ImageImageImageImageImage

Spring Training

Moderator: JaysRule15

Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,361

Re: Spring Training 

Post#61 » by Lateral Quicks » Sun Mar 3, 2019 8:29 pm

Hernandez is scalding hot to start the spring. Rowdy gets on the board with a HR. Vladimir "Not a major league player" Guerrero Jr. 1-3 with a double. Gurriel back in the lineup today, apparently not showing any ill effects from the hit on the wrist.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
torontoaces04
Analyst
And1: 518

Post#62 » by torontoaces04 » Mon Mar 4, 2019 12:51 am

Billy McKinney is solidifying a role for himself as well
So_Fresh
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,450

Post#63 » by So_Fresh » Wed Mar 6, 2019 2:35 pm

Matt Shoemaker has looked pretty good so far in spring training. His splitter and slider has looked pretty good. I'm also optimistic about Sanchez. Looks to be healthy and pitching well in spring training. Smoaky has homered in his last two games. Watch him have a monster season. :D
So_Fresh
Assistant Coach

Post#64 » by So_Fresh » Thu Mar 7, 2019 2:55 pm

Alford and Pompey having good springs so far. We have a log jam in the outfield. I wouldn't mind entertaining offers for Pillar during the season, if it means getting a nice prospect or two in return.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,448

Post#65 » by dagger » Thu Mar 7, 2019 3:06 pm

So_Fresh wrote:Alford and Pompey having good springs so far. We have a log jam in the outfield. I wouldn't mind entertaining offers for Pillar during the season, if it means getting a nice prospect or two in return.

I'd be surprised if they haven't peddled Pillar to the other 29 teams and found the return to be less than "a nice prospect or two". They will need Alford or Pompey to make the kind of strong case for promotion that gives them the out of peddling Pillar for cheap.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
So_Fresh
Assistant Coach

Post#66 » by So_Fresh » Thu Mar 7, 2019 10:54 pm

Teoscar with 4 RBI today. Putting together a nice spring so far. I like a Teoscar, Pillar and Grichuk outfield to start the season with Pompey and McKinney on the bench.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FGN using RealGM mobile app
IceBelly05
Sophomore
And1: 232

Post#67 » by IceBelly05 » Fri Mar 8, 2019 5:47 pm

If Clayton Richard makes the team out of spring training over Ryan Borucki this FO is clueless, they delayed a potential rebuild by a few years hoping everything went well for a WC spot at best (cause let’s be real we were not better than the Sox or Yankees even if everything went perfect) also some bad luck in terms of timing of the injury to Donaldson.

But to bring in crappy vets like Clayton Richard and a d-bag like Norris when you have young guys who should be getting every opportunity to play at the big league level is dumb as hell especially for a rebuilding team id much rather see David Paulino in the pen than good ole Canadian boy John axford, and id rather see Reid-foley, Trent Thornton, hector perez learn on the fly than see Richard, Shoemaker, and buckholz at this stage of their careers.

Obviously depth is never a bad thing and we haven’t had much in the past, and trades can happen (stroman to the padres :wink: ) but to pencil these old average at best guys into spots that should be going to kids who are MLB ready (Thornton is 25, SRF pitched a lot in AAA, Perez and zeuch not far behind) is just further examples in my mind atleast of the incompetence of this FO #FireShatkins #HireSchad
BigLeagueChew
RealGM
And1: 4,088

Post#68 » by BigLeagueChew » Fri Mar 8, 2019 6:57 pm

All of our starting pitchers are a coin flip to last a full season. We dont have Ra Dickey as our 4th-5th starter anymore, everyone will get their opportunity.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,051

Post#69 » by Schad » Fri Mar 8, 2019 7:29 pm

I too find the sheer number of middling starters a little odd, but I don't doubt that we'll find inning for Borucki et al; chances are someone gets injured before they even break camp, heh.

Worth noting that SRF/Thornton/Perez, while we'd love to keep them as starters if they can manage it, probably profile better as the sort of multi-inning relievers currently in vogue. So I'll reserve judgment on that score until we know how we intend to deploy our staff; if we're Oaklanding it, with most starters going 4-5, and a 'pen with several 2 IP flamethrowers, the SRFs and Thorntons will get their innings.
**** your asterisk.
So_Fresh
Assistant Coach

Post#70 » by So_Fresh » Fri Mar 8, 2019 7:39 pm

Jays roughing up a pretty good pitcher in Trevor Williams today. Alford with 2HRs. Sean Reid-Foley looked pretty solid too in his start. So far so good!
vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Post#71 » by vaff87 » Fri Mar 8, 2019 7:47 pm

So_Fresh wrote:Jays roughing up a pretty good pitcher in Trevor Williams today. Alford with 2HRs. Sean Reid-Foley looked pretty solid too in his star. So far so good!

Bichette added a 2 run homer, as did Jonathan Davis.

Particularly good to see Alford doing well, given the season he had last year. Not only did he battle several injuries last year, I think the hamate bone injury he had the year before is supposed to sap your power for a year or so.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM

Post#72 » by Lateral Quicks » Fri Mar 8, 2019 9:14 pm

Just about everyone seems to be swinging it this spring, the outfielders especially. I really don't understand why Pillar is still on this team. Maybe he brings some intangibles the FO likes, because his performance certainly merit taking at-bats from prospects in a rebuilding year.

Also, if I hear Atkins talk once more about how important it is to have depth, I'm going to go crazy.
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
Lateral Quicks
RealGM

Post#73 » by Lateral Quicks » Fri Mar 8, 2019 9:20 pm

Schad wrote:I too find the sheer number of middling starters a little odd, but I don't doubt that we'll find inning for Borucki et al; chances are someone gets injured before they even break camp, heh.

Middling is one thing, but Richard is going to get obliterated in the AL East. Worst signing of the off-season by far. At least his $3M contract can't be as bad as Garcia's $10M signing last year. I'll be surprised if he makes the rotation, and if he does I'll be suprised if he lasts into May. They'll probably try him in the bullpen at that point, but I see very little to suggest he'll be successful there, either.
BigLeagueChew
RealGM
And1: 4,088

Post#74 » by BigLeagueChew » Fri Mar 8, 2019 10:23 pm

Orioles Acquire Dwight Smith, Designate Josh Osich. International pool money will go to Toronto in return.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/03/orioles-acquire-dwight-smith-designate-josh-osich.html
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#75 » by Schad » Fri Mar 8, 2019 11:10 pm

Shame to lose one of the large adult sons, but $500k in bonus pool is actually a pretty decent return.
**** your asterisk.
So_Fresh
Assistant Coach

Post#76 » by So_Fresh » Fri Mar 8, 2019 11:33 pm

Lateral Quicks wrote:Just about everyone seems to be swinging it this spring, the outfielders especially. I really don't understand why Pillar is still on this team. Maybe he brings some intangibles the FO likes, because his performance certainly merit taking at-bats from prospects in a rebuilding year.

Also, if I hear Atkins talk once more about how important it is to have depth, I'm going to go crazy.

That's because nobody wants him. Let's hope he has a good season so we can move him by the trade deadline. I'd rather much see the young players get some burn in the outfield.
Ado05
RealGM
And1: 5,929

Post#77 » by Ado05 » Fri Mar 8, 2019 11:56 pm

Lateral Quicks wrote:Just about everyone seems to be swinging it this spring, the outfielders especially. I really don't understand why Pillar is still on this team. Maybe he brings some intangibles the FO likes, because his performance certainly merit taking at-bats from prospects in a rebuilding year.

Seemed like an obvious candidate to be moved. I have no idea either.
So_Fresh
Assistant Coach

Post#78 » by So_Fresh » Sat Mar 9, 2019 11:36 pm

Alford sure making a case to stay on the big club. Also Hernandez with 2 hits today. Having himself a pretty nice spring so far!

Rule 5 draft pick Luciano kid has looked pretty awful so far in spring training. Don't see him sticking with the big club.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#79 » by Schad » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:02 am

Adrian_05 wrote:Seemed like an obvious candidate to be moved. I have no idea either.

Guessing he didn't draw much interest. Nice thing is that we have room in the outfield if Alford forces his way on to the team, though after the season he had in 2018, they might want to give him a chance in AAA to build on this to avoid having to yo-yo him further.

Alford sure making a case to stay on the big club. Also Hernandez with 2 hits today. Having himself a pretty nice spring so far!

That Rule 5 draft pick Luciano kid has looked pretty awful so far in spring training. Don't see him sticking with the big club.

If Luciano doesn't stick, the Royals get him back. We cannot demote him (unless they don't want him, which is doubtful).
**** your asterisk.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM

Post#80 » by Lateral Quicks » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:52 am

Alford has 4 HRs in 23 PA, but also 7 Ks. Odds are he starts in AAA to prove himself, but he certainly looks really, really good, and miles better the little we saw of him last year. Maybe that hamate is fully healed.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays