ImageImageImageImageImage

Movie Thread -- Happy Stuff (Non-Wizards)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,993

Re: Movie Thread -- Happy Stuff (Non-Wizards) 

Post#441 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Mar 2, 2019 12:03 am

Ruzious wrote:
penbeast0 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:We watched Bumblebee - mainly because of it's 94 rating on Rotten Tomatoes and good reviews. But it was essentially a movie for children, was entirely unoriginal, and had a major editing error. It took place in 1985 and inadvertantly highlighted the lack of good music in that era (with a couple of exceptions).

Lack of good music compared to what era? 1965, maybe. 1975 (disco, corporate AOR rock, and early metal) -- my HS era, the 80s were a massive relief. 1995?

I'd enjoy seeing a comparisom of these mid-decade years by someone who thinks 85 was weak.

Late 70's and 80's music sucked hard - with some exceptions - but just horrible on the whole. Mid 60's through mid 70's was great. I kinda liked the 90's.

Not that there's anything wrong with liking 80's music. 8-)

SOME exceptions? (Nah, man. Music was WAY better back then IMO ...)

:nonono: :crazy: :noway:

:o Damn, they could dance! Not this video, but another "Too Hot" performed the same TV special

Ruzious, we couldn't disagree more on music...

:)

What docklinkin said. :)

Off the top of my head: Earth, Wind & Fire, Chicago, Doobie Brothers, Hall and Oates, Pink Floyd, Cars, Elton John, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, The Police, QUEEN, Bee Gees (Saturday Night Fever was EPIC!). Michael Jackson, Prince...

Ruzious, THIS is better than music of today. I know it's just one man's opinion, but IMO 70s and 80s music ROCKED THE SHYT out of the stuff that's played today.

Cardi B? Logic? Still playing hooks from the 90s and before. Nineties music? Ice Cube sampled THESE GUYS, who were big in the 50s, 60s, 70s, and early 80s:

Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#442 » by Ruzious » Sat Mar 2, 2019 12:21 am

CCJ, that's cool. Pink Floyd's one of my all-time faves, but I think of them as late 60's to 70's. I never thought of them as an 80's band. Shine on You Crazy Diamond was a mid 70's song - the mid 70's were great. KC and the Sunshine Band had the exact same music for all of their hits - each one making my ears bleed. The Geneva Convention banned their albums as a form of torture. :) On the others, don't let my poor taste in music get you down.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
RealGM

Post#443 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Mar 2, 2019 12:34 am

So, you DO NOT LIKE KC and the Sunshine Band ... I've got JUST THE VIDEO FOR YOU...

(Turn the volume down and just look at the glaze/haze in my man's eye's. Cocaine is a HELLUVA DRUG!)

My man is high AF in this video. :D
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#444 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Mar 2, 2019 12:39 am

The camera operator probably had a hit on the same stuff. :)
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#445 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Mar 2, 2019 12:55 am

What fun the band had!

Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#446 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Mar 2, 2019 12:59 am

THIS is one of my favorite music videos ... BECAUSE of the joy in these ladies' eyes. I can tell they're loving every minute of this.

Bye bye Beal.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,676

Post#447 » by penbeast0 » Sat Mar 2, 2019 1:04 am

Ruzious wrote:CCJ, that's cool. Pink Floyd's one of my all-time faves, but I think of them as late 60's to 70's. I never thought of them as an 80's band. Shine on You Crazy Diamond was a mid 70's song - the mid 70's were great. KC and the Sunshine Band had the exact same music for all of their hits - each one making my ears bleed. The Geneva Convention banned their albums as a form of torture. :) On the others, don't let my poor taste in music get you down.

Mid 70s weren't great unless you like dancing more than listening (CCJ was the John Travolta of his neighborhood I'm sure . . . or at least the Bootsy Collins). Not relative to mid-80s or even mid 90s. There just wasn't the same variety and innovation out there, it was much more formulaic other than a few outstanding bands.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
RealGM

Post#448 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Mar 2, 2019 1:07 am

Never knew this was a woman singing...much less, the Pointer Sisters.

(We Are Family rocked in 1980..I remember well.)
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#449 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Mar 2, 2019 1:08 am

This, around the time I came of age ... if you know what I mean. :)

Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#450 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Mar 2, 2019 1:17 am

penbeast0 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:CCJ, that's cool. Pink Floyd's one of my all-time faves, but I think of them as late 60's to 70's. I never thought of them as an 80's band. Shine on You Crazy Diamond was a mid 70's song - the mid 70's were great. KC and the Sunshine Band had the exact same music for all of their hits - each one making my ears bleed. The Geneva Convention banned their albums as a form of torture. :) On the others, don't let my poor taste in music get you down.

Mid 70s weren't great unless you like dancing more than listening (CCJ was the John Travolta of his neighborhood I'm sure . . . or at least the Bootsy Collins). Not relative to mid-80s or even mid 90s. There just wasn't the same variety and innovation out there, it was much more formulaic other than a few outstanding bands.

I was actually REALLY shy ... THEN. :D

Looks? Yes. Bell bottoms, butterfly collars, platform shoes ... leisure suits... and my favorite, mandarin collars. I had the skinny waist. Big chest. Looked like a football player .... Had a fro, for a while even had a shag (long hair in the back). VERY BRIEFLY had S-curls (baby Gheri curls)... didn't care to have MOM relax my hair.

:)

When I SEE WHAT I LOOKED LIKE THEN ... I'm like ... DAMN! I had it going on! :D Why on EARTH was I lacking confidence!???

My first real GF said, "Ooh, he look like Teddy Pendergrass." Yep, even had a beard. My nickname at Bowie U was GI Joe. I used to look like the black GI Joe. WORST OF ALL, I could dance ... but ONLY after two Long Island Ice Tea drinks. Then the shy was gone. CRAZY, but at the age of 50+ I've been in a video DANCING... with a bunch of 20-somethings. On a beach in Hawaii...
YES, making young girls smile because for whatever reason they must like the way that I move. (Even have to avoid married ladies at church IF you know what I I mean.) Yeah, not being immodest but I'm a good dancer. JOHN TRAVOLTA looking like C Lo these days ...

(Was on TV a couple years ago, as a cut away of me dancing at a Live Aid (Ocean Aid) like concert in Waikiki. C-Lo, Ohio Players, others were there.

I live a very peculiar life. Bored stiff. Feel like life is almost over one minute. Get a call to do some film BG work the next. Missed a call from a network series show just the other day. They wanted a driver ...
Bye bye Beal.
stilldropin20
RealGM
And1: 1,233

Post#451 » by stilldropin20 » Sat Mar 2, 2019 9:35 am

Ruzious wrote:
doclinkin wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Late 70's and 80's music sucked hard - with some exceptions - but just horrible on the whole. Mid 60's through mid 70's was great. I kinda liked the 90's.

Not that there's anything wrong with liking 80's music. 8-)

Bob Marley Uprising (1980), The Clash? Prince? MJ ? Beasties? Police/Sting? Public Enemy, De La Soul, KRS-One and BDP, Rakim, The Specials, The Ramones. The Pogues, Husker Du, Fugazi, Metallica, Slayer, and pretty much any metal band that was ever any good, Classic Punk stuff, the Repo Man soundtrack. Golden age of both rap and metal and hardcore and 3rd wave ska.

At the time I liked Tom Petty, Dire Straits, Steely Dan, Rush, Tom Waits, REM. There was some damn good musicianship in the 80's the last era of non-programmed music. But even then there were bands like the Eurythmics/Annie Lennox, even pop stuff like INXS that was good to the ear. Even the birth of emo: The Smiths, The Cure, hearing them today I still get what made them popular.

My ears came alive when Nirvana and Pearl Jam and Janes Addiction were getting airplay, and when Hip Hop came into its own in the early 90's. But I can't hate on the 80's. Pop music was eh, but it generally is. But up and down the dial you could find some pretty cool stuff.

There were definitely some great groups in the 80's, but most of the stuff on the radio wasn't good. I wasn't a Smiths fan (the band featured most on Bumblebee), but I liked the other bands you mentioned, and YES, the Seattle sounds of the early 90's spoke to me - Alice N Chains, Soundgarden, STP, and especially the Temple of the Dog album changed everything and ruined everything else in comparison.

im sorry but late 70s to early(mid) 80's was actually quite amazing and nearly all of it is way under rated. waaaaaaaaaay under rated. Especially new wave and some of the hair bands.

Doc mentioned some. let me add. I still work out to iggy "lust for life." first on my play list every time. The cars. Go Go's. ZZ top. Journey (all of it). Bob Seger. GnR. Duran Duran. billy idol. police. even some of the 1,2 and 3 hit wonders of the era are better than most other eras. billy squire. lover boy.
REO, ASIA, Styx, even the stones dicso stuff was really good, emotional rescue, miss you. 38 speical. ELO. Blue oyster. foreigner. lenny. til tuesday. human league. fleetwood mac!! the eagles!! doobie (macdonald solo!!!!), motels, criss cross(not the kids)..."ride the the wind" is still effin amaxin!! Queen!!!!, Bowie !!!!! Hall and OAts!!! Pointer! Blondie! Donna!! Joy Div. kinks. modern english. Springsteen, poison, def leopard, heart, Boston!!, moody blues, manfred mann, supertramp!!! pink floyd. alan parsons. doors, fixx, little feat, rod stewert, the time!! GMflash!! wham "last christmas" is still a top 5 christmas song of all time in anyone's list and #1 on many lists! rufus/chaka. dazz. gap. thompson twins (hold me now is a top 100 goat song). springfield. money. foghat. talking heads. depeche. new order. seagulls (i ran is top 100 GOAT song). Souxie (kiss them for me is a top 200 goat song). Yaz!!!!! Bee Gees!!!!!!

i mean come on!! This era is fantastic!!! I didn't even barely hit on all the GOAT disco songs like Grease. Or Goat break songs like Planet Patrol which is far and away the #1 GOAT break dance song of all time and it aint close if you ever popped or locked.

i mean all i even entertain on the radio is almost strictly from 76-87. Nothing will ever be better than stones, beattles and zep on top of their game. But 76-87 had a ton of great songs. The artists tended to flame out quickly though so there was more one hit wonders and poor/amateur videography made many a artist "cheese out" too much...and a lot of artists no longer wrote their own stuff so it was harder for them to play from the heart and perform deep in character.

but pearl jam aside, i'll take early 80's over early 90's any day of the week. and that goes for hiphop/dance too. I'll dance to abba and donna summer over snoop dogg and marky mark any day of the week.

sorry folks but it was the 90's that sucked! The late 80's and early 90's was way over rated. bobby brown, whitney, vanilla ice, slim, and "gansta" rap in general. all that crap sucked. Music didn't get good again until about 1998...after all that terrible grunge crap died a slow and painful death along with gangsta rap. worst era of all time and it aint even close!! A few rare ska gems, the verve, oasis, new radicals (one hit), and pearl jam aside....most of That era sucked!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i mean lauryn hill was good...but most of what was good about it was th ebeats she sampled from the late 70's and early 80's. And that goes for every single damn hip hop artist of the 90's. The "good stuff" was in the music they "stole" from '75-'85. And 90% of the grunge artist were either trying to hard to out metal each other or out gravel voice each other. talk about a phoney era!!??

at least with electronica today...its original. chainsmokers lay down their own beats/lyrics. etc. as do all modern "DJ" artists. at least its their own damn stuff!! and frankly...a lot of it is genius. and its inspired from music from 75-85.

The best music from 2009-2019 with its crescendo and decrescendo rhythm patterns and chord progressions are inspired from a combinaiton of stuff like pink floyd and ELO along with disco of the 70's And a bluesy hard down beat and pace like Punk and Ska 90-120bpm. That stuff has dominated for a decade. and its all based on a combination of music from 75-85.

40-50bpm is lame. crap. elevator music. even 60bpm is boring by most standard. And the only way to do 50-60 bpm well (without autotune) is to be either a lyrical genius or melodically a genius (and usually both). and very few musicians are geniuses like that. We're talking lennon and mccartney, stevie wonder, elton john, jagger and richard, page and plant, little richard, bowie, prince, bob marley. and maybe a handful more. everyone else...not so much. Its really hard to do 60 bpm and be good. i could listen to all of them all day long. Almost everyone else? not so much.
like i said, its a full rebuild.
stilldropin20
RealGM

Post#452 » by stilldropin20 » Sat Mar 2, 2019 9:39 am

penbeast0 wrote:

i would argue that the whole entire purpose of music is to move you. and while that "movement" could remain "mental"...the very best music converts even that mental energy into movement and gets you off of your azz and makes you move to the beat or rhythm!!!

in my opinion, you dont interpret music through movement then you've the point altogether. or the artist missed the point.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#453 » by Ruzious » Sat Mar 2, 2019 10:28 am

stilldropin20 wrote:
penbeast0 wrote:

i would argue that the whole entire purpose of music is to move you. and while that "movement" could remain "mental"...the very best music converts even that mental energy into movement and gets you off of your azz and makes you move to the beat or rhythm!!!

in my opinion, you dont interpret music through movement then you've the point altogether. or the artist missed the point.

Nobody... should try to conform to what you think about music. If you think otherwise, you're completely missing the point.

And I'm perfectly fine with people disagreeing with me (and therefore being wrong) about late 70's and 80's "music". There were some good ones, but the overall quality fell off a cliff. And you (foolishly) talk about grunge as if it means something. Grunge is just rock n roll with a Seattle twang. If you want grunge to be dead, you might as well say you want rock n roll to be dead. It REVIVED mainstream rock n roll. Thank you Seattle.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
stilldropin20
RealGM

Post#454 » by stilldropin20 » Sat Mar 2, 2019 11:00 am

Ruzious wrote:
stilldropin20 wrote:
penbeast0 wrote:

Nobody... should try to conform to what you think about music. If you think otherwise, you're completely missing the point.

And I'm perfectly fine with people disagreeing with me (and therefore being wrong) about late 70's and 80's "music". There were some good ones, but the overall quality fell off a cliff. And you (foolishly) talk about grunge as if it means something. Grunge is just rock n roll with a Seattle twang. If you want grunge to be dead, you might as well say you want rock n roll to be dead. It REVIVED mainstream rock n roll. Thank you Seattle.

bruh, mu boat was in the shipyard in bremerton in 91. i took the ferry to Seattle every weekend for 6 months and saw most of these bands at the crocodile and met all these guys in after hours at a place called the garage. i was a douchebag with doc martins, a pair of shorts, and a red flannel tied around my waist. and no, im not proud of it. nirvana was ok. Pearl excellent. but these jack arses were as full of themselves every bit as much as kanye west or mariah carey. just different in how they attempted to pull it off on the public. huge egos! their "grunge" was all a show. they were all on H. and X. Every single one of them. and full of themselves as much as any other artist ive met (and ive met a lot).

i was 19 years old and very impressionable. I had every reason to like them and their music and few grunge bands aside, i dont. It just wasnt that good of an era.

and i would argue that THEY killed rock and roll!! Its dead today. Completely gone!! and they held its future in their hands. They held the thrown last!! And they burnt the thrown completely down to the ground because every damn on of them look exactly like each other. doc martins. ripped up shirt. leather jacket. ripped up jeans. They became a characture of themselves and their music was NOT fun. Beattles were fun! Stones were fun 9sometimes). Zeplin was always sexy. and sometimes fun. Queen was fun! Journey was fun. Fleetwood mac was fun. heck even poison, GnR, bon jovi, and def leopard were fun!! Nirvana not so much. Queensryche, soul asylum, radiohead neither. REM niether, no doubt neither. They weren't fun!! At all!! All if it was far too melo. and not enough soul to combine with the melo vibes.

so in the end....the grungers killed off the entire rock and roll brand!! and they killed it off for good it seems. its gone. and their is no way it can compete with electronica at this point. its just to easy to create more interesting beats and rhythms and sounds. waaaaay to hard to learn to actually play an instrument. so its dead. and we can thank grunge who killed it.

and the only reason they even existed was as a counter culture to the big hair bands of the LA scene that over saturated MTV and radio waves for 10 straight years. "the kids wanted their "own look" and own "sound." Well...the suits gave the kids what they wanted and rock and roll was dead.

"if blood and lust is the candy...then we...give em what they want"
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#455 » by Ruzious » Sat Mar 2, 2019 12:35 pm

Hey, if you just liked hair band type music in the 80's, there's nothing wrong with that. I just wanted a lot more to music than that. Btw, who isn't full of themselves when they're 19? Maybe even you... nah, not possible right? I'm sure you were quite the humble guy back then - just like now. The 90's were absolutely awesome. Very sad that so many of those guys are dead now - RIP Chris Cornell. PJ is still... the world's greatest band. Btw, there are still great R&R bands. It's not dead. It's just that most kids tastes are different now - just like yours were diffeent from your parents. Watch "Almost Famous". I love Greta Van Fleet.
penbeast0
And1: 8,676

Post#456 » by penbeast0 » Sat Mar 2, 2019 2:29 pm

stilldropin20 wrote:

Got to admit, I care as much or more about lyrics as I do about the music behind it. Maybe it's because I was a writer from a family of classical musicians; maybe it's because I enjoyed too many dark, depressing bands (Floyd, Smiths, Depeche Mode, Coldplay, etc.) where the message was in the words, but that, admittedly, is why I found mid 70s music so depressing and enjoyed the variety and quirkiness in the 80s. Listening to 100 bands tell me to Boogie is sort of like listening to top 40 the last few years and hearing every other song tell me to get my hands up or, if you are into hip hop, telling me about their rich lifestyle, almost makes you want to listen to Lorde, almost.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,527

Post#457 » by closg00 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:08 pm

Anyone here watching GOT? sh it is about to get real
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#458 » by pancakes3 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:24 pm

my theory before the season started was that the night king was going to bypass winterfell and head straight to king's landing.

that's looking to be more and more improbable, BUT not impossible. NK was conspicuously absent in that closing shot - it was just whitewalker lieutenants.

narratively it seems like a letdown to have THE BATTLE FOR HUMANITY take place in episode 3, and end the season with a pettier battle between Dany and the Golden Company.
Bullets -> Wizards
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,527

Post#459 » by closg00 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:02 pm

pancakes3 wrote:my theory before the season started was that the night king was going to bypass winterfell and head straight to king's landing.

that's looking to be more and more improbable, BUT not impossible. NK was conspicuously absent in that closing shot - it was just whitewalker lieutenants.

narratively it seems like a letdown to have THE BATTLE FOR HUMANITY take place in episode 3, and end the season with a pettier battle between Dany and the Golden Company.

There will be two final battles, but the writers are going to throw-in a curve ball. I think that the initial fight against the Night Walkers will be lost, but Arya will succeed in assassinating the NK.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,871

Post#460 » by payitforward » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:36 pm

Good call on arya, clos.

But... the two episodes so far have been colossally boring. Danerys is walking through her part; she has had nothing to do. Ditto Jon.

There's a whole lot of overhead/window dressing devoted to bringing Arya to the foreground.

Then there's the meaningless emotional hokum -- knighting Lady Brienne, prejudice against the worm & his gf, Arya having sex w/ whats-his-name (while the actress is obviously wearing a body suit), Tyrion/Jaime's "did ya ever think..." scene. In fact, Tyrion's whole role has come apart.

If Cercei weren't pregnant, she could have died & not only failed to join the white walkers but started a 2d army of the dead -- making it possible for them to destroy each other at a rate that made the victory of the living possible. But... they aren't going to kill a foetus in 2019 to enable that plot possibility.

Once GoT left the George R.R. Martin novels behind it's just been wandering further & further astray. Stick a fork in it; it's done.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....

Return to Washington Wizards