Re: Kevin Garnett Wants Giannis To Add 'One-Dribble, Two-Dribble Pull Up

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Kevin Garnett Wants Giannis To Add 'One-Dribble, Two-Dribble Pull Up" To His Game 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:59 pm

Kevin Garnett says he wants to see Giannis Antetokounmpo add a pull up jumper to his game. 

"The one-dribble and two-dribble pull up. That’s what made Kobe [Bryant] and Michael [Jordan] so tough. They would low dribble, jab step and shoot. That was such a hard move to defend. The one-dribble pull up? You don’t even understand how technical of a move that is...the three ball will help his game, and if he ever gets that one-dribble, two-dribble pull up, that would be unbelievable," said Garnett when asked what Antetokounmpo could do to improve his game.

Garnett added that Antetokounmpo's competitive nature was honed playing alongside the previous generation.

"When Giannis first came into the league, he was facing guys like myself, Kobe and Tim Duncan. We were still in the league when he came in. He was not only able to interact but also get some of those yesteryear gems and glimpses from us. He was super competitive when he first came into the league...he’s very intense. I understood that. We connected off that. He’s a great listener. A total sponge. He wants to be the best. He doesn’t care about being liked, about making friends. He has a vision for himself."

Via Alex Wong/Yahoo! Sports

Ben Simmons
Starter
And1: 1,077

Post#2 » by Ben Simmons » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:30 pm

Giannis will probably win more MVPs than anyone, because his numbers are always going to be MVP worthy so its just a matter of him being on a contender each year :swami:
GaaBaaBoo
Senior
And1: 50

Post#3 » by GaaBaaBoo » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:57 pm

Two words: can't shoot
Cookin Baskets
Sixth Man
And1: 265

Post#4 » by Cookin Baskets » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:32 am

GaaBaaBoo wrote:Two words: can't shoot

Meh at least he is better at shooting then Ben Simmons. :lol:

He's only going to improve and GO UP IN THE STARS!!! :rockon:
I don't think I Trust The Process anymore! :banghead:
We are the originals! We are the Philadelphia 76ers!
bizarro
RealGM
And1: 7,290

Post#5 » by bizarro » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:11 am

These ridiculous 'Can't Shoot' statements re: Giannis are just so pathetic. Giannis has improved immensely every off-season but the difference this season in Budenholzer's system is he is improving on a nightly basis. Like, he has gotten scary scary good this year. If you don't watch him on a night in and night out basis, you just don't have a clue.

(A) Obviously not graced by watching this basketball genius play on a nightly basis (B) Shooting 37.5% on 2.3 3's per game in February (C) Unstoppable 10 feet and in (D) Unbelievable playmaker with highest assist percentage to corner 3 by a country mile (D) Elite defender (E) MVP and Best player in the NBA (F) Yawn (G) Seriously. Yawn. Haters gonna hate.
mbsnmisc
Starter
And1: 3,721

Post#6 » by mbsnmisc » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:38 am

Garnett is an ****. His offensive game never changed. He shot 21' jumpers his whole career. If he wasn't such an uncoachable psychopath he could have scored 5000 more points and won more than 1 championship. STFU you ugly bitch.
Mwd1981
Pro Prospect
And1: 124

Post#7 » by Mwd1981 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:38 am

mbsnmisc wrote:Garnett is an ****. His offensive game never changed. He shot 21' jumpers his whole career. If he wasn't such an uncoachable psychopath he could have scored 5000 more points and won more than 1 championship. STFU you ugly bitch.

Lol. You only watched old Garnett! Young Garnett destroyed ppl
BigHustle
Pro Prospect
And1: 156

Post#8 » by BigHustle » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:15 am

mbsnmisc wrote:Garnett is an ****. His offensive game never changed. He shot 21' jumpers his whole career. If he wasn't such an uncoachable psychopath he could have scored 5000 more points and won more than 1 championship. STFU you ugly bitch.

Yep his game never changed. Only liked to Win and hated losing. Love it KG.
SlowPaced
RealGM
And1: 17,487

Post#9 » by SlowPaced » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:05 am

Utter drivel.

KG's offensive game changed in a huge way when he moved from the Wolves to the Celtics. He was a playmaker and primary ball handler in Minnesota, became much more of an off-ball player in Boston.

And his input is very important for Giannis, because young Garnett was quite similar to Giannis in how he played.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,010

Post#10 » by Lalouie » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:36 am

why does giannis need that when 1 extra step will get him a dunk
MegaK
Bench Warmer
And1: 133

Post#11 » by MegaK » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:43 pm

Lalouie wrote:why does giannis need that when 1 extra step will get him a dunk

Because you should be able to shoot a jump shot as a perimeter player. Teams will eventually make adjustments and make it harder for him to get inside shots. Right now he's playing checkers, but to be an all time great, you need to play chess.
Triple 7
Sixth Man
And1: 983

Post#12 » by Triple 7 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:49 pm

MegaK wrote:

Because you should be able to shoot a jump shot as a perimeter player. Teams will eventually make adjustments and make it harder for him to get inside shots. Right now he's playing checkers, but to be an all time great, you need to play chess.

He's a perimeter player? Then how is he going to set an all time record for dunks in a season this year?
"Is he not unique? No one plays like this guy. This guy is the new guy. This is the new form."
- George Karl on Giannis
MegaK
Bench Warmer

Post#13 » by MegaK » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:07 pm

Triple 7 wrote:
MegaK wrote:

He's a perimeter player? Then how is he going to set an all time record for dunks in a season this year?

My point is that adjustments will be made or he will get hurt and will have to switch up his game, you can't continue to be this predictable in your plan of attack and have long term success. Looks amazing right now, but basketball isn't only about slam dunks. Anyone who knows basketball knows this. It's why Jordan, Kobe, Durant, Lebron all have counter counter moves for when defenses take away their first or second move. It's not rocket science.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,243

Post#14 » by Clyde Frazier » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:15 pm

GaaBaaBoo wrote:Two words: can't shoot

What's your point?
ItsThatEasy
Analyst
And1: 5,031

Re: Re: Kevin Garnett Wants Giannis To Add 'One-Dribble, Two-Dribble Pull Up 

Post#15 » by ItsThatEasy » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:59 pm

Why are people arguing about whether or not the kid should work on developing a pull up counter move?
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,197

Post#16 » by Pickled Prunes » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:19 pm

Because the "one extra step" isn't always available.
Bango
Freshman
And1: 18

Post#17 » by Bango » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:37 pm

[
"Fans never fall asleep at our games, because they're afraid they might get hit by a pass."—George Raveling
MegaK
Bench Warmer

Post#18 » by MegaK » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:49 pm

Bango wrote:
MegaK wrote:
Triple 7 wrote:

My point is that adjustments will be made or he will get hurt and will have to switch up his game, you can't continue to be this predictable in your plan of attack and have long term success. Looks amazing right now, but basketball isn't only about slam dunks. Anyone who knows basketball knows this. It's why Jordan, Kobe, Durant, Lebron all have counter counter moves for when defenses take away their first or second move. It's not rocket science.

I get what you're saying and I want Giannis to grow as a shooter as well, but you're missing the point here. You don't think that defenses are trying to stop him in his pursuit of the rim. It's not like he's 2009 D-Rose and forcing his way through traffic. Sure anything inside the paint will take a toll on his body, but this guy DOMINATES in the paint and is taking what defenses are giving him--you can't just leave 4 shooters wide open.

Like i said it looks amazing now but he hasn't done anything in the playoffs yet. His type of play will not continue to work through a 7 game series against a team with similar talent. Only centers in NBA history were able to get away with his type of play for their careers. It has never worked out long term for any perimeter player/primary ball handler. I think this dude should have a more consistent jump shot by now if he trains and works as hard as people say he does. Really shouldn't have an excuse for being as poor a shooter as he is. Maybe he only works on his dunks in practice, i dunno, but the narrative of him being this great player is overrated. He's a freak athlete, but you need more skills to be a great basketball player.
Bango
Freshman
And1: 18

Post#19 » by Bango » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:25 pm

MegaK wrote:
Bango wrote:
MegaK wrote:

I get what you're saying and I want Giannis to grow as a shooter as well, but you're missing the point here. You don't think that defenses are trying to stop him in his pursuit of the rim. It's not like he's 2009 D-Rose and forcing his way through traffic. Sure anything inside the paint will take a toll on his body, but this guy DOMINATES in the paint and is taking what defenses are giving him--you can't just leave 4 shooters wide open.

Like i said it looks amazing now but he hasn't done anything in the playoffs yet. His type of play will not continue to work through a 7 game series against a team with similar talent. Only centers in NBA history were able to get away with his type of play for their careers. It has never worked out long term for any perimeter player/primary ball handler. I think this dude should have a more consistent jump shot by now if he trains and works as hard as people say he does. Really shouldn't have an excuse for being as poor a shooter as he is. Maybe he only works on his dunks in practice, i dunno, but the narrative of him being this great player is overrated. He's a freak athlete, but you need more skills to be a great basketball player.

WOW. Yeah, I suppose when he trains with Kobe every offseason he must just practice on his dunks. You don't seem to really know anything about Giannis outside of watching his performance at the all star game last night so I'm going to be done after this. The only thing overrated about anything regarding Giannis is everyone's demand of a jump shot for this guy. He obviously doesn't need one to do what he's been doing all year. You can't reference his past playoff history as this year is completely different in almost every way in Milwaukee. You also say "only centers in NBA history were able to get away with his type of play for their careers", but Giannis plays some center. Your points are moot.
"Fans never fall asleep at our games, because they're afraid they might get hit by a pass."—George Raveling
MegaK
Bench Warmer

Post#20 » by MegaK » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:27 pm

Bango wrote:
MegaK wrote:
Bango wrote:

WOW. Yeah, I suppose when he trains with Kobe every offseason he must just practice on his dunks. You don't seem to really know anything about Giannis outside of watching his performance at the all star game last night so I'm going to be done after this. The only thing overrated about anything regarding Giannis is everyone's demand of a jump shot for this guy. He obviously doesn't need one to do what he's been doing all year. You can't reference his past playoff history as this year is completely different in almost every way in Milwaukee. You also say "only centers in NBA history were able to get away with his type of play for their careers", but Giannis plays some center. Your points are moot.

You'll see in time that i am right. Don't get me wrong, I've watched and have been amazed at Giannis athlete ability. It's basketball dunking at its best, just don't understand what this dude is practicing so hard on if his jump shot is still garbage. If he ever gets a jump shot he has a chance to be the best player in the league. You would think that would make him work on his shot more. BTW Ben Simmons is in the same boat, except he's better than Giannis was in his first two seasons but also cannot shoot. I don't get it, what did these guys do on the basketball court before they were tall enough to dunk basketballs ?

Return to Wiretap Discussion