Trade Ideas Thread: Deadline Edition

Moderators: Dadouv47, retrobro90

Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,018

Re: Trade Ideas Thread: Deadline Edition 

Post#621 » by Dadouv47 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:38 pm

I'm just happy we were able to sign a buy out player but I don't give a *** about him :(
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#622 » by Dadouv47 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:40 pm

Well at least we have someone to play if 2pat or Noel get hurt. Morris can't replace Adams or Grant.
Thunder Up
Senior
And1: 197

Post#623 » by Thunder Up » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:51 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:I'm just happy we were able to sign a buy out player but I don't give a *** about him :(

if he's healthy, you should.. he will individually make our bench significantly improved, and if by some miracle Burton is playable and Roberson comes back in the next few weeks we suddenly have a legit bench and 9 deep rotation
SecondTake
Veteran
And1: 1,493

Post#624 » by SecondTake » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:15 pm

Is he a better defender than Pat?
JustOneFix
Analyst
And1: 408

Post#625 » by JustOneFix » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:27 pm

This is awesome man. If Burton pans out, the second unit of him, Schroder, Noel and Morris should be a killer.
JustOneFix
Analyst
And1: 408

Post#626 » by JustOneFix » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:54 pm

F*** small ball! We should play our own, big ball! Westbrook, George, Morris, Grant and Adams!
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,487

Post#627 » by Kizz Fastfists » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:51 am

Balkman32 wrote:Markieff Morris to the Thunder! I am pumped about this one!

This is the one they needed. He'll be the best PF on the roster. A very good addition. Now if only they could find a wing, because after Ferguston and PG they don't have anyone you want to see playing in the playoffs.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#628 » by Dadouv47 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:17 am

Kizz Fastfists wrote:
Balkman32 wrote:Markieff Morris to the Thunder! I am pumped about this one!

This is the one they needed. He'll be the best PF on the roster. A very good addition. Now if only they could find a wing, because after Ferguston and PG they don't have anyone you want to see playing in the playoffs.

He's not better than Grant this year but he's a great addition for sure.

Don't think there's an average wing out there :(
Osirus89
Starter
And1: 2,016

Post#629 » by Osirus89 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:56 am

I just saw the Markieff signing. That's amazing news! Both in terms that a player actually picked the Thunder and the fact that he can actually help the team. I guess guys were doing some serious recruiting behind the scenes.

The NO game drives home another point. Now that we have Markieff Morris, this teams needs a buyout wing badly. Have to hold out hope that a guy like Temple or someone of that ilk gets bought out before March 1. Burton is a depth guy not a rotation guy. Diallo should never see the floor in the postseason. Ferguson tries hard, but guys like Holiday just knock him around too easily. Any match up against a team with a big 2 guard will eat his lunch. Nader can't guard wings at all. So the SG depth is essentially Ferguson and ....nothing. The FO needs to rid itself of this idiotic optimism that Andre will be able to come back and help this season.
The man hasn't even been able to do on-court work yet. How the hell is he going to be able to play meaningful minutes in a playoff series?

If a wing guy is acquired, the team will be able to go 9 deep in the PO. Starters - Schroder/Buyout Wing/ Morris/Noel. That's fine for a playoff rotation. But without that guy, the playoffs will be brutal. One guy makes all the difference for this team. Dre is not that guy Presti, so guys better get to recruiting any wings that get bought out.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#630 » by Dadouv47 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:02 am

Osirus89 wrote:I just saw the Markieff signing. That's amazing news! Both in terms that a player actually picked the Thunder and the fact that he can actually help the team. I guess guys were doing some serious recruiting behind the scenes.

The NO game drives home another point. Now that we have Markieff Morris, this teams needs a buyout wing badly. Have to hold out hope that a guy like Temple or someone of that ilk gets bought out before March 1. Burton is a depth guy not a rotation guy. Diallo should never see the floor in the postseason. Ferguson tries hard, but guys like Holiday just knock him around too easily. Any match up against a team with a big 2 guard will eat his lunch. Nader can't guard wings at all. So the SG depth is essentially Ferguson and ....nothing. The FO needs to rid itself of this idiotic optimism that Andre will be able to come back and help this season.
The man hasn't even been able to do on-court work yet. How the hell is he going to be able to play meaningful minutes in a playoff series?

If a wing guy is acquired, the team will be able to go 9 deep in the PO. Starters - Schroder/Buyout Wing/ Morris/Noel. That's fine for a playoff rotation. But without that guy, the playoffs will be brutal. One guy makes all the difference for this team. Dre is not that guy Presti, so guys better get to recruiting any wings that get bought out.

That's the Rich Paul connexion (Noel/Ferguson/Markieff)
Dn4sty
Analyst
And1: 1,905

Post#631 » by Dn4sty » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:42 am

Osirus89 wrote:I just saw the Markieff signing. That's amazing news! Both in terms that a player actually picked the Thunder and the fact that he can actually help the team. I guess guys were doing some serious recruiting behind the scenes.

I’m sure what the Thunder say publicly about Roberson and what they believe privately are far different. I’m guessing that they would make a play for a wing like you mentioned if one comes available via buyout
Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

Post#632 » by Balkman32 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:24 pm

A couple of wings that could end up on the buy out market Wilson Chandler (hasn't played in LA since the trade, but Doc said yesterday he will return to practice next week), Jamal Crawford (he has done what he is there to do, now its time to give him the playoffs) & JR Smith (Thank you, next...) Any other guys out there. The best one might be Andre Roberson. We just need to get him back.
SecondTake
Veteran

Post#633 » by SecondTake » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:51 pm

Honestly with Adams history of playing like trash during the second half of seasons I'm starting to wonder if we should flip him for shooters and a backup C, while moving Noel to a starting role in the off season on a much cheaper contract.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,167

Post#634 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:57 pm

SecondTake wrote:Honestly with Adams history of playing like trash during the second half of seasons I'm starting to wonder if we should flip him for shooters and a backup C, while moving Noel to a starting role in the off season on a much cheaper contract.

How do you plan on doing this and when?
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#635 » by Dadouv47 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:11 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
SecondTake wrote:Honestly with Adams history of playing like trash during the second half of seasons I'm starting to wonder if we should flip him for shooters and a backup C, while moving Noel to a starting role in the off season on a much cheaper contract.

I won't do this because I don't think Noel is a starter (or at least an average one) in this league and Adams is great for our team when he isn't completely tired but you could easily sign Noel for 3years/36 millions this offseason and trade Adams for a relatively good package (not great because of his salary but still).

I would only do this if it's part of a bigger plan to get an elite wing and a good back up C.
SecondTake
Veteran

Post#636 » by SecondTake » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:41 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:

I won't do this because I don't think Noel is a starter (or at least an average one) in this league and Adams is great for our team when he isn't completely tired but you could easily sign Noel for 3years/36 millions this offseason and trade Adams for a relatively good package (not great because of his salary but still).

I would only do this if it's part of a bigger plan to get an elite wing and a good back up C.

Adams is better than Noel and I would guess that Noel would be gassed by the second half of the season as a starter too. The benefit of this would be that Noel could be had a lot cheaper with (assumption here) relatively similar impact to Adams and we could get multiple better fitting assets in exchange for Adams.

Any decline between Adams and Noel could be more than offset by getting either;

1. A few decent shooters and 3&D players for Adams with a decent backup C either included or signed in free agency
2. An elite wing (like Jrue, but not specifically Jrue since we could never get him) and either a backup C or additional shooters.

Backup C's are pretty cheap relative to wings, so you could sign a guy that can clean the glass and play the PNR offense relatively cheap. Even a Zubac level guy would do the job assuming we upgrade our wings.

I would consider doing this in the off-season depending on how we do in the playoffs. Adams contract might be an issue in terms of getting good offers though.

But if you're getting paid as much as Adams it's not acceptable to start dropping off like clockwork around Feb every season. The guy was begging for the all star break as far back as late December...
Woerzboerg
Sophomore
And1: 71

Post#637 » by Woerzboerg » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:43 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:

OKC can't give Noel such a contract because they don't have Bird-rights. They could offer him the tax-MLE at a maximum.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#638 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:57 pm

SecondTake wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:How do you plan on doing this and when?

Adams is better than Noel and I would guess that Noel would be gassed by the second half of the season as a starter too. The benefit of this would be that Noel could be had a lot cheaper with (assumption here) relatively similar impact to Adams and we could get multiple better fitting assets in exchange for Adams.

1. A few decent shooters and 3&D players for Adams with a decent backup C either included or signed in free agency
2. An elite wing (like Jrue, but not specifically Jrue since we could never get him) and either a backup C or additional shooters.

Backup C's are pretty cheap relative to wings, so you could sign a guy that can clean the glass and play the PNR offense relatively cheap. Even a Zubac level guy would do the job assuming we upgrade our wings.

I would consider doing this in the off-season depending on how we do in the playoffs. Adams contract might be an issue in terms of getting good offers though.

But if you're getting paid as much as Adams it's not acceptable to start dropping off like clockwork around Feb every season. The guy was begging for the all star break as far back as late December...

The only way to give Noel more than the MLE is to get OKC below the salary cap and sign Noel with actual cap space. Even if you could trade Adams for Jrue, that doesn't open up any cap space for Noel.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
SecondTake
Veteran

Post#639 » by SecondTake » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:03 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
SecondTake wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:

The only way to give Noel more than the MLE is to get OKC below the salary cap and sign Noel with actual cap space. Even if you could trade Adams for Jrue, that doesn't open up any cap space for Noel.

Might need a verbal agreement with Noel that we give him 1 year on MLE and then a bigger contract the following the year. Doubt he takes it but maybe if he likes the team.

I've been against trading Adams forever now, but it's becoming hard to ignore the way he starts tanking every year at clockwork right when you see him. If you play him less minutes then you need a third center and his salary becomes an even bigger problem. If you play him the number of minutes his salary should command then he turns to toast by all star break.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#640 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:12 pm

Spoiler:
SecondTake wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
SecondTake wrote:

Might need a verbal agreement with Noel that we give him 1 year on MLE and then a bigger contract the following the year. Doubt he takes it but maybe if he likes the team.

I've been against trading Adams forever now, but it's becoming hard to ignore the way he starts tanking every year at clockwork right when you see him. If you play him less minutes then you need a third center and his salary becomes an even bigger problem. If you play him the number of minutes his salary should command then he turns to toast by all star break.

Why do we need a third center? Noel is currently averaging less than 15mpg. We don't need a third center to lessen Adams' minutes. We need Billy to understand basic load management and give another 5-7mpg to Noel.

Also, Nerlens sign the minimum this year to specifically rebuild his value. There is no reason for him to do it again. Unless something major happens then re-signing on the cheap again might be dumber than declining $17 million for Dallas.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder