with this group. If they don't get to the Finals with this group, I don't see them paying 35 million for what they're using him to do.

Tobias Harris is a different story. His game is a seemless fit. I think Ben Simmons can help him become a 25 ppg player.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Post#62 » by PhillyPhilly » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:44 am

LloydFree wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:I think the rest of this season is a good stress test to see if Butler works with the team moving forward. When we are faced with adversity, is he going to be a thorn in our side? Will he start taking and making threes? A few questions that need answering before we sink a massive portion of our cap in an aging star with questionable fit, especially with Ben.

Butler works with the team fine, it's just that his skillset gets diminished returns playing with this group. If they don't get to the Finals with this group, I don't see them paying 35 million for what they're using him to do.

Tobias Harris is a different story. His game is a seemless fit. I think Ben Simmons can help him become a 25 ppg player.

Disagree. We have a starting five who have a claim to being the top two best in the whole league. The front office have already indicated that they intend to extend both Butler and Harris and that is very smart because the likes of gs and Boston are likely to lose key players in the offseason, so we should be in a great position come next season. Brett Brown will be the sacrifice if we don't make the eastern finals imo, not Butler.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#63 » by Ericb5 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:21 am

eyeatoma wrote:
Ericb5 wrote:I think people wanting to get cute with Butler are just wasting their breath. He is worth a max contract, and it doesn’t matter what the cost is to the organization if they say that they are willing to pay for it. I’d like to pay as little as possible but if it comes down to it just give him the max.

It has already been announced that the salary cap in 2 years will be $17 million more than it is this year. Chances are that 2 years after that, it will be $17 million more than that.

Locking in these contracts now makes sense because the players are worth it. The league salary cap over the life of the contracts will grow enough to bring us back down below the tax line before too long.

We have to think of it in terms of opportunity costs. This summer will be the last summer where we have max money available potentially. What free agents out there can we get that are better than Butler, and Harris? We aren’t going to get Kawhi, or Durant, so we might as well just keep our own guys.

Resign JJ, and find role players with exceptions.
, and draft picks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hundred percent agree with this if Butler isn't a drama queen, accepts his role, and continues to be an elite defender. But right now, he's not playing like the player he is. He needs to be more aggressive in taking 3 pointers, and taking shots in general. At the time, I thought Butler would be our second leading scorer. But with the arrival of Harris, I could easily see him eclipsing Butler's numbers.

He hadn’t gotten completely acclimated to the offense before Harris arrived so the adjustment will continue for the rest of the season, and hopefully they are peaking by the end.

Here are the roles as I see it for the rest of the season, and beyond. If/when Simmons learns to shoot things may change.

Embiid: anchor of the defense, first option on offense. We run the offense through him through the post, and he takes a few 3’s a game.

Simmons: elite defense, runs the team, plays in the post for chunks of games, exploits mismatches when he can, runs the break.

Harris: average defender, spacer on offense, plays off of Embiid, plays in the PnR with Butler.

Butler: elite defense, plays in the PnR with Embiid, plays some point when Ben is in the post, isolation scoring down the stretch, and closer.

JJ: The only below average defender in the lineup, but he is still high effort. Elite shooter on offense, and will probably have fewer plays run for him, but he will get easier shots.

Getting all of that to work will take time, and with Ben not able to shoot right now it gums up the works a bit. If he could shoot, and force defenses to play him honestly in the pick and roll, then this offense would get way more efficient.

Even without that though, the spacing that is provided by JJ, and Harris will free things up tremendously.

Neither Butler nor Harris is likely to average over 20 ppg for us, but they will still see the ball plenty, and will have plenty of 30 point games. Butler will probably be the primary closer, but Harris will have his opportunities too.

If Butler is really about effort, accountability, and winning(I believe that he is) then he should be happy here. There is a big role in it for him. He is a flow of the game type of player where he just keeps grinding on you, and making plays.

It isn’t a pretty game offensively, but I never thought of him as having an ego offensively. Even the supposed challenge of Brown in the film session that national people make a big deal out of, he was correct. Brown started running more PnR’s with him, and things were getting better.

They figured out out to keep Embiid dominant on offense at the same time.

I don’t worry about this working long term, but I do wonder if they can get it all together before the season ends this year. Toronto, and Milwaukee got better too, and Boston still scares me. On paper, I think we have the best team in the east.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,000

Post#64 » by eyeatoma » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:27 am

Ericb5 wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
Ericb5 wrote:I think people wanting to get cute with Butler are just wasting their breath. He is worth a max contract, and it doesn’t matter what the cost is to the organization if they say that they are willing to pay for it. I’d like to pay as little as possible but if it comes down to it just give him the max.

It has already been announced that the salary cap in 2 years will be $17 million more than it is this year. Chances are that 2 years after that, it will be $17 million more than that.

Locking in these contracts now makes sense because the players are worth it. The league salary cap over the life of the contracts will grow enough to bring us back down below the tax line before too long.

We have to think of it in terms of opportunity costs. This summer will be the last summer where we have max money available potentially. What free agents out there can we get that are better than Butler, and Harris? We aren’t going to get Kawhi, or Durant, so we might as well just keep our own guys.

Resign JJ, and find role players with exceptions.
, and draft picks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hundred percent agree with this if Butler isn't a drama queen, accepts his role, and continues to be an elite defender. But right now, he's not playing like the player he is. He needs to be more aggressive in taking 3 pointers, and taking shots in general. At the time, I thought Butler would be our second leading scorer. But with the arrival of Harris, I could easily see him eclipsing Butler's numbers.

He hadn’t gotten completely acclimated to the offense before Harris arrived so the adjustment will continue for the rest of the season, and hopefully they are peaking by the end.

Here are the roles as I see it for the rest of the season, and beyond. If/when Simmons learns to shoot things may change.

Embiid: anchor of the defense, first option on offense. We run the offense through him through the post, and he takes a few 3’s a game.

Simmons: elite defense, runs the team, plays in the post for chunks of games, exploits mismatches when he can, runs the break.

Harris: average defender, spacer on offense, plays off of Embiid, plays in the PnR with Butler.

Butler: elite defense, plays in the PnR with Embiid, plays some point when Ben is in the post, isolation scoring down the stretch, and closer.

JJ: The only below average defender in the lineup, but he is still high effort. Elite shooter on offense, and will probably have fewer plays run for him, but he will get easier shots.

Getting all of that to work will take time, and with Ben not able to shoot right now it gums up the works a bit. If he could shoot, and force defenses to play him honestly in the pick and roll, then this offense would get way more efficient.

Even without that though, the spacing that is provided by JJ, and Harris will free things up tremendously.

Neither Butler nor Harris is likely to average over 20 ppg for us, but they will still see the ball plenty, and will have plenty of 30 point games. Butler will probably be the primary closer, but Harris will have his opportunities too.

If Butler is really about effort, accountability, and winning(I believe that he is) then he should be happy here. There is a big role in it for him. He is a flow of the game type of player where he just keeps grinding on you, and making plays.

It isn’t a pretty game offensively, but I never thought of him as having an ego offensively. Even the supposed challenge of Brown in the film session that national people make a big deal out of, he was correct. Brown started running more PnR’s with him, and things were getting better.

I don’t worry about this working long term, but I do wonder if they can get it all together before the season ends this year. Toronto, and Milwaukee got better too, and Boston still scares me. On paper, I think we have the best team in the east.

Seriously you think Butler and Harris won't average 20 points for us. Then they're being underutilized. Warriors have 3 players averaging over 20 ppg with two in the high 20s.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#65 » by Ericb5 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:35 am

eyeatoma wrote:
Ericb5 wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:

Seriously you think Butler and Harris won't average 20 points for us. Then they're being underutilized. Warriors have 3 players averaging over 20 ppg with two in the high 20s.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Well I suppose that I have to remind myself that scoring is up so I should adjust my expectations up a bit. Maybe both of them will be in the 18-22 range.

Their efficiency should go up so maybe it counter balances their touches going down a bit.

76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,416

Post#66 » by 76ciology » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:22 pm

There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#67 » by PhilasFinest » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:29 am

Tobias looks like a hell of a fit right now.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,573

Post#68 » by FireMorey » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:57 am

Excellent pickup. The best guy we could have gotten not named someone in the elite elite level of the NBA.
Winejk
Bench Warmer
And1: 432

Post#69 » by Winejk » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:07 am

Tobias Harris has been a godsend so far.

After two games there are a few things that have impressed me:

• He has no problem bringing the ball up court. He made some plays in transition that were lethal.

• He is smooth with the ball. He can put it on the deck and get to spots. He can maneuver a pick and roll. He can blow by people. He is definitely a 3 level scorer.

• He didn't have a reputation as a great defensive player, but he plays good defense. He stays in front of his man and there haven't been rotation problems. Looks like he is locked in and maybe that's because he doesn't have to carry the offensive load so he has energy to play defense.

• He really completes this team.
Xenonn
Ballboy
And1: 7

Post#70 » by Xenonn » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:11 am

Winejk wrote:Tobias Harris has been a godsend so far.

After two games there are a few things that have impressed me:

• He has no problem bringing the ball up court. He made some plays in transition that were lethal.

• He is smooth with the ball. He can put it on the deck and get to spots. He can maneuver a pick and roll. He can blow by people. He is definitely a 3 level scorer.

• He didn't have a reputation as a great defensive player, but he plays good defense. He stays in front of his man and there haven't been rotation problems. Looks like he is locked in and maybe that's because he doesn't have to carry the offensive load so he has energy to play defense.

• He really completes this team.

Love him and I think we're seeing just the tip of the iceberg
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,773

Post#71 » by Skates » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:10 am

If this is what an overlay looks like I’ll happily take it. Harris is a beautiful fit for this team now and into the future.
PhilasFinest
RealGM

Post#72 » by PhilasFinest » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:52 am

Im really impressed with how well he handles the ball.

He seriously looks like an efficient Carmelo Anthony out there. Dude just scores the ball so smoothly.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#73 » by LloydFree » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:04 am

PhilasFinest wrote:Im really impressed with how well he handles the ball.

He seriously looks like an efficient Carmelo Anthony out there. Dude just scores the ball so smoothly.

Right? When did Tobias Harris get this good? He looks like young Carmelo Anthony with defensive effort.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
PhilasFinest
RealGM

Post#74 » by PhilasFinest » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:19 am

LloydFree wrote:

Right? When did Tobias Harris get this good? He looks like young Carmelo Anthony with defensive effort.

Haha. IDK man....Ive seen him play and been impressed before, but sheesh he looks like a flat out stud out there in these 1st 2 games, and everything just looks effortless. Hopefully this is legit because if so, we can be scary good once he gets up to speed on the basics of this system.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,416

Post#75 » by 76ciology » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:22 am

PhilasFinest wrote:
LloydFree wrote:

Haha. IDK man....Ive seen him play and been impressed before, but sheesh he looks like a flat out stud out there in these 1st 2 games, and everything just looks effortless. Hopefully this is legit because if so, we can be scary good once he gets up to speed on the basics of this system.

I dont know if because we have Embiid, Ben and Butler to get deflections. But he’s actually been good in defense. He’s not getting steals or blocks but he’s been challenging multiple shots on a single possession and have been rotating very well. Like a poor man’s mbah on defense
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
NBA Moses
Pro Prospect
And1: 373

Post#76 » by NBA Moses » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:40 am

Dodged a bullet with LA strong arming 34 y.o. Lebron from us in the summer. You can see he's starting to breakdown/slowdown leaving the unlikely opportunity of Sixers trading for 26 y.o. Tobias Harris heading into prime of his career.

This guy looks like Grant friggin Hill. And you still have these radio mouthbreathers on WIP + 97.5 whining about giving up a pick and Shamet. :banghead: :banghead:
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,080

Post#77 » by Kobblehead » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:49 am

Other than the shooting stroke he somehow developed, it seems like all the signs were there for Tobias to develop into this offensive beast all along.

Look at him scoring effortlessly on and off the ball. Even handling on the break and eurostepping dudes in the lane.
mithrandir17
Veteran
And1: 1,609

Post#78 » by mithrandir17 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:20 am

the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,703

Post#79 » by the_process » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:58 pm

NBA Moses wrote:Dodged a bullet with LA strong arming 34 y.o. Lebron from us in the summer. You can see he's starting to breakdown/slowdown leaving the unlikely opportunity of Sixers trading for 26 y.o. Tobias Harris heading into prime of his career.

This guy looks like Grant friggin Hill. And you still have these radio mouthbreathers on WIP + 97.5 whining about giving up a pick and Shamet. :banghead: :banghead:

Woah there nelley. Just because Harris has looked better with more room to operate surrounded by stars doesn't forgive the Sixers for overpaying. Don't forget that this was a guy having a career year for the Clips... and they had zero interest in re-signing him. Zero.

That being said, he does look improved just by being surrounded with better talent. And he obviously fits very well.
Ben Simmons
Starter
And1: 1,077

Post#80 » by Ben Simmons » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:28 pm

the_process wrote:
NBA Moses wrote:Dodged a bullet with LA strong arming 34 y.o. Lebron from us in the summer. You can see he's starting to breakdown/slowdown leaving the unlikely opportunity of Sixers trading for 26 y.o. Tobias Harris heading into prime of his career.

Woah there nelley. Just because Harris has looked better with more room to operate surrounded by stars doesn't forgive the Sixers for overpaying. Don't forget that this was a guy having a career year for the Clips... and they had zero interest in re-signing him. Zero.

That being said, he does look improved just by being surrounded with better talent. And he obviously fits very well.

maybe the Clippers knew he was planning to leave anyway, and i saw one of their fans saying that :nod:
when you hear him speak he talks about how important it is for players to sacrifice personal stats because winning is the only thing that matters....and the Clippers weren't going to win anything so he'd probably want to leave.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers