Mylie10 wrote:Woj on Lopez buyout

Read on Twitter

Would be amazing.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Re: Free Agent Talk 

Post#582 » by Mylie10 » Fri Feb 8, 2019 4:26 am

The Bulls are trying to get Lopez to agree to a lower amount, but they will reach some agreement at some point.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,635

Post#583 » by Coxy » Fri Feb 8, 2019 4:41 am

Mylie10 wrote:The Bulls are trying to get Lopez to agree to a lower amount, but they will reach some agreement at some point.

I see Lopez as a starter for us for next season absolutely. I really hope it's a priority from our execs to really go after him as he'd just fit so nicely in the middle for us.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,135

Post#584 » by wco81 » Fri Feb 8, 2019 4:47 am

Lopez would look for deals above minimums and probably get one.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 3,954

Post#585 » by Mr B » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:52 pm

What is Golden States plan to resign KD and Klay? Obviously they will want to keep both and with their current cap situation that is going to be tough. I think you also have to factor in all the stuff that went on between KD and Draymond. Do you guys think the Warriors would be willing to part with Draymond by trading him for pure cap space?
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#586 » by Mylie10 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:20 pm

Mr B wrote:What is Golden States plan to resign KD and Klay? Obviously they will want to keep both and with their current cap situation that is going to be tough. I think you also have to factor in all the stuff that went on between KD and Draymond. Do you guys think the Warriors would be willing to part with Draymond by trading him for pure cap space?

The owner has stated they will pay what it takes to keep all 4 core guys.

With the new arena opening and all of the real estate they own around it, they are looking at making gigantic money. So paying to keep the core isn't as big a problem as people around the country think. The only real hinderance is the salary cap.

Warriors can pay Dues t the most and he has big-time investments in the area. If he leaves it won't be because of money.

Klay will get the max and the owner has said they'll pay it. Klay has stated he wants to be here. We shall see. I haven't heard a real reason to think he's moving on.

Draymond is a tougher one though. They will give him what he wants, but because of his age, body, and the way he plays, it could turn into a rough contract if his body starts to fail.

As for the KD Draymond thing, it appears to be water under the bridge. But who knows for sure, we're all guessing at this point.

If KD leaves the Warriors won't have bigimey to sign a replacement. That's when things could get interesting. The only way to create the cap space is to trade Iguodala, Livingston, or Draymond. That's really effs up the system. We pretty much only have the MLE (mid level exception) in order to add a guy who might have some impact.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
wco81
RealGM

Post#587 » by wco81 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:52 pm

I don't 'think Warriors can sign Klay or KD now even if they wanted to.

I think the free agency period has to start, after the season?

Also KD isn't a free agent until he formally exercises his player option. Again he may have to wait until after the season.

It might be that the team is waiting to see if they will win the title this year and deciding to go full max if they win on Klay. Also a small chance that Klay suffers a serious injury before July, which would be a reason to hold off.

IIRC, they gave Klay and Steph their second contract extensions during the season. But with UFA free agents, maybe the rules are different.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#588 » by Mr B » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:01 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
Mr B wrote:What is Golden States plan to resign KD and Klay? Obviously they will want to keep both and with their current cap situation that is going to be tough. I think you also have to factor in all the stuff that went on between KD and Draymond. Do you guys think the Warriors would be willing to part with Draymond by trading him for pure cap space?

With the new arena opening and all of the real estate they own around it, they are looking at making gigantic money. So paying to keep the core isn't as big a problem as people around the country think. The only real hinderance is the salary cap.

Warriors can pay Dues t the most and he has big-time investments in the area. If he leaves it won't be because of money.

Klay will get the max and the owner has said they'll pay it. Klay has stated he wants to be here. We shall see. I haven't heard a real reason to think he's moving on.

Draymond is a tougher one though. They will give him what he wants, but because of his age, body, and the way he plays, it could turn into a rough contract if his body starts to fail.

As for the KD Draymond thing, it appears to be water under the bridge. But who knows for sure, we're all guessing at this point.

If KD leaves the Warriors won't have bigimey to sign a replacement. That's when things could get interesting. The only way to create the cap space is to trade Iguodala, Livingston, or Draymond. That's really effs up the system. We pretty much only have the MLE (mid level exception) in order to add a guy who might have some impact.

I guess that is my point about the KD and Draymond “beef” or whatever it was. If KD says the only way he will stay is if they move Draymond I think a team like the Mavs could be interested. They have a $25 mil trade exception (and $30 mil in cap space) and would be able to take on Draymond’s entire contract without having to send anything back. Basically they could clear his entire $18.5 mil off their books. Now they would only be getting cap space. Is that something the Warriors brass would consider?
Mr B
RealGM

Post#589 » by Mr B » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:02 pm

wco81 wrote:I don't 'think Warriors can sign Klay or KD now even if they wanted to.

I think the free agency period has to start, after the season?

Also KD isn't a free agent until he formally exercises his player option. Again he may have to wait until after the season.

It might be that the team is waiting to see if they will win the title this year and deciding to go full max if they win on Klay. Also a small chance that Klay suffers a serious injury before July, which would be a reason to hold off.

IIRC, they gave Klay and Steph their second contract extensions during the season. But with UFA free agents, maybe the rules are different.

I was referring to the off season and not now. I’m looking way ahead.
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,552

Post#590 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:52 pm

Mr B wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:

I guess that is my point about the KD and Draymond “beef” or whatever it was. If KD says the only way he will stay is if they move Draymond I think a team like the Mavs could be interested. They have a $25 mil trade exception (and $30 mil in cap space) and would be able to take on Draymond’s entire contract without having to send anything back. Basically they could clear his entire $18.5 mil off their books. Now they would only be getting cap space. Is that something the Warriors brass would consider?

Why would they? I think this whole scenario is goofy, but do you think if we decided to trade Draymond, we genuinely couldn't get back anything of value? I personally think that is ridiculous, and isn't going to get us under the cap or anything anyway, so we'd want to get back talent where we could.

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
Mr B
RealGM

Post#591 » by Mr B » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:47 am

Chris Porter's Hair wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:

Why would they? I think this whole scenario is goofy, but do you think if we decided to trade Draymond, we genuinely couldn't get back anything of value? I personally think that is ridiculous, and isn't going to get us under the cap or anything anyway, so we'd want to get back talent where we could.

Oh they definitely could get something of value back but they likely are not going to get as much cap space back. There are only a few teams with the cap space this off season to take on Draymond’s entire contract without having to send anything back. The teams that can do it will be making an offer to KD, Kawhi, Kyrie and the other big name guys that will be available. The Mavs are probably the one team that could give the Warriors the entire $18.2 mil in cap space. It would basically be the exact same type of trade they made when they traded Bogut to the Mavs.
BW32
Lead Assistant
And1: 761

Post#592 » by BW32 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:35 am

Bogut was old and he was traded to make room for a former MVP, Draymond isn't getting salary dumped in any scenario.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#593 » by Mr B » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:17 am

BW32 wrote:Bogut was old and he was traded to make room for a former MVP, Draymond isn't getting salary dumped in any scenario.

Even if it means that is the only way to keep KD?
BW32
Lead Assistant

Post#594 » by BW32 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:29 am

Mr B wrote:
BW32 wrote:Bogut was old and he was traded to make room for a former MVP, Draymond isn't getting salary dumped in any scenario.

Oh they would trade him to keep KD, they just wouldn't salary dump him.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#595 » by Mr B » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:32 am

BW32 wrote:
Mr B wrote:

Gaining as much cap space as possible seems like the only reason to trade Draymond in that scenario. If you’re trading him and taking salary back that kind of defeats the purpose doesn’t it?
BW32
Lead Assistant

Post#596 » by BW32 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:00 am

Mr B wrote:
BW32 wrote:
Mr B wrote:

Gaining as much cap space as possible seems like the only reason to trade Draymond in that scenario. If you’re trading him and taking salary back that kind of defeats the purpose doesn’t it?

There is no capspace if you are keeping KD, just different levels of luxury tax.
statsman
Analyst
And1: 438

Post#597 » by statsman » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:48 am

BW32 wrote:
Mr B wrote:
BW32 wrote:Oh they would trade him to keep KD, they just wouldn't salary dump him.

There is no capspace if you are keeping KD, just different levels of luxury tax.

Pretty much. They either would trade him for another player(s), or the resulting TPE generated from trading him to a team with cap space would be used to find a replacement player and/or help for the bench.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#598 » by FNQ » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:39 pm

wco81 wrote:Lopez would look for deals above minimums and probably get one.

Getting enough coin from his current deal that if he took a 1yr min here, it wouldnt affect much. 27 games left, about 1/3 of the season, so the difference between a pro-rated 1.1m min deal (360k) vs a prorated 3m deal (1m), along with bonuses for making the playoffs, going to the Finals, winning the Finals - as well as joining a team thats favored to win the Finals - seems like a much more likely scenario than getting an extra 700k and not having as good a chance at a ring.
wco81
RealGM

Post#599 » by wco81 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:53 pm

FNQ wrote:

Getting enough coin from his current deal that if he took a 1yr min here, it wouldnt affect much. 27 games left, about 1/3 of the season, so the difference between a pro-rated 1.1m min deal (360k) vs a prorated 3m deal (1m), along with bonuses for making the playoffs, going to the Finals, winning the Finals - as well as joining a team thats favored to win the Finals - seems like a much more likely scenario than getting an extra 700k and not having as good a chance at a ring.

No I was responding to someone who said Robin Lopez would stay with the Warriors for a minimum for next season, if he came to them for the rest of this season and won the playoffs.

Brooks Lopez is playing for the minimum this year but I would bet he's earned a bigger contract for next season too.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#600 » by FNQ » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:55 pm

wco81 wrote:
FNQ wrote:

No I was responding to someone who said Robin Lopez would stay with the Warriors for a minimum for next season, if he came to them for the rest of this season and won the playoffs.

Brooks Lopez is playing for the minimum this year but I would bet he's earned a bigger contract for next season too.

Gotcha. Its not outside the realm of possibility he pulls a Varejao and stays, but AV was wrapping up his career and RoLo is still damned effective. Maybe we can get him on the Zaza special?

Return to Golden State Warriors