What is the more likely offseason scenario for the Celtics?

RealGM Polls
Veteran
And1: 10

What is the more likely offseason scenario for the Celtics? 

Post#1 » by RealGM Polls » Mon Mar 4, 2019 3:49 am

1. Lose Kyrie
2. Re-sign Kyrie, trade for A.D.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Re: What is the more likely offseason scenario for the Celtics? 

Post#2 » by Sam195 » Mon Mar 4, 2019 10:26 am

Lebron is already recruiting Kyrie because he and Rich Paul know Boston loses all the incentive to trade the farm for Anthony Davis if there is no Kyrie. I doubt a big 4 of Marcus Smart, Gordon Hayward, Al Horford and Anthony Davis will win a title.
jmdibastiani
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#3 » by jmdibastiani » Tue Mar 5, 2019 3:37 pm

Sam195 wrote:Lebron is already recruiting Kyrie because he and Rich Paul know Boston loses all the incentive to trade the farm for Anthony Davis if there is no Kyrie. I doubt a big 4 of Marcus Smart, Gordon Hayward, Al Horford and Anthony Davis will win a title.

I highly doubt that Kyrie would go to LA. Basically it seems like either he's staying in Boston or he might end up going to New York. Either way, they will try to trade for AD. Also, I don't consider Hayward part of the big names of Boston anymore. He hasn't been doing that great this year, and he's starting to look like Chandler Parsons when he first signed with Memphis.
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#4 » by jason bourne » Wed Mar 6, 2019 8:05 pm

Sam195 wrote:Lebron is already recruiting Kyrie because he and Rich Paul know Boston loses all the incentive to trade the farm for Anthony Davis if there is no Kyrie. I doubt a big 4 of Marcus Smart, Gordon Hayward, Al Horford and Anthony Davis will win a title.

Didn't you know? Gordon Hayward and his big guaranteed salary is part of the trade. His agent said that he will be back to being the Gordon Hayward next season who was famous and popular with the Jazz. Al Horford is part of the deal, too. Marcus Smart could be part of the deal, as well.

What happened to Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown, Terry Rozier and the Celtics promising young players and the four first round draft picks? Oh, that was when we thought we were going to re-sign Kyrie. Things have changed since discussing with GM Dell Demps. Oh, Dell isn't with your organization anymore? See, there you go. Things change and stuff happens.
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 233

Post#5 » by tigerae » Wed Mar 6, 2019 10:18 pm

jmdibastiani wrote:

I highly doubt that Kyrie would go to LA. Basically it seems like either he's staying in Boston or he might end up going to New York. Either way, they will try to trade for AD. Also, I don't consider Hayward part of the big names of Boston anymore. He hasn't been doing that great this year, and he's starting to look like Chandler Parsons when he first signed with Memphis.

Of course they will still try to trade for AD, but without Kyrie there's is 0 chance that AD will say he plans on staying in Boston the following year. In which case, Boston will offer much less with no guarantee from AD.

Even with Kyrie staying, there were reports of AD not wanting to stay in Boston, even from AD's father. So again, once trade talks resume and Boston is a part of them, I still don't see them giving up Tatum and/or Brown without a guarantee from AD.

There's always a possibility that they would still want to give up all their assets for a 1 year rental of AD and more power to them if they pull it off. But the Clippers will likely have cap room for AD if he wants to come to Los Angeles once he's a free agent and I'm sure other teams with cap room will be available as well if he's interested in other cities like New York/Brooklyn, Miami, etc.
IAMZOOTED2
Analyst
And1: 2,414

Post#6 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Wed Mar 6, 2019 10:47 pm

tigerae wrote:
jmdibastiani wrote:

Of course they will still try to trade for AD, but without Kyrie there's is 0 chance that AD will say he plans on staying in Boston the following year. In which case, Boston will offer much less with no guarantee from AD.

Even with Kyrie staying, there were reports of AD not wanting to stay in Boston, even from AD's father. So again, once trade talks resume and Boston is a part of them, I still don't see them giving up Tatum and/or Brown without a guarantee from AD.

There's always a possibility that they would still want to give up all their assets for a 1 year rental of AD and more power to them if they pull it off. But the Clippers will likely have cap room for AD if he wants to come to Los Angeles once he's a free agent and I'm sure other teams with cap room will be available as well if he's interested in other cities like New York/Brooklyn, Miami, etc.

This is an underrated and unreported area of consideration: what if Rich Paul is just happy to get AD to LA, as in the Clips. No, it's not Lebron James and the Show, but it is LA, huge market, and Paul and Klutch can make big things happen for him there. Add Kawhaii and another star and you got a squad
A single sharp pepper is better than a basketful of gourds.
Thatmetricsdude
Freshman
And1: 7

Post#7 » by Thatmetricsdude » Fri Mar 8, 2019 3:04 pm

If Kyrie leaves then it's highly unlikely Danny Ainge would risk trading for Anthony Davis since there is the possibility of him leaving the following year. That scenario would be nightmarish in the total assets lost and humbling for the Celtics franchise.

Also Terry Rozier is a RFA and Al Horford has a player option. Since the rules have changed to give only a 3 day match, there is a scenario where Rozier receives a front loaded deal from say Phoenix at the very beginning of FA while Irving is still taking meetings and Ainge declines to match.

Horford may decline his 30M player option in search of a longer deal ashis last big contract either with the Celtics of a younger playoff hopeful team in need of veteran leadership (Kings, Clippers, Nets).

Both of these scenarios add to further complications in both Irving and AD resigning.

Return to Polls Discussion