ImageImageImageImageImage

Movie Thread -- Happy Stuff (Non-Wizards)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,524

Re: Movie Thread -- Happy Stuff (Non-Wizards) 

Post#421 » by closg00 » Tue Mar 6, 2018 3:27 pm

NatP4 wrote:anyone seen Shape of Water? thoughts? worth watching? trailer looks mildly interesting, heard some bad things from friends.

I have been mildly ranting that this was the most over-rated Oscar movie. I just couldn’t buy the premise. It was a good throwback style movie though.
closg00
RealGM

Post#422 » by closg00 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:30 pm

nate33 wrote:I just finished watching End of the F***ing World on Netflix. It was a surprisingly good show.

I enjoyed it as-well, if anyone has any good binge recommendations, please drop them below.
Gig18
Junior
And1: 138

Post#423 » by Gig18 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:39 pm

I'd highly recommend "Leave No Trace."
It's a little somber, but it's really good. And a departure from all the action, comic-book movies that I always watch.
closg00
RealGM

Post#424 » by closg00 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:56 pm

Gig18 wrote:I'd highly recommend "Leave No Trace."
It's a little somber, but it's really good. And a departure from all the action, comic-book movies that I always watch.

Added it on Amazon, Thx
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#425 » by 80sballboy » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:05 pm

Check out the third season of Last Chance U on Netflix. Very riveting stuff about a junior college football team in Kansas called Independence. Coach is nuts. Players are there for a reason. Many are 4* and 5* blue chippers who went to Florida State, Texas Tech and Texas A&M. I haven't watched the first two seasons but most people were saying watch the third. The first two seasons are about other junior colleges. Netflix does a great job with these documentaries, showing the back stories on these players and coaches.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,343

Post#426 » by doclinkin » Mon Jan 7, 2019 5:30 am

Wish I could write dialogue as good as Hell or High Water. Great cast: Chris Pine, Jeff Bridges, and Ben Foster in a holy crap he's good role. Ex con and his brother rob banks and try to keep a step ahead of the cops.

As for uncomplicated binge watching I enjoyed The Last Kingdom --a Saxons vs Danes historical sword swinger series. Sometimes the actors and actresses are a little too pretty for their roles and you can nitpick history accuracy and the armor etc if you give a crap about that sort of thing. But still adapted from the historical novels by Bernard Cornwell the plot steps along briskly. One mark of at least satisfying writing, when a character makes a stupid choice, just as you start to argue or question it another character insults them and puts them in their place. There are a few powerful performances though that elevate it above the average serial historical drama.

Both on Netflix.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#427 » by Ruzious » Mon Jan 7, 2019 2:30 pm

We watched Bumblebee - mainly because of it's 94 rating on Rotten Tomatoes and good reviews. But it was essentially a movie for children, was entirely unoriginal, and had a major editing error. It took place in 1985 and inadvertantly highlighted the lack of good music in that era (with a couple of exceptions).
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,780

Post#428 » by CobraCommander » Mon Jan 7, 2019 5:43 pm

Spiderverse was awesome...no spoilers but they got that one right on multiple levels. Great lessons taught in small personal interactions...with some adult themes and action...while kid friendly
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#429 » by doclinkin » Mon Jan 7, 2019 10:24 pm

CobraCommander wrote:Spiderverse was awesome...no spoilers but they got that one right on multiple levels. Great lessons taught in small personal interactions...with some adult themes and action...while kid friendly

One of the rare movies where 3D makes it significantly better than the flat version. IN fact some scenes in 2D are out of focus and blurry, but it is stylistically interestingly textured anyway so you may not notice.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#430 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Jan 8, 2019 12:14 am

Clint Eastwood is almost 90 but he still has it. He stars as a drug runner in The Mule.

It's a riveting movie with a lot of heartfelt moments. There's also a lot of quirky humor. That and edgy drama...and scary with guns and drug cartel bad guys.

It is a very enjoyable movie. Around all the suspense the character Clint plays uses his drug money and cache to be a Robin Hood. He also reconnects with his wife and children after having been absent many years.
Bye bye Beal.
closg00
RealGM

Post#431 » by closg00 » Tue Jan 8, 2019 1:51 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Clint Eastwood is almost 90 but he still has it. He stars as a drug runner in The Mule.

It's a riveting movie with a lot of heartfelt moments. There's also a lot of quirky humor. That and edgy drama...and scary with guns and drug cartel bad guys.

It is a very enjoyable movie. Around all the suspense the character Clint plays uses his drug money and cache to be a Robin Hood. He also reconnects with his wife and children after having been absent many years.

A true legend
stilldropin20
RealGM
And1: 1,233

Post#432 » by stilldropin20 » Wed Jan 9, 2019 10:38 am

Do yourselves a favor and catch the marvelous mrs maisel on prime. I binged on it a few weeks ago. Best dramedy ive ever seen. By far. Funniest show of all time.

far and away the very best show ive seen in decades. every single scene, every single sentence is a masterpiece. The most clever, most witty, most funny, just deliciously entertaining. if you are sick and tired of superheros, drug runners. murder, cops, robbers, grime, blood and guts, horror, or action and want to watch a well appointed period piece set in late 50's NY then this is the show for you! well worth your time!

For our round table crew...its also a nice look at "america" right before we shipped our manufacturing jobs overseas.
like i said, its a full rebuild.
closg00
RealGM

Post#433 » by closg00 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:46 am

Finally saw Bohemian Rhapsody this weekend, it was one of those movies that critics killed, but fans loved. I really enjoyed it.
Nigel Tufnel
Sophomore
And1: 76

Post#434 » by Nigel Tufnel » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:08 am

I’m enjoying Patriot on Amazon Prime. It has kind of a Fargo pacing and dark humor. Very good dialog and acting. You’ll know in the first half hour if the series is for you.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,667

Post#435 » by penbeast0 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:57 pm

Ruzious wrote:We watched Bumblebee - mainly because of it's 94 rating on Rotten Tomatoes and good reviews. But it was essentially a movie for children, was entirely unoriginal, and had a major editing error. It took place in 1985 and inadvertantly highlighted the lack of good music in that era (with a couple of exceptions).

Lack of good music compared to what era? 1965, maybe. 1975 (disco, corporate AOR rock, and early metal) -- my HS era, the 80s were a massive relief. 1995?

I'd enjoy seeing a comparisom of these mid-decade years by someone who thinks 85 was weak.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
closg00
RealGM

Post#436 » by closg00 » Fri Mar 1, 2019 12:11 am

Nigel Tufnel wrote:I’m enjoying Patriot on Amazon Prime. It has kind of a Fargo pacing and dark humor. Very good dialog and acting. You’ll know in the first half hour if the series is for you.

S1 of The Patriot ****, S2 **, very-much in the Wes Anderson style of story-telling.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#437 » by Ruzious » Fri Mar 1, 2019 12:51 am

penbeast0 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:We watched Bumblebee - mainly because of it's 94 rating on Rotten Tomatoes and good reviews. But it was essentially a movie for children, was entirely unoriginal, and had a major editing error. It took place in 1985 and inadvertantly highlighted the lack of good music in that era (with a couple of exceptions).

Lack of good music compared to what era? 1965, maybe. 1975 (disco, corporate AOR rock, and early metal) -- my HS era, the 80s were a massive relief. 1995?

I'd enjoy seeing a comparisom of these mid-decade years by someone who thinks 85 was weak.

Late 70's and 80's music sucked hard - with some exceptions - but just horrible on the whole. Mid 60's through mid 70's was great. I kinda liked the 90's.

Not that there's anything wrong with liking 80's music. 8-)
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#438 » by doclinkin » Fri Mar 1, 2019 1:39 am

Ruzious wrote:
penbeast0 wrote:

Late 70's and 80's music sucked hard - with some exceptions - but just horrible on the whole. Mid 60's through mid 70's was great. I kinda liked the 90's.

Bob Marley Uprising (1980), The Clash? Prince? MJ ? Beasties? Police/Sting? Public Enemy, De La Soul, KRS-One and BDP, Rakim, The Specials, The Ramones. The Pogues, Husker Du, Fugazi, Metallica, Slayer, and pretty much any metal band that was ever any good, Classic Punk stuff, the Repo Man soundtrack. Golden age of both rap and metal and hardcore and 3rd wave ska.

At the time I liked Tom Petty, Dire Straits, Steely Dan, Rush, Tom Waits, REM. There was some damn good musicianship in the 80's the last era of non-programmed music. But even then there were bands like the Eurythmics/Annie Lennox, even pop stuff like INXS that was good to the ear. Even the birth of emo: The Smiths, The Cure, hearing them today I still get what made them popular.

My ears came alive when Nirvana and Pearl Jam and Janes Addiction were getting airplay, and when Hip Hop came into its own in the early 90's. But I can't hate on the 80's. Pop music was eh, but it generally is. But up and down the dial you could find some pretty cool stuff.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#439 » by pancakes3 » Fri Mar 1, 2019 2:07 am

Read on Twitter
Bullets -> Wizards
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#440 » by Ruzious » Fri Mar 1, 2019 2:11 pm

doclinkin wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
penbeast0 wrote:

Bob Marley Uprising (1980), The Clash? Prince? MJ ? Beasties? Police/Sting? Public Enemy, De La Soul, KRS-One and BDP, Rakim, The Specials, The Ramones. The Pogues, Husker Du, Fugazi, Metallica, Slayer, and pretty much any metal band that was ever any good, Classic Punk stuff, the Repo Man soundtrack. Golden age of both rap and metal and hardcore and 3rd wave ska.

At the time I liked Tom Petty, Dire Straits, Steely Dan, Rush, Tom Waits, REM. There was some damn good musicianship in the 80's the last era of non-programmed music. But even then there were bands like the Eurythmics/Annie Lennox, even pop stuff like INXS that was good to the ear. Even the birth of emo: The Smiths, The Cure, hearing them today I still get what made them popular.

My ears came alive when Nirvana and Pearl Jam and Janes Addiction were getting airplay, and when Hip Hop came into its own in the early 90's. But I can't hate on the 80's. Pop music was eh, but it generally is. But up and down the dial you could find some pretty cool stuff.

There were definitely some great groups in the 80's, but most of the stuff on the radio wasn't good. I wasn't a Smiths fan (the band featured most on Bumblebee), but I liked the other bands you mentioned, and YES, the Seattle sounds of the early 90's spoke to me - Alice N Chains, Soundgarden, STP, and especially the Temple of the Dog album changed everything and ruined everything else in comparison.

Return to Washington Wizards