Colin Kaepernick would only "consider" playing in the AAF for $20 million or more

Moderator: bwgood77

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Colin Kaepernick would only "consider" playing in the AAF for $20 million or more 

Post#1 » by HMFFL » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:02 pm

It's hardly a surprise for a player who believes he is being illegally blackballed from the NFL and made $14.3 million his most recent year in the league. The AAF, of course, pays nowhere near those wages. Kap to a developmental league was never going to happen. He does not need to develop.

Source: Associated Press

https://www.apnews.com/699ba621f5fb414d8708513ea294e49e

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,711

Re: Colin Kaepernick would only 

Post#2 » by Pacers_Freak » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:46 pm

Lol they only play 10 games. That's 2 million a game which would be like making 32 mil in the NFL.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#3 » by HMFFL » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:51 pm

From my understanding every player received 250k for the season.
Pacers_Freak wrote:Lol they only play 10 games. That's 2 million a game which would be like making 32 mil in the NFL.

Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,711

Post#4 » by Pacers_Freak » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:03 pm

HMFFL wrote:From my understanding every player received 250k for the season.
Pacers_Freak wrote:Lol they only play 10 games. That's 2 million a game which would be like making 32 mil in the NFL.

I heard 75k on the radio today. Doesn’t mean that’s right. Maybe QBs make 250k?
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,218

Post#5 » by wco81 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:10 pm

NFL and Colin Kaepernick and Eric Reid settle their grievances.

https://www.apnews.com/29731483b46647c596fc9a6de0e3ef48

They just announced a 3-year deal for Reid with the Panthers.

Looks like these actions are all coordinated.

There's speculation that the players settled for something like $60-80 million. But the NFL made confidentiality of the settlement a part of the deal.

So the confidentiality clause could indicate a big sum. If CK is claiming lost wages for 2 years, he could have been demanding $20-30 million a year.

While a lot of money, it's nothing to the NFL and they might have considered it worth it just to get rid of this case, which can only generate bad publicity for the league.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,570

Post#6 » by LightTheBeam » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:24 pm

wco81 wrote:NFL and Colin Kaepernick and Eric Reid settle their grievances.

There's speculation that the players settled for something like $60-80 million. But the NFL made confidentiality of the settlement a part of the deal.

So the confidentiality clause could indicate a big sum. If CK is claiming lost wages for 2 years, he could have been demanding $20-30 million a year.

While a lot of money, it's nothing to the NFL and they might have considered it worth it just to get rid of this case, which can only generate bad publicity for the league.

What a hypocrite. I thought this was bigger than the money, it was about doing what was right for minorities? Guy took the check, and agreed to stop talking about it.

Cant help but feel disappointed in him. Hes not very good, and regardless of where you stood on the argument at least he was holding true to his cause. Now hes a sell out who took the check.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,218

Post#7 » by wco81 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:55 pm

If he had a smoking gun, like emails between at least two NFL owners agreeing not to sign him because of the anthem issue, and he took the money, then sure he might be a hypocrite.

More likely, he had a very hard case to prove and when the NFL offered a large enough sum, his lawyer probably told him that that is probably the best outcome he could hope for.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,405
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#8 » by E-Balla » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:03 am

RipPizzaGuy wrote:

What a hypocrite. I thought this was bigger than the money, it was about doing what was right for minorities? Guy took the check, and agreed to stop talking about it.

Cant help but feel disappointed in him. Hes not very good, and regardless of where you stood on the argument at least he was holding true to his cause. Now hes a sell out who took the check.

His protest had to do with racism. The collusion case had to do with him losing his career because the owners colluded against him. How is he a hypocrite? How does not settling help further his cause?

The fact you think this is selling out shows how much of a bad idea it would've been to continue. It would've made of easier for people like you to ignore his cause and pretend he was criticizing the NFL when he wasn't.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#9 » by LightTheBeam » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:10 am

E-Balla wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:

His protest had to do with racism. The collusion case had to do with him losing his career because the owners colluded against him. How is he a hypocrite? How does not settling help further his cause?

The fact you think this is selling out shows how much of a bad idea it would've been to continue. It would've made of easier for people like you to ignore his cause and pretend he was criticizing the NFL when he wasn't.

If what he is claiming is true and the NFL really did collude to keep him out of the sport, dont you think it would have made a far more social impact to prove that was actually the case?

I think he couldnt prove a damn thing. Teams didn't want to sign him because hes just not that good, and it was in the NFLs interest to make this go away. It was also in Colins best interest to take the money he never would have earned and run.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#10 » by E-Balla » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:55 am

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:

If what he is claiming is true and the NFL really did collude to keep him out of the sport, dont you think it would have made a far more social impact to prove that was actually the case?

Umm... No? WTF social impact would that have made that it already hasn't? We already know he was blackballed. No one that doesn't hate his protest would ever say he doesn't belong in the league.

I think he couldnt prove a damn thing. Teams didn't want to sign him because hes just not that good, and it was in the NFLs interest to make this go away. It was also in Colins best interest to take the money he never would have earned and run.

The fact that he got past discovery to get them in court for them to settle for a reported $60-80 million says otherwise. You exposed yourself right here as a Kaep hater. Regardless of how you feel about him he's clearly better than most backup quarterbacks and many starting quarterbacks.

If he had nothing the NFL would've had the case thrown out like they tried, and failed, to do. I guarantee things came out in discovery they didn't want public because if those reports are right and he got 60-80 mil he had no chance of winning that in court.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#11 » by LightTheBeam » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:47 am

E-Balla wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:
E-Balla wrote:His protest had to do with racism. The collusion case had to do with him losing his career because the owners colluded against him. How is he a hypocrite? How does not settling help further his cause?

Umm... No? WTF social impact would that have made that it already hasn't? We already know he was blackballed. No one that doesn't hate his protest would ever say he doesn't belong in the league.

The fact that he got past discovery to get them in court for them to settle for a reported $60-80 million says otherwise. You exposed yourself right here as a Kaep hater. Regardless of how you feel about him he's clearly better than most backup quarterbacks and many starting quarterbacks.

If he had nothing the NFL would've had the case thrown out like they tried, and failed, to do. I guarantee things came out in discovery they didn't want public because if those reports are right and he got 60-80 mil he had no chance of winning that in court.
I watched him play multiple years. He did well under Harbaugh surrounded by elite talent at every position. The second Harbaugh left and his talent was retired, it became beyond clear he had no business being a starting qb. His accuracy is absolutely horrendous, he has no ability to read beyond his first option. His style of play was phased out of the league, and his talent wasnt near the guys who succeeded.

Its easy to stand up for him because you believe in his cause. But when you tear all that down and simply look at the player you can see why teams werent signing him. Sure he might be better than Nathan Peterman, but hes not good enough to warrant a distraction. Hes not turning a bad team good, or an good team great.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using RealGM mobile app
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#12 » by E-Balla » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:04 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:

I watched him play multiple years. He did well under Harbaugh surrounded by elite talent at every position. The second Harbaugh left and his talent was retired, it became beyond clear he had no business being a starting qb. His accuracy is absolutely horrendous, he has no ability to read beyond his first option. His style of play was phased out of the league, and his talent wasnt near the guys who succeeded.

Its easy to stand up for him because you believe in his cause. But when you tear all that down and simply look at the player you can see why teams werent signing him. Sure he might be better than Nathan Peterman, but hes not good enough to warrant a distraction. Hes not turning a bad team good, or an good team great.

Yeah... Because of his protest. Based on on the field play he should be in the league. Statistically and logistically he belongs in the NFL.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#13 » by LightTheBeam » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:29 pm

E-Balla wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:
E-Balla wrote:Umm... No? WTF social impact would that have made that it already hasn't? We already know he was blackballed. No one that doesn't hate his protest would ever say he doesn't belong in the league.

Yeah... Because of his protest. Based on on the field play he should be in the league. Statistically and logistically he belongs in the NFL.
Lol so you just keep blowing smoke when really the truth is you just support his cause. Melo statistically belongs in the league. Hes much better stats that half the players, why hasnt he been signed?

Kaepernick sucks. I love when fans of teams who would lose their mind if they signed kaepernick defend him. "He should have a job, you know not on my team but how about the (enter xyz bad team), hes much better than so and so"

Give me a break. Go watch the film on his last year and talk to me. Hes an overrated hack whose been on his couch the last 3 years.

Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,425

Post#14 » by Cactus Jack » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:39 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:I watched him play multiple years. He did well under Harbaugh surrounded by elite talent at every position. The second Harbaugh left and his talent was retired, it became beyond clear he had no business being a starting qb. His accuracy is absolutely horrendous, he has no ability to read beyond his first option. His style of play was phased out of the league, and his talent wasnt near the guys who succeeded.

Lol so you just keep blowing smoke when really the truth is you just support his cause. Melo statistically belongs in the league. Hes much better stats that half the players, why hasnt he been signed?

Kaepernick sucks. I love when fans of teams who would lose their mind if they signed kaepernick defend him. "He should have a job, you know not on my team but how about the (enter xyz bad team), hes much better than so and so"

Give me a break. Go watch the film on his last year and talk to me. Hes an overrated hack whose been on his couch the last 3 years.

Remember when Kaep vs. Wilson was an actual debate lol? :wink:
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#15 » by E-Balla » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:40 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:I watched him play multiple years. He did well under Harbaugh surrounded by elite talent at every position. The second Harbaugh left and his talent was retired, it became beyond clear he had no business being a starting qb. His accuracy is absolutely horrendous, he has no ability to read beyond his first option. His style of play was phased out of the league, and his talent wasnt near the guys who succeeded.

Totally. And you're not saying that just because he took a knee against police brutality I'm sure.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#16 » by LightTheBeam » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:50 pm

E-Balla wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:
E-Balla wrote:Yeah... Because of his protest. Based on on the field play he should be in the league. Statistically and logistically he belongs in the NFL.

Totally. And you're not saying that just because he took a knee against police brutality I'm sure.

See thats the difference between us. I'm a Niners fan, I couldnt care less what he decided to protest or not protest.. All I cared about was results on the field. The guy went 3-16 in his last 19 starts, he couldnt make a 2nd read, he couldnt throw an easy wide open 15 yard pass. His one above average ability was running and even then he got sacked an insane amount of times.

Id love if someone did give him a chance so that after 3 games EVERYONE who shares your mindset could see hes not a quality NFL QB.

Again I find it so funny that everyone thinks he deserves a job, but nobody wants him on their team. Football is a results oriented game. Maybe hes better than the average backup QB, but the distraction that comes with him from the media just isn't worth that of a backup QB.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,538

Post#17 » by Dominator83 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:17 am

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:Lol so you just keep blowing smoke when really the truth is you just support his cause. Melo statistically belongs in the league. Hes much better stats that half the players, why hasnt he been signed?

See thats the difference between us. I'm a Niners fan, I couldnt care less what he decided to protest or not protest.. All I cared about was results on the field. The guy went 3-16 in his last 19 starts, he couldnt make a 2nd read, he couldnt throw an easy wide open 15 yard pass. His one above average ability was running and even then he got sacked an insane amount of times.

Id love if someone did give him a chance so that after 3 games EVERYONE who shares your mindset could see hes not a quality NFL QB.

Again I find it so funny that everyone thinks he deserves a job, but nobody wants him on their team. Football is a results oriented game. Maybe hes better than the average backup QB, but the distraction that comes with him from the media just isn't worth that of a backup QB.

For sure man. What kap did was by far the most clever thing i've ever seen an athlete pull. He had become irrelevant to the point that he lost his starting job to Blaine freakin Gabbert of all people. So then he did the protest thing to make himself relevant again. Then turns it into a huge payday for himself when he was past the point of making more than backup money.

Now that being said, do i think his protest played a role in him being kept out? probably. But thats because he was protesting AND he wasn't very good. The juice wasn't worth the squeeze. If he did that while still bring a prime time Quarterback, he would have easily gotten offers despite the distraction. Thats how sports works. Look at how fast Kareem Hunt got another job. I know its a different issue, but the point is, if you have the talent, someone will sign you regardless of off the field issues
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#18 » by LightTheBeam » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:41 am

Dominater wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:
E-Balla wrote:Totally. And you're not saying that just because he took a knee against police brutality I'm sure.

For sure man. What kap did was by far the most clever thing i've ever seen an athlete pull. He had become irrelevant to the point that he lost his starting job to Blaine freakin Gabbert of all people. So then he did the protest thing to make himself relevant again. Then turns it into a huge payday for himself when he was past the point of making more than backup money.

Now that being said, do i think his protest played a role in him being kept out? probably. But thats because he was protesting AND he wasn't very good. The juice wasn't worth the squeeze. If he did that while still bring a prime time Quarterback, he would have easily gotten offers despite the distraction. Thats how sports works. Look at how fast Kareem Hunt got another job. I know its a different issue, but the point is, if you have the talent, someone will sign you regardless of off the field issues

Couldnt agree with you more. +1 post
soxfan2003
RealGM
And1: 4,178

Post#19 » by soxfan2003 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:28 am

Dominater wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:
E-Balla wrote:Totally. And you're not saying that just because he took a knee against police brutality I'm sure.

The mainstream media covered the whole CK protest about 10 times more than they should have given the athletes didn't add much discussion to a debate that has been ongoing for years and will continue to be ongoing for many years. I would have not covered it much after a week or two unless players were willing to truly engage on the issue. The issues no matter where you stand on them are complex so needed to be debated at local/national levels.

I am no fan of CK method of protest when it is done by people that haven't served in war at least and some of his takes but at the same time I sure do think athletes have the same rights as every other high profile person to let their views be known. I would have preferred CK simply take a knee after/before national anthem which still would have gotten a decent amount of attention if other players followed and more importantly be wiling to debate people who disagree with him about the scope of the problem. (Very few would dispute that in a nation of 1 million plus officers that their isn't some bad apples in law enforcement that act on prejudice based upon race or other prejudices.)

I may be very wrong but I don't think Kaepernick had bad self serving intentions at least at first but he got a lot of money for a QB that realistically was probably looking at 2-5 million a year as a backup for a few years if all of this never happened. If he did do well as a backup given another chance to start then he could have gotten a nice 2 year deal. He was a good fit when Niners had a super talented team but they obviously no longer had that at the end. Jimmy G. did show what a very skilled QB near the top of his game can do for the 49ers.

I doubt there was collusion among all 30 or so NFL teams but the NFL probably has enough embarrassing info that could have been a factor. And the much, much bigger factor I suspect was just bad publicity for the league. I mean lets say NFL wins which I suspect they would have...there may have been a lot of people protesting or upset at the outcome.

Both Tebow and Kaepernick got less opportunities by the NFL for similar reasons. They were media distractions. And when you are distraction, the NFL will go with someone else unless you talent is clearly worth that distraction. Seattle was willing to give him a tryout until he said he would guarantee standing for national anthem.

I am no fan of David Stern at all but I think he got it right in the sense, the NFL should have fined these players after a warning -- if the CBA allowed -- but at the same time I actually do think a few teams should have stepped up to the plate and given Kaepernick a chance to compete for a backup or even starting job. Give him incentive laden deal.

Roger Goodell is awful and should be fired. Ridiculously overpaid. A bunch of very competent people would do that job for a million a year. Goodell should have actually intervened on behalf of CK after the protests largely died down and asked which teams were willing to take on CK. If no team willing to step up to the plate, maybe give a team that does an extra roster spot and not have the money paid to him for a year count against the cap.

Can't do that when everyone protests but I do think CK case was different.
kyrv
RealGM
And1: 3,771

Post#20 » by kyrv » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:25 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:

I'm very surprised, although I guess I shouldn't have been.

If CK's goal was to get a check, he 'won'. If his goal was to prove collusion and make the NFL unearth some icky stuff, he lost.

-------

I've heard a few places, that rumor about the asking price for AAF is not true. Seems pretty outlandish really. But maybe he had his agent, just throw a huge number out they won't meet.

Two years is a long time to go without playing football. To get a chance to play in a minor league, I think a lot of guys would jump at that chance. But, they would have to have confidence they would be good of course.

Return to The General NFL Board