ImageImageImageImageImage

Fort Knox: A defense of Kevin Knox

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,130

Fort Knox: A defense of Kevin Knox 

Post#1 » by KnicksGadfly » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:57 am

Get the title? Fortnite? Fort Knox? Alright, jokes over.

Here's the bad with Kevin Knox. 36% shooting. 34% from 3. .9 assists a game, 12 shots a game. 4 rebounds in 28 minutes. But even worse, all the questions pre-draft are there. The low motor. Inability to contribute in other areas of the game...the 15-0-0-0-type of scoreline. He also says dumb things about New York and tanking. Fear sometimes of taking the ball to the hoop and settling. I can't even lie, he's playing like crap.

Here's the good. He's young, 2nd youngest player in the draft, and he seems to have a good head on his shoulders...no Iman Shumpert or Joakim Noah **** with this guy, just video gaming stuff and developing his body. He takes threes at least, and can move a little without the ball. The biggest part that worries me is his motor, but even that can be improved. Recently, Zach Lowe wrote that article about Khris Middleton, and he writes about Middleton's motor issues before, and how it was coached out of him. It's not a lot of good, but there's hope.

To summarize, I know Knox might end up sucking in the future, but the kid is too young to give up on, and we have to hope our coaching and development stacks up. He's a 19 year old, who, for a while, was a first option for an NBA team, and it's not anything weird or out of the norm that Knox couldn't stack up or handle these responsibilities. We expect him to be Luka or Mitchell, but he'll need time and patience. I feel like Knox actually might have set the bar too high for himself during summer league, where he showed flashes, when our expectations were a bit lower during the draft process. It can't help that Mitch is a damn stud too. As Knicks fans, it feels like the forum consensus is that we've given up on him.

So here's my proposal. Give this kid some time. He's gonna suck this year, and just sit back and support for a while. Give him a summer to get adjusted, a season next year where things will hopefully be more stable. He'll never be Luka and he might be another one of picks that gets traded away, but maybe he can be the best version of himself.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Re: Fort Knox: A defense of Kevin Knox 

Post#2 » by dakomish23 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:58 am

Who’s given up on him?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,918

Post#3 » by F N 11 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:07 am

I don’t wanna make the trade for AD either sir.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,304

Post#4 » by Jalen Bluntson » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:14 am

Who gave up a 19 year old who was Rookie of the Month in December?
:beer: RIP mags
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#5 » by Greenie » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:19 am

dakomish23 wrote:Who’s given up on him?

Me

I’ll drive him to NO
cuyankees
Veteran
And1: 1,274

Post#6 » by cuyankees » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:29 am

LMK when he starts playing some semblance of defense and actually rebounds for his height.

Perry whiffed on this 1 & in a loaded draft no less. Good luck in NO
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,632

Post#7 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:36 am

Oh, he's goink to NOLA. I hope he likes crayfish and jazz.
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,632

Post#8 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:47 am

Are We Ther Yet wrote:Who gave up a 19 year old who was Rookie of the Month in December?

He's so soft defensively and his b-ball IQ/instincts are very unimpressive. And, yet, there are intriguing things about him offensively. If we can get AD, then Knox is superfluous. If we don't, it'll be interesting to see how he develops his body in the off season and the overall improvement in his game next season.
Free Palestine
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#9 » by Thugger HBC » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:18 am

He's perfect for the tank right now. No real complaints from me yet.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
knickstape4ever
Head Coach
And1: 7,026

Post#10 » by knickstape4ever » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:57 am

He's no Mitchell Robinson. Knox will be a solid pro in a few years...but I dont think he'll ever be a star. He's just so inefficient; his shot selection is poor, he doesn't make plays for others, and he's bad on defense

But at least we got Mitch who IMO could be a all-star. He's so incredibly efficient and he's perfect for today's NBA as a rim protector/rim runner. I can't believe he is so good so quickly, despite not playing college bball. Mitch was the deal gem of the draft and if it came down to it I'd keep him in a heartbeat over Knox. IMO it'd be a mistake to trade Mitch b/c he can be a all-star. I'm excited to see what's to come from him as he gets more comfortable and fills out his frame.

....and to think he'd be so good after seeing that DX interview when he was asked what kinda player he was and he responded...."probably...be like chill...kinda." I love the kid, he's gold
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#11 » by MaseInYourFace » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:40 am

I hate the tendency to deep dive into stats at such early points in a players career but I guess it is inevitable in this age with such easy access to up to the minute stats. Basically, have to give him a few years to see if he can figure it out. I do think Knox has it in him to become a good player. Not sure if he’ll be great though.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,281

Post#12 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:48 am

knickstape4ever wrote:He's no Mitchell Robinson. Knox will be a solid pro in a few years...but I dont think he'll ever be a star. He's just so inefficient; his shot selection is poor, he doesn't make plays for others, and he's bad on defense

But at least we got Mitch who IMO could be a all-star. He's so incredibly efficient and he's perfect for today's NBA as a rim protector/rim runner. I can't believe he is so good so quickly, despite not playing college bball. Mitch was the deal gem of the draft and if it came down to it I'd keep him in a heartbeat over Knox. IMO it'd be a mistake to trade Mitch b/c he can be a all-star. I'm excited to see what's to come from him as he gets more comfortable and fills out his frame.

....and to think he'd be so good after seeing that DX interview when he was asked what kinda player he was and he responded...."probably...be like chill...kinda." I love the kid, he's gold

Love Mitch but he's as limited offensively right now nearly as much as Knox is defensively.

Well...maybe not, but they're both projects. Mitch has the benefit of being good defensively while being offensively limited is no longer as bad a thing as it used to be, from the C position.

NBA sort of interesting now. In lots of 19 year olds getting drafted, and soon 18 year olds, teams are going to draft projects who quite often aren't getting their sh*t together until the time their contract is up - and possibly not even the finished product, even then.

So, they'll be some guessing/analysis around guys like KP level guys, where "Is this basically what he is, or will he be a lot more" and is the max cat deal worth it or not.

Lower level guys like Knox or Frank etc there's gambles a well, but I guess the financial implications aren't as bad.
Then again, the Knicks basically were the team to take the incorrect flyer on THJr at that time - more or less. Not exactly the same.

Scouting and philosophy of system matters as much or more than ever.

I wonder if the CBA will change, driven as much by owners, as players. I mean, all good for the owners in that they get 4 or 5 cheap years, but interesting if there's any thoughts around it, especially with the soon to be influx of 18 year olds.
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,311

Post#13 » by iLLmatic860 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:02 pm

I know he’s inefficient but he still managing to put up 12.5 ppg and 4 RPG. I expect all that to improve over time. Hes a future 20 ppg type of guy. He does seem to lack motor skills I agree but if he is around the right coaches and players he can snap out of it. Hes only 19 years old. He is a kid.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#14 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:51 pm

DaT WaVeY RiCaN wrote:I know he’s inefficient but he still managing to put up 12.5 ppg and 4 RPG. I expect all that to improve over time. Hes a future 20 ppg type of guy. He does seem to lack motor skills I agree but if he is around the right coaches and players he can snap out of it. Hes only 19 years old. He is a kid.

Yup. People are forgetting what the general deal is with players drafted 7,8,9, and then also what the general deal is with 19 year old players.

These guys are projects. Some will pan, some won't, they all need time.

If the NBA had a real minor league, there's a case about half the drafted players would spend a year in it, at least.
GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,312

Post#15 » by GEOLINK » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:55 pm

Give these rookies the summer to at least improve.

It's hard out here to impress everybody in their first go in the NBA. Not surprised Knox seems to have faded out since January, the NBA schedule is pretty crazy and you must be conditioned properly for it.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,493

Post#16 » by j4remi » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:11 pm

Second youngest in the league won rookie of the month in December and has shown scoring ability at all ranges. Hell no we ain't giving up on that...now depending on what the asking price for AD is, things change. But I'm excited for his growth and development.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#17 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:48 pm

j4remi wrote:Second youngest in the league won rookie of the month in December and has shown scoring ability at all ranges. Hell no we ain't giving up on that...now depending on what the asking price for AD is, things change. But I'm excited for his growth and development.

On the Pelicans?
:D
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,222

Post#18 » by Deeeez Knicks » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:58 pm

Knox is going to be able to score some points in the NBA. The question is if he can work on improving other aspects of his game. I actually see some improvements he has made since Kentucky, but he still has a long ways to go. Given his age, there’s a wide range of outcomes for how good he can be.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
awy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,341

Post#19 » by awy » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:07 pm

not really seeing that much growth in knox's game. compare to say bagley who has seen drastic improvements.
Billy Goat
Analyst
And1: 1,616

Post#20 » by Billy Goat » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:15 pm

Should be playing in Westchester. They’re doing him no good right now.

Return to New York Knicks