ImageImageImage

2019 Off-Season Questions

Moderator: THE J0KER

NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,596

2019 Off-Season Questions 

Post#1 » by NYG » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:08 pm

1. Who are your free agents and what percentage would you put on them re-signing?

2. What are your team needs and the overall short term goals of the team?

3. Is there any reason your coach may not be in place next year?

4. Who are you willing to trade?

THE J0KER wrote:
psimanic1 wrote:When are draft workouts/summer league/contract negotiations with your players starting? Can we get some "schedule" maybe in first post or something?

Here are some important upcoming dates:

2018-19:
May 14 -- NBA Draft Lottery 2019 (Chicago)
May 14-19 -- NBA Draft Combine 2019 (Chicago)
June 10 -- NBA Draft Early Entry Entrant Withdrawal Deadline
June 16 -- The Finals 2019 latest possible date
June 20 -- NBA Draft 2019
June 24 -- Last day for potential restricted free agents to exercise player options (+NBA awards show)
June 29 -- Last day for decisions on the player, team and early termination options, unless individual contracts specify otherwise

2019-20:
July 1 -- July moratorium begins. Free agents can begin reaching verbal agreements with teams. Restricted free agents can sign an offer sheet. Teams can begin signing players to rookie scale contracts, minimum salary contracts, and two-way contracts.
July 6 -- July moratorium ends. Teams can begin officially signing players, extending players, and completing trades. The two-day period for matching an RFA offer sheet signed during the moratorium begins.
July 5-15 -- MGM Resorts NBA Summer League 2019 (Michael Porter Jr debut?)
July 13 -- Last day for teams to unilaterally withdraw qualifying offers to restricted free agents.
July 15 -- Last day for teams to issue required tenders to unsigned first-round picks; those players become free agents on July 16 if not tendered.
August 31 -- Last day for teams to waive players and apply the stretch provision to their 2018/19 salaries.
August 31 - September 15 -- FIBA World Cup (Jokic, Murray, Craig, Juancho)
September 5 -- Last day for teams to issue required tenders to unsigned second-round picks; those players become free agents on September 6 if not tendered.
-- Late September (specific dates TBA) -- Training camps open.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Re: 2019 Off-Season Questions 

Post#2 » by skywalker33 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:16 pm

NYG wrote:1. Who are your free agents and what percentage would you put on them re-signing?

UFA's are PF Trey Lyles, >10%. PF Tyler Lydon > 5% and PG Isaiah Thomas ??% . Also have a TO on PF Paul Millsap, we'll try to renegotiate a lower longer option to reduce his cap number.

Like to move SF Porter Jr into the starting lineup, SG Barton back to the bench and PF Vanderbilt to backup/learn from Millsap. Sign draft-n-stash Cancar to a rookie contract and prepare the cap for Murray, Beasley and Juancho signings in 2020

To stay, Malone needs to be able to win at least the first round of the playoffs and through the second round (or WCF ?) by next year.

Realistically, the only untouchables are Jokic and Murray, although I would hate to trade away MPj and/or Vanderbilt unless we got an AD type talent in return

This may be debatable among other Nuggets fans but that's my version of a reasonable offseason
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#3 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:34 am

Free Agents
Millsap's team option should be denied and have him re-sign for a lower deal. I'd love to keep him but it's not essential IMO.
Lyles would be nice to keep but is not essential.
Lydon would be nice to keep but is not essential
That's 3 of our PFs plus we'll have Vanderbilt, Hernangomez, Porter - all of whom can play at least some PF (plus Plumlee).
I'd say we need to keep one of Millsap-Lyles-Lydon.

Isaiah Thomas is very unlikely to want to re-sign with Denver since we have four solid guards already.

Team Needs
We are set at center and both guard slots. We have lots of forwards, but we haven't yet found our long-term starters (although we think we have some possibilities). If the right opportunity came for the right forward ... sure, we'd take it but if it gives up a guard or center to get that forward, they we might have to adjust a little.

In other words, I'd be happy with just trying our current forwards next year; especially if we sign Cancar to take Isaiah Thomas' slot.

Short Term Goals
1. Win at least two rounds of the playoffs (this year or next).
2. Play in the WCF (next year or the next).

Longer Term Goals
3. Play in the finals.
4. Win a championship.

Coach
He'll be measured by playoffs. Must make playoffs this year and truly expected to win first round.

Willing to Trade
I'm willing to trade any Nugget - but the price would be crazy-high for Jokic (maybe Curry & Durrant :lol: ).
Trying to stay somewhat realistic, I'd be willing to trade any of our forwards except Porter, Vanderbilt, & Cancar. My asking price for one of our centers or guards would be too high.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#4 » by The Rebel » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:48 pm

NYG wrote:1. Who are your free agents and what percentage would you put on them re-signing?

Millsap has a team option which most of us assume they will opt out of, I however do not think he comes back. I give him a 50% chance of coming back.
Lyles is a restricted free agent, I think they sign and trade him for a 2nd, and I give him about a 10% chance of coming back
Lydon they declined the option on, I doubt he is back and will likely end up in the dleague or Europe next year. I give him a 1% chance of coming back (still think he can be a solid role player in the NBA but he has a ways to go)
Thomas is unrestricted but I do not see him coming back due to lack of available minutes 1% chance he comes back.

We need starting forwards, however they may be on the team long term with Vanderbilt, Juancho, and MPJ as well as Cancar reportedly coming from Europe next year.

2nd round of the playoffs should be the goal this year, with a move toward contention next.

Baring an epic collapse I really do not see anyway Malone is not back for at least 1 more year, even if we fail to get out of the 1st round.

It depends heavily on who is coming back. We have a really young and good team, with some parts that can be changed out with backups that should be starting quality next year if they continue on their development paths, but they will cost you.

Will Barton, he is a point of heavy contention between Nuggets fans, but I do not like his overall fit with the offense and think he would be much better off playing in a drive and kick type system or a system where he can be the primary ball handler off the bench.

U hova
Pro Prospect
And1: 481

Post#5 » by U hova » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:34 pm

As above, Paul Millsap is on a team option that the ownership is 100% going to use. I do not expect him back given his production, although maybe there was a verbal agreement when he signed 2 years ago that we'd give him the last 30 million over a long-term contract (4/30 million)... it hasn't worked out in retrospect but it's still crazy to me that we were able to sign a 4-time all-star on such a team friendly deal back then.

Lyles is a free agent. The Front Office will most likely bring him back on a 3 year 38 million deal - Although many of us have high hopes reserve PFs Vanderbilt / MPJr, they will see a squad that just made the playoffs for the first time in 6 years, and will most likely not gamble the position on them.

Lydon is gone. He was not Anunoby.

Thomas is most likely looking for a contract we will not give. Monte Morris has shown a lot of promise this year as a back-up guard, and there is no need to go out of our way to re-sign him, ignoring what he may bring to the table.

We might need to overhaul our training staff given how Millsap, Harris, and basically every one of our forward's seasons have gone these past 4 or 5 years. We're more or less set in terms of roster depth, and it's a matter of trimming overgrown branches.

There should be reasons, I'm not sure if the front office acknowledges them.

Every coach has favorites they overplay. Malone is no different. The higher ups have most likely been whispering into his year to push for the playoffs since 3 years ago, but at the core we have been a young team still focusing on developing our players, and Malone's favoritism has gotten in the way of experimenting with our newer players for too long. We have seen, thanks to injuries, what Malik Beasley, Monte Morris, Jamal Murray, Juancho, etc. can do. All of them had to wait for vets to go down before showcasing that they deserve a rotation spot. I do not expect to see Jared Vanderbilt for more than 3 minute stretches during this year, unless everyone ahead of him sprains their ankles simultaneously.

Malone preaches defense but we give up something like the league's most 3pt attempts adjusted for pace - there is a clear disconnect between the type of defense required in the modern NBA and what Malone thinks is good defense and what actually results in good defense. This has always been a matter of scheme and not effort as he has outright said often.

He also does not seem to believe in statistical data or modern NBA philosophies given the type of lineups he runs. Favoritism mentioned above may not necessarily be an issue if the line-ups produced, but they do not produce. He had an obsession with post-ups / perimeter isos despite us being one of the worst teams in the league at that play-type last season. It wasn't until he stopped calling plays that we got the wind in the sails to make a playoff push again.

4. Who are you willing to trade?[
Everyone can be traded but the strongest part of our roster this year was our bench depth before injuries made them starters.
skywalker33

Post#6 » by skywalker33 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:15 pm

U hova wrote:
As above, Paul Millsap is on a team option that the ownership is 100% going to use. I do not expect him back given his production, although maybe there was a verbal agreement when he signed 2 years ago that we'd give him the last 30 million over a long-term contract (4/30 million)... it hasn't worked out in retrospect but it's still crazy to me that we were able to sign a 4-time all-star on such a team friendly deal back then.

Lyles is a free agent. The Front Office will most likely bring him back on a 3 year 38 million deal - Although many of us have high hopes reserve PFs Vanderbilt / MPJr, they will see a squad that just made the playoffs for the first time in 6 years, and will most likely not gamble the position on them.

Lydon is gone. He was not Anunoby.

Thomas is most likely looking for a contract we will not give. Monte Morris has shown a lot of promise this year as a back-up guard, and there is no need to go out of our way to re-sign him, ignoring what he may bring to the table.

We might need to overhaul our training staff given how Millsap, Harris, and basically every one of our forward's seasons have gone these past 4 or 5 years. We're more or less set in terms of roster depth, and it's a matter of trimming overgrown branches.

There should be reasons, I'm not sure if the front office acknowledges them.

Every coach has favorites they overplay. Malone is no different. The higher ups have most likely been whispering into his year to push for the playoffs since 3 years ago, but at the core we have been a young team still focusing on developing our players, and Malone's favoritism has gotten in the way of experimenting with our newer players for too long. We have seen, thanks to injuries, what Malik Beasley, Monte Morris, Jamal Murray, Juancho, etc. can do. All of them had to wait for vets to go down before showcasing that they deserve a rotation spot. I do not expect to see Jared Vanderbilt for more than 3 minute stretches during this year, unless everyone ahead of him sprains their ankles simultaneously.

Malone preaches defense but we give up something like the league's most 3pt attempts adjusted for pace - there is a clear disconnect between the type of defense required in the modern NBA and what Malone thinks is good defense and what actually results in good defense. This has always been a matter of scheme and not effort as he has outright said often.

He also does not seem to believe in statistical data or modern NBA philosophies given the type of lineups he runs. Favoritism mentioned above may not necessarily be an issue if the line-ups produced, but they do not produce. He had an obsession with post-ups / perimeter isos despite us being one of the worst teams in the league at that play-type last season. It wasn't until he stopped calling plays that we got the wind in the sails to make a playoff push again.

4. Who are you willing to trade?[
Everyone can be traded but the strongest part of our roster this year was our bench depth before injuries made them starters.

So, Millsap is gone and Lyles gets a new 3yr contract ??? We have to agree to disagree here :lol:

U hova
Pro Prospect
And1: 481

Post#7 » by U hova » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:48 pm

That's just how I see things playing out, given our circumstances.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by The Rebel » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:51 pm

I don't see Lyles getting a 3 year deal from us, with Cancar wanting to come over we need a starting PF, and I don't think the front office can fool themselves into thinking that guy is Lyles. I could see them bringing him back on a 1 year QO type deal but not longer than that.
nayyyyyyyyo09
Junior
And1: 68

Post#9 » by nayyyyyyyyo09 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:29 pm

The Rebel wrote:I don't see Lyles getting a 3 year deal from us, with Cancar wanting to come over we need a starting PF, and I don't think the front office can fool themselves into thinking that guy is Lyles. I could see them bringing him back on a 1 year QO type deal but not longer than that.

The evidence is visible that Lyles is a great player, but only when given enough time for him to play. Seems like he rushes shots and plays sloppy on both sides of the floor when he gets limited time. Maybe we sign a 1 and 1 TO do that we can trade him along with some other assets to acquire AD or K Love or even a small splash player like Larry Nance Jr or Nemanja Bjelica who are cost controlled for a few years to come.
skywalker33

Post#10 » by skywalker33 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:58 pm

While I like Lyles as a player, her really doesn't fit well with Jokic. He's the only player on the roster who has a negative rating when playing with the Joker. Like Slay said, only way I can see him coming back is on a 1/1TO contract with the sole intention of trading him. He has proven he can score and rebound, but in building this team for the future, you have to be able to integrate with the "Jokic offense".

As for Millsap not being resigned, his value to the team (even while in decline) is strong given his defensive presence. We have enough shooter to offset his diminishing offensive output but no one to replace his defensive contributions. Also, given his age and the Nuggets ascent, it's easy to think that PM can be agreeable to a restructuring of a lower cap hit deal, one that still can benefit the Nuggets while we find/develop out PFOTF

RRFB
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,259

Post#11 » by RRFB » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:38 pm

I was really high on Lyles coming into the season but he's really shown that he can't be depended on. I don't think he's worth keeping around long-term, especially when there's younger guys behind him who have more potential and are better fits.

If it were up to me...
-Offer Lyles the QO or let him walk
-Resign Millsap to a 2-3 year deal
-Let MPJ/Vanderbilt/Juancho fight over the backup SF/PF minutes
-Bring Cancar over, possibly on a two-way
-Fill IT and Lydon's roster spots with cheap veteran depth
-Keep the books clean for potential extensions for Murray/Beasley/Juancho
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by The Rebel » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:36 am

RRFB wrote:I was really high on Lyles coming into the season but he's really shown that he can't be depended on. I don't think he's worth keeping around long-term, especially when there's younger guys behind him who have more potential and are better fits.

If it were up to me...
-Offer Lyles the QO or let him walk
-Resign Millsap to a 2-3 year deal
-Let MPJ/Vanderbilt/Juancho fight over the backup SF/PF minutes
-Bring Cancar over, possibly on a two-way
-Fill IT and Lydon's roster spots with cheap veteran depth
-Keep the books clean for potential extensions for Murray/Beasley/Juancho

I think Cancar is doing well enough in Europe to command a multi year minimum deal, but he will be worth it.

Other than that I like it but who are the 2 veterans you would target?
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by The Rebel » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:41 am

skywalker33 wrote:While I like Lyles as a player, her really doesn't fit well with Jokic. He's the only player on the roster who has a negative rating when playing with the Joker. Like Slay said, only way I can see him coming back is on a 1/1TO contract with the sole intention of trading him. He has proven he can score and rebound, but in building this team for the future, you have to be able to integrate with the "Jokic offense".

As for Millsap not being resigned, his value to the team (even while in decline) is strong given his defensive presence. We have enough shooter to offset his diminishing offensive output but no one to replace his defensive contributions. Also, given his age and the Nuggets ascent, it's easy to think that PM can be agreeable to a restructuring of a lower cap hit deal, one that still can benefit the Nuggets while we find/develop out PFOTF

Don't get me wrong, I think the front office will want to bring Millsap back and I think for the right cap hit it makes a lot of sense. I just look at it as someone like Atlanta is going to overpay him this year to go be a veteran mentor for their team for a year or two. With his primary home and multiple businesses there I can see him taking a big 2 year deal to go back since his family lives there full time. Unless we are a contender, and by that I mean the Warriors break up and we have a good showing in the playoffs this year.
skywalker33

Post#14 » by skywalker33 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:31 pm

The Rebel wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:While I like Lyles as a player, her really doesn't fit well with Jokic. He's the only player on the roster who has a negative rating when playing with the Joker. Like Slay said, only way I can see him coming back is on a 1/1TO contract with the sole intention of trading him. He has proven he can score and rebound, but in building this team for the future, you have to be able to integrate with the "Jokic offense".

Don't get me wrong, I think the front office will want to bring Millsap back and I think for the right cap hit it makes a lot of sense. I just look at it as someone like Atlanta is going to overpay him this year to go be a veteran mentor for their team for a year or two. With his primary home and multiple businesses there I can see him taking a big 2 year deal to go back since his family lives there full time. Unless we are a contender, and by that I mean the Warriors break up and we have a good showing in the playoffs this year.

Definitely possible and ATL is one of the few teams that scenario makes sense. But by the same token, and I'm not calling him a ring-chaser, but Paul has an opportunity here to get a ring, something ATL won't while he's still young enough to contribute. Also, not signing him could set us back in our own development, surely create a big hole next to Jokic as JV isn't ready, Lyles doesn't fit well and Juancho just seems like he may never get there as a starter IMO.

Powder Blue
Analyst
And1: 642

Post#15 » by Powder Blue » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:14 pm

Have ya'll be watching this team lately? Milsap seems pretty essential to me. If he walks that's a huge hole to fill. I know he's getting up there in age but we have no other potential defensive anchor on this team. I'd like to see him back on a cheaper 2-3 year deal.

Lyles--Meh, plenty of other Lyles type guys out there. I'd prefer more of a physical PF, we have the scoring covered.

Lydon-- Not sure why he's ever even mentioned on this board, dude is not an NBA player.

With the emergence of Beasley, the potential of MPJ plus growth in Monte and Murray Barton can go, he's a ball-stopping chucker that no longer fits or is needed. I'd think just about everyone other than Jokic could be had in the right deal, not sure it makes sense to move MPJ not knowing what you have.

I'd be okay flipping a few wings for a big, esp if Milsap leaves.

IT probably walks for a bigger deal, as stated we need to keep out books clean for extensions in the coming years.
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,543

Post#16 » by Alatan » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:29 am

I hope Lyles walks. I dont like his fit on the team and he is not that good anyway. Lydon is irrelevant. Millsap is a very nice glue guy. Hope we keep him on a restructured deal around 10 million a year for 2 more years.

The only guy that is untouchable is Jokic.

I might be in the minority here but id love to trade Murray in a deal for a star player. I dont think he will improve that much and id like to cash in on him while his value is high. We have too many solid players and not enough minutes. We need to make a consolidation trade for a great player.

Phili is a nice trade partner in theory since they would love to have a part of our depth and shooting while they might want to let go of Butler. The problem is A Butler has a lot of mileage on him and is getting up there in age while wanting a big contract and B he has some character issues that might kill our chemistry.

A better deal might be some kind of a rebuild package to NOP for Jrue or the same for Washington and Beal.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,515

Post#17 » by THE J0KER » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:28 am

I have a new master-plan for the upcoming Denver offseason :evil:

We should wait for Draft Lottery (May-14), and see which team will get #1 pick (aka the forward Zion Williamson). The goal is to prepare draft-day blockbuster trade to get previous best forward from that team. Our package should involve Barton for sure, and the best player we can offer is Harris. Part of the package can be Plumlee, Juancho, and of course 2021 1st.

- If Chicago gets Zion, send big offers for Markkanen or Otto Porter
- If Atlanta gets Zion, send a big offer for John Collins
- If Phoenix gets Zion, offer Barton+Juancho for Warren
- If Cleveland gets Zion, maybe send some offer for Kevin Love
- If New York gets 1st pick, just forget about this plan
Powder Blue
Analyst
And1: 642

Post#18 » by Powder Blue » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:18 pm

Alatan wrote:I hope Lyles walks. I dont like his fit on the team and he is not that good anyway. Lydon is irrelevant. Millsap is a very nice glue guy. Hope we keep him on a restructured deal around 10 million a year for 2 more years.

I might be in the minority here but id love to trade Murray in a deal for a star player. I dont think he will improve that much and id like to cash in on him while his value is high. We have too many solid players and not enough minutes. We need to make a consolidation trade for a great player.

Phili is a nice trade partner in theory since they would love to have a part of our depth and shooting while they might want to let go of Butler. The problem is A Butler has a lot of mileage on him and is getting up there in age while wanting a big contract and B he has some character issues that might kill our chemistry.

A better deal might be some kind of a rebuild package to NOP for Jrue or the same for Washington and Beal.

I don't hate the idea of flipping Murray but I do think he will improve as a player...but not while playing alongside Barton. Barton takes the ball out of Murray's hands and it doesn't get back to Murray unless he's rebounding one of Barton's misses.
Alatan
Assistant Coach

Post#19 » by Alatan » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:59 pm

THE J0KER wrote:I have a new master-plan for the upcoming Denver offseason :evil:

We should wait for Draft Lottery (May-14), and see which team will get #1 pick (aka the forward Zion Williamson). The goal is to prepare draft-day blockbuster trade to get previous best forward from that team. Our package should involve Barton for sure, and the best player we can offer is Harris. Part of the package can be Plumlee, Juancho, and of course 2021 1st.

- If Chicago gets Zion, send big offers for Markkanen or Otto Porter
- If Atlanta gets Zion, send a big offer for John Collins
- If Phoenix gets Zion, offer Barton+Juancho for Warren
- If Cleveland gets Zion, maybe send some offer for Kevin Love
- If New York gets 1st pick, just forget about this plan

I dont like any of those proposals.
Chicago isnt trading Markkanen even if he was a good fit next to Jokic and Otto Porter is way overpaid for what he brings.
Collins is overrated and we could also get a player that does 80% of what he does.
Warren is ok but plays no D and we NEED a 3nD guy on the wing.
Love is an albatross contract. Next year he will be regarded in the same way as Parsons and Anderson.
Alatan
Assistant Coach

Post#20 » by Alatan » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:02 am

Powder Blue wrote:
Alatan wrote:I hope Lyles walks. I dont like his fit on the team and he is not that good anyway. Lydon is irrelevant. Millsap is a very nice glue guy. Hope we keep him on a restructured deal around 10 million a year for 2 more years.

I don't hate the idea of flipping Murray but I do think he will improve as a player...but not while playing alongside Barton. Barton takes the ball out of Murray's hands and it doesn't get back to Murray unless he's rebounding one of Barton's misses.

I dont like Murray because he isnt a consistent shooter, doesnt have gread awareness or playmaking skills, doesnt have good burst to blow by defenders and his handle and shot creating skills arent anything special. He isnt long enough to guard wings and some 2s and in general isnt a good defender.

So basically he is an Eric Gordon type player.

Return to Denver Nuggets