Manny Machado
81%

Total votes: 21

Black Watch
Bench Warmer
And1: 762

Re: The Harper and Machado Thread 

Post#61 » by Black Watch » Fri Mar 1, 2019 8:04 am

Lateral Quicks wrote:It's bad. Real bad. But, not as bad as I first thought. It's a $25M AAV, and over a gigantic 13 year time frame you really have to consider the present value of those cash flows - $25M is going to be significantly less in real purchasing power in 2032 than it is today. Also this only takes him to his age 38 season, unlike some of the other mega deals that guarantee money at age 40 or even beyond.

I would totally not have done that contract, though. He's too inconsistent a performer - and at a non-premium position to boot - to be handing out that kind of money.

Spot on!
Black Watch and Hamyltowne, my former usernames, are tartan patterns. Nothing to do with any race or any city.
Black Watch
Bench Warmer

Post#62 » by Black Watch » Fri Mar 1, 2019 8:07 am

vaff87 wrote:Over/under 9.5 years left on the contract when the Phillies start regretting it?

Oh, man, he will repeat the last four years two more times (2 monster seasons and 6 nondescript ones in the next 8 years) before being platooned for a couple years until he's eventually released before the end of year 10... so 9.5 before they regret it so much he's released.

... but I did a deeper dive on his baserunning and defense back in the first page of this thread. It's likely he returns to all-star form, but for how long (and until what sort of injuries plague him) is anybody's guess.
Black Watch and Hamyltowne, my former usernames, are tartan patterns. Nothing to do with any race or any city.
Black Watch
Bench Warmer

Post#63 » by Black Watch » Fri Mar 1, 2019 11:15 am

Black Watch
Bench Warmer

Post#64 » by Black Watch » Fri Mar 1, 2019 12:36 pm

"Well done to Bryce for holding out for that extra 5-10 million. Now he will be able to buy whatever it is he was saving up for."
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,481

Post#65 » by Duffman100 » Fri Mar 1, 2019 5:16 pm

Lateral Quicks wrote:It's bad. Real bad. But, not as bad as I first thought. It's a $25M AAV, and over a gigantic 13 year time frame you really have to consider the present value of those cash flows - $25M is going to be significantly less in real purchasing power in 2032 than it is today. Also this only takes him to his age 38 season, unlike some of the other mega deals that guarantee money at age 40 or even beyond.

I would totally not have done that contract, though. He's too inconsistent a performer - and at a non-premium position to boot - to be handing out that kind of money.

Especially considering you probably have to move him to LF or 1B so he stops getting hurt.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays