ImageImageImage

Stillwater's monster draft thread (consolidated)

Moderator: ijspeelman

Since these threads have been combined who you got at 5

Culver
43%
Sekou
4%
Hunter
14%
Hayes
4%
Porter K
7%
Garland
7%
Bitdatze
4%
White
No votes
Bol
7%
other
11%

Total votes: 28

tundraknight
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,915

Re: tank thread/ draft watch 

Post#61 » by tundraknight » Fri Feb 8, 2019 12:59 am

So now we have to root for the Rockets to lose some games so that 1st can slip into the late teens. I thinks it’s currently the 21st Pick.

If it doesn’t slip I’ll be content with early 20’s.

I’m just hoping someone with potential slips that far that’s on the Cavaliers big board.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#62 » by Stillwater » Fri Feb 8, 2019 1:26 am

tundraknight wrote:So now we have to root for the Rockets to lose some games so that 1st can slip into the late teens. I thinks it’s currently the 21st Pick.

If it doesn’t slip I’ll be content with early 20’s.

I’m just hoping someone with potential slips that far that’s on the Cavaliers big board.

There could be a couple of under-performing highly recruited Freshman like K.Porter & Grimes & probably some other targets who need a lot of development like Langford if we are in the late teens esp with so many having lower floors than usual despite moderately high ceilings and some teams opting for higher floor 2nd and 3rd year prospects sooner than usual.
I like non frosh NAW,Okpala,G.WIlliams and to some extent PJ Washington if he falls as the most likely Houston pick targets
with a couple frosh potentially falling or some projected there like Louis King and Tyler Herro as being viable options as well.
I don't know if who they draft early will factor into the 2nd pick but I mean if they get Barrett at 2 they are not taking a sg/sf at 19 or 20...There are some sleepers I like in the 20-25 range : T.Horton-Tucker ,Jalen McDaniels and Eric Pashcall and a couple deep sleepers if the pick ends up bad in the late 20's like Tyler Bey Collorado and Alpha Diallo Providence
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,065

Post#63 » by tidho » Fri Feb 8, 2019 8:32 pm

Stillwater wrote:Decided to throw up a new mock since we now have the Houston pick
:https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/draft_simulator/view/546440/
Okpala and Louis King are others I would think could be considered with 2nd of our picks, but if a 2-way player of NAW caliber falls it's a no brainer as he would be a great fit

NAW at 19????

I think he's going top 7.

Sign me up for that draft though. I'd even be ok with Zion if it meant we got NAW too.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#64 » by Stillwater » Fri Feb 8, 2019 9:19 pm

tidho wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Decided to throw up a new mock since we now have the Houston pick
:https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/draft_simulator/view/546440/
Okpala and Louis King are others I would think could be considered with 2nd of our picks, but if a 2-way player of NAW caliber falls it's a no brainer as he would be a great fit

NAW at 19????

I think he's going top 7.

Sign me up for that draft though. I'd even be ok with Zion if it meant we got NAW too.

Yeah NAW could go that high...but it looks like Culver is the more likely top 10 upperclassman along with potentially Hunter.
I think 20 is NAW floor so I included him although it would be a long shot.
Why would you just be ok with Zion only if we also got NAW ? Zion is insanely gifted and no matter how much people pick apart his shooting or lack thereof, nothing will stop this guy from dominating both ends of the floor at the next level.
Barrett for example has a long ways to go to be a decent outside shooter himself and takes plays off on defense a lot where as Zion is diving for balls and has the kind of will to win that this org loves.
tundraknight
Lead Assistant

Post#65 » by tundraknight » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:24 am

Bruno Fernando looks like a mean player that plays with toughness and is an extremely athletic rim runner.

I figured he could be a good eventual replacement for Tristan Thompson if he’s still available with the Rockets pick.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#66 » by Stillwater » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:14 am

^ maybe , I like him but I can't see it if we get Zion.
We need a wing to grow with Sexton.
If Barrett or similar taken early then you could make an arrangement for Fernando but I don't see Cavs going that direction (eventual TT replacement)this draft with Nance and Henson and Zizic under contract.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#67 » by Stillwater » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:33 pm

Reddish moved up a spot in my ranking after the game against Louisville yesterday.
If that is the player teams expect to get on a game to game basis though I think they will regret taking him higher than 5th
tundraknight
Lead Assistant

Post#68 » by tundraknight » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:43 am

^ you mentioned Ochai Agbaji in the draft board and it got me thinking how intriguing it could be seeing him in a Cavaliers jersey next season playing along side Sexton and Osman.

I need to see more of him though. I don’t want to over exaggerate too soon. But his overall potential cannot be denied.

This is hypothetically if we miss out on Zion and look at all other options.

Or a dream come true if we somehow got them both. (Trade up using the Rockets pick) for an example option.

Roll with a starting 5 of Sexton, Ochai Agbaji, Osman, Zion, and Love would be cool. But perhaps a pipe dream lol.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#69 » by Stillwater » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:25 am

tundraknight wrote:^ you mentioned Ochai Agbaji in the draft board and it got me thinking how intriguing it could be seeing him in a Cavaliers jersey next season playing along side Sexton and Osman.

I need to see more of him though. I don’t want to over exaggerate too soon. But his overall potential cannot be denied.

This is hypothetically if we miss out on Zion and look at all other options.

Or a dream come true if we somehow got them both. (Trade up using the Rockets pick) for an example option.

Roll with a starting 5 of Sexton, Ochai Agbaji, Osman, Zion, and Love would be cool. But perhaps a pipe dream lol.

Basically came out of left field after was unredshirted with KANSAS being shorthanded fbi probe injuries etc.
In the short stint he's played has proven to be that one guy nobody counted on.
Hope to see his role expand some because it sounds like reports about him in HS are that there's a lot more left unseen about his complete game.
I'd take him pretty high right now just based on the small sample
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#70 » by Stillwater » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:46 pm

Tyrese Haliburton is gaining some 1st round consideration imo and might be a nice pickup with the Houston pick to solidify the back court some more, he has great size as a point and can play off ball. is a solid passer and defender etc.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#71 » by Stillwater » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:23 am

Zion mild knee sprain per K...
But they haven't done x-rays
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#72 » by Stillwater » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:50 pm

There is/was so much separation between Zion and others that even if he shuts it down, I think he remains the clear best option at #1... however I don't believe all orgs including CLE will see it that way if they have legit new concerns about him having a higher risk for injury given his size athletic ability etc
He could be #2 off the board is all I'm saying under a couple of scenarios if it's a minor sprain/strain etc but he does not plays out the season.
Now if he's fine and plays again in college with no issues, he's a lock at #1 . but if he comes back and and completely tears his knee up... He's going 4th or later given how much of his game is predicated on his athleticism.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#73 » by Stillwater » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:46 pm

Worst case scenario If Zion returns to play for Duke and then tears up his knee ( I certainly don't wish that on him)
I have him falling to 4th at the latest. Somebody might take him at 2 or 3 but I highly doubt the Cavs would.
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/draft_simulator/view/551350/
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#74 » by Stillwater » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:29 pm

Here is a full mock intentionally leaving out some names that probably should declare like Fernando,Hoard,Agbaji and Jalen Smith but may not.
Also expecting some of the freshman I have in the draft like Horton Tucker and Haggans to pull out opening spots up for others.
I have the Cavs picking up a couple of 2nd rounders for a JR Smith trade to Philly for instant cap savings for them only paying his partial and dumping a player to the cavs on a longer deal.
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/draft_simulator/view/553312/
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#75 » by Stillwater » Sun Mar 3, 2019 10:23 pm

Jalen Smith Maryland is definitely growing on me as a solid option late first
tundraknight
Lead Assistant

Post#76 » by tundraknight » Mon Mar 4, 2019 12:46 am

Unfortunately the Rockets 1st just got slightly less valuable going from the 21st pick to the 22nd pick after they just beat the Celtics.

Combine that with a Bulls loss and Cavaliers win made this a crappy night.

The Cavaliers now only have a 2 game lead instead of a 3 game lead on the Bulls in the bottom 3 lottery standings.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#77 » by Stillwater » Mon Mar 4, 2019 8:16 pm

tundraknight wrote:Unfortunately the Rockets 1st just got slightly less valuable going from the 21st pick to the 22nd pick after they just beat the Celtics.

Combine that with a Bulls loss and Cavaliers win made this a crappy night.

The Cavaliers now only have a 2 game lead instead of a 3 game lead on the Bulls in the bottom 3 lottery standings.

I'm not a t all concerned about the Cavs pick falling out of the top 5 tbh. top 3 still a strong possibility as well. As far as the Houston pick, it's looking meh, but the prospect value after the lottery is pretty on par to 25 so unless they end the season better than their current projection of 5th in the West I think the pick still lands around 20-23
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#78 » by Stillwater » Wed Mar 6, 2019 9:35 pm

Here is my list of some interesting prospects that could be in play with the Houston pick if it's at the end of the first btwn 26-30.
where higher ranked targeted prospects like Horton Tucker,AJ Lawson or Okeke are probably gone.
Alpha Diallo Prov. Jr. SF 6'7" 211
Jalen Smith Maryland FR C 6'10" 195
Kenny Wooten Ore SO PF 6'9" 200
Tyler Bey Col SO PF 6'7" 206
Marek Dolezaj SYR SO SF 6'10" 180
Sagaba Konate WV Jr PF 6'8" 260
Kerry Blackshear VT rsJr pf/c 6'10" 260
Isaiah Joe ARK FR SG 6'5" 167
Chaundee Brown ; wake forest So sg 6'5" 216.
Mfiondu Kabengele FLA ST. rsJr. PF 6'10" 250
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#79 » by Stillwater » Sat Mar 9, 2019 5:29 pm

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/252900/Ja-Morant-Hits-Game-Winner-In-Front-Of-Suns-Cavs-And-Lakers-Executives
Probably nothing, since Altman is going to alot of games, but this is interesting none the less.
I could see a Morant Sexton back court being solid although slightly undersized.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,130

Post#80 » by jbk1234 » Sat Mar 9, 2019 7:07 pm

I think we need to look at a back up rim protector with the Rockets pick. I prefer to let Henson and TT walk after next season (assuming they're not traded). Things got really ugly when Nance went down last night.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers