Gsp to announce his retirement

Moderator: lilfishi22

spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,753

Gsp to announce his retirement  

Post#1 » by spykelee » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:03 pm

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tsn.ca/report-gsp-to-announce-retirement-1.1260632%3ftsn-amp

For my money, he's the goat

26-2 pro record
Both losses avenged
3rd longest title reign in ufc history
9 title defenses
One of only 6 to be a multiple division champ
Spotless record in and out of the cage

One of my all time favorite athletes. But I'm happy for him and happy to see him walk away.

Sent from my LG-H873 using RealGM mobile app
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Re: Gsp to announce his retirement 

Post#2 » by Headliner » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:15 pm

The Khabib suspension ruined his chances for the three titles. Shame, that would have been such an event.

I've decided for my own purposes to divide the GOAT convo into Small man, middle man and large man categories. Small being 125-145. Middle being 155 - 185, and Large being 205-HW.

Mouse being the GOAT small man
GSP being the GOAT Middle man
and Jones or Cormier being the GOAT big man depending on your view on the PEDS.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#3 » by REDDzone » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:24 pm

Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,753

Post#4 » by spykelee » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:34 pm

Khabib asking for a November bout at 55 or even a catch weight at 60. Personally, I'd love to see it. Another great fight for both guys that makes sense across the board. Can't imagine Georges walks back his retirement at this point though.

cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#5 » by cowboyronnie » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:53 pm

spykelee wrote:https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tsn.ca/report-gsp-to-announce-retirement-1.1260632%3ftsn-amp

26-2 pro record
Both losses avenged
9 title defenses

One of my all time favorite athletes. But I'm happy for him and happy to see him walk away.

He doesn't believe in global warming.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,483

Post#6 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:57 pm

My favorite MMA fighter of all time.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Headliner » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:52 pm

spykelee wrote:Khabib asking for a November bout at 55 or even a catch weight at 60. Personally, I'd love to see it. Another great fight for both guys that makes sense across the board. Can't imagine Georges walks back his retirement at this point though.

I think by saying he wanted the Khabib fight while announcing his retirement did a few things:
1) it allowed him to walk back the statement if that specific fight presents itself
2) Puts it out there that this is a fight he and khabib both want, which puts public pressure on Dana and the UFC to make it.
3)Allows khabib to use this as a negotiating tool with the ufc. He said he would sit the whole year, he wouldn’t do that if the GSP fight was on the table.
4) it allowed Khabib to comment publicly Without looking like he was ducking any of the other 155ers. That allowed Khabib to name specific cities, such as NYC Moscow Abu Dhabi etc. These are powerful players with a lot of money, they might look to put pressure on Dana and the UFC to bring that fight to their city.

Personally I think this was 70% real and 30% a pressure move to get that fight agreed upon
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#8 » by REDDzone » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:55 pm

Headliner wrote:
spykelee wrote:Khabib asking for a November bout at 55 or even a catch weight at 60. Personally, I'd love to see it. Another great fight for both guys that makes sense across the board. Can't imagine Georges walks back his retirement at this point though.

I think by saying he wanted the Khabib fight while announcing his retirement did a few things:
1) it allowed him to walk back the statement if that specific fight presents itself
2) Puts it out there that this is a fight he and khabib both want, which puts public pressure on Dana and the UFC to make it.
3)Allows khabib to use this as a negotiating tool with the ufc. He said he would sit the whole year, he wouldn’t do that if the GSP fight was on the table.
4) it allowed Khabib to comment publicly Without looking like he was ducking any of the other 155ers. That allowed Khabib to name specific cities, such as NYC Moscow Abu Dhabi etc. These are powerful players with a lot of money, they might look to put pressure on Dana and the UFC to bring that fight to their city.

Personally I think this was 70% real and 30% a pressure move to get that fight agreed upon

IDK man. The one thing GSP always hung his hat on during his first sabbatical is that he NEVER actually retired. He didn't want to be the guy who retired, then un-retired, then retired, etc.

I'd be somewhat surprised if he did that now.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Headliner » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:15 pm

REDDzone wrote:
Headliner wrote:

IDK man. The one thing GSP always hung his hat on during his first sabbatical is that he NEVER actually retired. He didn't want to be the guy who retired, then un-retired, then retired, etc.

I'd be somewhat surprised if he did that now.

I think he means it, he’s retired...unless he gets that fight.
I think Dana said no time and again, so GSP retired, but if he gets this fight by Nov I bet he takes it.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#10 » by cowboyronnie » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:50 pm

It's a very winnable fight for GSP. KO power (esp at 160), wrestling chops, BJJ and subs. I'd favour him (ou-favour).
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Headliner » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:50 pm

Man, watching the presser, you look at him and he looks physically better than nearly every fighter. Shame, we probably could have got 1 or two super fights out of him with Khabib and Conor.
Dana has always had a weird relationship with GSP, which is crazy considering he's been one of their biggest draws for around 12 years. Give the guy the legacy fight. He wants, Khabib wants it, the fans want it, history wants it. Dana saying he doesn't want a one off, but at the same time pushing for a DC vs Brock fight is silly.
TheDunc
Head Coach
And1: 1,275

Post#12 » by TheDunc » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:56 pm

Headliner wrote:Man, watching the presser, you look at him and he looks physically better than nearly every fighter. Shame, we probably could have got 1 or two super fights out of him with Khabib and Conor.
Dana has always had a weird relationship with GSP, which is crazy considering he's been one of their biggest draws for around 12 years. Give the guy the legacy fight. He wants, Khabib wants it, the fans want it, history wants it. Dana saying he doesn't want a one off, but at the same time pushing for a DC vs Brock fight is silly.

Dude this presser leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, GSP clearly wanted to test himself against Khabib before retiring. Like you said he still looks in great shape and the fact that we will never see another super fight with GSP flat out sucks. Dana obviously isn't the biggest fan of GSP or else this fight would happen!
duppyy
RealGM
And1: 13,125

Post#13 » by duppyy » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:00 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:
spykelee wrote:https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tsn.ca/report-gsp-to-announce-retirement-1.1260632%3ftsn-amp

26-2 pro record
Both losses avenged
9 title defenses

He doesn't believe in global warming.

Nobody is perfect but GSP at the time was the perfect champ at that time. Didn't need trash talk to become popular. The only real trash talk he ever did was "I'm not impressed by your performance" which was a nice form of trash talk lol.
duppyy
RealGM

Post#14 » by duppyy » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:07 pm

TheDunc wrote:
Headliner wrote:Man, watching the presser, you look at him and he looks physically better than nearly every fighter. Shame, we probably could have got 1 or two super fights out of him with Khabib and Conor.

Dude this presser leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, GSP clearly wanted to test himself against Khabib before retiring. Like you said he still looks in great shape and the fact that we will never see another super fight with GSP flat out sucks. Dana obviously isn't the biggest fan of GSP or else this fight would happen!

Dana too busy with Connors junk in his mouth to make a fight for GSP.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#15 » by cowboyronnie » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:06 am

Khabib came out with a very sincere, very classy tweet. Waiting for Nick/Nate to Tweet a pic doing the double bird + 'they poisoned me in Montreal' comment.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#16 » by cowboyronnie » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:08 am

Shoulda done my research:

“[GSP] fights like a b**ch and always has. I fought him and he cheats to f**k your b**ch a** sport. I fight for real and I won. I don’t play ball. Life’s not a game the UFC is. Congrats, nice to see someone leave well enough alone for once.”

This man has a cognitive disorder on top of the emotional one. This is some Praise be to Allah/I am Alexander/I want to eat his children/Man, what? type of leaps.
duppyy
RealGM

Post#17 » by duppyy » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:08 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:Shoulda done my research:

“[GSP] fights like a b**ch and always has. I fought him and he cheats to f**k your b**ch a** sport. I fight for real and I won. I don’t play ball. Life’s not a game the UFC is. Congrats, nice to see someone leave well enough alone for once.”

This man has a cognitive disorder on top of the emotional one. This is some Praise be to Allah/I am Alexander/I want to eat his children/Man, what? type of leaps.

Nick Diaz can't form proper sentences together anymore (he couldn't that well before but now it's on another level). He's becoming an alcoholic with CTE. Not the best combination.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts