Summer 2019 Free Agency Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,042

Summer 2019 Free Agency Thread 

Post#1 » by Sixerscan » Wed Mar 6, 2019 9:12 pm

Seems like this is coming up a lot so a general thread about it would make sense.

Our guys:
Everyone besides Embiid/Simmons/Bolden/Shake/Zhaire are free agents. Who should we bring back (at what price)/who should we let go? :

Butler
Redick
Harris
TJ
Boban
Scott
Ennis (He has a player option at the minimum)
JSimmons (either a $5 million team option of a $1 million buyout)
Amir
Patton
Korkmaz

Other teams' guys:
Do we waste our time trying to set up a meeting with Durant, Kawhi, Kyrie ect.? Other guys you want to target?
SparksFly87
Assistant Coach
And1: 395

Re: Summer 2019 Free Agency Thread 

Post#2 » by SparksFly87 » Wed Mar 6, 2019 9:16 pm

Tobias resigned
durant , klay , middleton and no jimmy.
redick on a 1 yr.
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#3 » by agiaco » Wed Mar 6, 2019 9:38 pm

It's way too early to say who I'm bringing back. Like both Tobias and Jimmy. But have to get through the playoffs before it's even fair to take a stab at it.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,042

Post#4 » by Sixerscan » Wed Mar 6, 2019 9:38 pm

SparksFly87 wrote:Tobias resigned
durant , klay , middleton and no jimmy.
redick on a 1 yr.

So what do you do if all 3 of those guys take more money to go back to their own teams, or Durant already has a plan to go to NYK ect.

Are you just blanket against signing Jimmy or do you just first want to see if you can get one of these other guys?
M3
Junior
And1: 20

Post#5 » by M3 » Wed Mar 6, 2019 9:39 pm

Resign Tobias, Scot,and Redick

Go get both Morris twins (switchable defenders) and a guard to replace TJ.

I think the Sixers want to resign Jimmy but he leaves money on the table and joins KD, Kyrie or Kawhi on a new team to try for a ring now.
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,792

Post#6 » by XtremeDunkz » Wed Mar 6, 2019 9:41 pm

M3 wrote:Resign Tobias, Scot,and Redick

Go get both Morris twins (switchable defenders) and a guard to replace TJ.

I think the Sixers want to resign Jimmy but he leaves money on the table and joins KD, Kyrie or Kawhi on a new team to try for a ring now.

Uhh, if he would leave money on the table to try to win a ring, why wouldnt he do that here? Are you saying you dont think we have a shot at winning?
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
SparksFly87
Assistant Coach
And1: 395

Post#7 » by SparksFly87 » Wed Mar 6, 2019 9:47 pm

durant, klay and middleton.
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,792

Post#8 » by XtremeDunkz » Wed Mar 6, 2019 9:53 pm

SparksFly87 wrote:durant, klay and middleton.

We heard you the first 6 times. You must be bored today.
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Post#9 » by PhillyPhilly » Wed Mar 6, 2019 10:22 pm

The first priority should be to re-sign Tobias and Jimmy. BUT, before that happens I'm having a QUIET chat with uncle Kawhi just to test the waters. Especially after reports earlier this year suggested that Philly would be a place Kawhi would consider re-signing. If the message back is "LA", then sign the two as fast as possible. If Kawhi gives us a positive vibe though then Tobias and Kawhi it is, which would be utterly insane :D . I'd also let JJ go and sign Jeremy Lamb instead. If we can do deals with Scott, Boban and Patton too then I'd be all for it.

Realistically though I just hope we can keep Jimmy and Tobias and get Lamb. We're In a damn good position right now because If we keep this core together, and our rivals lose the likes of Kyrie, Durant, Boogie, Kawhi etc, then our odds of winning the championship go up and up.
gdog2004
Starter
And1: 706

Post#10 » by gdog2004 » Wed Mar 6, 2019 10:51 pm

PhillyPhilly wrote:The first priority should be to re-sign Tobias and Jimmy. BUT, before that happens I'm having a QUIET chat with uncle Kawhi just to test the waters. Especially after reports earlier this year suggested that Philly would be a place Kawhi would consider re-signing. If the message back is "LA", then sign the two as fast as possible. If Kawhi gives us a positive vibe though then Tobias and Kawhi it is, which would be utterly insane :D . I'd also let JJ go and sign Jeremy Lamb instead. If we can do deals with Scott, Boban and Patton too then I'd be all for it.

Realistically though I just hope we can keep Jimmy and Tobias and get Lamb. We're In a damn good position right now because If we keep this core together, and our rivals lose the likes of Kyrie, Durant, Boogie, Kawhi etc, then our odds of winning the championship go up and up.

Agree. I would resign Tobias to a max deal NO MATTER WHAT.
Jimmy I would pause on, make the call to Uncle Dennis and hope Kawhi wants to come here to reunite with Brown.
A lineup of Embiid, Harris, Simmons, Kawhi and Reddick would be death for the rest of the league.
Yes Kawhi is THAT much better than Butler.
Quint
Freshman
And1: 25

Post#11 » by Quint » Wed Mar 6, 2019 11:01 pm

gdog2004 wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:The first priority should be to re-sign Tobias and Jimmy. BUT, before that happens I'm having a QUIET chat with uncle Kawhi just to test the waters. Especially after reports earlier this year suggested that Philly would be a place Kawhi would consider re-signing. If the message back is "LA", then sign the two as fast as possible. If Kawhi gives us a positive vibe though then Tobias and Kawhi it is, which would be utterly insane :D . I'd also let JJ go and sign Jeremy Lamb instead. If we can do deals with Scott, Boban and Patton too then I'd be all for it.

Jimmy I would pause on, make the call to Uncle Dennis and hope Kawhi wants to come here to reunite with Brown.
A lineup of Embiid, Harris, Simmons, Kawhi and Reddick would be death for the rest of the league.

Bingo
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Post#12 » by PhillyPhilly » Wed Mar 6, 2019 11:21 pm

gdog2004 wrote:

Lol it depends If Brown is still here though :D . But If Brett remains, and with him knowing Kawhi personally, I suspect he would be In a position to know exactly where Kawhi stands as soon as the season is over. So there would be no need to pause on Jimmy and risk losing him.
bball4life
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#13 » by bball4life » Wed Mar 6, 2019 11:40 pm

Kawhi is theoretically a better fit than Jimmy for sure. He's also younger which is nice. But the only way he comes here is if he doesn't want to be the man and he doesn't want to go to the west coast. He's already the man on a good team and would be the man on the Clippers.

He bought a house in CA and unless he'd rather not have the scrutiny of being the focal point of the offense then I see no logical reason he would want to come here.

And lets not pretend there aren't some concerns with him as well. He must not be 100% healthy, he has sat out numerous games.
His defense has not been world class this year (he actually has a negative DRPM).

Jimmy has sacrificed a lot of touches to be a glue guy on the Sixers. He has been an efficient scorer and his RPM blows away Kawhi this year. If he's willing to be that guy going forward I think he's a good fit. He'd be a perfect fit if he could hit threes at a slightly higher rate and percentage but its not like he's table scraps. He was guarding Vucevic last night for crying out loud. He's like a better version of Iguadola and that is a great player to have on a team that has Embiid, Simmons and Harris.

I would be happy to pay Jimmy max money. I'd prefer it be for 3 years if possible due to his age but I wouldn't cry if it were 4.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,183

Post#14 » by ProcessDoctor » Thu Mar 7, 2019 12:04 am

Butler: 4-year max
Redick: 2-year deal
Harris: 5-year deal (less than full max)
TJ: offer vet min, otherwise BYE
Boban: offer biannual exception
Scott: unsure, depends on playoff performance
Ennis (He has a player option at the minimum): BYE
JSimmons (either a $5 million team option of a $1 million buyout): BYE
Amir: BYE
Patton: BYE
Korkmaz: Negotiate short deal, otherwise BYE
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Batum/Oubre/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,745

Post#15 » by Negrodamus » Thu Mar 7, 2019 12:19 am

If Jimmy is comfortable doing his current role, it's definitely a positive. I'm just not interested in sinking a massive chunk of our cap on a role player. Obviously he's capable of star production, but he's not going to get that here.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,000

Post#16 » by eyeatoma » Thu Mar 7, 2019 12:55 am

ProcessDoctor wrote:Butler: 4-year max

Which are the FA's not on the team that you pick up? If at all possible I'd want Patrick Beverly... We need another player like Jeremy Lamb, or a real 3 and d shooter who averages between 12-15 ppg who can get 20 points on any given night off the bench.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,183

Post#17 » by ProcessDoctor » Thu Mar 7, 2019 1:00 am

eyeatoma wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:Butler: 4-year max

Which are the FA's not on the team that you pick up? If at all possible I'd want Patrick Beverly... We need another player like Jeremy Lamb, or a real 3 and d shooter who averages between 12-15 ppg who can get 20 points on any given night off the bench.

I think if we keep the guys I mentioned, I’d add Danny Green with the MLE. We are sorely lacking wing depth and he’d solve that.

I like Pat Bev a lot too, and if we could get him, I’d let TJ walk and definitely bring Scott back.

Simmons/Beverley
Redick/Smith
Butler/Scott
Harris/Bolden
Embiid/Boban
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Batum/Oubre/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
FlyingArrow
Starter
And1: 1,431

Post#18 » by FlyingArrow » Thu Mar 7, 2019 7:51 pm

Signing Tobias is a no-brainer. I don't think we can get him for less than $24,000,000. And even that is probably too optimistic. Giving a max is likely. If not, at least $28-30 million. But let's assume $24M.

Assume Ennis declines his $1.8M option. Renounce all FAs including Butler. Waive JSimmons but pay his $1M guaranteed salary. All that gets us to this:

Joel Embiid
Tobias Harris
Ben Simmons
Zhaire Smith
Jonah Bolden
And $35.4M cap room. Enough for a max player. Add, say, Klay for $32.4 Million.

That leaves under $4M plus exceptions and we need to pay basically a whole bench. We aren't even bringing back what we have with that kind of money. For that money we can get 2 okay bench players and the rest are minimum salary players.

If we sign Butler, we don't have to renounce the whole team. If we sign Butler we have the option to also keep JJ, TJ, Boban, Mike Scott, Patton - or whoever we think is worth keeping. Plus... there's no guarantee we could get Klay, Durant, or Middleton (or anyone else) anyway. I think re-signing Butler is the thing to do.

To get someone else at the max instead of Butler we need...

1. Tobias Harris signs for $27M or less.
2. Some other superstar wants to come here - we don't have a great track record for that.
3. We then end up with a bench worse than what we have this year.
4. Plus we probably lost Redick and have a hole in the starting lineup to plug, too.

So here's what I'd do:
1. Sign Tobias for whatever we can talk him down to. My guess is it'll be slightly less than max. $30M to start, 5 year contract with max raises each year.
2. Sign Jimmy Butler to 4 years. Max first year, max raises in years 2 and 3. 5% pay cut in year 4 but let year 4 be a player option. If Jimmy is still at the top of his game in 3 years (age 33), let him sign another big deal either with us or someone else. If he's not, he takes the option and still gets paid. This contract still pays about $1M more than anyone else can offer, even with the pay cut in year 4.
3. Re-sign JJ (11M), TJ (minimum), Boban (8M), Mike Scott (5M). Guesses here - not sure what their going rate would be.
4. Keep Patton. Don't keep Amir.
5. Only keep Ennis if he exercises his option. (Re-consider if his play this season picks up.)
6. Waive/stretch JSimmons. (Re-consider if his play this season picks up.)
7. Sign best available with MLE. If JJ, TJ, Boban, or Mike Scott end up either being too expensive or down the stretch they play so poorly that we don't want to re-sign them, use the MLE to replace the need that opens up.
8. Hope for a great draft pick who can contribute on day 1.
9. All of the numbers I have above put the Sixers just barely into the luxury tax (4M over the limit). So instead try structure the contracts with raises that push salary into the future to avoid the luxury tax this year. We will definitely be paying the luxury tax going forward, but this year we should be able to avoid it.

It's really just running it back, but here's the squad:
PG: BSimmons / TJ
SG: JJ Redick / ZSmith
SF: JButler / Mike Scott / Ennis (?)
PF: Tobias / Bolden
C: JEmbiid / Boban / Patton

And then 1 minimum-salary signing, 1 MLE signing, and the 1st round draft pick. With those slots, biggest needs to fill are a fast, defensive-minded guard and another backup post player (PF or C). A 3-and-D wing would also be a good choice.
FlyingArrow
Starter
And1: 1,431

Post#19 » by FlyingArrow » Thu Mar 7, 2019 9:28 pm

The basic choice is:

OPTION A
*Jimmy Butler
*JJ
*Boban
*Mike Scott
*Patton

OPTION B
*Maybe Durant, Klay, Middleton, etc. if we can convince one of them to sign with us. But maybe no max player at all.
*If we get a max player, then for the 5th starter we sign one non-minimum player with MLE (but probably no one as good as JJ or Boban), and the whole bench is minimum-salary
*If we don't get any max player, then we can have a much better bench and maybe bring back some of our other pieces, but we move forward with just 3 stars and probably no chance to ever pick up another one
XDevilBoiX
Head Coach
And1: 2,481

Post#20 » by XDevilBoiX » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:02 am

No 1 priority is a new coach if Brett bombs in the playoffs. If he sticks for another year, get a assistant who could run a better defense scheme then what we are seeing right now. If they don’t fix this problem, we are going to be watching the same crap next year no matter who they resign or sign.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers