ImageImageImageImageImage

Marcus Stroman wants a long-term deal, more veterans, Vladdy on Opening Day

Moderator: JaysRule15

dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,497

Marcus Stroman wants a long-term deal, more veterans, Vladdy on Opening Day 

Post#1 » by dagger » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:27 pm

Marcus Stroman held court with the media today, saying he wants the team to sign more veterans, wants to spend the rest of his career here, would like a long-term extension and hasn't been offered one. Then someone - probably the same source everyone spoke to - said Stroman has been offered a long-term deal.

So rev up the drama - Marcus is not going into the sunset quietly.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/marcus-stroman-expresses-desire-stay-blue-jays/

DUNEDIN, Fla. – Marcus Stroman took a flamethrower to the tranquil opening of Toronto Blue Jays training camp, saying his desire to remain with the club is unrequited, pushing for Vladimir Guerrero Jr., to open the season in the majors and saying the veteran presence from recent years is a crucial element that’s been lost.

The lightning-rod right-hander addressed media for 20 minutes Sunday after declining to do so a day earlier following his first side session, even declining a team official’s attempt to cut short the session.

He spoke forcefully about his game, his role on the team and his passion for Toronto, expressing disappointment that he hasn’t been offered a long-term deal. As for his relationship with the front office, he replied simply, “it’s business, man. It is what it is.”

“Mentally, I’m ready to perform, wherever it may be,” he continued. “I want to play here. I’ve been wanting to play here for a long time. I’ve been waiting to sign a long-term deal. I’ve been offered nothing. There’s no one that embodies the city of Toronto more than me. And you’re not going to find guys who want to come in and embody the city of Toronto because it’s just not natural, and I’ve taken a liking to that myself, and that’s been organic and natural, it’s not something I had to do. That’s something I wanted to do. I’ve always wanted to be here.

“I want to pitch in the American League East, I want to pitch against the Yankees, I want to pitch against the Red Sox. People shy away from that, people go and hide in other leagues. I’m here. I don’t care who’s in the box. I’ll face everybody. I couldn’t care less. I think that’s the type of mantra and type of confidence the city of Toronto needs.”

An industry source subsequently refuted Stroman’s claim that he hadn’t been offered a multi-year contract, only adding to the intrigue.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,460

Re: Marcus Stroman wants a long-term deal, more veterans, Vladdy on Opening Day 

Post#2 » by Brinbe » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:01 pm

Lol, well yeah. We've had old-ass teams the past few years! Probably amongst the oldest in the league. So of course things will be younger as we rebuild.

Raise the minimum, slash service time/or disencentivise teams like the Jays abusing it and pay younger players what they're really worth and maybe things may change. Because there's really no point or benefit to adding most of these middling vets.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,094

Re: Marcus Stroman wants a long-term deal, more veterans 

Post#3 » by Schad » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:14 pm

Yeah, having all of those veterans really proved crucial in propelling us to 76 and 73 win seasons.
**** your asterisk.
torontoaces04
Analyst
And1: 518

Post#4 » by torontoaces04 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:17 pm

You know that couple that is fighting every time that you see them, and you really can't understand what they are still doing together... yeah.. this feels a little bit like that.
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,604

Post#5 » by Scott Hall » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:28 pm

Met Stroman a few years ago by far the worst athlete I've ever met he's a complete douche and a complete
fraud with his social media persona.
azorian
Veteran
And1: 1,660

Post#6 » by azorian » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:24 pm

Scott Hall wrote:Met Strowman a few years ago by far the worst athlete I've ever met he's a complete douche and a complete
I met him at my workplace and he was the worst. All this noise hes making is ridiculous. Just play the game. He hasnt even been any good

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,497
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#7 » by SharoneWright » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:36 am

Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,604

Post#8 » by Scott Hall » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:01 am

azorian wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:Met Strowman a few years ago by far the worst athlete I've ever met he's a complete douche and a complete
I met him at my workplace and he was the worst. All this noise hes making is ridiculous. Just play the game. He hasnt even been any good

Exactly doesn't he know the organization doesn't want him and tried to trade him to places like San Diego
but nobody was offering more than a bag of pretzels.

What was he like at your workplace?
bturn2210
Sophomore
And1: 211

Post#9 » by bturn2210 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:56 am

Front Office cannot be too fond of his comments today lol. I'm thinking he will be traded sooner rather than later.
T-d0t
General Manager
And1: 12,914

Post#10 » by T-d0t » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:26 am

Scott Hall wrote:
azorian wrote:

Exactly doesn't he know the organization doesn't want him and tried to trade him to places like San Diego
but nobody was offering more than a bag of pretzels.

What was he like at your workplace?
Is he really that bad in person? Explain
Black Watch
Bench Warmer
And1: 762

Post#11 » by Black Watch » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:39 am

SharoneWright wrote:

:lol:
Black Watch and Hamyltowne, my former usernames, are tartan patterns. Nothing to do with any race or any city.
manjusaka
Senior
And1: 416

Post#12 » by manjusaka » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:58 am

I don't believe any GM will give an extension deal to Stroman right now, he had shoulder problem and horrendous performance last year. He has a lot to proof. I don't understand why he needed to say all those on the media day right now. Talking won't work, performance will.
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,753

Post#13 » by spykelee » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:21 pm

Geez and he doubles down to the media again today. Feeling sometimes like he isn't wanted... He's gonna speak his departure into existence I guess.

Sent from my LG-H873 using RealGM mobile app
North_of_Border
Pro Prospect
And1: 369

Post#14 » by North_of_Border » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:39 pm

Stroman wants financial security. And why wouldn't he after the horrible season he had. He does not want to gamble on himself. He wants the security of a long term deal.

However, why should the JAYS do that?
Let him prove something before he gets paid. Unless the guy agrees to a super team friendly deal, Jays should just stay away. Also i doubt Stroman is gonna take such a friendly deal after all the fighting over arbitration money.

DO NOT SIGN LONG TERM..... atleast not now
Kinger95
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,730

Post#15 » by Kinger95 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:51 pm

Trade plz

Don’t need a drama queen around here. Maybe if he’s the difference between a 90 win team and a 95 win team but at where we’re at who cares.

Begone
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,497

Post#16 » by dagger » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:11 pm

Read on Twitter

It's sad how these days if a significant veteran in any sport wants a trade, he feels he or his agent have to create drama to force the situation. The mature thing for Stroman to do would be to conduct himself with some restraint, go out at start the season well, and then as the Jays rack up losses, invite the team to deal him. He's a self-promotional dude, so he can talk up his own success. Then, everyone will be happy with the outcome, and his new team can entertain the extension. Contrast his situation with Aaron Sanchez, who is also on the trade block, has every reason to want an extension given his recurrent health issues, but has chosen to come out and show the world he will be pitching better this season.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
manjusaka
Senior
And1: 416

Post#17 » by manjusaka » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:18 pm

Hey Marcus, if you are reading...

Have you noticed Dallas Keuchel is still on the market searching for a new job?

And How is your shoulder? Is it 100%?
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,403

Post#18 » by Lateral Quicks » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:25 pm

He's definitely a goner, and tanking his trade value with every word he utters.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
Ado05
RealGM
And1: 5,930

Post#19 » by Ado05 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:46 pm

Yeah, this isnt going to help you get a long-term deal from the Jays.

Hopefully he has a good year and the Jays can get a lot for him at the deadline.
hst420
Pro Prospect
And1: 429

Post#20 » by hst420 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:12 pm

Poised for a break out season imo.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays