Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,363

Re: De'Andre Hunter 

Post#21 » by King Ken » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:08 am

doordoor123 wrote:
King Ken wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:One of my issues with Hunter is that his jumper takes time to get off. Think he’s a knockdown standstill jumper in the NBA with the space. Problem is he doesn’t take NBA threes right now and will need to adjust. Think he can be a good post player but I also think he lacks awareness when he has the ball. While I think he can score in the post and around the basket, I’m not confident he can pass out of the post.

With that said, I think he should be a lock for the top 5.

I really believe he is a lot like Otto Porter Jr. Then again, I love Otto Porter Jr.

That is actually a pretty good comp. Porter was able to do more stuff off the dribble in college than he’s doing now. I still think Hunter is a better prospect than Porter was. Maybe a mix of Aaron Gordon and Otto Porter.

Hunter is a better prospect as he was way better coached. Hunter is very polished. Porter Jr. was not. He just was very sound and had no real flaws. Hunter is similar but much further along in the maturation process.

I think the best comp is Porter with playmaking chops.

Edited
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,552

Post#22 » by MemphisX » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:07 am

He isn't even in the same galaxy of Iggy as a playmaker.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
King Ken
General Manager

Post#23 » by King Ken » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:41 am

MemphisX wrote:He isn't even in the same galaxy of Iggy as a playmaker.

I forgot how good of playmaker Iggy was out of Zona. That's an honest mistake on my part.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,125

Post#24 » by clyde21 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:44 am

yea Iggy was a really good playmaking wing and that's what differentiated him

I don't who I would compare Hunter to. Maybe a less explosive Paul George coming out of Fresno St. or Otto Porter as a more realistic scenario.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#25 » by Ruzious » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:01 am

Re the Otto Porter comps, I think people don't get how good Porter is - and that's with him having a chronic hip problem throughout his NBA career - a player who metrics folks love for his efficiency and has been equally good at PF and SF. I think Hunter's going to be even better than Otto defensively. Offensively, Otto's got a tremendous 3-ball, and we really need to see how Hunter develops there. He can cut to the basket off the ball and finish like Otto does. Physically, I'd compare Hunter to Thaddeus Young.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
RipCity71252
Pro Prospect
And1: 194

Post#26 » by RipCity71252 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:21 pm

From a stylistic, skill and athleticism perspective, a weird mashup of OG Anunoby and Harrison Barnes has been my comp for Hunter for a while now.

Think he has a higher IQ than both though.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#27 » by King Ken » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:59 pm

Ruzious wrote:Re the Otto Porter comps, I think people don't get how good Porter is - and that's with him having a chronic hip problem throughout his NBA career - a player who metrics folks love for his efficiency and has been equally good at PF and SF. I think Hunter's going to be even better than Otto defensively. Offensively, Otto's got a tremendous 3-ball, and we really need to see how Hunter develops there. He can cut to the basket off the ball and finish like Otto does. Physically, I'd compare Hunter to Thaddeus Young.

As a prospect, he compares favorably if not better. I am not comparing them from Porters 4th season or anything recent or anything. Porter Jr. Is a pro, Hunter is in college. As a prospect, Thad Young just doesn't come close to Hunter.

That said, Porter Jr. Was the Wizard I liked the most when I used to go to most of their games with my wife when we lived in the district. Hate they had to trade him but wasn't the same Porter Jr. Competitive wise this year till now.
kobyz
Rookie
And1: 270

Post#28 » by kobyz » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:32 pm

I think he could be the next Glen Rice, with his elite 3 and D potential, and being such efficient and sound player...
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by Ruzious » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:45 pm

kobyz wrote:I think he could be the next Glen Rice, with his elite 3 and D potential, and being such efficient and sound player...

Rice was a great shooter who wasn't known for his D. I wouldn't project that Hunter will be on his level of a shooter, but he should be a much better defender.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
King Ken
General Manager

Post#30 » by King Ken » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:48 pm

Ruzious wrote:
kobyz wrote:I think he could be the next Glen Rice, with his elite 3 and D potential, and being such efficient and sound player...

Rice was a great shooter who wasn't known for his D. I wouldn't project that Hunter will be on his level of a shooter, but he should be a much better defender.

Rice is a strange comparison. Rice was a tremendous scorer and shooter. Not much else.
pelifan
RealGM
And1: 21,691

Post#31 » by pelifan » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:02 pm

Old school comparison alert.

Marques Johnson with less handles but better shooting.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#32 » by King Ken » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:23 pm

pelifan wrote:Old school comparison alert.

Marques Johnson with less handles but better shooting.

You went so old school that old school is in his twitter name

https://mobile.twitter.com/olskool888
clyde21
RealGM

Post#33 » by clyde21 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:51 pm

Ruzious wrote:Re the Otto Porter comps, I think people don't get how good Porter is - and that's with him having a chronic hip problem throughout his NBA career - a player who metrics folks love for his efficiency and has been equally good at PF and SF. I think Hunter's going to be even better than Otto defensively. Offensively, Otto's got a tremendous 3-ball, and we really need to see how Hunter develops there. He can cut to the basket off the ball and finish like Otto does. Physically, I'd compare Hunter to Thaddeus Young.

well fwiw, Hunter is shooting 46% from 3, while Otto shot 42%. Hunter has been pretty reliable as a spot up shooter from range.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by Ruzious » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:10 pm

clyde21 wrote:

well fwiw, Hunter is shooting 46% from 3, while Otto shot 42%. Hunter has been pretty reliable as a spot up shooter from range.

Right, but we can use 20/20 hindsight with Otto, and I think Ott's release is smoother and quicker than Hunter's. Hey, I'm not saying he can't be a very good NBA 3 point shooter - I just think it's a big step to assume he'll do it as well as Otto has.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#35 » by clyde21 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:15 pm

Ruzious wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Right, but we can use 20/20 hindsight with Otto, and I think Ott's release is smoother and quicker than Hunter's. Hey, I'm not saying he can't be a very good NBA 3 point shooter - I just think it's a big step to assume he'll do it as well as Otto has.

yea that's fair, but I don't think it's enough to render the comparison not apt tho

also tbfair, Hunter was a year older as a prospect.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#36 » by GimmeDat » Sat Mar 2, 2019 11:39 pm

I don't think Hunter's shot versatility or release are nearly as good as Otto's. I love Hunter, but at best he's a guy who will hit set, spot up 3's at a high level, and have some mid-range creation ability. But Otto's got the natural sweet and sway, can turn his body and release off different actions, can shoot really deep range or off the dribble really fluidly.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#37 » by No-Man » Sun Mar 3, 2019 1:55 pm

He is more DeMarre Carroll than Otto Porter
kobyz
Rookie
And1: 270

Post#38 » by kobyz » Sun Mar 3, 2019 3:39 pm

King Ken wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

Rice is a strange comparison. Rice was a tremendous scorer and shooter. Not much else.

he's like a Luol Deng with more shooting potential, and that could be Rice or maybe Danny Granger...
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Post#39 » by MotownMadness » Sun Mar 3, 2019 4:32 pm

Fischella wrote:He is more DeMarre Carroll than Otto Porter

That’s actually a pretty good comparison
clyde21
RealGM

Post#40 » by clyde21 » Sun Mar 3, 2019 9:11 pm

i am a pretty strong in at this point on Hunter w/e his comp might be. NBA level body, two-way player, strong fundementals, great set shot, good baseline of functional athleticism, has a high floor but still a decently high ceiling as well. he'll look even better in the NBA with more transition ops and even more room to attack the rim.

and the guy is just posting obscene metrics...+42 Net Rating, 12.6 BPM, 27 PER, 64 TS%.

really only trepidation is that he is junior age but if this guy was a year younger would he make it out of the top 10 in any draft?

Return to NBA Draft